A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Mar 8 2006, 10:53 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Post Collecting Highlight (13) - Alien Landscapes

The book Alien Landscapes seeks to bring to life 10 alien worlds from popular science fiction series: Rama (Arthur C Clarke, Okie Cities (James Blish), Mesklin (Hal Clement), Eros (Harry Harrison), Arrakis (Frank Herbert), Ringworld (Larry Niven), Trantor (Isaac Asimov), Hothouse (Brian Aldiss), End of the World (H.G. Wells), and of course Pern (Anne McCaffrey!) There are three illustrations per world, done by noted sff illustrators of the day. The accompanying text for each world explains its history & politics, climate, geography, flora & fauna, and location in the galaxy.

Alien Landscapes by Robert Holdstock and Malcolm Edwards (text authors, not illustrators) was published as a hardcover in 1979 by Mayflower Books of New York -- though the book says it was printed in Italy. ISBN 0-8317-0258-0 The Pern illustrations were done by Roger & Linda Garland. There seems to be a later paperback version that was published by Mayflower as well. Both editions are oversized books

The three Pern images open with a view of Benden Weyr during Ramoth and Mnementh's first mating flight. The caption for the image discusses Lessa empathetically sharing her queen's ecstasy, and the "fury of the contest still show[ing] in the new Weyr-leader's face as he waits to possess the Weyr-woman in the human way."

As depicted, I don't think that Weyr is structurally sound enough to live in.

The second image illustrates a Threadfall battle.

Personally I find this to be one of the ugliest Pern illustrations I've ever seen, both for the scaly dragons with weirdly webbed wings (sorry, not visible on the small version, email me for a larger one) and humanoid eyes, and for the freaky depiction of Thread which appears rather like a brain and spinal cord. I'm also not impressed with the lack of formation of the wing of dragons in the foreground, which is a recipe for burns and collisions (though two properly organized wings occur in the background).

The third image shows Ramoth and Lessa in the skies overlooking Ruatha, with the Red Star overhead.

While I don't care for the depiction of Ruatha as a castle built up from the mountain rather than more being built within it -- or the haphazardness of the cotholds (again, too small to see here, email me), I do love the colors in this image, especially of the mountain of the lefthand side which seem opalescent.

Numerous copies are currently available from online booksellers, for prices ranging from $4-30 (US)
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2006, 12:20 AM   #2
~(_'>

Default Re: Collecting Highligh (13) - Alien Landscapes

Not really my vision of Pern. But, it must be included in a Pern Collection.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Relatively nice artwork but not appealing to my (or obviously others') idea of Pern. Nice though that, despite the actual depcition, the artist obviously took the effort of reading/interpreting the story.

All in all, I don't own this book, this is very nice to see (and judge)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2006, 06:19 AM   #4
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

Ok, just for you die-hard informationists out there......

My copy is the soft back version....still over-sized *(28cm x 28cm)*

First published in Great Britain in 1979.
Pierrot Publishing Limited.
17 Oakley Road, London N1 3LL.
Text; Malcolm Edwards & Robert Holdstock 1979.
Illustrations; Young artists 1979.

ISBN; 0 905310 33 0

Designed by Peter Gladwin.
Production by Book Production Consultants, Cambridge.
Photosetting by Apex Computersetting, London.
Colour separation by Adroit Photo Litho Ltd, Birmingham & IBA Graphics, London.
Printed and bound by Mondadori, Italy.

Last edited by Bagpuss; Mar 9 2006 at 09:47 AM.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Thanks for that Baggy! My info was limited as this book isn't covered in the more common McCaffrey bibliographic sources.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cheryl, Thank you for putting this up for me, I find it very interesting. I love seeing other peoples interpretations of the worlds they have read about.

I find that I have been developing and intrest in the different "Pern" art that has been created, and that is out there. The collection bug seems to be biting me again.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Thanks from this diehard, too, Tony

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 9 2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Ugh, yeah, that depcition of thread is ugly. Are those threads or giant gray dandelions? Or brain and spinal cord, like you said, Cheryl. And the weyr looks like it'd crumble if anyone tried to touch it.

Thanks for posting the pics, though!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

It seems to have an Eastern,feel to it. Much like the painting of old India, depicting some of their old mythological stories. I think I like it, not for Pern, but for a piece of interesting art work.

P.S. Thank you Cheryl, (Mrs. Hard Head) !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 19 2006, 08:22 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I finally have it, and I love it. The book is just full of great alien landscapes from so many of the books that I have read. I don't think that too many of them are very accurate to what the books say they are, but the paintings are very beautiful. It is great to look thru, and enjoy.

Thanks to the friend that sent it to me. It is just perfect, I love it.

Old Jun 13 2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (13) - Alien Landscapes

Like Maelin I bought a hardcover first not long after Cheryl did this highlight.

I recently acquired a German language softcover, too: "Unter fremden Sonnen" (under alien suns).

data on this edition:
Published by Moewig Verlag KG, Rastatt
Translated by Klaus Mann
Copyright 1980 by Moewig Verlag KG
Redaktion: G.M.Schelwokat
Printed in Italy (Milan)
ISBN 3-8118-2005-2

I also found out, by finally finding an affordable copy of Les Edwards' only (hardcover) book Blood & Iron that he did the artwork for the cover! A smaller total view of the cover appears on page 79:

And this is the cover of that book:

The original artwork shows more and is wider than the bookcover.

Old Jun 21 2008, 02:13 AM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...Nice additions with these new art books to add to your collection. Was the German edition printed out the same...or with a few of their own differences?

If your not carefull your going to end up like me, with an art book collection as well as your Anne collection !!!

Old Jun 22 2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin, the German edition was exactly the same as the Englisch except for the fact that it was in German (of course) and that the German copy is a paperback, not a hardcover with dustjacket.