A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 4 2006, 12:51 AM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default A Collector's Guide to the Works of Anne McCaffrey

I have co-written A Collector's Guide to the Works of Anne McCaffrey and, with Cheryl's permission, am offering copies for sale here at MoM.

The Guide was written back in 1999 and is up-to-date through that year.

The Guide was created because we were collecting so many items with no organized way of recording what we had in our possession. We found the Hargreaves book, but didn't want to mark in it, of course, so we started talking about what sort of book would have been helpful in our search.

We wanted it to be flexible for ease in carrying and using in the sometimes cramped book stores we frequented. We decided the size should be 8½ X 11 with a clear plastic cover and a heavy cardstock backing. All is bound together with a comb-binding system. We wanted to be able to list the price we paid for the books, so we could see the value increase, or decrease, and also prove what we paid for the book.

We also wanted some information that would help us understand what all the numbers meant on the copyright page. How to take care of our books once we got them home. And clarification of terminology like - Autographed vs Inscribed and we include a Glossary.

I've sold several copies of The Guide on eBay over the past few years at around $15.00 each, but for fellow MoM members I am discounting it to $10.00 US, plus postage. Postage in the US could vary, but I'm seeing Priority Mail at $4.05 on the postage calculator. I will ship Internationally! The postage calculator shows $9.50 as being the cost for the UK and Australia, so probably the same for all countries. I will check the rate though before sending a total.
*********Please see the postage and Guide price updates at the bottom of this post for the most current prices.*********

All payments will need to be in US dollars, sorry I don't have a foreign dollar account.

If you are interested in ordering a copy of The Guide, please PM me.

June - 2007
Our postage costs just recently went up - Priority Mail in the US is now $4.60 and Global Priority is $12.00. So please be sure to factor that in when you're considering purchasing a Guide. Thanks!
Aug - 2007
Costs for the components to make the guides have gone up over the years and I've not raised the price of the Guide, until now. So they'll be $17.05 and a $5.00 discount for MoMers.....so your price is $12.05.
Sorry to have to do this.

Nov - 2008
US Priority Mail is now $4.80
First Class Mail International Package is $10.30 US. I can't find the Global Priority at the moment, I'll check with an actual post office to see if it's still available or not.
Feb 2009
Global Priority is now $12.95, so not that much more to get it across the waters a bit quicker.

July 2009
US Priority Mail is now $4.95
Global Priority is still $12.95

Last edited by Becky; Jul 24 2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Update Pricing
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: A Collector's Guide to the Works of Anne McCaffrey

This is wonderfull Becky, I was hoping that you would do something like this.

My copy is fantastic to have and use, I keep it next to my computer always() for a fast check on a book that I have found, then I will look it up in my Hargreaves for an indepth study on whatever copy of a book I am wanting to buy.

YOUR Guide!!! is so handy to have and use, I wouldn't want to be with out one, and as I have said before to you, I want to add one into my collection to keep unwritten in , as my first copy is a complete mess with all the scribles in it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Dear Becky, since you forgot to sign my copy....

can you send me a signed bookplate, please?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2006, 03:32 PM   #4
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass

yes yes yes Sign my copy too!
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Oh, goodness! I'll have to sign them all I guess.....And Hans, I told you I was sorry!!!! I've got a White Dragon cover bookplate (Whelan art) that I can sign and will be happy to mail to you. Is that ok??
Old May 4 2006, 10:54 PM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Maelin, thanks for your kind words, Hans and Matt too!!! You've done EXACTLY what you're supposed to do with the Guide......mark it all up!!!! USE it don't just look at it.
Old May 5 2006, 02:38 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Becky... I totally forgot that I had remarked on that before and was actually only half serious...

but now you offered it seems a marvelous thing to do, so if you don't mind? I'll gladly reimburse you for the cost (maybe I can at least pay the postage through paypal?).

something else: in another thread you wrote about the bookhunting with your collector friends. Well, I was browsing eBay the other day and saw you name as bidder on an item I looked up and though: "no, can't, she got her hands on it first" simultaneously remembering what you wrote in the mail

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 5 2006, 03:27 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

LOL!
I'm beginning to think about getting a copy. Overall its only about £10 here so it's tempting. I was bored (we were all waiting for 1 of my friends to finish his report) so I browsed ABE books, even with the stuff I've picked up here it's complicated! Especially what consituates a 1st Ed hardback (alot of paperbacks apparently)
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2006, 09:45 AM   #9
Becky
Coelura

Edith, I do list US and UK editions in the Guide. So it will work for you as well. Both paperback and hardcover books can have a couple of different '1st' editions. If a new publisher gets the book they'll put out their own 1st edition. The Coelura was first done by Underwood-Miller and then done by TOR, so there are two different hardcover 1st editions. Tho Underwood-Miller is the true 1st, but I've got both since they're out there to buy.

Hans, I'll gladly drop it in the mail for you! No worries on the postage! (I'll atone for not signing it that way.) Hey, no worries on eBay bidding. It's all fair as far as I'm concerned. I put in my max bid and if someone goes higher then they are welcome to the item. I always put in the highest amount I'm willing to spend and if someone is willing to give more then it's theirs. If I wasn't willing to spend what I bid then I shouldn't be bidding. So you go ahead and don't let me stop your bidding, Hans!
Old May 5 2006, 10:10 AM   #10
mattv2099
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelura1
Hans, I'll gladly drop it in the mail for you! No worries on the postage! (I'll atone for not signing it that way.) Hey, no worries on eBay bidding. It's all fair as far as I'm concerned. I put in my max bid and if someone goes higher then they are welcome to the item. I always put in the highest amount I'm willing to spend and if someone is willing to give more then it's theirs. If I wasn't willing to spend what I bid then I shouldn't be bidding. So you go ahead and don't let me stop your bidding, Hans!
You mean you never wait until the last second to throw down a bid
Old May 5 2006, 11:05 AM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky, I was carefull the other day when I saw that you had a bid on one of the items that I was looking to buy. I waited to see if you got it and when I saw that you were out bid, and didn't bid back over the new bidder, I jumped in and got it. That was "The Ship Who Sang" magazine that I won on ebay the other day.........YEAH !!!

I also wouldn't bid against you or any one that I was friends with. I would wait like I did, to see how serious my friend was at bidding for the item.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 5 2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Edi, I most heartily recomend "A Collector's Guide to the Works of Anne Mcaffrey", Becky and her friend did a fantastic job with it. I have it next to my computer always, and use it for the quick scan, and tracking of my books. My husband is using it now when ever he goes looking for a book for me.

Hans, LA LA LA LA LA, I already have mine signed( dancing around the room in glee).

Old May 5 2006, 02:34 PM   #13
Dyna
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonrider sagas
Now Reading: in between books

Oh My

I want one.... *begs*

Dyna
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2006, 09:46 AM   #14
Becky
Coelura

Matt, I am not on the computer all the time to really watch bids that I make. So I just place my bid at the max I'm willing to pay for an item and hope for the best. If I'm outbid then I'm outbid and congratulate anyone who does get the item. Especially like Maelin did. Good job Maelin, by the way! I'm glad you got the mag!!
I've got a pretty good collection so am not in 'need' of any particular item. Now when I was looking for books a few years ago, I'd indeed watch the item til the last minute. So I've done that for sure, Matt!
There are a few items I'm looking for now, since I went thru my collection last weekend. I want to update to better quality copies of a few magazines. But I'll just take my time and 'hunt'. That's the fun part, the hunt!!
Dyna, I've put you on the list for a Guide. I'll get your mailing information as soon as I put together some copies of the Guide. I self publish so it does take a bit of time for me to get them all done.
Old May 6 2006, 09:48 AM   #15
Becky
Coelura

Since I've gotten several orders for the Guide I'm going to get the copies made today. I'll then get to binding them either Sunday or later in the week.

I'll be PMing those who've ordered to get your mailing addresses once I've got them all done. Payment arrangements can be made and the Guide will soon be on it's way!

Note to self - Remember to sign them!!!

Last edited by Becky; May 6 2006 at 10:47 AM.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2006, 11:23 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Note to self - Remember to sign them!!!
That's what you get when you've become an author

Old May 6 2006, 11:20 PM   #17
Becky
Coelura

Hans!!! I have to remember to do your book plate too!
Old May 7 2006, 12:59 AM   #18
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
Edi, I most heartily recomend "A Collector's Guide to the Works of Anne Mcaffrey", Becky and her friend did a fantastic job with it. I have it next to my computer always, and use it for the quick scan, and tracking of my books. My husband is using it now when ever he goes looking for a book for me.

Hans, LA LA LA LA LA, I already have mine signed( dancing around the room in glee).

I'm so glad that you are enjoying the Guide, Maelin! And that you're finding it so easy to use.
Now you really shouldn't tease Hans, it's not his fault that I didn't think about signing his copy! (I have the bookplate in hand and it's already signed for Hans!!)
Old May 7 2006, 03:16 PM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Any Chance that I can give him a "LA LA LA LA LA" , over the one thing that I have mangaed to get that he doesn't have yet, is fair. And very fleetingly fun for me.... ....It will only last as long as it takes for him to get your signed book plate.... .....Then I will be left with a "I had mine first" puff of hot air.

Old May 8 2006, 12:41 AM   #20
Becky
Coelura

Too funny!!! Ok, enjoy your moment Maelin!
Old May 8 2006, 11:48 AM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

You betcha, I haven't had one before, not with his collection.... ....and never again if I know him. So I will dance while I may....... ..........

Old May 8 2006, 11:19 PM   #22
Becky
Coelura

Enjoy your dancing then! Live it up!
Old May 9 2006, 02:58 PM   #23
mattv2099
Inactive

I got my copy. Thank you, it's very nice
Old May 9 2006, 11:30 PM   #24
Becky
Coelura

Glad you got it Matt! I do hope it helps your collecting and tracking of the collection.
Old May 10 2006, 02:23 AM   #25
mattv2099
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelura1
Glad you got it Matt! I do hope it helps your collecting and tracking of the collection.
There are a few anthologies I really want now that I know they exist! I'm very amazed at the extent of stuff in there. So many books. Do you have all of it???
Old May 10 2006, 10:29 AM   #26
Becky
Coelura

When I started the Guide it consisted only of items I owned or knew for sure existed (which would be the 1st edition novels) or if one of my two other collector friends owned. We kept finding reprints of some stories, like Smallest Dragonboy, and decided to stop adding each reprint and go with some special printings and the original appearance of the story.
I own a lot of what's in the Guide, but not all of it. (I don't own the cassette tapes of the books, tried collecting them but it just wasn't me. So do have a couple of them due to that. Oh, do have the ones Anne herself read, had to have those!)
One of my dream items.....hmmm, that sounds like another thread to start. So you'll have to go read that one to find out more.

But, yes, I do have a lot of what's in the Guide. That's why I helped put it together. Had to track what I had!
Old May 17 2006, 01:14 AM   #27
Becky
Coelura

Just bumping this up to the top so it doesn't get lost.
Old May 18 2006, 06:30 AM   #28
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Got it! Thanks Becky!

(I'm surprised how may 1st PBs I have!)

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2006, 10:04 AM   #29
Becky
Coelura

C_ris, glad you got the Guide and that it helped you with your books! (love the Ava too, Maelin's so good!)
Old May 18 2006, 09:04 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

C_ris, I sure hope that you like Beckys guide as much as I do, it is so handy to glance at when you have a book in your sights to buy.

Old May 19 2006, 01:47 AM   #31
mattv2099
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
C_ris, I sure hope that you like Beckys guide as much as I do, it is so handy to glance at when you have a book in your sights to buy.
Yep, it's a useful guide. There are numerous items that I'm on the look out for now!
Old May 19 2006, 10:13 AM   #32
Becky
Coelura

Little did you know, Matt, that when you dropped in on Mom that you'd run into this sort of insanity! Glad I could help you with it!
Old May 19 2006, 10:52 AM   #33
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Once my exams are over, I'm gonna take it and go hunting! (Just gotta find the second-hand bookshops in Colchester now...)

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2006, 11:35 AM   #34
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I know where the shops are in Aber! 2 private 2nd hand shops and an oxfam bookshop!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2006, 10:17 PM   #35
Becky
Coelura

C_ris, that's exactly what it was made for, ease in hunting in those book stores. Enjoy!
Old May 20 2006, 07:27 PM   #36
~(_'>

I love the book. It seems to be pretty complete too.

Easier to use than the Hargrave one, when you just want to browse book stores.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2006, 07:52 PM   #37
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~(_'>
I love the book. It seems to be pretty complete too.

Easier to use than the Hargrave one, when you just want to browse book stores.

Thanks, JJ, I love Hargreaves but it isn't very condusive to book store browsing. Hence, the Guide! I needed something portable and easy to use. We made the back cover of fairly stiff stock to help give some suport, but not too much to make it cumbersome. I hope you have loads of fun hunting the stores!
Old May 24 2006, 11:47 PM   #38
Becky
Coelura

Just a 'bump'.
Old May 31 2006, 01:40 AM   #39
Becky
Coelura

Another bump.
Old May 31 2006, 10:42 AM   #40
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

My guide looks like my pencil exploded in it now, I have made so many notes all over it now . I keep it next to the computer so that I can grab it quickly, but I forgot to take it with us on our big book store hunt. Drat, I really could have used it there too