A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 24 2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Big Grin Future Question Answered!

I was just having a peruse over at Hans' rather excellent Elrhans' Pern Site, and whilst reading about the Connell Bloodline information came across a statement I hadn't noticed or picked up on before.

Talking about the nomadic peoples who also travelled to Pern, "Tuaregs, Jensche and Gypsies". Tuaregs and Gypsies I had heard of, but not the Jensche so I thought I'd have a Google and check them out, but couldn't find anything obvious. A short piece of detective work on Wikipedia did help me out, and I thought I'd share with you guys in case the question ever pops up in future!

The Yeniche, or Jenische, are the third-largest population of nomadic people (or "Travelers") in Europe, living mostly in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and parts of France. They are some of the most geographically widespread in Western Europe. The term Yeniche generally refers to those living in France and Belgium, while Jenische refers to those in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The Jenische have been concentrated mostly around the Rhineland.

Mostly through important taboo systems, the Yeniche also differ culturally from the Roma and are considered a different group, though they may fall under a more generic but often more loosely defined category of Gypsy. They have their own proper Yeniche language. The Yeniche often claim to be descendents of the Celts.

The article also goes on to describe about how the Swiss government weren't particularly nice to them up until the 1970s.

I don't know if this is a help or not! But I found it of interest and it answered a question!

I wonder why Anne chose them to be among her list of nomads? Was it linked to her degree in Slavonic Languages?

Last edited by Gidget2; Aug 24 2007 at 06:26 PM.
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Future Question Answered!

Thanks for the research, Gidget!

Not sure why Anne picked this group and she's often not very good on such details when asked about detailed questions like this. I do know she included traveling folk because Ireland has such a relatively large group of them.

Ah... my site has been The Pern Museum and Archives for a long time now, my friend, but the fact you remember its old name "dates you"

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 10:37 AM   #3
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Ah... my site has been The Pern Museum and Archives for a long time now, my friend, but the fact you remember its old name "dates you"
There's always one and its usually always me LOL
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Thanks for the research, Gidget!

Not sure why Anne picked this group and she's often not very good on such details when asked about detailed questions like this. I do know she included traveling folk because Ireland has such a relatively large group of them.

Guess I'm dated too, then, Hans! I sometimes still think of it as Elrhan's site not the Pern Museum!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote