A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The International Wing > Nederlands – Dutch

Nederlands – Dutch Een forum voor Anne McCaffrey fans uit Nederland, België en Suid-Afrika

Old Mar 3 2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...
Question This has nothing to do with anything but...

I was reading a book earlier this month, and it had a name that I couldn't understand. It was Geertrui. It said it was a Dutch name. Could anyone give me ideas of how to pronounce it?
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2006, 04:40 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: This has nothing to do with anything but...

Geertrui is actualy a shortened version of Geertruida and Geertruida is the Dutch version of Gertrude.

You pronounce it like this:
- gere: as Richard's family name but pronounced throathy/hard G)
- trui: regular "tr" but the Dutch "ui" sound...

This syllable has absolutely no counterpart in English.

One book says it's a "reduced schwa." That helps a lot, doesn't it?! They say to pronounce it like "uh-ee" said together quickly.

One web reference had the following formula, which I really like:
Put your lips in position to say "ee". Your lips will be stretched horizontally and you'll be smiling (that's why photographers tell you to say "cheese").
Keep your lips in the "ee" position.
With the rest of your mouth, say "oo".
Out comes this weird sound, but it's the one you want.

Step three is the hardest part. When you say "oo" your lips just want to spring back to a round O shape out of habit. You may actually have to hold your lips in place with your thumb and index finger the first few times you try this

best thing is to search for someone speaking Dutch and have them pronouce UI for you, so you'll know what it sounds like. Easy if you live in parts of the US where many Dutch immigrants moved to, nit so easy elsewhere

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader

LOL

I've been discussing how to pronounce the dutch ui-sound with my husband. We've asked a couple of dutch speaking people but I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to wait untill I've been living in the Netherlands for a while before I'll be able to come anywhere near pronouncing it correctly.

Though, I'll definitely show the web reference on how to pronounce ui to my husband.
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4 2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

when I was attempting to learn Dutch, the ui sound was one of my worst downfalls (there were lots...). However, I soldiered on for a while, and the only comment I ever got from my teacher was that I sounded like a Belgian! Which for me was quite a compliment...
Old Nov 4 2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

You attempted to learn Dutch? You never told me!
NOW you post that, while I could have made... eh... have all sorts of fun with that in Copenhagen...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 4 2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

And you wonder why she didn't tell you?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7 2007, 12:44 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

The nearest I ever got was one Christmas when we did a European '9 lessons & carols' and included a Dutch carol (I can't remember which one).

Luckily we had a Dutch lady in our congrgation who taught it to us phonetically.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

My pals from Dwingeloo once gave me a CD called Kerstliederen, by singer Hermann van Veen, and I absolutely adore it! I play it often during the dark days of winter, and sing along with that gorgeous voice when I can, even when I have no idea what the words mean.

and yes, Hans, I didn't know you nearly as well before Eurocon, and was terrified that you might want me to attempt to speak even a few words of Dutch, as my pronunciation is appalling and my vocabulary virtually non-existent. Still - I really like the sound of the language, and every now and then I look over my old notes. It's like - like friendly-sounding German. (And I trained as a philologist a thousand years ago, so yes, I know they come from the same roots )
Old Nov 12 2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Dear Lanen, I am NOT saying this to flatter you but the few words I heard you pronouce over the telephone were pronounced extraordinarily well for an English speaker of US descent Very well indeed. But yes, though I made some fun of it I do understand your hesitation

Herman van Veen! Will you believe he does a lot of cabaret (the Dutch kind, which comes very close to the work of a standup comedian) and he indeed sings very well. He sings like the trained opera singer he isn't I should look if I can find his LP/CD with Leonard Cohen songs which he sings in Dutch... very special; can you imagine him singing Susanne? If you're interested here's a site with both the English and Dutch text: http://www.tenderfeelings.be/blog/mu...04/04/27/p1794

Lanen, you have a very beautiful voice and I count myself lucky that I can now say so because I heard you talk and read from Song in the Silence. Let me assure you that that reading was very, very special. Not only because it was you, a favourite author, reading from your own work but also for the quality of your voice and your orational ability. No making fun here, I'm dead serious. Next time we meet you must also sing!

Friendly sounding German eh?

Old Nov 18 2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hallo Hans, Hoe gaat het..
I went and found Lenard Cohen on *You Tube* and very much enjoyed his song Halleluiah. I do have to admit though that I liked it even better when KD Lang sang it. I do believe the song would be lovely, with almost any decent singer singing it.
It took me a while to find the this thread...as I found myself trying to read all the post in the different languages.
My Dutch is coming along...but very, very slowly...but I do believe I'm finally getting it to sink in.
I very much agree with Lanen's voice...her reading of *Song in the Silence* was breath takingly beautiful...I could have sat there and listened to you read for hours and wished that we could have heard you sing at least once on our visit.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Nov 18 2007 at 01:01 PM.
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Ok, you found Leonard Cohen, now go listen to Herman van Veen, the Dutch singer/artist Lanen mentioned:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=xZZcMyxrwgo

Old Nov 18 2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I love him...he has a fantasitc voice. Sorry I had the wrong guy...woops!!! I will have to go and hear more of Herman...it will be much better when I can understand more of what he's singing...sigh!!!
Dank voor de information Hans.... and for this introduction as well

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote