A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jun 10 2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (20) - Firebrands by Ron Miller and Pamela Sargent

Huh? What? I hear you say But yes, not an Anne McCaffrey book for this Collecting Highlight. But of course this book has something AMC related or it wouldn't be a Collecting Highlight. It's always debatable anyway if something is a Collecting Highlight, but if I think it is for me you'll have to suffer what I read about it

So, Firebrands, subtitled The Heroines of Science Fiction & Fantasy with lots and lost of art by Ron Miller and text by Pamela Sargent (a well known SF author and editor of many an SF anthology) holds one of the not so well known pictures of Lessa and Ramoth and that is why the book deserved its place. So without further ado the pictures first. I am not judging quality or Perneseness, just picked up on this because it is virtually never mentioned

This is the book, published by Thunder's Mouth Press, New York, 1998 and by Paper Tiger in the UK in the same year. ISBN for the US edition is: 1-56025-164-6. It is dedicated to "Polly Freas, science fiction heroine".

It is an A4 size, large paperback (slightly larger than letter size).

Here's the title page with one of the many scantily clad heroines (why are they always nearly naked; not that I object but it seems such nonsense ) but with a very nice steel clad Princess Bronwyn.

And here are Lessa and Ramoth, appearing on page 88, in the chapter "The 1960's to 1970's". (This one is a scan, not a photograph)

Lessa appears in chapter 3. Chapter 1 is about the beginnings to the 1930's, chapter two about books published in the 1940's - 1950's and chapter 4 for books from the 1980's - 1990's. A very nice book to read if you are interested in the combination of art and SF history!

The book, which is also available as a hardcover, isn't especially rare but the market is also not overflowing with copies. I found three on eBay. One of which is signed by both authors and priced at $ 36.50. Regular copies sell for anything between $ 1 to $ 20, depending on the usual factors.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (20) - Firebrands by Ron Miller and Pamela Sargent

I've seen the print before, and wondered what it was for/from. Now I know, marvelous Hans!

Was the print created specifically for this book, or for some other purpose originally and just reprinted here?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (20) - Firebrands by Ron Miller and Pamela Sargent

I love the picture of the dragons in different flight poses. But it looks like Ramoth is about to bite Lessa's head off. I'll be adding this to my list of things to buy. I love these little bits in books.
Old Jun 10 2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Oh *snort*

Just checked out the book on amazon.com, and for the "Statistically Improbable Phrases" in this book it lists only "strong female characters"

Surely the notion of a strong female character is not so rare as to be a statistically improbably phrase!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11 2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, Thank you for putting this up, I will probabley go and get one for myself, seeing as it is an art book. Not to mention that it has a painting of a Pern character in it. WOW!!! Ramoth has got one of her bad attitude days showing.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2006, 02:46 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Cheryl, as far as I know all art was created especially for this book and thus original to this title. Ron Miller may have sold the originals, I don't know but it bears investigating

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2006, 04:28 AM   #7
Mary

I like the way Lessa is well dressed for the cold. And you can see the straps on the dragon. Not too sure about the teeth or the eye.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2006, 05:01 AM   #8
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

*nearly gags when I see Ramoth's head* Hehe! She almost looks like a little hatchling bird This would be an absolutely lovely picture if the head was changed, and maybe the webbed legs... but I really love everything else about it, and that fur looks marvellous
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Spiff, The outfit is lovely, and the fur has been done very well indeed.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8 2008, 11:10 PM   #10
shanmyster
Inactive

Fan of: DRAGON RIDERS OF PERN!!!

well... I gotta say I pictured Lessa to be a bit..... younger... her weyrhide (I guess) is pretty neat.

but I am VERY VERY disappointed with the dragons.. they look more like Pterodactyls. Although the green looks very pretty. Ramnoth.. *sigh* And the eyes are not what I would have expected..

Sorry.. just my opinion.
shanmyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2010, 11:52 PM   #11
kay norton
Muskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmyster View Post
well... I gotta say I pictured Lessa to be a bit..... younger... her weyrhide (I guess) is pretty neat.

but I am VERY VERY disappointed with the dragons.. they look more like Pterodactyls. Although the green looks very pretty. Ramnoth.. *sigh* And the eyes are not what I would have expected..

Sorry.. just my opinion.
Ugh, you're not the only one disappointed.. I was expecting, well - something better at least.. Now, all I can see is that the images look like a fake fairy tale book.. it's frustrating..

Last edited by Hans; Jun 19 2010 at 03:05 AM.
kay norton is offline   Reply With Quote