A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Nov 14 2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (72) - Rescue Run

Rescue Run barely made it into the Anne McCaffrey Collectors Bible "Forty Years of Publishing" by Matthew Hargreaves. The 25,900 word Pern short story was first published on pages 12-76 of "Analog" magazine of August 1991. The original price for "Analog" had risen to $2,50 by that time and if you are lucky you can still get it for less on eBay or through the regular channels that are so often named here. Surprisingly enough it doesn't turn up very often on eBay. I didn't check the frequency for other sources. The cover illustration pertains to the story and it also has two interior illustrations, all by the famous Vincent DiFate. It is accompanied by a one page biography by Jay Kay Klein.

Cover of the Analog magazine of August 1991

The two interior illustrations; what they've got to do with the original story remains a mystery

Later in the same year (1991) the story was "snatched up" by John Betancourt of The Wildside Press, to be published as a limited hardcover.
Hargreaves mentions two printings of this book. The first glue bound and the second sewn bound. All copies of the first printing have in common that they all state they are a First Wildside Printing and give the year 1991 on the title page. They are issued without a dustjacket and they have padded boards. All copies are signed by Anne and by the artist who did the interior illustrations for the Wildside (and later bookclub) edtions: Pat Morissey. They all have a red cloth bookmark bound into the book. Of the first printing there are two issues: one of 260 copies bound in white plastic-coated mpaper with red foil lettering on board and spine and red endpapers (of these 10 copies are marked Presentation Copies, numbered 1-12 and the other 250 are numbered 1-250, handwritten on the limitation page in red ink). The second issue had only 28 copies so it is much, much rarer. These are bound in red plastic coated coth. Of these 28 copies 2 copies are marked as presenation copies numbers 11 and 12 and the other 26 copies are lettered A - Z, again all written on the limitation page in red ink.

Pictures of #64 of the first printing, first issue
this copy has been on eBay for quiet some time now ($140)

Then there is the second printing which consists of 500 copies. They are bound in light green plastic coated cloth with the lattering stamped in blue on the front board and spine, with pine green endpapers. The copyright page still states 1991 but in clear capitals it also states: SECOND PRINTING. These copies are not numbered but information by Wildside and Hargreaves is that 500 copies were printed. These are only signed by Anne McCaffrey, on the title page.

Title page of one of the 500 copies of the Second Printing

Here Hargreaves ends but there is one more issue he probably couldn't have known about. It appears that John Betancourt had some leftover books from the second printing. He had them bound in dark green plastic covered cloth with silver stamped lettering on the front board and spine. These are more special though because they are signed by Anne and Pat on the title page, not just by Anne alone. I do not know how many were bound and sold in this state but I seem to remember a number between 30 and 40. I'll need to mail John Betancourt again to be sure. I think I bought one of the last as the title is not listed on the Wildside Press website anymore; they were selling for $35.

Signatures of Anne and Pat on the title page of the second issue of the second printing

The two issues of the second printing

and their spines and minute size difference

Then, in 1993 the Science Fiction Book Club issued a "an exclusive Club Edition" of the Pern novella. It was issued with a dustjacket for which Pat Morissey was asked to do the art. It was published by Nelson Doubleday and has sfbc number 05448 (in a small white block on the backside of the dustjacket).

You have read above that the original printings of this book by Wildside (who are all printed on heavy, light yellow paper by the way) had four black and white illustrations by Pat Morissey. Not only did she do the artwork for the dustjacket for the sfbc edition, she was also asked to do another six pages of interior art.

Here's the complete set, the first set of four are the ones also appearing in the Wildside editions:

later were added:

Later in 1993 (possibly in November) another 30 copies of this title were issued by The Wildside Press. They held the interior leaves of the Nelson Doubleday bookclub edition. These copies however were bound in black plastic coated paper with silver foil lettering. They have grey endpapers and padded boards, like the earlier limited printings. A red cloth bookmark is bound in the book. They are unsigned and, as you can understand, very rare.

The black edition with the padded boards

The last two editions (bookclub and Wildside) are covered in Hargreaves addendum "Another Two More Years of Publishing".

There's quite a lot of Rescue Runs to be found on Bookfinder, however I find virtually all the bookclub editions there overpriced, from moderately to severely so. If you want a bookclub edition you best use eBay or half.com as prices there are much friendlier for that particular edition.

What surprised me however was that I found signed second printings on Bookfinder for as cheap as about $25 inluding shipping! One from the UK for five dimes less and one from the US for five dimes more! There's also a double signed second printing one for $47!

The numbered editions start at $121 incl. shipping and there's even a bookseller offering one of the lettered ones (the "U") for about $140 which isn't too bad I suppose, especially not if you see that colleague Barry Levin (who, IMHO always overprices his admittedly wonderful books) offers the letter "N" for $500 *shakes head* But there's even one even worse *wry grin*

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2008, 08:16 AM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (72) - Rescue Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

Then, in 1993 the Science Fiction Book Club issued a "an exclusive Club Edition" of the Pern novella. It was issued with a dustjacket for which Pat Morissey was asked to do the art. It was published by Nelson Doubleday and has sfbc number 05448 (in a small white block on the backside of the dustjacket).
This is the one I've got on my shelves. There's another thread floating around, where by someone hadn't seen it before so I provided what info I had but this definitely ups the ante and more information on the book too. Thanks Hans. I didn't realise myself that there were other copies about.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!

Last edited by Hans; Nov 14 2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: removed picture from quote
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly

Hans,

Thank you for the outstanding post on this book, it has always been one of my favorites. I will have to hunt down the Analog magazine, as I do not have that one yet. I was fortunate enough to find out about Wildside press and meet John before these books came out. As a result, I have been able to get the white first edition, the dark green second edition, and the black presentation copy (which Anne signed last time she was out here in Southern California).

I appreciate the time invested by the forum memebers in documenting these Collecting Highlights!
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Oh, nicely done Hans!!!! I do love these little special editions that Wildside does! John is such a nice man. I've never met him, lucky you Larry!, but have emailed him off and on throughout the years.
Old Nov 14 2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Thank you for the compliment. A an archivist and researcher by heart I just love this kind of work

I've acquired some items lately that I find worth a Collecting Highlight, not in the least the original second printing (light green) of Rescue Run. It's a favourite of mine too, Larry! That and remembering the thread Jube mentions made me do a CH on this nice little book.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Nov 14 2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old Nov 14 2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

There was a copy of this for sale at Albacon at the same book seller I bought the copy of Dolphin's Bell. I didn't even bother to open it as I already have a copy of the 1993 Wildside Press edition, and Rescue Run is not a favorite of mine. Did anyone from here happen to check out that Rescue Run copy in the dealers' room and see which edition it was? Just curious.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

They had both the regular edition, and the limited signed edition -- the number of which was a match for the book you bought, Cilla, which I found interesting.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2008, 01:13 AM   #8
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

As they used to say on the 'Rowan & Martin Laugh In' show:

(fake Germanic accent) "In-ter-est-ing: but stoopid!"

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2008, 02:31 AM   #9
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

I don't think it's "stoopid" P'ter, after all, we learn something new everyday. I'm not likely to get all the "rare" books that Hans collects. I just find it interesting. After all, I can honestly say I have 3 copies of "The Coelura" with different covers, (2 of them, I have currently for sale on ebay, due to an excess of them). Maybe that in itself is a collector's highlight but at least I can say, I've seen 3 different copies with my own eyes . Oh whatever will be, will be! (it's okay, I'm just having a mild grumble with myself )

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 15 2008, 11:18 AM   #10
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Jube: what I found interesting was that Cilla's copy and the one at Albacon had the same identifying number, which is SUPPOSED to be unique. The stupid bit is who ever perpetrated the forgery.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Nov 15 2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
....I have 3 copies of "The Coelura" with different covers, (2 of them, I have currently for sale on ebay, due to an excess of them). Maybe that in itself is a collector's highlight......
There is a collecting highlight on The Coelura.....it's #38.
Old Nov 15 2008, 03:37 PM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Jube: what I found interesting was that Cilla's copy and the one at Albacon had the same identifying number, which is SUPPOSED to be unique. The stupid bit is who ever perpetrated the forgery.
I think you misunderstand here P'ter (or maybe I do) but I think Cheryl meant that the limited Dolphins book and the limited Rescue Run both had the same limitaton number, and them being two different books it is just a coincidence.

Last edited by Hans; Nov 15 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old Nov 15 2008, 03:55 PM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

What Hans said. No forgery at all, just a coincidence that they'd have both of the special Pern novellas with the same number.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2008, 04:47 PM   #14
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Ah

I thought she was implying that two copies of the SAME book had the same number.

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 15 2008, 11:12 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Fantastic Highlight Hans....really lovely. I love the cover
of the Analog Magazine. The ship up against the planet...is
just wonderful. Boy!!! Would I love to have a poster of that
cover..Maybe I had better just find the right analog instead...
one more item to find and add to my collection.

Hello Larry...a fellow Southern Californian...and an
Anne McCaffery collector to boot...
Glad to have you here on MoM

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16 2008, 01:03 AM   #16
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

That's okay, P'ter, sometimes I have trouble following all the replies given too.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 16 2008, 07:21 AM   #17
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Fantastic Highlight Hans....really lovely. I love the cover
of the Analog Magazine. The ship up against the planet...is
just wonderful. Boy!!! Would I love to have a poster of that
cover..Maybe I had better just find the right analog instead...
one more item to find and add to my collection.

Hello Larry...a fellow Southern Californian...and an
Anne McCaffery collector to boot...
Glad to have you here on MoM
You can get Analog covers as prints somewhere.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16 2008, 11:01 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thanks Edith...I will see what I find out.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Nov 17 2008, 02:49 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Edith, Maelin, I found this site but those are canvas posters and they don't go beyond the late seventies... beautiful posters though!

Old Nov 18 2008, 10:47 PM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans....oh those are LOVELY posters. Too bad the only *Ship* poster that I saw...had smoke pouring out of the hatch....and the ship is sitting at a slant...seems there was some trouble in that story...with the great looking ship...

Now find me one of the *Rescue Run* covers and we got a deal

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to look Hans...

Old Nov 19 2008, 02:40 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

You are more than welcome, dear Maelin. For some reason though I think this is not the sight I (and probably Edith) saw earlier, so I'll keep looking.