A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Sep 19 2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Brenda

Default Brenda's Photography

I recently was going through old emails and found some photos that I had scanned and sent to myself because I didn't have anything to save them on!

Here they are!

Autumn Leaves
Here I just gathered all the colorful leaves I could find and carefully arranged them upside down in the library scanner! It worked better than I could have hoped!

The rest of these are from a black-and-white photography class a few semesters ago. I took the pictures with a manual camera, developed the film and printed the pictures myself!

Bookshelf
This was part of a project where we had to take four pictures that "represent yourself". I like how the little stuffed dragon is looking at the dragon on the cover of the book!

Birdhouse
Birdhouse2
These are of one of the hungry babies of a family of European tree sparrows that has been nesting in our birdhouse for the last few summers! (European tree sparrows live in a very small area of Missouri - the same one we do, apparently!) You think you've got stress? You think you've got determination? These birds raised four broods in one summer.

Lattice
Spider webs in a wicker lattice. Taken during a field trip to the Missouri Botanical Garden (if you're ever in St. Louis, GO THERE!!!) on a special trip to Teahouse Island in the Japanese Garden. Normally Teahouse Island is only open during the Japanese festival - but our photography instructor's husband works at the garden and snuck us in!

Big Spring
Big Spring in Missouri is America's largest spring, pouring over 200 million gallons of water per day into the Current River. I was really pleased with how the churning water turned out - clear, but obviously in motion!

Staircase at Big Spring
Along the trail at Big Spring is an old stone staircase down to the water.

Round the Bend
The Chain of Rocks Bridge used to be part of Route 66. It's no longer in service for vehicles but was rehabilitated a few years ago for pedestrians and bicyclists. The "chain of rocks" is a series of rapids just downstream of the bridge. You can see the Gateway Arch from there as well. I called this photo "Round the Bend" because of the 22-degree bend in the bridge - you can see through the railings to the other half of the bridge!
Here's the wikipedia entry! Chain of Rocks Bridge

Dragonleaf
Amazingly enough, I took this picture of a shadow but didn't see the dragon until later!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19 2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight
Default Re: Brenda's Photography

Those pictures are really nice.

I love the one of Big Spring - both of them actually. Sometimes a B&W picture is better than a full color one.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2006, 03:28 AM   #3
Apocalypse
Madam, HPD

Fan of: Dragon's Dawn
Now Reading: Dragon's Dawn

You take great pictures! The Dragonleaf one is really cool!
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2006, 06:59 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Wow Brenda, those were awesome!

Your Big Spring pictures are making me nostalgic -- I used to canoe the Current River every year with my Mom, when I lived in the midwest.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2006, 08:44 AM   #5
Lucidragon
Crafter

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Got Naomi Novik's 4th for BD
Green Re: Brenda's Photography

Great photos Brenda! The dragonleaf is just soooo awesome - you should have prints done of it - I'd buy one!
Julie
Lucidragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Super pictures Brenda! Thanks for sharing and making me homesick! I'll be calling home after work tonite to talk to my parents.
Old Sep 20 2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Brenda, I love the photos, especially the Dragon Leaf one, that one is just fantastic.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2006, 07:04 PM   #8
Brenda

I know. It's always the one you didn't spend much time setting up that surprises you!!!

Someday I might try to do something with these, but I never really got very adept with the whole process. I went through a lot of trial and error to get those printed right - I had a lousy teacher for the first semester of basic stuff, so I never knew quite how it all worked. (It was a summer course, which to him apparently meant it was okay to blow us off. The next semester I had the tough teacher, who didn't think much of him but didn't do much to help me get things figured out.)
Old Sep 20 2006, 07:42 PM   #9
Sandi

Brenda, these are works of art! Thanks so much for sharing them.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Brenda

My sister Joanne visited me last weekend, and we drove out to Giant City State Park in Illinois. It's got huge sandstone formations, which were covered in huge icicles. There was snow everywhere. It was beautiful.

This picture is from January - I went with a group to Mingo National Wildlife Refuge, a cypress swamp which was frozen at the time. We went to look for eagles, which come to feed on the migrating waterbirds. Because there was only a small patch of open water, they were having an easy time of it! (There were telescopes set up - it was almost all the way across the swamp!)

Mingo Swamp in January

The rest of these are from the trip to Giant City.

Stream
Ice Waterfall
View
Ice along ledge
Brenda in the woods!
Layers - it was really cool, covered in moss and ice!
Joanne under a rock
Old Feb 24 2007, 03:24 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Very nice photography, Brenda!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2007, 06:17 AM   #12
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Great pictures Brenda!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2007, 07:20 AM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Giant City?!!

That's like, the backyard of my parent's house! Okay, not really, but Giant City is just minutes from Carbondale, and I've been there a bijillion times before on hikes and picnics and camping.

There's a place here that I discovered about a year ago, Loch Raven Reservoir, that reminds me of Giant City -- so I'm very fond of it! It lacks the large sandstone boulders and exposures, but it has the right hills and tree mix to feel just like the park of my childhood. That, and the fact that I've spotted bald eagles and herons along the spillway on different occasions.

Funnily enough though, I don't know that I've been there in winter ice and snow before. But it still looks nice and familiar in your pictures -- so thanks for sharing them!
Old Feb 24 2007, 08:52 AM   #14
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Lovely Brenda,
Thanks for sharing!!!
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2007, 01:40 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Brenda, I love the new photo of the stream in winter....that one would make a beautiful painting. You are a very wonderful photograher...you have a great eye for what makes a lovely subject. Do you display your work in your home? Do you give it or sell it to others? Keep up the wonderful work...I look forward to seeing more of your work.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25 2007, 12:06 PM   #16
Brenda

I have not sold any before, but I am planning to try some freelance eventually. I really do love "framing" pictures, figuring out how best to portray something that just happens to be there! Part of it's being at the right place at the right time, the other part is aiming the camera at the right place and the right time!

I was amazed at how well these scanned from 4x6 inch prints!

Oh, and a funny story: I emailed these to my mom and she wrote back saying that the last one "looks like Jabba the hut is eating Joanne!" On her own, Joanne also said the same thing!
Old Feb 25 2007, 12:44 PM   #17
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Now Reading: as usual

These are fantastic.

If you're interested in seeing how well your photographs would sell and whatnot, it may be beneficial to get a deviantart account and upgrade your print account. I'll PM you some more of the details if you like. They're very easy to use, and you can take your pictures down at any time you like should you want to set up your own online printshop or something...^^
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25 2007, 04:29 PM   #18
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

Very great pictures!! I love the Dragonleaf, especially!

Also, I have that exact same stuffed dragon sitting on my Anne McCaffrey shelf!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2007, 04:09 PM   #19
Brenda

I've considered the Print option at DeviantArt but haven't really looked into it. If you have any suggestions I'd be grateful!
Old Mar 4 2007, 04:17 PM   #20
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Well, for the price it is I'd say you might as well have a go. Unfortunately, what with me having a million and one other things to do, I've only submitted one print, and it hasn't sold anything as yet...But I believe it's only £12.89 for a year, and if you sell...I think it's three or four prints...you at least get your money back.
Old Mar 4 2007, 05:17 PM   #21
Brenda

Now that I think of it, I should post my photos from Theodore Roosevelt National Park! I worked there at the North Unit in summer 2005 - badlands, big skies and bison! (Or buffalo, if you're like me and prefer the fun word over the scientific term!)
I'm pretty sure I posted these before at some point, but I'd like to have them in this thread. So without further ado:

Bison calves are incredibly cute!

Edge of the Prairie - The upper prairie drops down into the badlands that line the Little Missouri River.

Edge of the Badlands - This is where the badlands begin.

Cottonwood Reflection - The campground at the North Unit is close to the river, so there are cottonwood trees and actual lush green grass. The reflection wasn't that hard to find, since that summer saw the average annual rainfall just during the month of June!

Dark Clouds - Did I mention big skies?

Swallowtail butterfly on showy milkweed - I had my dad's manual camera with me, including the telephoto lens, so I was able to get some neat close-ups!

Bentonite flows - Bentonitic clay is a really strange substance which absorbs incredible amounts of water and then flows. It gets a "popcorn" texture because it spreads out so much and then dries up. The dark blue-gray stuff on top of the butte is bentonite, and has overflowed down the sides. The twisted dead trees just made it more interesting!

Bison Blockade - There are traffic laws in the park, but the most basic one is a no-brainer: Buffalo always have the right-of-way. It was great to see a whole row of them forcing the huge RV to creep along!

Fog in the Valley - One morning I got up very early so I could drive out into the park and see the sunrise. (I was living in Park housing just at the entrance of the North Unit.) Much to my surprise, the whole valley was full of fog! It was quite eerie to drive through, but even more amazing was driving from the valley floor up onto the prairie, and then looking back down at the fog! It looked like waves lapping against a rocky shore. Definitely worth getting up early.

Fog over the hill - By the time I headed back the fog had begun to dissipate, but it was still visible blowing over the hills... again like waves washing.

Turkey Mating Dance - As I continued to drive back, I was privileged to witness the mating dance of the American wild turkey! Several toms with their tails fanned, dancing and gobbling, completely ignoring me! I took this through the car window!

Startled Mule Deer - I swear I saw more wildlife on this one drive... I love the way deer stop to look back at whatever startled them! In case you wondered, the mule deer is named for its big ears!

Buttes & Flowers - I took pictures of a lot of flowers, but the field of view really worked out nicely in this one! I never did identify it, but I'm pretty sure it's a type of clover.

Spider - I was setting up the tripod for the previous shot and almost ran into this guy! It was such a big, pretty one that after I took the flowers I turned around and got him! I am awed at how clearly it turned out. Actual size... the body was about the size of a dime.

Snacktime for a hungry bison calf! This one was born later in the summer; the others had lost their red coloring by then. I saw this pair a lot, new baby and mom with a twisted horn!

Horses Visiting - Twice I drove down to the South Unit of the park, which is about 50 miles away but closer to 75 miles if you're not a bird. South Unit is right on the interstate, and the entrance is at the tourist-trap town of Medora, so it has a LOT more visitors - but North Unit has more rugged scenery. Both have bison, but only the South Unit has horses! It has both a herd of feral horses, and a ranch from which trail rides are led into the park. On the day I drove down I was utterly delighted to find the wild herd visiting their neighbors in the corral! There were at least three foals in the wild bunch!

Rabbit With a View - Before you read my description, go look for the aforementioned rabbit!
This is taken from the top of Buck Hill, the highest point at the South Unit. I walked up there to eat my lunch and startled a rabbit, who dashed under a rock! Since I wasn't making any noise he soon came back out and was lounging in the sun. It was warm out but windy, so whenever a cloud came over it was quite cool. And clouds kept coming over. So he would stretch out in the sun, and then it would get cool and he would have to huddle, and then it warmed up and he stre-e-etched out again... I watched this for about ten minutes before starting to take pictures of the scenery, and after that I couldn't bear not to include him in them!

Horses Heading Out - As I drove back toward the ranch, the wild bunch was just leaving! The crossed the road right in front of me and I dove for the camera! I love the buttes behind them.

Longhorn Circle - The North Unit may not have wild horses, but it does have a herd of longhorn cattle! Or at least it used to. Some genius ordered that they all be steers, because that's what the cowboys would have been dealing with. (Yoo-hoo, steers aren't too good at procreation...) So now the number is down to four oldtimers, who hang out in the same place on the sage flats every day, to the point where the pullout is called "Longhorn Pullout"! This picture makes me wonder if they have had a fight and are not speaking, or if they are trying to make use of Feng Shui.

Oxbow Overlook - This is where the edge of the glaciers were. Right here. The Little Missouri River was blocked from its channel into Hudson Bay, and instead was forced to take a 90 degree turn eastward and flow into the Missouri River. Right here at this Oxbow. When the glaciers melted, all the water that was released charged through the valley and created the badlands.

An Unexpected VisitorTake a look first!
I mentioned I lived in housing just within the park... but even so I was quite amazed to see this critter out in the street! I ran for my camera and ran outside, and he waddled a little faster toward the only tree in the area, a tiny little cottonwood which he charged up! It was only the second time in my life that I had seen a porcupine!

Hello up there... This one's not as picturesque as the others, but I thought you'd like to see a close-up of my unexpected visitor! He was pretty mad! He was really glaring at me!

Rainbow at Riverbend Overlook - The rainbow didn't scan so well in this one but it was sure amazing in person! I kept taking pictures of it because it kept getting even brighter! I had to trek around a bit to get the angle right for the rainbow to be coming down over the shelter at Riverbend Overlook - that little stone shelter was built by CCC workers during the Depression. Did I mention big skies?

Rainbow Over the Badlands - this one is truly amazing in the physical print, and it scanned pretty well. This rainbow just kept getting bigger, and brighter, and bigger, and brighter... Did I mention big skies?

Valley at Sunset from Riverbend Overlook. (By the way, if anyone's wondering... YES, Riverbend Hold in my fanfic is named after Riverbend Overlook at TRNP! I just couldn't get it out of my head!) It really is green down by the river.

Prairie Sunset - it's not a tall-grass prairie, but I got an amazing silhouette all the same!

Did I mention big skies?

Northern Lights - Two different nights I drove out up to the prairie to take pictures of the stars. That night sky was the most amazing I've ever seen or probably will ever see: High plains. No artificial lights. 360 degree view. Class 1 air quality. I have NEVER seen the Milky Way like that. I figured I had better take advantage of the opportunity! I had my dad's tripod and I wanted to take some pictures of star trails! I had some black-and-white film but wanted to try color first. I took several exposures of various lengths. As I was drowsing in the car where I had taken refuge from the mosquitoes, I noticed a kind of glow in the air just above the horizon. It was in the same direction as the nearest town, so at first I thought it was just those lights... but then it turned into this green band, and then it started doing that rippling curtain effect, and I knew I was seeing the northern lights. I took an exposure of several seconds - I don't really remember anymore. The picture turned out more spectacular than what I was actually seeing, because of the long exposure; and when I scanned the print it improved the contrast and made it even more amazing!
The star-trails didn't really come out on the color film. I got some really good star-trails and constellations on the B&W film, which I developed in the darkroom at the community college I was attending, but which I never got around to scanning. I will someday!

Bison razz - toward the middle of July the bull bison were in rut. I got a chance to observe this, because they were blocking the road again! They were making this incredibly loud grunting roar, extended for very long lengthes of time, and sticking their tongues all the way out in the process! It was too good to pass up. It's kinda purplish, you'll notice; also, it looks like this big guy's been doing some battle if you look at his horns!

I hope you enjoyed these photos and the stories behind them!
Old Mar 5 2007, 08:04 AM   #22
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Wonderful Brenda! You have many many beautiful shots in there!

(and it's just getting odd that you've been so many places I have... I spent a few days camping in TR Park with my in-laws several years ago.)
Old Mar 5 2007, 08:07 AM   #23
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

The Mule Deer and the Northern Lights especially caught my attention amongst those shots you got...^^ The detail on the spider is also really cool.
Old Mar 8 2007, 09:33 PM   #24
Brenda

And those are just the ones I scanned!
Old Mar 12 2007, 03:19 AM   #25
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

How remarkable! The rainbow is amazing and I really liked the dragonleaf too. Wow.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote