A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Aug 15 2006, 12:58 AM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
White Collecting Highlight (26) Pern 30 Year Commemorative Watch

Well, I don't have a lot of information to share about this item, except that it exists and some nice pictures since I've managed to acquire one.

For the 30th anniversary of the publication of the first Pern story, in 1997, a few promotional/commemorative items were made and sold, such as a special Easton Press edition of Dragonflight. One such item is this watch.

It is essentially a cheap plastic watch, black, very lightweight. It bears the name "Anne McCaffrey" on the top and the text "30 years of the Dragons" arced along on the bottom, with a silhouette of a dragon on the bottom half as well.

I strongly suspect this item was produced in the UK, perhaps at the behest of her UK publisher Transworld. I believe this because the font used for the text is a match to what Transworld used on Anne's books in the 1990s, and the dragon silhouette is a match to the Steve Weston cover of Nerilka's Story, published on Transworld/Corgi editions of the book.

I do not have any information on how many watches were made, what the original purchase price was, or any other useful details. If anyone does know such things, please share!

[Jayru -- is there any chance your Transworld contact could confirm if they did in fact produce/commision the watch, and any further details?]
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2006, 01:58 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (26) Pern 30 Year Commemorative Watch

Great item!! Maybe Jayru can find out if any more exist at Transworld (if they did produce it) and maybe a few of us MoMers can get hold of them? (not so subtle hint that I'd like one, J!)
Old Aug 15 2006, 11:53 PM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

This is a fantastic find for you Cheryl, I don't think any of us would pass one of these bye if they happen to find one somewhere!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

I can add that Anne herself acted surprised when I asked her about this item (a few weeks ago, early August). She said she didn't even know it existed.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'll have to bring it with to let her see it, I guess!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13 2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

I just got my hands on one of these watches! It is a little bit broken but I have all the parts & should be able to get it fixed.

I actually thought it had gotten lost in the mail as I ordered it over 5 weeks ago. the seller even refunded my money. Anyway it just arrived today and so now I'm going to have to pay the seller again, but It's worth it just to have this cheap, little plastic collectable! I love it!!

Sorry about resurrecting this old thread...
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13 2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Congratulations!! That is some serious hard-to-find collectable, you lucky girl Well done.

Oh, and pictures of course, or it didn't happen

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13 2011, 12:36 PM   #8
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

Wow, that's really neat. Good find!