A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jun 20 2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight (67) - Speaking of Science Fiction by Paul Walker

This is a trade paperback sized book of interviews by Paul Walker, published by Luna Publications in 1978. There is also a hard cover edition.

This book contains interviews of many of the great science fiction writers and I'm so very glad that Anne McCaffrey was included! Each interview is accompanied by an illustration by David Ludwig and I'll include a few of those interesting interpretations in this post also!

The interviews are about what it is like to be a science fiction writer, why they write, how they write and what they write about. It's also about the kinds of people they are. They were conducted by mail, which I found interesting. I'm only going to list the last names of the authors included in the book because there are a lot of them. Lafferty, Le Guin, Farmer, Simak, Lieber, Zelazny, Schmitz, Laumer, Anderson, Asimov, Pohl, Gold, Knight, Carr, Campbell, Moorcock, Blish, Russ, McCaffrey, Norton, Henderson, Silverberg, Ellison, Bester, Brunner, Bloch, Tucker, Hamilton, Brackett, Williamson and Aldiss are all included.

There is a lot of interesting information that Anne gives about how she writes and why she writes like she does. One thing Paul asks about is for her to give more information about actually meeting F'nor and Lessa in Dun Laoghaire. Anne says she "did meet two personalities in Dun Laoghaire who are as much F'nor and Lessa as if I had met them first and put them conveniently in the Pern series. It happened thus wise:
I'd met a young fisherman, English by birth, 23, blue-eyed, blond-haired, built like young Apollo, my friend as well as my sons'. Two houses over from his digs is a boarding house where David Gerrold took a flat while he was here in Ireland. It was Dave who told me that his landlady (an ex-show jumper and pony trainer) reminded him strongly of Lessa. When I met the gal, she sure did look like Lessa - a small frame (roughly 100 lbs in full clothing), a vibrant, sometimes violent, personality, and a 'cloud of dark hair'. When she read Dragonflight, she agreed that she was in many ways 'Lessa'. 'Far more than I'd like, Annie', she said, almost ferociously - as if I'd more or less(a) been inside her brain." Anne continues by saying that the artwork by Betty Ballantine was a shock, for the cover for Dragonquest. She says, "There on the cover, in New York City, big as life, was my fisherman. I've got a snapshot of the man in the same pose as F'nor and likeness is uncanny. Mind you, the artist was American, hadn't heard of my fisherman at all. The difference is superficial for F'nor is brown-haired, hazel-eyed. Also, the resemblance wouldn't be so startling if the fisherman were a nine-to-five clerk or if my Lessa were just a housewife, but tempermentally the two are suited to the roles in which I'd already placed them - the dragonriders of Pern."

I'd heard about this before, F'nor and Lessa being 'real' people, but hadn't heard any more than that, so this little bit of information made me smile.

He also asks Anne if she was asked to interview herself what impression does she make on you? What does she look like and sound like? Anne responds: "Well, if I were assigned to interview Anne McCaffrey, I wouldn't want to go because I hate to take interviews and I hate women authors who are successful. No, I don't. But you put me in the position of being objective about myself which is DEATH. I mean, I take a good look at myself in the mirror, then forget it.
Mirror, mirror in the wall
Ain't you got on sense at all?
Why must you drape me in a pall
Making all my muscles fall?
What you see when you first meet me is a tallish woman with silver hair usually slightly mussed up, with her lipstick half-eaten off, usually garbed in her number one son's cast-off jeans, worn out loafers, and whatever shirt happened to be clean; someone who would probably come out with unexpected remarks to confuse you and then offer coffee or tea or something to eat to put you at your ease, and then continue to do what was expectable."

Something else that made me smile when I read it. And it's Anne to a T! I'm not going to include the entire interview, but wanted to give you all a sample of it.

Here is the illustration of Anne, which is a nice likeness............

Here is the illustration of Andre Norton..................

And finally, here's the illustration of Michael Moorcock.............

It's worth the purchase price to see the illustrations!
Old Jun 20 2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Collecting Hightlight (67) - Speaking of Science Fiction by Paul Walker

What a wonderful, wonderful book and what great drawings! A true treasure. Thank you for this highlight Becky. I didn't even know this book!

Only a snippet of an interview but... I think it's published elsewhere, too and think I've read it without even knowing about this book. Ah, of course in the Luna magazine!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Default Re: Collecting Hightlight (67) - Speaking of Science Fiction by Paul Walker

Yes, I'm sure Luna magazine has this published in it also. I found this particular book a long time ago, way before I ever got hold of a copy of Luna.
I was just looking for the hard cover and pretty pricey!! I think I'll be satisfied with the paperback.
Old Jun 21 2008, 12:57 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

OH becky this is truely a fantastic find and wonderful reading what you wrote about it...very nice job. I love the art work, and will of course have to find one of these for my own collection, as I will really want to have that portrait of her.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Jun 23 2008 at 11:12 PM.
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2008, 01:36 AM   #5
~(_'>

Oh yes, love this book. And yeah, the interview is printed elsewhere, not that I could tell you where.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2008, 05:09 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

But I can

It was on Luna Monthly #56 of November 1974 and I actually bought and presented the magazine here not so long ago and produced all the pages

It's in this thread

Still, a very, very nice and true collectible, Becky

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 21 2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I've seen mention of this book before, but never gone looking for a copy. I think I might have to now....
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2008, 12:25 PM   #8
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Very nice highlight! Thanks, as always sends me on a search...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12 2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Ever since Becky did this Highlight (thanks, Becky!) I wanted this book. In a follow up post she remarked that she looked for the hardcover and found it pretty pricey...

That stuck in my head and when I recently found an nread 1st edition still factory sealed and thus in mint condition for a mere $20 (US eBay) as a "buy it now" I let out a yelp and grabbed my chance

Thanks again Becky for bringing this nice book to my attention and, without kowing it, giving me the pleasure of (again) getting a chance to get a wonderful book out of shrink wrap

Old Aug 12 2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...what a fantastic find...Congratulations now this is what makes collection so much fun...finding a great deal on a fabulous book

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Sep 24 2008, 10:11 AM   #11
Becky
Coelura

With Abby being a busy little one I'm not online as much as I was and missed this posting by Hans back in August. WOW!!!!! Lucky you! A beautiful copy of the book! Great find! (which yours usually are, Hans)
Old Sep 24 2008, 04:00 PM   #12
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Nice, find Hans! Well read more later, for I still have work to finish yet!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Becky
Coelura

I went on eBay and ordered the hardcover of this book yesterday! It's from the publisher and they had not only a buy it now, but a best offer. So I offered $15 and they took it! Can't wait to get my copy!
They published only 100 of these books in hardcover, so a rare item indeed! Thanks Hans for finding this book in hardcover! And I'm glad I finally remembered to look for it.
Old Jan 1 2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Congrats, Becky, excellent deal!

Where does it say that they made only 100 copies?

Old Jan 1 2009, 11:46 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Congratulations Becky...I'm glad that you finally remembered to go and look for one...seems that you not only found one...but at such a fantastic price...way to go!!

Old Jan 2 2009, 10:07 AM   #16
Becky
Coelura

Hans - I sent them an email asking a couple of questions about it and they responded that they published the book and made only 100 copies.
Old Jan 2 2009, 11:19 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...you are the perfect example of *It never hurts to ask questions*...
you've added very nicely to your collections by doing that very thing....

Old Jan 3 2009, 03:42 AM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Great information, Becky, thanks again

Old Jan 3 2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Becky...you are the perfect example of *It never hurts to ask questions*...
you've added very nicely to your collections by doing that very thing....
LOL! You're very right about that Maelin! I have gotten a few nice things by just asking a question or two. My mother always told me that it never hurts to ask questions and the worst thing that could happen is someone might say no. While I have been told no quite a bit, I've also been very fortunate and had lots of fantastic yes replies!
Old Jan 13 2009, 10:41 PM   #20
Becky
Coelura

My copy arrived today! Still inshrink wrap and brand spanking new!!! Thanks again, Hans for finding this book which helped me find my copy!
Old Jan 13 2009, 11:40 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hurray Becky...another addition for your fablous and ever growing collection

Old Jan 14 2009, 01:29 AM   #22
Becky
Coelura

Hans - did you ever take your book out of the shrink wrap? If so would you be so kind as to list here the publication year, etc? (that way I can leave mine in the shrink wrap!)

Thanks Maelin! I'm pretty happy to see it since I didn't think I'd find one, much less than still in shrink wrap.
Old Jan 14 2009, 02:38 AM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes Becky, I took it out At work now, will post the data later.

Old Jan 14 2009, 10:11 AM   #24
Becky
Coelura

I'm considering taking the book out of the wrap. It is a bit musty smelling and I think I should give it a good airing out. What do you think? (that's for anyone to answer)
Old Jan 14 2009, 10:14 AM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

I would take it out, have always done so with shrink wraps books. Who knows what else they may hold, like a message to the author I once opened an old book that had a letter in it from Virginia Kidd, Anne's agent. That wasn't shrink wrapped but had it been, I would have missed that!

Aprt from the practical side there's some special feeling when opening a shrink wrapped book I know you feel it too, Becky, as you once said the same.

Old Jan 14 2009, 10:11 PM   #26
Becky
Coelura

Just unwrapped it! Nothing spectacular other than the satisfaction of removing it from the wrap and being the first person to open the book! The spine crackled as I opened it just enough to remove the dust jacket and put the jacket in a cover. So it's not even been opened fully.
The publication info is the same as for the paperback, by the way.
Old Jan 14 2009, 11:51 PM   #27
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...glad to hear that you did open it up...other wise it wouldn't have truly been yours...it would have just been a book in plastic wrap that you paid for. Now you can give a true place on your book shelves...and you never know you might find some other interesting reading it now.

Old Jan 15 2009, 10:01 AM   #28
Becky
Coelura

You are so correct, Maelin! It is truly MY book now that I've taken the shrink wrap off.
Old Feb 9 2009, 12:41 PM   #29
charlene
Threadbait

Fan of: Canth
Now Reading: elvenborn

WOWSERS!!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 03:19 AM   #30
Dernok
Eskay

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I went on eBay and ordered the hardcover of this book yesterday! It's from the publisher and they had not only a buy it now, but a best offer. So I offered $15 and they took it! Can't wait to get my copy!
I offererd 10$ and accepted the counter-offer of 15$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
They published only 100 of these books in hardcover, so a rare item indeed! Thanks Hans for finding this book in hardcover! And I'm glad I finally remembered to look for it.
Yes! Thanks to you two!

There're still is one hardcover and four paperbacks left at ebay...

Will we see a MoM-Book-Run?

p.s.: It seems the papeback is also available at Lehmanns, a german bookseller, for 6,95$. And no shipping costs within Germany. 8-)

p.p.s.: Forgot the link : http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/work/suche...46017&flag=eor

Last edited by Dernok; Feb 10 2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Added p.s., added p.p.s., haven't had my first cup of coffee...
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 05:41 AM   #31
Hans
Master Archivist

Congrats on a great purchase, Dernok

Old Feb 10 2009, 09:15 PM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dernok...Congratulations on finding and purchasing one of these... and what hopefully is a decent looking edition, for a good price.

Old Feb 13 2009, 12:22 AM   #33
Becky
Coelura

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (67) - Speaking of Science Fiction by Paul Walker

Dernok - great purchase! I hope you enjoy the book, I have been.
Old Feb 13 2009, 03:44 AM   #34
Dernok
Eskay

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (67) - Speaking of Science Fiction by Paul Walker

Well, thanks.

It would have been an even better purchase if i found the Lehmanns offer before i bet on and got the paperback on ebay, too. Combining shipments overseas doesn't seem to bring the same benefits as here on the continent.
Actually i pay more for shipping (27,90$) than for the two books (22,50$).

Another lesson learned the hard/expensive way...
Old Feb 13 2009, 10:10 AM   #35
Becky
Coelura

Yep, that shipping can be nasty. Sorry it didn't work out so well for you in that respect.
Old Feb 13 2009, 11:40 PM   #36
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Holy Cow Dernok...that sure would take a huge bite out of my book budget, and it sure wouldn't help when your trying to build a decent collection.
Sorry you are having to pay so much for the shipping. Even here in the States, our mail prices have gone up...not anything like your cost...but non the less its not fun to find a book and have to pay so much to get it to you.

Old Feb 14 2009, 02:32 AM   #37
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

At least e-Bay gives you the p & p costs before you bid.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2009, 05:56 AM   #38
Dernok
Eskay

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
At least e-Bay gives you the p & p costs before you bid.
I'm not complaining about ebay. Nor the seller.

I'm a bit angry at myself for making two mistakes in a row.
First failing to check if i could get that paperback elsewhere for less or zero shipping costs and second for "assuming" and not making sure that combining shipments will result in a major saving.

p.s.: On a more general approach i _could_ complain about the seller. Almost all overseas sellers only offer shipment via air. Which is not only more expensive than transportation via surface (aka by ship) but also a lot more damaging to the environment.
Except for the apparent reason that one wants to have the new acquisition in ones hands asap i can't see why books have to be flown in. They wont go bad, dry out or starve on the journey. 8-)

Last edited by Dernok; Feb 14 2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Added p.s.
Old Feb 16 2009, 10:13 AM   #39
Becky
Coelura

This little anecdote that I'm about to post about could certainly happen when a book is shipped by air but.......
A friend of mine ordered a book and it was coming from Texas to where she lives in the US. So no big deal right, why have it sent special? Well, one would think so anyway. She went over a week without the book showing up in her mail box. She contacted the seller who said it had been shipped and to give it a few more days. She did....a week.... and still no book. The seller asked her to wait a full month. She wasn't happy but she did. Still no book. She ended up with a refund from the seller. She was very disappointed with the transaction not knowing whether the seller just didn't have the book and thought they might find a copy to send her....you know the usual nightmares you have about things like this that happen. Well....almost 6 months later the book arrives on her doorstep!!! It had gone clear around the world! It had postmarks from all over on the packaging! She did contact the seller and paid for the book. It is one of her favorite books because of it's global journey. I don't think much harm was done to the book, if any....a testament to this seller's packaging! Who's to say if she'd paid for Priority shipping or something other than regular first class mail (surface) that she'd have gotten the book in good time right off, or if this book was destined to go globe hopping.
I do prefer air when I order a book from overseas, just because of this story. It still may go awry, but I think the odds are better that it will make it to me without much frustration.
Old Feb 16 2009, 10:43 PM   #40
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW,Great story Becky...that would be my luck...to have a book I bought do all the traveling that I would love to be able to do....