A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old May 6 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Post Collecting Highlight (16) - Dragonsong, the play or How To Make Your Own Firelizard!

In the very back of the "Hargreaves" (the best Anne McCaffrey bibliograohy in existence) there is a small section (section eight), titled: "Plays based on the author's writings". And the short introduction is worth reading

Over time, many of Anne's novels and some of the short stories have been optioned for film or play development. Several fan-orientated productions have occurred but were usually related to science fiction conventions. Anne mentioned one production of "The Smallest Dragonboy" staged at Milwaukee SF convention when she was Guest of Honor. Mention was also made of an Australian trio's production of "The Smallest Dragonboy". Apparently they took liberties with the story, Anne objected to this, and she never heard from them again. Two productions have been mounted that reaches the public at large.

The section only holds three "titles": Dragonflight, Dragonsinger and Dragonsong. The first is a professional radio play, produced by the BBC in 1980. If anybody recorded this, I'd be VERY interested The BBC says Dragonflight was not retained in their records and therefore it no longer exists... The next one is Dragonsinger, of which Michael Hargreaves had no details available when his bibliography of Anne was published, so that leaves us:

Dragonsong, the play.

In 1980, the Adventure Theatre in Glen Echo, Maryland (paying attention, Maryland based Master Archivist? ) produced a childrens'musical play based on the book Dragonsong. The production was headed by Irene Elliot who also did the adaptation of the book. Final draft approval was made by Anne with only minor changes. Anne did make one major scene change for visual effect. In the original story of Dragonsong, Menolly injured her hand by cutting it severely while gutting fish. To give this important scene a visual impact, Anne changed the scene so Menolly’s father (Yanus) does the damage by breaking her hand. Overall, though, the story line follows the book.
The songs that are in the play are: Sea Song, Children’s Game, Menolly’s Song, Teaching Song, Fire Lizard Song and White Winged Craft.

This entry (that further lists the four venues the play was performed at in 1980, 1986 and 1987 (twice) but I know from the internet it was performed many times, as High School plays, in several school including even one on Hawaii) is made extra special by a set of pictures (by E. Pen Stevens), provided especially for Hargreaves’ book by Irene Elliot. Since these pictures are now already over 25 years old I am taking the liberty of reproducing them here without the intention of violating anyone’s copyright etc. etc.

Later the adaptation was printed in a booklet: the official adaptation to stage of Dragonsong by the earlier mentioned Irene Elliot, who also composed the music and the lyrics for the songs mentioned earlier, except the Sea Song, the Teaching Song and White Winged Craft, for which Anne McCaffrey herself wrote the lyrics.
The booklet was (is) published by Anchorage Press, New Orleans. First edition took place August 1989. it is published in photo reproduction form (so essentially I guess the first edition was that of 1980). Hargreaves says that “bound book versions” won’t be available until 1990 but as far as I know all editions are stapled and bound versions do not exist. If anybody knows of one, please contact your local Master Archivist.

There was a time that these booklets could simply be ordered on Amazon (shipped within about a week for I think it 6 pounds. Anneli can correct me if I’m wrong, she ordered and one and, more amazing, got it! Actually, when I just checked it was still “available” http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...443864-9611939
If that is true I don’t have to discuss collector’s value or price but… (isn’t there always) there is currently only one (yes, 1) copy to be found through www.bookfinder.com and that particular one is listed at $ 59.11 (listed as Softcover, ISBN: 0876022948).

Whether it is worth money or not I do think this is a great collectible as it is rather special and even though quite a few could be around, a lot of them will have perished. They certainly don’t show up on eBay and such sites.

The pictures (remember these are over 25 years old! for others they'll might trigger the nostalgia button )

Menolly and the Seahold children

Menolly and Masterharper Robinton

T'rolt (huh? yes!) and Geleth during Impression

T'gellan and Monarth with the Seahold children

DON'T LAUGH YOU!

And here's what you all been waiting for

BUILD YOUR OWN FIRE LIZARD FOR THE PLAY!
1. Head and body are styrofoam ball and egg with layer of paper mache
2. Top of head and wings are cut from celastic ans shaped
3. Neck is foam rubber rings rubber cemented and pinched around the edges
4. Attachments to body with hot glue
5. Legs and tail cut from foam rubber, and rubber cemented and pinched around the edges, except for toes
6. Body, neck and head strung together on a string, knotted at both ends
7. Wing hinges made of cloth and hot glue
8. Eeye cut from reflector material
9. Cut cloth glued to neck and tail. Whole puppet spray painted two colors, undercoat and overcoat.
10. Head strings attached to wings of controller
11. Shoulder strings are continuous, through eye in controller
12. Wing strings also on continuous string, through eye in controller
13. Tail string attached to back end of controller

Irene sure was thorough and detailed!

Note: due to circumstances I am two weeks late with my Collecting Highlight, so this one (that should have been posted two weeks ago) will be here alongside Cheryl's one for the coming two weeks. Hans.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (16) - Dragonsong, the play or How To Make Your Own Firelizard!

Great info, Hans!!! I searched long and hard for my copy. When I tried to order it online I didn't get a copy either. But finally found a copy. Do you happen to know if the songs on the cassette tape, Dragonsongs, are the same ones used in the play? The tape was done in 1984, 5 years before the play, but Anne wrote some of the songs on the tape too. So I was wondering if she used them for the play as well. I don't have a cassette player to listen to the tape and there is no listing of the songs on the cover.
I didn't know that Anne rewrote the bit on how Menolly hurt her hand. Rather brutal that, with her dad breaking it. Tho I really wouldn't put it past ol' Yanis. (and if you say it's in the play then I can only say that I probably read that when I got my copy and forgot it, tho that's hard to forget.)
Old May 7 2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (16) - Dragonsong, the play or How To Make Your Own Firelizard!

Addendum

It seems the play can still be ordered from Anchorage Press directly.

http://www.applays.com/

go to the bottom of this page: http://www.applays.com/plays/descrip...ription_D.html

Seems you can buy the text book and the piano/vocal score seperately (7 and 40 dollar respectively) and have to pay 50 dollars royalty when performed (one performance or a one time contribution?)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 7 2006, 01:45 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, thank you so very much for putting this up, I thought that all the photo's of the play, and the making of the Dragon, fantastic to see, not funny. I don't think that I will buy one, for my collection but it was lovely to see it all.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I think with things like school plays, if I'm remembering my high-school theater days correctly, that $50 would cover one short "run" of the play. Most schools and community theaters do at most one or two weekends of a show and the royalty payment is usually done when you order the scripts and (if it's a musical) the scores. $50 is fairly cheap, and would probably be a good deal, depending on how much you wanted to spend building the sets and props. I'm not sure what our tech crew would have said about a dragon!
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2006, 03:52 AM   #6
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

Very cute
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2006, 08:11 PM   #7
SuzyQ
Ssli

Fan of: Talents
Now Reading: Need more time!

That is really neat! The things everyone finds are amazing! Just when I begin to think my collection might someday be complete someone posts about something else I don't have in my collection. More happy hunting!

Suzanne
SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2006, 02:45 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

An Anne McCaffrey Collection, complete??

Take a second mortgage on the house, sell your husband into slavery....

Old May 10 2006, 04:41 AM   #9
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

lol!
how come that bit about the BBC no longer having it in their records doesn't surprise me?
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2006, 10:12 AM   #10
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans

No truer words were EVER spoken! There are quite a few books and other items I'd love to afford to put into my collection. They are on my dream list of collectibles.
Old May 11 2006, 02:53 AM   #11
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

I'm making my own style of firelizard. Myt-style dragons! He's black and white and if I ever get a pic of him on the net, you can see him
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2006, 02:39 AM   #12
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I have a firelizard in the works (planning stages) as well, but since I'm a perfectionist, it's much more complicated than foam rubber strung together... Though it's still great to see those pics!
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I have seen the armature for your dragon Spiff, and it looks like your dragon has a very good start. Let me see it when you are all finished with it PLEASE.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 14 2006, 01:54 AM   #14
Spaceman Spiff

Ah, that was for my sculpture of the AtWoP cover. Unfortunately I made it too small and was unable to complete it, because my tools aren't refined enough to do the proper detailing

My firelizard plan on the other hand, is a much larger project. I plan to make a sculpture of each color at life size, ranging from 20-40 inches, and then I want to make a mold, put an armature inside, and fill it with silicone. So the finished product will have a soft skin and be fully poseable.
Old May 14 2006, 02:22 AM   #15
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

Sounds delightful, mate! Your very own fire lizards to play with would be great fun. I hope that you'll post pictures of the final goods, at the very least, so that we may all 'ooh' and 'ah' at your handiwork.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2006, 02:51 AM   #16
Spaceman Spiff

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (16) - Dragonsong, the play or How To Make Your Own Fireliza

Here's a "doodle" piece of claywork, no detailing started, a ticklish firelizard http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...culpeyflit.jpg

Please ignore the wing-arm, I know it sucks
Old May 15 2006, 04:58 PM   #17
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (16) - Dragonsong, the play or How To Make Your Own Fireliza

Close, Hans, very close I just checked and when I bought my copy through Amazon in September 1999 I paid £4.50 plus £0.50 delivery charge. I just wish I'd had the gumption to order half a dozen copies at the time *imagines what they might have been worth on e-bay nowadays*

Quote:
There was a time that these booklets could simply be ordered on Amazon (shipped within about a week for I think it 6 pounds. Anneli can correct me if I’m wrong, she ordered and one and, more amazing, got it!
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2006, 02:47 AM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Anneli, Anchorage Press themselves seem to still sell it online for 7 dollars.

Old May 19 2006, 11:23 AM   #19
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

Quote:

Have done, on both counts!

Fantastic to see all this. I have no worries about having a complete collection, I know I never will, but it always nice to see what else has been done, and created for Pern.
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2006, 06:54 AM   #20
Flinx
Linyaari

I have a couple of copies (green cover, copyright 1991).
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2006, 11:03 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Doubles, Flinx? What are you waiting for then, make them available to people here. For an interesting price of course, you know what they cost new now

Old May 21 2006, 05:46 AM   #22
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
<big snip>
There was a time that these booklets could simply be ordered on Amazon (shipped within about a week for I think it 6 pounds. Anneli can correct me if I’m wrong, she ordered and one and, more amazing, got it!
<another big snip>
Mine were a little higher in price. So when I sell I would like to at least break even.
Quote:
Doubles, Flinx? What are you waiting for then, make them available to people here. For an interesting price of course, you know what they cost new now
Waiting for the same thing that is holding me up from selling the signed books, to get myself organised.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2006, 06:44 PM   #23
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli
Close, Hans, very close I just checked and when I bought my copy through Amazon in September 1999 I paid £4.50 plus £0.50 delivery charge. I just wish I'd had the gumption to order half a dozen copies at the time *imagines what they might have been worth on e-bay nowadays*
Anneli, Your collection of Anne's, treasures must boggle the eye and the mind. I could never even hope to find, much less buy, all of what you already have in you fantastic collection. .................

Old Sep 6 2006, 05:50 AM   #24
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

Picked mine up (on Ebay) last week for £6.50.
Not pristine, but a nice addition.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2006, 09:17 AM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

Looks like a good price, Tony.

Old Sep 6 2006, 12:04 PM   #26
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Picked mine up (on Ebay) last week for £6.50.
Not pristine, but a nice addition.
I saw that, but just can't afford to buy things! (stoopid uni wanting £3168)

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2006, 12:17 PM   #27
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris View Post
stoopid uni wanting £3168
Ouch!
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2006, 03:53 PM   #28
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

And that's just for ONE year!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2011, 01:43 AM   #29
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Great info, Hans!!! I searched long and hard for my copy. When I tried to order it online I didn't get a copy either. But finally found a copy. Do you happen to know if the songs on the cassette tape, Dragonsongs, are the same ones used in the play? The tape was done in 1984, 5 years before the play, but Anne wrote some of the songs on the tape too. So I was wondering if she used them for the play as well. I don't have a cassette player to listen to the tape and there is no listing of the songs on the cover.
I didn't know that Anne rewrote the bit on how Menolly hurt her hand. Rather brutal that, with her dad breaking it. Tho I really wouldn't put it past ol' Yanis. (and if you say it's in the play then I can only say that I probably read that when I got my copy and forgot it, tho that's hard to forget.)
I have a copy of it but I don't know if that can be shared or not
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3 2011, 06:16 AM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

It can not be shared (online) as it is copyrighted and it can still be bought.

Old Jun 4 2011, 05:57 AM   #31
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
It can not be shared (online) as it is copyrighted and it can still be bought.
Thanks for the info. That is what I thought. My mind goes between on me at times. But then, I do have a harder time translating something into words, commuicate wise under stress.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote