A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Mar 16 2017, 03:26 PM   #4041
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts
Default Re: What is happening

Hokey? Are you saying something's hokey about hockey? Not that I particularly like it.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2017, 04:53 PM   #4042
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

No, I call it a Typo

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2017, 06:17 PM   #4043
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Yes I blame a new update to my computer

Helllo folks I didn't mean to drop betwen ir get ost in a jump as a BB ship. My sight has drops faster then before. My blood vessels benind my eyes have thinked too much they are only the size of a pencel lead and there is no way toopen then up, I have been learning how to use a screen reader and other adapted programs. I can't read print for long when I can see it. Waiting on some help with reading stuff, been listen to more audio books

Cross-post to NKT
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2017, 06:28 PM   #4044
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

yet from Young Irelandders at The Grand T header http://www.theyoungirelanders.com//
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2017, 11:23 AM   #4045
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: cursed

O Ginny I am sad to read this. Good luck with the help.

The youngirelanders: Great music!!
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2017, 05:09 PM   #4046
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Agreed mara

I have eyesight issues myself, fortunately not as bad as Ginnys, but I understand how difficult it cam be at tomes. I hope she can stay with us and she gets the help to do so she needs.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Mar 28 2017, 11:43 PM   #4047
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Some weeks are just a PITA

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Mar 30 2017, 05:34 PM   #4048
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Friday at last.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Apr 2 2017, 11:23 AM   #4049
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

What is happening: Well, let's see, so far this year....

Back on a Friday going into what was probably the coldest weekend of February, our furnace blower motor went out. Went the whole weekend on electric space heaters. HELLO, electric bill, not to mention the cost of the motor & labor.

Went to the electric company slightly before that and got set up for their level-pay system, where you pay an average bill instead of high/low/rinse/repeat. Thought that would start with February's bill. It didn't. Started with March's, so I came up short in February, and made arrangements to time pay the balance. Then the level pay bill starts, and promptly screws up the whole bill for 2 months so far. When I get my check the 12th, I'll go in to the office and duke it out with them......

In the midst of all that, we were planning out the purchase & installation of a new storage shed. Well, the "dirt work" for the site ended up costing about $200 more than what we had estimated and budgeted for. But the shed itself went up on time, even with a half-day rain delay. So we now have a 2-story, 16 X 16 X 16 foot shed, or small barn. Got a great deal on it. Now all we have to do is pay it off.

While that was going on, first my cell phone died due to a fried motherboard. Then, just because Murphy and his Law is alive, well, and definitely active, my mother celebrated her 93rd birthday on March 9th by going into the hospital with cellulitis. We ended up with 2 new cell phones for an additional $11/month for 2 years on a new contract (we had been out of contract for about 3 years, anyway) on the same day that mom got out of the hospital. That was the good news. The bad news was that the hospital put an elastic "Ace" bandage on mom's leg too tightly, she got home with her leg going numb, and fell, gashing her arm. Back to the hospital in the middle of the night, for 11 stitches.

We get her out a day or so later, and into a Home with a rehab center, and find out there is an absolutely huge blood blister on her foot, caused by the Ace bandage. Back to said hospital to get that drained a couple days later, then back to the home.

All this time I'm juggling trips to see mom (she lives in her own place on my sister's property, so my sister the God-sent saint has dealt with all the above momprobs), cell phone replacement, shed construction, and house remodeling, old bathroom redo edition. On one of our trips to see mom, we special order wall tile for said bathroom, only to find out a week later that they don't make it no more. Three days later, I discover the supplier has 2 pieces left out of the 5 we wanted, so we got that ordered and are waiting for it.

I was redoing some of the wiring in the under construction bathroom wall before closing it up, and unknowingly broke one wire in the lead going to one of the two plugs for our big bath tub in the other bathroom. Found out it was bad when we went to use the massage jets (I'd say Jacuzzi, but that's a brand name, like Kleenex) the other night. I finally got the problem diagnosed, tracked down and fixed by about 7 PM yesterday.

But Friday, the alternator went out on my car....

So that brings us up to what's happening.

Got the shed up but not insulated, so can't build shelves yet. Because...

Bought replacement alternator with the insulation money, but don't have money to have it switched out until April 12th, the day we get our next checks. So no station wagon for hauling anything of any size. Wife's car is a Chevy Aveo.

New phones have a learning curve we're up against.

But at least the furnace has been working great.

Almost all the sheet rock is up in the bathroom.

The tub is working again.

Mom is still in the rehab center.

The weather has been totally uncooperative, so we're not totally done with getting out of our old storage unit (with monthly bill). Thanks to shed and other problems.

But I DO check this board at LEAST once a day, even if I don't post.

And when I do post, it's so long, most won't read it all.

But, that's Life.
Old Apr 2 2017, 12:58 PM   #4050
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I read all that, Allen. You certainly had a busy few months. I hope your mom improves.

I will not say we are done with the "white, cold stuff" because that would probably bring on a last blast. We had a reasonable amount this winter, much of it was good for making snow people, which I did!

I hope our phones last a long time as I'm used to it, finally.

I've planted some pumpkin, camtelope and flower seeds. I went to a seminar about a month ago on "Bees, butterflies and other pollinators". I am hoping to have a lot more flying bugs and things in the yard this year.

That's about it.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2017, 02:06 PM   #4051
Daccio
Crafter

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Two Georges

Just thought I'd chime in. I've begun apprenticing in Master Jerint's workshop. Well, more precisely I'm apprenticing in a music store to learn how to repair violins, violas, cellos and bases that are rented to schools and students.

Really though, it's a bit like working in a small Harper Hall. Yhere are several repair techs in the shop, though they repair brass and woodwind instruments. In the afternoons students start coming in for lessons and we get to hear a lot of the instrument noises, including voice students.

It's going to be a nice gig and the job is perfect for me since my daughter is leaving for college in the fall. I've been a stay at home dad for 17 years. Before her birth I worked in a small printer's hall.
Daccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3 2017, 10:52 AM   #4052
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Oh dear Allen, life has been hitting you hard lately. I hope things ease up a bit and you don't need to spend all your time and money on fixing your house or vehicles. I hjope your mom's doing better.

Daccio, your new apprenticeship sounds fun.

I wish spring would hurry along and get properly started. We don't have much snow anymore but it's still colder than I'd like.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2017, 09:10 AM   #4053
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Yes, Allen, I did read it all the way through. It sounds as if I can add you to the long list of people I know who have declared that they were busier retired than not retired. Also it makes me glad that I don't have to worry about the maintenance on my flat. But one of the first things I bought when I moved to Wellington was a new sewing machine - why I needed to was a long story about a less than co-operative 90 year old parent.
I've been making soft furnishings and a new set of net curtains out of someone else's failed sewing project that I bought at the Red Cross op-shop. Curtains for five large sash windows finished up costing me $40.00 and a fair bit of patience since the orginals were cut crooked and needed re-cutting and re-sewing.
On the building maintenance side, three guys turned up unannounced this morning and were making a thunderous racket that was freaking out my cat so I went out to see what was up. They'd been sent by the Body Corporate for my block of flats to clear out the ceiling space so nothing would fall through it if we had another earthquake. That ended up with them cutting six abandoned corrugated iron header tanks into small pieces so that they could be dragged through the a small hatch in the ceiling of the other staircase. I wonder how they got up there in the first place? There was quite a bit of other stuff too - it's amazing to think what a house built in 1929 could have accumulated inside the ceiling. Mostly building offcuts of gib-board, an extra header tank made out of something flexible and a huge pile of ancient rusted-out galvanised iron down-pipes.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2017, 09:33 PM   #4054
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

OK,get home fom Shoppong to find the Lawn moed

The problem?

IT'S FRAKING RAINING HERE!!

As Vyon can attest, it's been a wet few old days here and where I live, the ground tends to get boggy and mushiy here. I'm surprised the guy didn't start plwoing instead of mowing

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Apr 5 2017, 08:29 AM   #4055
vyon

Just when I was wondering whether being an imbecile was a prerequisite for getting a gardening job in Wellington ...

The car-park and the paved area between this building and the street are supposed to be tidied up every three months. In the eighteen months I've lived here I had seen these "gardeners" twice and both times they left rubbish in the agapanthus plants between the carpark and the road. I got sick of looking at the mess and tidied it up myself, planting some flowers and herbs in a weedy gap between the agapanthus bulbs. Last week somebody walking past left a sweet little note in a plastic bag in my flower garden thanking me for doing it, and planted a wind-chime in the back of the garden. It made my day and my landlady's when I showed her the note.

Today while I was out we had the third visit, from the third different so-called gardener. He was weed-eating the plants in the front paving when I got home. I went to get some herbs from this tiny front garden. Despite the plants being in rows and having labels, he had dumped all the autumn leaves raked out of the carpark behind it on top of my plants. I could only find the pole part of the wind-chime. I told them he'd put the leaves on top of my garden and I was going to put them in his wool-sack with the stuff he'd cleaned out of the next-door neighbour's garden. I doubt the next-door neighbour minds getting a free cleanup!

By the time I got back downstairs with a bucket he'd cleaned up the leaves himself. And all the plants underneath them. And the rest of the wind-chime. I guess I'll just have to start again. The flower border along the front that attracted my note-writer's attention is all sogged out with the rain and was going to need replacing anyway. The herbs are still there, and, ironically, so are the plants that I grew from seed to replace the border. Ironically, because they are wild cinerarias, and if he'd noticed them he'd have thought they are a weed. And he did leave my half planted mercury bay weed lawn in the gap on the other side of the car-park. Maybe because there's half a dozen bought plant labels saying "dichondra" planted between the plugs.

I doubt any of these so-called "gardeners" know the difference between a dandelion and a rhubarb plant.
Old Apr 6 2017, 11:05 AM   #4056
Allen

The Saga Continues

Those most interested may want to follow along on your Missouri road map!

Sunday we got a call from our son in Indiana that he had an Air Force conference in Oklahoma, and would be coming through beautiful *this area* on his way, and maybe we could meet somewhere on I-44 for lunch Monday. We live in Licking, which is about 35 miles south of Rolla (which is on I-44) on US 63. Wife had an appointment for a free hearing evaluation on Monday, in Mountain Grove, which is on US 60, about 30 miles south of us. But at 10:30.

So Monday we get up, get on our way before 9:30 (a bit of a process, since we are late-night people thanks to my old work schedule) and make the appointment while keeping tabs on son's current location. Upon our arrival at the appointment, son is in Pacific. Wife is told she needs hearing aids, which Miracle Ear will be happy to provide her for only $4000-$6000. No, Medicare doesn't pay any of that. So, no way we can afford that kind of money. Meanwhile, son is about 20 to 30 minutes from Rolla, so no way can we meet him there.

We decide to try for Marshfield, which is on I-44, and also across country from us with no direct access from our location. So off we go down US 60, knowing son is stopping for gas in Rolla. Down US 60, past Seymour, to state highway A, and across country to Marshfield, where we find out son is still about 90 minutes away from us. So we drive toward each other and meet in Lebanon for lunch. We got there only a few minutes before him. Lunch at Arby's; a good time was had by all.

Now on to Home Remodel, Bathroom Edition, V2.0 We call Home Depot for a status update on the special order tile (remember, I mentioned the tile?). No, it's not in yet, but expected today. Call back after 3 PM.

So, brave soul that I am, I decide we'll go up I-44 to St. Louis, and off we go on a plan I hatched in the middle of the night before, if the tile came in.

But the plan didn't include the rain storms. But we finally arrive in St. Louis and go to Ted Drewe's for the best frozen custard in the world. Or at least the USA.... they have the award to prove that.

Then over the surface streets to our favorite nursery for a couple of air plants, and out I-64 to I-270 to I-70 , all in more rain storms, to O'Fallon to visit with my mom, after a minor stop at Mid Rivers Mall.

Mom is doing well; she says they might kick her out about April 12th if she's well enough.

Get to Home Depot in Wentzville for the tile, and to settle up on the money end, since I had ordered and paid for 5 tiles and was getting only 2. Lo and behold, the tile had actually arrived, after being told twice that it wasn't there yet. By the time everything is done, it's now 9:00 PM and we hadn't eaten since noon-ish, so supper at Steak 'n Shake, then we were homeward bound.

Arrived home around 12:30 PM, fed Bob, whose stomach thought his throat was cut, and sat up with the wife until about 1:45 while she finished some sewing with the stuff she bought at the mall. A couple of things for our "adopted" grand daughter she wanted to deliver Tuesday, after my dental appointment. But drove through at least 5 rain storms on 3 Interstate highways and never left Missouri.

I didn't mention the dental appointment. I had been scheduled for 2 PM Tuesday, but had allowed them to reschedule me for 11:00 AM while on the road trip Monday. I would have been napping in the chair except for the scraping and so on associated with cleaning.

Isn't retired life grand?
Old Apr 7 2017, 09:36 AM   #4057
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Ouch... Sounds awful.
Old Apr 7 2017, 10:03 AM   #4058
Allen

More fun than a slap on the belly with a wet trout.
Old Apr 7 2017, 11:20 AM   #4059
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

You've been so busy with many different kinds of things I just lnew you had to be retired, Allen. "They say" that's when teh busy life starts, right. Working life was having it easy!

I'm coasting along. After a more than marvelous 3.5 week holiday in South Africa (crossing the country, flying into Johannesburg and flying home from Cape Town) we came back to an apartment full of boxes since we more or less bought a new apartment unplanned, moved November 9th and left for Africa on November 18th

We're now settled in more or less. More or less because we are still waiting for new firniture we ordered. It's apparently normal for it to have delivery times of up through three month nowadays. The first (7.8 feet dining room table + chairs) will be delivered next week! That after they had the temerity to say they couldn't deliver until week 20 - that's MAY! because they seemed to have sold my chairs while we were waiting for the glass table top. That got me really angry but they managed to keep me appeased and magic some chairs from somewhere (probably nicked from another order).

Brought the last removal boxes back to the removal company today. The last 26 book boxes Those had held part of my Anne McCaffrey collection I never unpacked because I had an agreement with the local library to do an Anne McCaffrey exhibition in February. So almost everything is unpacked and in place. New furniture will arrive end of April after which we can think about a carpet, small tables and a good lighting plan. I did already started with Philips Hue living colours wifi lighting but I need to complete it.

But we ar happy in the new apartment, that's the main thing

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2017, 02:50 AM   #4060
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

We have problems? So does A.M.F.F.: nobody's posted anything there in 4 days!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2017, 05:52 AM   #4061
vyon

And it's mainly the games section that's getting interest here too.
Old Apr 11 2017, 09:37 AM   #4062
mara

O boy, I am glad we moved into an appartement years ago. All that hussle.
Old Apr 11 2017, 03:41 PM   #4063
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
O boy, I am glad we moved into an appartement years ago. All that hussle.
Yeah, we're both turning sixty (me this year), so we saw buying an apartment as an investment for the future. The price was right and of course, the mortgage intrest rate is ridiculously low
It's originally a 5 room apartment converted to a 4 room, nice and spacy (106 square metres) with a seperate kitchen with its own balcony, something I really wanted.
Very proud of my (Ikea) kitchen. Designed by myself and built/assembled by my brother and me. I love to cook and am very happy with my kitchen.

Kitchen by Hans van der Boom, on Flickr

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 11 2017, 07:08 PM   #4064
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

That is beautiful and it looks like you have good views through the windows. You bring up something I've had discussions with good friends about on another site. One lives in the UK and the other in South Africa. They both talk about "buying" apartments. I am pretty sure over here we don't BUY apartments. Those are only rentals. A house, condo or trailer can be either rented or bought. Just one of those differences in cultures/countries! I hope you will be very happy in your new place. I am a bit ahead of you as I will be 65 in a few weeks!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2017, 10:22 PM   #4065
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Nice.

Wish I had a Kitchen like that.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website

Last edited by Kugai; Apr 12 2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old Apr 11 2017, 10:36 PM   #4066
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugai View Post
Mice.

Mice? Where?

And if there are mice, why would you want a kitchen like that?

LOL!
Old Apr 12 2017, 02:41 AM   #4067
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

His pet hamster ran across the keyboard.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Apr 12 2017, 11:57 AM   #4068
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
That is beautiful and it looks like you have good views through the windows. You bring up something I've had discussions with good friends about on another site. One lives in the UK and the other in South Africa. They both talk about "buying" apartments. I am pretty sure over here we don't BUY apartments. Those are only rentals. A house, condo or trailer can be either rented or bought. Just one of those differences in cultures/countries! I hope you will be very happy in your new place. I am a bit ahead of you as I will be 65 in a few weeks!
We're in the fourth floor of eight, Cis. We do have nice views indeed.

Old Apr 12 2017, 07:37 PM   #4069
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

I hate typos

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Apr 12 2017, 08:16 PM   #4070
SpaceCowboy
Renegade

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

At least the letters are on the same row of the keyboard and next to each other. The typos I hate are when the letters are on different rows and different ends.

Quote:

I hate typos
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2017, 10:08 AM   #4071
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Love your kitchen Hans! We have an Ikea kitchen too, but it's a lot more basic. :p But neither one of us is as passionate about cooking as you are.
Old Apr 13 2017, 10:12 AM   #4072
Allen

Quote:

I hate typos
Don't you though? I just couldn't help myself with that one. Only thing that would have made it better is if you had used an exclamation point instead of a period. (Mice!) I would still be ROFL if you had done that.
Old Apr 14 2017, 10:28 AM   #4073
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Here a trailer is something you tow behind a car and can sleep in, but not a permanent abode. I always figured apartments were accommodation units in multi-family houses, either rented or bought, and that the ones you buy are called condos.

Here apartments can be rented or bought, or rather, you can buy shares in a housing company (something similar to a condo?) but not the apartment itself. The housing company charges a monthly maintenance fee, much smaller than rent but it covers common costs such as lighting and heating in common areas like staircases and basements. Some of the charge is set aside to pay for long-term projects that the housing company shareholders can vote on, such as repainting etc.
Old Apr 14 2017, 12:35 PM   #4074
mara

That kitchen is beautiful Hans. I see you can even stir fry.
I rent an apartment and pay a small amound per month for lighting and claening up of the stairs and lift and such.
Old Apr 14 2017, 07:32 PM   #4075
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Star Wars VIII Trailer up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWCbhT7JLY

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Apr 15 2017, 07:50 AM   #4076
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Here apartments can be rented or bought, or rather, you can buy shares in a housing company (something similar to a condo?) but not the apartment itself. The housing company charges a monthly maintenance fee, much smaller than rent but it covers common costs such as lighting and heating in common areas like staircases and basements. Some of the charge is set aside to pay for long-term projects that the housing company shareholders can vote on, such as repainting etc.
I own my apartment outright but, like you described, I also pay an amount to the Association of Owners for the communal spaces like elevator, garbage space, hallways etc. and maintenance and cleaning are also paid out of that. In addition I rent a space in the parking garage underneath the apartment building.

Old Apr 15 2017, 09:25 AM   #4077
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Much saddened by killing of Hannah Bladon in Jerusalem. I have sat through many lectures near her (we both liked sitting near the front) and shared some seminars.

C. S. Lewis

Old Apr 17 2017, 10:37 PM   #4078
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

My condolences for your loss, P'ter.
Old Apr 27 2017, 10:24 PM   #4079
granath