A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Doona and Dinosaur Planet/Planet Pirates

Old Nov 28 2004, 05:31 AM   #1
Shani

Default Doonan Women

One thing I did find refreshing about Doona is that it seemed to be not only acceptable but common that the women often had 'wife and mother' roles. So many of the women in Anne's books were career oriented and put any children into childcare or simply didn't have them.
I loved seeing Pat Reeve and her friends doing what I do every day and enjoying it with no guilt at all.
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Linmag
Glow

Default Re: Doonan Women

Do you think that could be something to do with the nature of the world they're on? On a low-tech agrarian colony world, 'housekeeping' would be much more of a full-time job than it is for most women in the western world at the moment.

The other side of the coin is also represented, by the Gringg space captain who has given birth to two cubs during the course of her voyage of exploration, and still has at least the younger one with her. This is also accepted without comment as perfectly normal.
Linmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

That is a notable difference between Doona and other series, even Freedom which has a similar new-colony setup, albeit with forced colonists.

I wonder how much it might relate to when the first book was written, as it was one of Anne's first. *goes to look up biography data*

Decision at Doona was Anne's third novel, published a year before her divorce (and probably written 6-12 months prior). It's reasonable that at that time she was much more...in touch with the joys of raising a family as a job in of itself.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 03:52 PM   #4
Shani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmag
Do you think that could be something to do with the nature of the world they're on? On a low-tech agrarian colony world, 'housekeeping' would be much more of a full-time job than it is for most women in the western world at the moment.

The other side of the coin is also represented, by the Gringg space captain who has given birth to two cubs during the course of her voyage of exploration, and still has at least the younger one with her. This is also accepted without comment as perfectly normal.
Lin I was mostly referring to Decision at Doona (current read) but I didn't make that very clear so fair enough
Having said that, generally in Anne's books the women have a 'real' job as well as any housekeeping that may need to be done. The majority of women portrayed in Decision at Doona didn't seem to feel the need to be Vets or go herd cattle etc.
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 04:20 PM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

True enough. But a woman's role in an agrarian environment, especially one with few technical gizmos to help, is a full-time job. They were pulling their weight, doing what they did.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Linmag
Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani
Lin I was mostly referring to Decision at Doona (current read) but I didn't make that very clear so fair enough
Having said that, generally in Anne's books the women have a 'real' job as well as any housekeeping that may need to be done. The majority of women portrayed in Decision at Doona didn't seem to feel the need to be Vets or go herd cattle etc.
Sorry Shani, I had just finished the whole series, so Treaty Planet was uppermost in my mind
Linmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 05:32 PM   #7
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

If I'm not mistaken Pern would have been that way to if it hadn't been for thread. But then there wouldn't have been a Pern would there

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote