A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Oct 1 2016, 01:12 PM   #3841
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: What is happening

I hope your local library is big enough.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1 2016, 06:53 PM   #3842
Zelandeth
Firestone

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Today has mostly been clearing up the post holiday debris. We've just about found everything again I think!

Figured I'd share a photo of my car just before we set out though.

Just going on holiday like a normal family...Nope...We're not in any way shape or form a bit eccentric!

Was an amusing game on the way up the motorway watching the complete bafflement and double-takes from other drivers as we passed by.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1 2016, 11:14 PM   #3843
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
Today has mostly been clearing up the post holiday debris. We've just about found everything again I think!

Figured I'd share a photo of my car just before we set out though.

Just going on holiday like a normal family...Nope...We're not in any way shape or form a bit eccentric!

Was an amusing game on the way up the motorway watching the complete bafflement and double-takes from other drivers as we passed by.
Very nice

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2 2016, 07:31 AM   #3844
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

What is that three-wheel thing? It looks like one of the more modern electric mobility carts ...
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2 2016, 09:43 AM   #3845
Zelandeth
Firestone

I keep forgetting that it's a relative unknown outside the UK!

It was the vision of Sir Clive Sinclair of the future for personal transportation back in the early 80s, the Sinclair C5 - and a complete and total market flop. It is a great deal of fun however, especially when you live in a city with an abundance of off-street cycle paths.

Wikipedia page for it is over here if you're interested.
Old Oct 3 2016, 08:52 AM   #3846
vyon

Looks like an idea that could be re-visited now that the battery technology has caught up with it.
I thought the name "Sinclair" was familiar - we had two ZX spectrum computers. The first one died of being posted from England and the second had been mounted inside an electric typewriter.
Old Oct 3 2016, 03:27 PM   #3847
Zelandeth
Firestone

It is something that I think we're it launched now with how much greater cycle priority most cities over here have, modern battery technology and properly marketed it could do a lot better.

I'm hoping at some point to refit mine with a lithium polymer battery (probably a little over double the capacity of the original and around 1/3rd the weight), which thanks to a far flatter discharge curve and the lighter weight probably gets you somewhere in the region of 50 miles worth of powered range...rather than around 10, maybe 15 if you pedal like blazes the whole time.

The downside is that lithium polymer batteries are catastrophically expensive - the sort of pack I would be looking for would be difficult to get from a reputable source for much less than GBP500. Plus you then need the associated charger, speed controller etc...it rapidly becomes a very expensive project.

...funny how my projects keep doing that!
Old Oct 3 2016, 08:30 PM   #3848
Lily

But the results can be very satisfying and You've learned something

After all you could be spending your hard earned cash on wine women or song ...................................
Old Oct 4 2016, 03:09 PM   #3849
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I hope your local library is big enough.
Gosh, Peter, I only have about 600 books by Anne

Seriously, I will combine stuff. Hanging some artwork and use whatever display cases they have to display te expensive and non-book stuff.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2016, 03:11 PM   #3850
Hans
Master Archivist

The Lada is looking great Zelandeth! Nice colours, too. Mine was white.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 5 2016, 03:02 AM   #3851
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I thought I was doing well at 156.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Oct 6 2016, 04:49 PM   #3852
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Hey y'all. I will be holding an Anne Mccaffrey exhibition in my local library in February 2017. The librarian thinks it's a great idea. Since I am moving house I have to pack everything and thought to offer because I can then leave all AMC stuff packed
I will be posting photos here and on fb of course.
Well you do have a large collection from all over the world I'm still unpacking yet, harder, with my right hand not answer all the way.

Stay safe my friends in the path of Hurricane Matthew, I am going to have have a test done to see if I have a compressed nerve, in my right hand. Dang thing is making harder to type.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Oct 6 2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Updated infomation
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7 2016, 09:43 AM   #3853
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I thought I was doing well at 156.
You are! It's just that I'm crazier than you

Old Oct 7 2016, 04:14 PM   #3854
Lily

I'm amazed at you both! But Hans, don't you collect books in other languages too? I would not expect P'ter to do that??? Do you have other than books? I hope Anne's lovely pictures and models etc. etc ....... found a good home.
Old Oct 8 2016, 04:03 AM   #3855
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I have one or two French editions, and I found a free download of Dragonflight in Spanish for my granddaughter who's started learning it.

I also have a number of Anne's books in the American as well as the English editions.

C. S. Lewis

Old Oct 9 2016, 12:29 AM   #3856
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Is there any difference between the England and American editions

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Oct 9 2016, 03:38 AM   #3857
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Yes: different covers, spelling changes (-ize -> -ise), in the case of Dragonquest the English edition is longer with more characters.

C. S. Lewis

Old Oct 9 2016, 03:27 PM   #3858
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
I'm amazed at you both! But Hans, don't you collect books in other languages too? I would not expect P'ter to do that??? Do you have other than books? I hope Anne's lovely pictures and models etc. etc ....... found a good home.
Yes, Lily, that's one reason I have so many. They are not unique titles either because I also collected for cover art. I have all Pern hardcovers in UK and US versions and the same goes for paperbacks.

Old Oct 9 2016, 03:28 PM   #3859
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Is there any difference between the England and American editions
Yes, Michelle, sometimes an English edition has extra text or text missing, sometimes it's the other way round. We used to have long topics on this As Peter said, Draqonquest is one, but there are more. Dragonsdawn in the UK version has about 40 characters (names) more than the US version!

And apart from that they virtually always have different cover art.

Old Oct 9 2016, 04:36 PM   #3860
Lily

Oh obviously you need to have UK and USA editions then! I wonder what I've got? How do you tell?
Old Oct 10 2016, 05:13 AM   #3861
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Oh obviously you need to have UK and USA editions then! I wonder what I've got? How do you tell?
By the publisher name! The US ones are DelRey (Ballantine Books) and the UK versions Bantam Press (or Rapp & Whiting or Sidgwick & Jackson for the earlier titles).
Of course it says it all on the title page

Old Oct 10 2016, 04:23 PM   #3862
Lily

oh thank you. But that would mean going through all that small print
If I was really bothered
Old Oct 10 2016, 07:32 PM   #3863
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I had a migraine Sat. Got talked into to taking Kibby to LARP game anyway. I shouldn't have. I made her get a hotel room. There was no way I was going to try and drive 2 hour at 1 am. Normally I can sleep until headache goes away. Sunday morning it was worse. I went to E.R. to make sure it wasn't an infection. Official diagnose was headache. Took 6 tries to get i.v. in. They gave me good stuff. Headache went away. That is all I carried about. Extra expense for Kibby 100 dollars for hotel room. Maybe hubby and Kibby will listen when I tell them I don't feel up to going.

Old Oct 11 2016, 07:07 AM   #3864
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
By the publisher name! The US ones are DelRey (Ballantine Books) and the UK versions Bantam Press (or Rapp & Whiting or Sidgwick & Jackson for the earlier titles).
Of course it says it all on the title page
Lily, you probably have the UK editions, those are usually sold in the UK and the Commonwealth, with the exception of Canada, where US editions are more common. Take a look at the cover, if the suggested price is in £, it's the British edition, the American edition features prices in U.S. and Canadian $. If you just look at the writing or are reading a coverless e-book, the -our/-or difference is a dead giveaway.

I've bought most of my AMC in Finland (with the exception of a couple of books I bought or was given second-hand in the Netherlands). We often get both editions, although I must admit that I have a hard time reading the American editions of Dick Francis or Agatha Christie books, because they're so quintessentially British (or English even).

Also, the publishers Hans mentioned are for the hardcover books, most of mine, with the exception of The Skies of Pern and A Gift of Dragons, are paperbacks, published under imprints such as Corgi (British). Her collaborations with other authors (at least the brainship novels apart from The Ship Who Sang and Sassinak) were published by Baen Books (US) and The Girl Who Heard Dragons by TOR (Tom Doherty Associates, US).
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21 2016, 11:28 AM   #3865
Zelandeth
Firestone

Finally got around to testing out the dog guard rail for the car I found in a charity store here for the startlingly high price of 2 GBP a month or so back.

He's definitely more comfortable back here now we have an Estate (station wagon to those of you in the US), though still doesn't look entirely convinced!

Though was happy enough once we got to the dog park - first time I've been able to take him out in the car without needing a helper to make sure he stayed put.

Hopefully once he's a bit older and stops squirming so much we'll be able to get him a harness and actually strap him in, but this will have to do for now. Especially once I put a rug back there...poor thing has zero traction on the rubber floor mat as it is! ...Not that he's really subjected to significant G-forces in the back of a Lada...
Old Oct 21 2016, 09:22 PM   #3866
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well the test I had show that the problme is not in myarm. Next Wed I got in for an MIR of my neck. ITs gett harder to type. ALso harder to see a dry spot from my chronic dry eye has loverlaved a bad spot for seeing in my eye so it making harder to see and hard to use my whuite long cane/stick.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Oct 21 2016, 09:25 PM   #3867
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

As a long time station wagon lover, I know what you mean about the rubber mat covering that you so often find in the back. Luckily, most of the more modern US wagons are carpeted. Unfortunately, for me at least, there is only one American manufacturer still making a wagon, Cadillac. The European makes are just as expensive; Volvo, Saab, Audi, BMW, Mercedes. Japanese makes seem to be limited to the all-wheel-drive Subaru. Plus, out in the country, foreign car parts are harder to come with. So I'm stuck with my 2004 Ford.

But as an alternative solution to your doggy traction problem, look for one of the thick foam mats that they use in shops and such for workers to stand on for long periods, They're cushy and won't slide on the car's floor, as well as giving the pup traction. I found mine at surplus/salvage store. It's big enough to fill the whole back of the car, even with the rear seats folded down. And grocery sacks don't slide on it, either.
Old Oct 22 2016, 11:40 AM   #3868
Zelandeth
Firestone

Today started to plot how we will be lighting the approach and frontage of the house at Halloween.

So far I've roped in a 400W mercury floodlight with a blacklight lamp in, several deep red fluorescent lamps which will be over the front door, several hundred watts of deep orange sodium lighting, and a motley assortment of whatever else I dig out of the garage between now and then. I'm a lighting geek so this is basically an excuse to play with a bunch of my stuff...

Will probably use the massive blacklight to flood the front yard then populate that area with a bunch of glow in the dark things...

We're also hoping to have most of my costume done by then so I can assist in answering the door... that'll confuse some people!
Old Oct 22 2016, 04:11 PM   #3869
Lily

any dragons??? Look forward to pics.
Old Oct 22 2016, 05:06 PM   #3870
Zelandeth
Firestone

Being honest I don't really know what else is in the Halloween box... I'm mainly on lighting duty! First year all my stuff hasn't been in boxes.

There are four dragons here though...we live here!
Old Oct 24 2016, 09:21 PM   #3871
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I am irritated with Mom and feeling guilty for it.
In order to get back into a rehab place she has to be 3 days in the hospital. She says that no matter how sick she gets, she will not go back to hospital.
She should have gone a week ago.
Her refusal means she won't get stronger. Which means she will not ever be able to get out of bed on her own.
I do understand why she doesn't want to go. It is extremely hard to get blood or start an I.V started on her. It is almost impossible. We have told her she can demand to be knocked out for it. There are drugs that will knock you out for just a few min.
I am trying hard to be understanding, but when Jennifer has to miss out on things because no one help out for a few hours I can't help getting irritated that Mom won't help herself get better and resentful with the lack of help.

Old Nov 10 2016, 10:14 PM   #3872
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

mawra Friendship hugs if we could reach you we would physical but we can't via here electrical media, a twist on Anne McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey Ship Who Searched I know the feeling the MRI didn't show up anything wrong. But also I had glasses problems and now I need to take my computer into the shop. I am unsure how long that is going to be.

Also I salute those who served and those who family was there suporting them. Early to bed Early to rise, for the next few days staff comes ealry and I have a Art Beyond Sight on Sat.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Nov 10 2016, 11:34 PM   #3873
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

My beloved mother is driving me bonkers. We went through a 15 minute conversation last night, on rather or not she needed to be changed now. She decided she could, but would need to be changed before bed. When asked she said it would be at least an hour. I told Kibby she could take an hour long bath. 20 minutes later Mom said she eas ready to go to bed. In order to put her to bed I need Kibby'd help. Kibby had to cut her bath short.

Old Nov 13 2016, 09:57 AM   #3874
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Ah-h-h! The give and take of family life.

You give: she takes.

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 14 2016, 01:28 PM   #3875
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Has anyone heard from Lily?

Old Nov 14 2016, 05:14 PM   #3876
Lily

Hi Maw

Thank you for thinking of me

We are fine, but not so far away there's flooding, hopefully from high tides and heavy rain, that will go down. We lost electricity for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. The emergency supply of candles came in handy.

Fortunately I've always kept the house tied up as safely as possible, with strong catches on cupboard doors, and lose furniture tied down. I have a china cabinet that I suspect could be quite valuable, we tied some wire around it and screwed that into the wall which should keep it safe.
Old Nov 14 2016, 05:17 PM   #3877
Lily

And Kugai is also fine. Time you posted more than in games Kugai!!!!
Old Nov 14 2016, 08:01 PM   #3878
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Good to hear, Lily

Old Nov 14 2016, 09:01 PM   #3879
vyon

I'm OK too - in the CBD. I went with my son and daughter-in-law to stay in a more modern wooden house in Newtown for two nights because our own places were shaking so much. Their CBD workplaces are both closed due to the roads into Wellington being closed with flooding.
Old Nov 15 2016, 04:21 PM   #3880
vyon

My earthquake photos. And now we are expecting a southerly gale. Somebody said: "What's next? Locusts?

https://www.facebook.com/june.vallyon