A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old May 8 2007, 08:03 AM   #1
J'han
Welladay Whale

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer
Brown A small spanner in the works of my life

Ok, so, awhile ago I posted on here in regards to my job. I don't know who remembers that, but pressing on. I was forced to resign about a week ago, I have 150 dollars in my bank account and jobs are slim on the ground.
I will have to move if I can't find a job soon. If I don't have a job by June I will have to sell everything I own and pack off in my car, sell my car when I get to where I'm going, and start over.
On top of this, my parents have decided the ywon't even help me with work overthe summer (I usually work on houses for them).

Will I survive? Yes. Will it be fun? No. BUt, even if I end up leaving for quite sometime, I will do ANYthing to keep on living off of the streets.

Homelessness is my last stage. If it comes to that, I'll probably kill to go to jail, because starvation and being sick and frozeb to death is not anywhere near as preferable as being locked up for life. At least I can read, no?

Ok, so I'm half joking with that last bit. Half.

Seriously, though, this is a huge problem for me. I have nowhere to go, no one to turn to. My hatred of this false world we humans have created is peaking, and my situation that is approaching only hardens me to the compassion I used to feel. Even now, I see the people on the street and think: "That's me without a car."

Oh, and I couldn't file my taxes, due to not getting my W2 stub from the work I was just at...SO, I'll prolly be audited...But, what's that compared to all else? What can they take from me that I have to get rid of anyway?

This life is pointless, and, should a deity/deities exist, I hope they hurry up their end of the world. I'm bored, pissed off, and ready to ship off to Pern. Because I hate everything...

Well, ok everything in general, not specifically.
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: A small spanner in the works of my life

I'm at a loss for good advice at the moment, but try to hang in there and know that there's a bulletin board full of people wishing for your success.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I'm sure we all wish you the best J'han and yes, I for one, do remember your job problems. Darned inconvenient that, while the economy and the demand for jobs seem to increase (in a major way) over here in Europe, that;s apparently not the case in your neck-of-the-woods. Double drat.

Hang in there, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2007, 12:13 PM   #4
SuzyQ
Ssli

Fan of: Talents
Now Reading: Need more time!

J'han - What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger! Sorry that life isn't being kind to you right now. Hang in there.

Have you contacted any of the Temporary Employment Agencies in you area? They might have something that will at least keep you going. That is how I found my full time job.
SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2007, 02:04 PM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Just hang in there!
Haven't you got the dole over there?
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2007, 04:12 PM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Isn't there any fruit picking around Nappa Valley? Or something similar. surely you lot can't have mechanised EVERYTHING! Over here there's usually something going in the market gardens.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Deb

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

Even if it's McDonalds & Burger King!! A couple of part-time jobs can help you over the hump this time period is presenting. This time of year may actually be good for you as many places have many more openings than usual, knowing that there are students to hire. Many recreational/amusement parks of all sorts hire for the summer......

Though it seems grim, and it may seem that all have abandoned you....remember you have all of us here thinking and pulling for you!! Stay tough and keep your head above water!!
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2007, 01:03 AM   #8
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

I am so sorry to hear of your plight! It's absolutely horrible these days. I've been working in the stage union with my boyfriend (who is a cardholder) and some of the things I've seen... well, we're moving to a different state for starters. There are times when we just don't know what to do. Please remember that there is a caring group of souls here with cyber shoulders to lean on!
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2007, 03:15 PM   #9
Khaki
Inactive

Fan of: Pern/Tower&Hive +
Now Reading: The Skies of Pern

It's been a long time since we were in that shape. But once we moved several hundred miles with just what we could carry in a car. No jobs, no place to go and a cat in a carrier. Quite an adventure! We made it and you can too. Keep hanging in there and know you have people who will send a positive thought your way. Success to you and soon!
Khaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2007, 04:51 PM   #10
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I've been in some tiht situations too. I'm very licky though. Apart from my main work in architecture (I've been made redundant three times in that!) I'm also a pool life guard and qualified swimming and fitness instructor. So, in the lean times, I've mamnaged by using my other "strings". Which reminds me I'm also and archery teacher!

Hang in there and plan for the next ten years. What would you REALLY like to do? Run a fish farm? Build boats? Research it and get going.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2007, 09:25 PM   #11
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

If you like constution you might try New Orlens, I believe they are STILL doing a lot of rebuilding.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2007, 02:47 AM   #12
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I'm sorry to hear of your plight J'han. Hang in there!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2007, 10:18 PM   #13
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Isn't there any fruit picking around Nappa Valley? Or something similar. surely you lot can't have mechanised EVERYTHING! Over here there's usually something going in the market gardens.
Well, if that's the case, he better hope he has no proof of citizenship and speaks Spanish. (Fruit-picking is one of those things we have Mexican illegals for.)

I wish I had some advice, J'han. Besides keep looking, and try craigslist. I work two jobs and found both of them there.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote