A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Freedom

Old Nov 27 2004, 02:06 AM   #1
Shani

Default Zainals Brother

He came across as one of the 'bad guys' but did Zainals brother have good reason for his attitudes?
He spent his whole life watching his older brother get all the perks and priveleges while he got the hard work. He at least got the comfort of knowing that his brother would get the very frightening 'honor' of being enveloped in an Eosi eventually while he would be spared. Then Zainal vanished and he was left to assume the responsibility for his family, maybe he had a reason to feel like he'd been cheated.

Thoughts?
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 05:45 PM   #2
Sandi

Default Re: Zainals Brother

I think the father was really more the evil member of the family. He seemed to have set his sons against each other at an early age. I think he rather enjoyed making trouble, even in his own family.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Hmm, I think his viewpoint and actions are understandable, but that doesn't mean that he's not a bad person. Some people can rise above their past and present circumstances and not become so vindictive to those they think wronged them.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 07:29 PM   #4
K'vin
Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Hmm, I think his viewpoint and actions are understandable, but that doesn't mean that he's not a bad person. Some people can rise above their past and present circumstances and not become so vindictive to those they think wronged them.
I agree.
K'vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 08:12 PM   #5
Platinum

Linyaari

I think that Lenvec had good reasons to be angry, he lived a quiet life while his brother got to live a full life. There was not as much reason though, for him to obsess as much as he did. We all are wronged in life but few react as strongly as he did.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 08:46 PM   #6
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I think Lenvec was more like his father than Zainal was, so... put that with the jealousy factor while he grew up watching Zainal get all the "perks", his base attitude is sorta understandable. Of course, add that to a certain Eosi not handling rejection well, and IT'S obssesion.... you get a mess!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 09:38 PM   #7
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

Who is Zainal and who is his brother??

or do I need to read the rest of the series
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 09:52 PM   #8
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devcca
Who is Zainal and who is his brother??

or do I need to read the rest of the series

Zainal is Kris's Cattani boyfriend in the Freedom series. He was originally slated to be the HOST for the Eosi.... when he did a runner, his brother recieved the 'honor" and thus began a manhunt to run Zainal into the ground.
Old Nov 27 2004, 10:19 PM   #9
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

Ah.. now I remember!
Thank you
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 10:27 PM   #10
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devcca
Ah.. now I remember!
Thank you
Any time, Dev. Usually, I am the one in need of a reminder of who or what something is.
Old Nov 27 2004, 11:48 PM   #11
H
Curlycorn

Fan of: Talents & The Hive

I've said it before and i'll say it again

i think although the brother was a bit extreme in his feelings, you can't blame the kid for feeling like he's been cheated !

He had none of the special priveledges zainal did !

who wouldn't be peeved?
H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 04:12 AM   #12
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I certainly would be peeved, so I don't blame Lenvec one bit. Especially as his personality was subsumed by the Eosi, and its anger at being denied the vicarious experiences of Zainal's previous life.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 06:20 AM   #13
LisaMaria
Inactive

I think Lenvec had every right to be angry. Not only did Zainal grow up with all the perks of being "chosen" while he had none but with Zainal gone and Lenvec having to take his place, Zainal basically sentenced him to death by being subsumed. That would make me pretty mad!
LisaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 11:26 AM   #14
Vilkacis
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath
I certainly would be peeved, so I don't blame Lenvec one bit. Especially as his personality was subsumed by the Eosi, and its anger at being denied the vicarious experiences of Zainal's previous life.
I would have thought that should make an interesting change for the Eosi. Assuming all of its hosts had led similarly exciting/favored lives to Zainal to finally receive a host who has led a relatively quiet life complete with a family and all the associated emotional experiences that the Ix had presumably had no prior experience of should have been a novel, and not necessarily unwelcome experience.

As regards Lenvec - I think he was a pretty mean and bitter guy but then he did have to watch his big brother (I assume Zainal was the eldest anyway) getting all the favourite son treatment, and then had to raise his kids as well so that Zainal could get on with the business of having fun.
Vilkacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 12:16 PM   #15
Linmag
Glow

I think Lenvec had every right to be peeved. Zainal got to live a very full and exciting life. Sure, he was actively discouraged from forming a permanent relationship with anyone, including his kids, but until he met Chris I don't think that bothered him particularly. Lenvec, on the other hand, got the responisbility of raising Zainal's kids, but also the opportunity to form a life-mate relationship and to get to know his own kids, with the prospect of inheriting the family estates to look forward to. Then suddenly big brother renegues on his contract (ok, there were extenuating circumstances) and Lenvec has to leave his wife and kids and give up all the plans and hopes he had for the future; all the things he hadn't got around to doing because he thought he had lots of time. And for what? A living death! I think he had a right to be a lot more than peeved!
Linmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12 2004, 01:12 AM   #16
Faren

Loo Cow

Fan of: Talent and Freedom Series
Now Reading: Invisible Prey, John Sandford

Yes indeed, I don't blame him for being angry, frustrated, bitter, whatever. I agree that the father is the real monster in that bunch. Well, no, the Eosi are the monsters.
Faren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2005, 02:39 PM   #17
Dux
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani
He came across as one of the 'bad guys' but did Zainals brother have good reason for his attitudes?
He spent his whole life watching his older brother get all the perks and priveleges while he got the hard work. He at least got the comfort of knowing that his brother would get the very frightening 'honor' of being enveloped in an Eosi eventually while he would be spared. Then Zainal vanished and he was left to assume the responsibility for his family, maybe he had a reason to feel like he'd been cheated.

Thoughts?
I also think his bro got the short end of the stick. He never got any of the perks and all of the *shudders* negatives that went with becoming one with an Eosi.
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2005, 11:00 AM   #18
Saphirdrache
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Lunzie, Freedom etc
Now Reading: Uller Uprising

Yes, i feel that Lenvec certainly had reason to be jealous of Zainal. As was stated, he had to more or less sit back and watch his brother get all the accolades, excitement, superior treatment and considerations. And the part about raising Zainal's children always gave me a moment of pause. Why weren't Zainal's children raised by the female(s) that bore them? Or is this something within the culture to protect and seal bloodlines within the families of the Chosen?

Also, i have the impression that Lenvec began to loose his mind towards the end. Does anyone else sense this too? It seems to be reflected in the images and emotions that Ix uncovers when he makes a mental touch with Lenvec's presence in his mind after the enveloping.

I feel for Lenvec, and for Zainal. And in a way for the father too. He was being forced to produce sons for the Choosing, and seemed to have "an offer he couldn't refuse" by the Eosi on his entire bloodline. The books seem to suggest a powerful obligation that his family line has been suffering under for many generations. That had to have been a collosal weight to bear up under. I too would hate to face a powerful and angry Eosi who is being denied a Chosen to envelope!
Saphirdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29 2005, 10:41 AM   #19
Brenda

Lenvec's anger was so strong that it remained even after his identity and personality were subsumed. It was enough to intrigue the Eosi Ix, which investigated Zainal. After Zainal, and Botany in general, thwarted Ix a few times, Ix got obsessed with destroying him.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 10:34 AM   #20
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.

i can't blame lenvec for feeling cheated. but i think that his father and maybe (i hate to saythis, i love Zainal soo much as a character ) but maybe he's to blame too. we don't know alot about Zainal as a kid, but if he just took all the privilages and didn't really exploit them, as Lenvec does with his few, that could have angered the "left out" brother. or maybe if Zainal had bragged about them, or did something else, Lenvec's anger would been directed differently.
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 05:10 PM   #21
Brenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilkacis
I would have thought that should make an interesting change for the Eosi. Assuming all of its hosts had led similarly exciting/favored lives to Zainal to finally receive a host who has led a relatively quiet life complete with a family and all the associated emotional experiences that the Ix had presumably had no prior experience of should have been a novel, and not necessarily unwelcome experience.
It states that the Eosi prefer hosts with a lot of experiences, which is why Zanal got all those perks.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote