A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Aug 30 2006, 09:49 AM   #41
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (25) - The graphic novels (and a newly found Spanish edition)

Kinda makes you wonder if there is any way she could know everything that was done for Pern. And if it was done with her knowledge.
Old Aug 30 2006, 11:16 AM   #42
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (25) - The graphic novels (and a newly found Spanish edition)

No way she will or will have known all that has been done (she said as much to me). We also discussed this a few years ago when she explained to me what an author could and could not do or was allowed to do in relation to wishes or demands conerning cover art and translators... Believe me, most people have an inflated view of what authors are allowed to decide

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30 2006, 03:39 PM   #43
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, I loved seeing this, and yes I am with you in the "Never knew it existed" group on sooooo many of the things that the "Highlights" are about.

If it wasn't for one of the Highlights Section of MoM... in particular the one with the "Science Fiction Plus +", magazine in it... I wouldn't have been able to have my copy of it( that I found and bought, after reading the Highlight about it) signed by Anne.

One of my favorite places on MoM is the Highlight archives....they are fantastic to read over and over again. Thank you Cheryl, Hans and now Becky, for taking the time to do them all, they are all wonderful to read, and collect.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30 2006, 04:14 PM   #44
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

I can but echo what Maelin says! The Collecting Highlights are always excellent and very interesting!

The only problem being that I then want to go and get the featured product!!!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30 2006, 10:06 PM   #45
Becky
Coelura

I too have always enjoyed the Highlights. There is so much to know about what's out there to collect! No one person can know it all. We are lucky to have several great collectors around here!
Old Jan 2 2009, 12:47 AM   #46
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (25) - The graphic novels (and a newly found Spanish edition

*bump*

I kind of wish I had the money to get everything that's highlighted. As it is, I've had extra copies of books that I've put on ebay, simply to get hold of some of them. As an example, I had 3 copies of "Serve it forth", - I've kept 1 hardcover and 1 paperback edition for myself and was able to help Lily out as she wanted a copy so the 3rd one went to a good home Now going to look for the 3 seperate editions of this highlight, due to having the combined UK version already just as happy with that one if I can get it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2009, 11:22 PM   #47
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (25) - The graphic novels (and a newly found Spanish edition

Jube...sounds like your ebaying is paying off, not only for yourself, but for some other lucky Momers too. Good Luck, I hope you find your next treasure soon.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2009, 12:07 AM   #48
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

Jube,

Here are links to an eBay seller, who is offering each of the three separate Dragonflight graphic novels in near mint condition. They are $4 a piece. Hope this is helpful and within your price range.

Dragonflight #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragonflight-199...3286.m20.l1116

Dragonflight #2

Dragonflight #3
Old Jan 3 2009, 07:25 AM   #49
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

And I just brought the set from a comic book seller, for nearly the same price thanks anyway Unicorntig for the helping hand, perhaps someone else may like it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Mar 6 2009, 09:53 PM   #50
Litwolf
Drudge

Now Reading: Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

Well, much to my surprise, I found a copy of the paperback graphic novel on PaperBackSwap.com and only had to pay shipping for it! Its used but in excellent condition for the used book. I am most pleased!

I was wondering, does anyone know how much of a hand Anne McCaffrey had in deciding the artwork and how all the characters, dragon, and watchwhers look? The covers of each DRoP book vary so much that Ive always had to simply make up my own image of what the dragons look like in my head. Could the dragons in the graphic novel be considered the closest to the image of Pern dragons in Anne McCaffrey's brain? They seem pretty close to how I always pictured them, except for having ears and no knobs on their head or whatever those were called. Their eyes ever changed colors in the graphic novel, something I realized only in my second reading of it.

Im jealous of all of you who have a poster based on the graphic novel covers! Is there anywhere one could buy them now adays? Ive checked eBay over this past month and have had no such luck.
Litwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2009, 03:16 AM   #51
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Sorry, can;t help you with that. I never asked Anne and never read it anywhere. But I do fully agree with what Cheryl wrote in her post in your thread on this subject in the Book Collectors forum. The characters seem modeled after Robin Wood's portraits of the Pernese and those certainly had Anne's approval

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2009, 12:35 PM   #52
Becky
Coelura

Litwolf - Just keep watching ebay. They do come up, tho rarely. Set a saved search that will notify you when they come up. Not a huge help to you, but at least it's something.

I did find mine just by searching for posters in a google search but that was about 10 years ago. I did a LOT of website searching and just emailing the stores I found asking if they had the posters. In fact it may be that I had just emailed the store and they got back to me that they had them. I have found so many many things just by asking someone.
Old Mar 9 2009, 09:37 PM   #53
Litwolf
Drudge

Now Reading: Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

Thanks guys. Ill keep checking eBay whenever I might have time.
Litwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2009, 08:14 PM   #54
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Golden Talisath, this is the collector's highlight that we've been discussing about in PM's so that you know what covers I'm looking for, for you. Hope it helps you out!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Dec 8 2012, 07:59 PM   #55
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Great collector highlight, Hans! If you don't mind I'm posting a picture of one of the unsigned hardcovers and the cover of the paperback edition.

I have one of the signed copies too, but it has no presentation case. Bought it before I knew too much about collecting.

I have one of the unsigned copies of that second one I've had for several years. I picked it up at a secondhand bookshop in Wellington.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote