A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Freedom

Old Aug 15 2005, 03:50 PM   #1
Sandi

Default What About Earth

When last we saw it, Earth was a big mess. The Coords were working out their own little territories and much of humanity was clinging to survival. What sort of things are likely to happen now that the Cattenni have withdrawn? Will there be 100 little nation states where the continental US used to exist? How about the Europeans? Will they band together or pull even further apart? Will the people in Oz & NZ become totally isolated? Will there be riots at the airports with people trying to get to Botany? I've speculated a lot about variations but it'd be interesting to see what the rest of you think.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.

Default Re: What About Earth

well, i think there will be a lot more cooperation between former nations, (there was a part that said something like that....)
but i don't think there'll be a riot to get to botany. i think that the terrans (or the majority of them) will? do? did? feel the same loyalty to earth as the botanists do to botany. alot of them will stay and rebuild thierr home.

otherwise, i'm not really sure what would happen. the possibilities are endless.
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17 2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Bowerbird
Inactive

Fan of: Freedom
Now Reading: Freedom's ransom

In my future scenario there is a resurgence first among what is at present considered the "poorer" nations. Especially India and South East Asia because the population in those areas are so dense that you could not reduce it with 5 plagues of alien invasions and the fact that they are less reliant on technology. Replacing a tractor means you have to have the raw materials, factories, expertise whereas replacing a water buffalo takes just two and a matter of time.

Also although the Earth was hit hard by "The plunder" (I am offering a lollipop for anyone who can come up with a snappier name for the invasion and sacking of Earth) one of the worst impacts was on economic confidence. We have seen it now how one act can shake the economic world and grind things to a halt. I think once there were no more raids it would be only a matter of a couple of years before things started to straighten out.
Bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Brenda

How about "The Invasion"? or "The Attack"? If you prefer yours, I think it would be more correct to call it "The Plundering", but suit yourself.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2007, 05:52 PM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

"The Despoilation"?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

Earth will bounce back. The humans are a differnet thought. Humans are capable of bouncing back. we have in the past the Black Plague. Look at the whole history of People we have done a lot to each other over land, money and women in the past.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2007, 06:25 PM   #7
Bowerbird
Inactive

Fan of: Freedom
Now Reading: Freedom's ransom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz the Golden View Post
Earth will bounce back. The humans are a differnet thought. Humans are capable of bouncing back. we have in the past the Black Plague. Look at the whole history of People we have done a lot to each other over land, money and women in the past.
I was even thinking of the more recent Asian Tsunami that wiped out 250.000 people. That is a quater of a million people gone in few hours but the regions are recovering - I will not say fully recovered, many of the regions had huge problems to overcome but, in the main there has been marvellous recovery.
Bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8 2010, 01:10 AM   #8
elexandru
Muskie

Economical impacts
After the Kobe earthquake, there was a wider negative impact on business confidence in Japan. Similarly after this disaster there will be a wider negative impact, as tourism and consumer and business confidence is impacted by the scale of the disaster. Not only is tourism important, but also for many countries this is the peak tourist season, compounding the impact.
elexandru is offline   Reply With Quote