A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

View Poll Results: Would you like to join a photography critique group?
Yes, I want to join! Here or AMCF, it doesn't matter. 10 55.56%
Yes, but only if it meets here on MoM. 6 33.33%
No. 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 19 2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Interested in a photography critique group?

Would you be interested in joining a constructive criticism group for photography? I would envision this being for amateur photographers who are interested in improving their skills, who would benefit greatly from feedback from others and learning how to evaluate photos with a more critical eye. See this thread in the art contest over on AMCF for example discussion.

The group might form here, or on AMCF, depending on where there are more interested participants.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Interested in a photography critique group?

I'm game if it is hosted here.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Well, lemme see if I can paraphrase what I said at AMCF. I'm interested, but I'm not a serious photographer. Perhaps there could be two threads, one for those who are really serious and one for those who are more "sporadic". Also, what happens if the "voting" turns out to be even; and, what about those who say they will only participate if this happens at site "X"? If it ends up at site "Y", are they out of luck or do they have to "change their minds"?
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

If there's enough people interested at both sites, then I see no reason why it couldn't be done at both. The polls are set to run for two weeks. I figure if/when enough people express interest, then discussion of guidelines can take place. Assuming there's enough interest here, I plan to create a new subforum of the Exhibit Hall for this.

I'm imagining there would be some loose guidelines as to how often/many pictures a person could post, along with taking the time to critique a certain number of other people's per each post of your own. It should then work to have people come and go from the group; when you show up you can post a pic and also critique the last X number of pics of others.

Last edited by Cheryl; Aug 19 2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old Aug 19 2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Sounds good!
Old Aug 19 2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Doing a bit more of a "think". As well as critiquing, maybe some of those who are more accomplished photographers could give some tips - what camera they use, why; that sort of thing. I currently have a little Nikon digital camera that I got for Christmas. It's just right for a quick photo, but I know it won't take the kind of pictures I see some people entering in the art contest at the KT. Maybe some pointers for those who don't want to/can't afford a more expensive camera to get the most out of what we've got? (now, that sounds like a line from an old song! )
Old Aug 19 2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Definitely I think we should discuss other parts of the craft besides the finished photos -- to the extent of our knowledge! I don't know how much expertise anyone will bring to the group. My pics are taken with a typical compact digital camera; I'm learning to use some of the manual settings but mostly I'm a point-and-shoot girl.
Old Aug 19 2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I think this is a marvelous idea...but I would also rather it was here at MoM. I would love to learn to take a much better photo, and a lot more about camera's and what I could expect to do with my beloved little Kodak 330.
I remember how I was ble to find my little camers, with the kind help of some fellow MoMers. It might be nice to have some further discussions about cameras, some perhaps with different capibilities and different price ranges...and also what you could probably expect from each one.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2008, 05:23 PM   #9
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I am not much a image photography, I ejoy looking at them. I am some what new at posting them. I voted over at NKT/AMCF and now here.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20 2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

I'd like to see what direction the thread goes before I say for sure I'd join in. It's a personal thing, I guess. I look at photos and I feel like the old saying, "I may not know art, but I know what I like." I got my first 35mm camera in 1968, and have been taking pictures with other format cameras since I was, gee, I don't know, 5 or 6 years old, probably. I've probably taken thousands of pictures. Some clicked; everything fell into place. Most were just pictures.

Does all this make me an expert? I don't think so. Does it give me the right to critique other people's photos? Only if they directly ask. Quick example: I'm in the photo art contest over at AMCF. I've read Kath's "unrequested critiques", and I personally don't see what she's talking about with most of her critiques. I also don't see what's so magical about at least one of the leading photos in the competition. To me, it looks like people are voting more for the photographer than the photo itself. Do I think my photos should win? Honestly, there are better shots than mine. So I'll just keep my mouth shut on everybody's work. Since I'm in the contest, I'm not voting. Vote for someone else, I'm voting against myself; vote for myself, it seems too self-centered.

So, once "the dust settles" over there from the contest, and someone starts a photo critique thread, I'll see how it goes before I join in.
Old Aug 20 2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Draco, that's understood. However, please do keep in mind that we are not talking art pictures here. This group is open to everyone and the object is not to send in pictures on an art/pro level but to lern from others' critique.

My background in photography is like yours but when digital photography set in I switched to photoshop and cheaper cameras while the developing, printing and home studio stuff including pro lighting was sold. I couldn't sell all the old cameras though, too attached and too much history of a ot of traveling the globe is attached to them

Again, this is open to everyone from snapshot taker to aspiring amateur and everybody sould voice their feelings and give (semi) tech and artistic advise when able and feeling comfy with giving it.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 20 2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
I also don't see what's so magical about at least one of the leading photos in the competition.
If you're talking about that one of mine in poll III, I'd have to agree with you.

As for what I'm saying, if you want me to elaborate on anything particular, fire away.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I think honest helpful comments, that can point out differing views/ideas and unseen/unknown problems for all levels of aspiring photographers would be wonderful. Especially when it comes from and for other members that also enjoy taking/viewing photographs.
Even when there is just polite comments along the lines of "I like it, but I'm not quite know why..." sometimes comments like these can also help boost someones confidence into taking even better photographs.

Perhaps in the future we could even have a Photo Contest of our own...one that has photos that suggest or say *Pern*[Like the clouds that Becky took, that looked like a dragon] or something suggesting something from one of the other books of Anne's......Just an idea!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Aug 21 2008, 02:55 PM   #14
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader

I haven't voted, 'cause I'm not so sure about the 'join' part of it.
I would probably read a subforum about photography if we had one here, and if I had something to say and the time to say it, I would write it in the thread.
But I wouldn't sign up for special membership as in *joining* a subforum.

But I'm guessing this isn't what Cheryl is implying?
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2008, 12:00 AM   #15
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

I''d be very interested- I love to take photos and I like hearing what people think; good, bad, or indifferent! I'm in the local photography club and we just had a critique night tonight. I have a digital SLR camera, and do a lot of landscapes but also have found kind of a side in action photography.

Photography is sorta a side hobby of mine, and I'm not a member of NKT (yet. . . ), so I think that it would be awesome to have a thread over here.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2008, 07:04 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Nef, thanks for the feedback. If I understand correctly join must be read very losely here. You will not be required to join anything and maybe it would have been better if the question had stated if you were interested in such a group or forum.

Maybe Cheryl meant the "join" part as a question if you are prepared to join in the fun
Seriously, there might be a slight difference between joining in with giving honest and valuable feedback and/or joining in te sense of contributing or posting pictres to be crtiqued.

I don't think a membership as in being part of a closed or seperate group was meant.

Old Aug 22 2008, 04:33 PM   #17
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Ok. I just voted assuming Han's description. Is there any reason why we can't have a forum both here and on AMCF? There might be some people interested who are a member of one forum but not the other.

I really like photography. I love to record the places and landscapes I have seen, and the challenge of creating images, and I love seeing the images created by others. Taking pictures keeps me sane when I'm a long way from home (and does keeping in touch with people on this forum ). I might not be able to contribute very often, but I would be interested to dip in to a photography group every now and then.
Old Aug 22 2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Allen

I like the idea of a thread for the group, in whatever forum the "powers" choose. Stuck (stickyed) would be nice, as a bonus feature, in case there wasn't any submissions for a month or so.
Old Aug 23 2008, 04:18 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

A special littel forum is always possible

Steven, I think Cheryl's idea behind here or there was that she expects the group to be small and also didn't want to "split up" the interest if the group contained people who do not frequent one of the boards. Nobody gave "only on AMCF" as answer though, so I see and expect no problems creating a forum here.

Old Aug 23 2008, 06:02 AM   #20
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Yes, I am interested, but I am only on MoM.

It could be fun Having the eye for a good photo is not always easy. I take lots of photos, but only a couple are really fantastic. How do I increase the number of fantastic photos? Is it luck or can I train my eye? Does it have something to do with the camera used?

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2008, 10:48 AM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I think I am in the same group as Steven and Nina...I love taking photos when I am out and about. I would also love to have some tips on how to take better photos more often. I also enjoy very much getting to see some of the fantastic photographs, that some of our members take and put up here for viewing.

Perhaps...a possible once a month submission,where one special photo from each of those interested photographers, could be put up for viewing, this then could then be critiqued and or discussed....or just view for pleasure. Perhaps a sign on each submission stating that it was for critique or just for pleasure. At the end of the year, maybe these could then be voted on for the best photo of the year, might be fun...just a thought!
Oh!! I and I also think it should be *Sticky* so that it doesn't get lost in the mire and the mess of everyday MoMdom.

Old Aug 24 2008, 02:29 AM   #22
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Don't confuse forum and thread, lots of people keep doing it. This is the "Interested in a photography critique group?" thread located in "The Library Cafe" forum on the MoM bboard (or forum maybe, depends on context). Forums (or fora) can't be stickied but threads can. I expect that a photography critique group would merit its own subforum (with many threads depending on theme or possibly photographer) in the Exhibit Hall forum. I might be interested in joining such a group, although I haven't taken that many photographs lately. Maybe that should change.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2008, 08:22 PM   #23
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Still catching up, will have more thoughts tomorrow I'm sure, but in brief now:
"Join" was loosely meant.
Here on MoM we would have a new subforum created, as I have the power to create it.
Old Aug 29 2008, 10:56 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sounds great

Old Sep 1 2008, 10:50 PM   #25
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

This is shameless promotion (ain't it awful!), but I just won a 1st and 2nd place ribbon in photography at the local county fair! I'd be very interested in a photography critique group.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2008, 04:04 PM   #26
Cheryl
Master Archivist

There was a group of 10 folks interested in this in either location. Two who would only participate on AMCF, and six who would only participate here on MoM. I think therefore that I will be putting my energy into getting a group going on MoM (and leave it to whomever wants to, if anyone, to start a group on AMCF).

I'll set up a new subforum by the end of the day, and we can start discussing logistics of how the group might work.
Old Sep 4 2008, 05:37 AM   #27
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

rock on! I didn't get to log in and vote but I'll add my two cents to a MoM critique group. And accept any headed my way too:-)
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4 2008, 10:13 PM   #28
Allen

Cheryl has set up the sub forum, so I thought I'd break the ice and post a couple of pics from my distant past. That way, we can have some pics to work with to help us get our guidelines established, instead of hypothetical situations.

So go on over and have fun!