A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Freedom

Old Jun 23 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Brenda

Default Misplaced priorities!

I'm rereading these books, and it's been a while, and I had forgotten how much I dislike a certain part of Freedom’s Challenge – the “Must Make Babies Now!” campaign. It’s really problematic. First of all, they’re still stranded on an alien planet wondering whether their original captors or their new landlords are going to attack them first; Second, they’ve been having trouble assimilating all the new adults that are being constantly dumped on the planet. But that implies that there would be a good time to start pressuring every available female to start having babies.

I don’t like them pushing Kris. I find her reaction – backing away, an outraged “WHAT?!” – to be perfectly reasonable. Then Zainal tries to talk to her about it and she doesn’t want to, and is outraged that he fully supports this campaign, and he holds her down when she wants to get up and leave the conversation. Then he gets up to get her some more soup, and by the time he returns, she’s given in, saying “I guess I overreacted a little.”

NO YOU DIDN”T!!!

This change of attitude happened over only a couple of pages, and less than a couple of hours. I would expect a lot more talking, thinking, looking at other women who are happy with the situation, before even considering the idea seriously.

Not to mention that this new policy gives every man on the planet an open invitation to proposition her.

The way she ends up getting her baby doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the way she’s told she has to start having some.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Misplaced priorities!

Gee, for once the men get it their way... and what do you get, a critical reader

Sorry, couldn't help myself Brenda. I agree with you!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Brenda

It's just so wierd reading it and she's all of a sudden okay with it, or at least not mad about it, even though she then keeps having trouble with guys who keep asking.
Old Jun 24 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I have to agree. There were several times, including that one, when her reactions weren't what I would expect of such a strong, self-confident, independent woman like Kris.
Old Jun 25 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Brenda

I also don't get why they thought that was a good time to start a population surge in the first place!
Old Jun 26 2013, 03:24 AM   #6
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Because BABIES! All McCaffrey heroines need to pop out a sprog or three.

(You know what, I think this is one of the reasons why the Crystal Singer books and The Ship Who Sang have aged so well. No reproductive imperatives!)
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Except Lessa! She had to stop after the one and her hubby was even understanding somewhat...

Don't forget the plot of her very first story was about (Martian) babies... although she actually didn't like that one herself. And I think you can add the original Pern trilogy to the 'better with age' group too, I think.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 27 2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Except Lessa! She had to stop after the one and her hubby was even understanding somewhat...

Don't forget the plot of her very first story was about (Martian) babies... although she actually didn't like that one herself. And I think you can add the original Pern trilogy to the 'better with age' group too, I think.
Ah, but Ramoth Super Breeder more than made up for Lessa!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Brenda

I've been thinking - it could have been so much better, just have another bit of exposition about life on Botany, and how all the new people were settling in and it looked like there was going to be a baby boom... And Kris would be thinking about it, never having thought about having kids before, but then Zainal couldn't be the father... And maybe have her friends ask, and Zainal ask, but not pressure her! And then have the rest of it as written
Old Jun 27 2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ah, but Ramoth Super Breeder more than made up for Lessa!
Ah, true. Very true. But then, the dragons outbreed all

Old Jun 28 2013, 04:08 PM   #11
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

That's why there are so many of them today!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2013, 03:36 PM   #12
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I think Brenda, you have nailed one of the reasons I was never crazy about these books. Letting nature take it's course is one thing. When the future of your entire settlement is in doubt, pushing a baby boom seems .... irresponsible.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote