A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern > Science of Pern

Science of Pern This forum is for Edith's Science of Pern project. Please keep each post to one subject, and stay on topic; off topic posts may be moved or deleted. Guests may post in this forum (subject to change).

Old Sep 11 2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Science of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post

Minerals
SOP: Aluminium?
I'm pretty sure there are references to Bauxite (i.e. aluminium) in DDawn, as well as the rest of the rather limited mineral wealth of Pern.

As far as HNO3 goes, flamethrowers were developed in DDawn, but I'm not sure if they describe what chemicals were used in those ones or not. Although isn't that the first place we here HNO3 slurred into agenothree?
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14 2006, 07:46 AM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Science of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
I'm pretty sure there are references to Bauxite (i.e. aluminium) in DDawn, as well as the rest of the rather limited mineral wealth of Pern.
There's a reference in SOP (I think it might even've been Toric about "box-something or other" which is then described as light-weight and malleable.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15 2006, 04:17 AM   #3
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Minerals

Yes, just read that passage this morning.

It IS Toric, and he's undoubtedly referring to Bauxite/Aluminium. The bits in -Dawn, are mostly passages centering on Sallah's POV while various prospecting is being done, or the results are being shared.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15 2006, 04:45 AM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

oooh...
I forgot about those...
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1 2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Unregistered

Wink GDEyZBdoyv

mass.most-wanted cmd.exe-tricks l.a.-fitness-san-marcos giant-eagle.com hard-disk-1.8-inch modem-enf656-ehw-inpr-driver.zip dark-pics.com-quantcast dlactrlw.exe-what-is-it t.s.-eliot-possum david-price-v.-william-lawson lt.-robert-e.-lee-riverboat get-d.o-t-icc-authority jj-dark-rational-for-1.5 possum-pt.-players-georgetown-de franco.moreno hardsite-.to.rr find-that-song.net comcast.digital-voice epa-administrator-stephen-l.-johnson darkpics.com-quantcast

Last edited by www.vystarcu.org; Sep 10 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: xghlFIBQZKWMT
Old Oct 2 2006, 06:24 PM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

In that case Pern must have a reasonable supply of boron.

Off this topic (but link to elsewhere): boron can be used as an igniter for explosive reactions, so might be what dragons use.

It's also supposed to be useful in control/treatment of arthritis and, according to webelements.com, I contain about 1/20th gram of the stuff.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3 2006, 01:53 AM   #7
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Dragons don't need anything to ignite their flame, that's the point of using phosphine in the first place, since it can spontaneously combust in contact with oxygen at normal atmospheric pressures.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2016, 11:28 PM   #8
alanspik
Muskie

Fan of: Fandarel
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Just a thought that occurred as I was rereading the series in chronological order. The dragon riders are all set to become asteroid miners. They have space suits. They have dragons to alter the orbits of bodies approaching pern. Why not put them in orbit and mine them for all that metal. Even a small body could have many tons of metal.
alanspik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2016, 09:15 PM   #9
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanspik View Post
Just a thought that occurred as I was rereading the series in chronological order. The dragon riders are all set to become asteroid miners. They have space suits. They have dragons to alter the orbits of bodies approaching pern. Why not put them in orbit and mine them for all that metal. Even a small body could have many tons of metal.
More like asteroid watcher in The Skies of Pern. Yes they might do that later, if they keep the technology up, which was their plan.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2017, 04:31 PM   #10
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanspik View Post
I'm not sure, the populace seems to have a mind that things in space need to stay there.

Know there is iron on planet (can't do steel without it), and copper (distance writer). of course box something or other got a chuckle. All the Weyrs had AIVAS discussing possible alloys, and not possible, with Fandarel. So there is the probability that there are other metals, and elements available, though they had not been incorporated into the smithing, or had fallen into disuse by the time of Present Pass.

I think what Pern was lacking specifically was radioactive ores. most of the commonly used metals can be found on most rocky planets. Iron, nickel, copper, Aluminum. Boron and silicon has to be in abundance, since the indigenous life had it incorporated in their genetic structures. Which is why it was left for agrarian colonization. I recall no mention of glowing rocks that killed people who stayed close by for too long.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2017, 08:47 AM   #11
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

You also need the technology to mine and smelt it. The means of making extremely high temperatures, for example. Iron and copper are relatively easy, I've met people who smelted that at home for making medieval armour, though I don't know what they started with. Ironsand? Our west coast is famous for its black ironsand beaches, and we used to use it as a toy, with the top of a shoebox and a magnet or two.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote