A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern > Science of Pern

Science of Pern This forum is for Edith's Science of Pern project. Please keep each post to one subject, and stay on topic; off topic posts may be moved or deleted. Guests may post in this forum (subject to change).

Old Dec 12 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Scientific type names for the dragons

I was attempting to write a theory about how the different dragon colours evolved over time, but it was so full of errors, and just got worse with each re-edit that I abandoned it. However, one thing I still meant to post was this list of the animal family tree of Pern's dragons, and scientific names I made up for them using a latin translator.

*=Extinct

Aquatic Ancestor* (Aqualacerta Pernus)
|
|------Tunnel Snakes (Lacertaspecus Pernus)
|
Early Fire-Lizards* (Prolacertignus Pernus)
|
|------Whersports (Novolacerta Pernus)
|
Later Fire-Lizards* (Nuperlacertignus Pernus)
|
Modern Fire Lizards* (Lacertignus Pernus)
|
Mentasynth Fire-Lizards (Novolacertignus Pernus)
|
|------Whers (Dracodissimilis Windblossumpingi)
|
Pernese Dragon (Draconus Kittipingyungi)

(If you wanted to add an extra name to any of these, including the dragon’s colour, then add one of the following:
White: Albidum
Green: Viridia
Blue: Caeruleus
Brown: Fuscus
Bronze: Aeneus
Gold: Aurea)

Notes: The several different names for Fire-Lizards was supposed to represent different evolutionary stages. One idea I had was that Whersports were in fact an evolved phase of fire-lizards, which would have died out, but one fire-lizard hatched with a new colour (Blue. Similar to Ruth's hatching), and inadvertantly continued the fire-lizard line (over time, Bronze and Gold colours evolving, which is why Whersports only have two colours*, Green and Brown, while fire-lizards have five. Then, when Wind Blossom was tinkering with Whers, she made genetic changes in the same places that affected the Whersports, which is why they look similar.)

On the other hand, according to RSR, Wind Blossom also engineered the oxen creatures that pull trader wagons, so maybe Whersports were a mistake inbetween Dragons and Whers. Or maybe they were made to spread grubs.

*At least, Whersports have two on this page ://www.kadanzer.org/zipfiles/handbook/fauna.pdf . I seem to remember another site saying they shared the same colours as fire-lizards, and that it was Anne-approved.

EDIT: Oops. That first one should be Lacertaqua, I think. Maybe some of the others too. Anyone know Latin? Which words go before the noun, and which after?

Last edited by Almaron; Dec 13 2009 at 04:49 AM.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Scientific type names for the dragons

Shouldn't there be an obvious genus connection between Pernese dragons and fire-lizards? After all Kitty Ping used fire-lizard material.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2009, 04:23 AM   #3
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

How about "Lacertignus Giganticus Kittipingyungii" ?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Sounds cool. Wait. That means that the Wher name will have to be even longer. Um... Lacertignus Gigandissimilus/Dracodissimilus Windblossompingii/yungii. Same goes for the older species.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, Draconus means dragon, and Lacertignus comes from Lacerta, meaning Lizard, and Ignus, meaning fire (Would I be right in assuming that we could refer to this entire family of animals as Lacertignae?).

Hmm...It could be fun, coming up with more scientific names for Pernese fauna.
Old Dec 13 2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

A very interesting and fun project, Alamaron! Well done

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2009, 09:25 AM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Wher = Lacertignus Medius Noctalis

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Dec 13 2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Almaron
Weyr Harper

To quickly mention the genetics thing again, I meant to add that there used to be a website which had a good theory for how Pernese dragons got their colours. The website has gone offline, annoyingly, but I found a backup using the Internet Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/200210261.../genetics.html
Old Dec 13 2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

No need for the Wayback Machine, the site moved here: http://www.reocities.com/jenaith/index.html
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2009, 09:32 PM   #9
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaron View Post

Just in case anyone doesn't know, Draconus means dragon, and Lacertignus comes from Lacerta, meaning Lizard, and Ignus, meaning fire (Would I be right in assuming that we could refer to this entire family of animals as Lacertignae?).

Hmm...It could be fun, coming up with more scientific names for Pernese fauna.
Dragon would be Draco, not Draconus.
And Kitti was a diminutive for Kit, so I'd say Draco Kitpingyungi.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2009, 11:45 PM   #10
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

A few notes in re: scientific naming --

with the scientific names, the generic name is the one on the left, and is always capitalised; that of the species is on the right, and never capitalised. Related species, those in the same genera, share the same generic name; entirely unrelated species may share the same specific name.

If there are subspecies, the subspecies name goes to the right of the specific name, and this is treated as per the specific name. In addition, fire-lizards and dragons are polymorphic creatures, in this case the 'many shapes' refer to the size and colour differances.

In addition, the scientific names are italicisedwhen used in the above fashion.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2009, 12:21 AM   #11
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

The italics depend on what you're writing in (that would be correct if submitting to a peer-reviewed scientific journal. Writing for a popular-science magazine it would depend on the magazine's format. It is also acceptable to shorten the genus name to an initial, ie H. sapiens.)

Oh, and given the complexity of dragon genetics, it's unlikely you'd be able to break up things like firelizard mark 1, firelizard mark 2, dragons, and watchwhers while sticking with Kingdom-Phylum-Class-Order-Family-Genus-Species-Subspecies. There are actually WAY more subdivisions within those categories. I think you could class all the firelizards (the three-toed ancestor version, the 'domestic' species), the dragons, and the watchwhers all into the same FAMILY. I think it would be difficult to impossible to lump them all into the same genus and try and split it species and subspecies.

Biggest split: dragons, whers, and firelizards are all different species. They can't interbreed. Their radical anatomical and behavioral differences argue for placing them all in different genera. I would NOT split the dragons into subspecies based on color (you don't split E. caballus by color or even by breed of horse). They're all theoretically capable of interbreeding and the different colors can all be produced by the breeding females. I *would* say there's a legitimate argument for creating a subspecies (Draco yungii bendensis, say) for the Benden 9th Pass dragons as they have different characteristics (size and intelligence) that appear to breed true.

Personally, I think "kitpingyungi" looks overlong, and would use "yungii" as the dragon species and "pingii" for the whers.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2009, 05:19 PM   #12
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King

I've never thought to create a binomial nomenclature for the unique creatures of Pern! Y'all are a very creative lot and I love this forum!!!! Are you making a cladogram or phylogenetic tree as well?

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2009, 02:03 AM   #13
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Post Re: Scientific type names for the dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
No need for the Wayback Machine, the site moved here: http://www.reocities.com/jenaith/index.html
Thanks Cheryl got a friend looking for more info. Also so am I, GinnyStar
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2009, 09:39 AM   #14
mumcat2
Darbul

Fan of: Master Robinton
Now Reading: The White Dragon (15th or so time)

Almaron,
Latin (only OU standard) available here: denise @ milward.org.uk . Position of noun and other word depends on whether they are descriptive of the noun, or quaifiers...but every rule has its exceptions unfortunately. As adjectives they must agree with noun in gender, number etc, but Latin has funny adjectives too and uses lots of single word adjectives that need whole phrases in English.

Last edited by Cheryl; Dec 27 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: active email link removed to avoid spam
mumcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2010, 06:34 PM   #15
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey

Ah, a thread I have personal knowlege in. I even wrote a book on the subject, though for Earth dragons not Pern ones: http://www.scribd.com/doc/16225318/T...-of-the-Dragon

First leys review the rules of modern animal classification...

1. One animal group always belongs to its ancestors clade. This is why birds and dinosaurs are both placed in Dinosauria, just because a species changes shape does not change what its ancestors are.

2. It is correct for a scientific name for the Genus to be capitalized and the species not to be. In addition it is proper for it to be in italics. One thing many popular books on dragons forget is that no two animals can have the same generic name. In this case the name Draco cannot be used for pernese dragons because it is already in use for a species of South Asian agamid lizard (Draco volens and related species).

3. The same name cannot be used for different animals, so if someone uses Pegasus for a fish (yes it has already been done) than it cannot be used for a flying horse.

4. The first name in print also has priority which is why scientists now call Trachodon by the name Edmontosaurus. Edmontosaurus was named first.The name Draconus (Page 1987) is thus also invaled as it is in use for Earth's mythical dragons.

5. It is a known fact that the firelizard is the ancestor of Dragons. So one species is known to be a decendant of another species than that species is placed in the same genus as its ancestor. This is why both the domestic pig and the Eurasian wild boar belong to the species Sus scofa.

6. If a species is named after a person than it is customary to use only the last name (not capitalized) so it would be hensoni not Tamarahensoni

So using these rules, like it or not, Pern's dragons (and watch whers) would be in the same species as the Firelizards. A more modern classification would then be:

Extinct Aquatic Ancestor* (Aqualacerta Pernus)
|
| _Tunnel Snakes (Lacettaspecus pernus)
|-- |
| |_Six-legged lizard-like genra such as the Crawler (unnamed)
|
| _ Extinct Ancestral dracomorph (Prolacertignus pernus)
|--|
|_ Whersport (Novalacerta pernus)
|
| _ Extinct Ancestral Dragon (Nuperlacertinus pernus)
|_|
| _ Dragonet (Lacertignus pernus pernus)
|_|
| _ Mentasynth Fire-Lizards (Lacertignus pernus novolacertignus)
|_|
| _ Whers (Lacertignus pernus pingi)
|_|
|_ Pernese Dragon (Lacertignus pernus yungi)

Hope this helps.
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Darn the cladogram did not come out when it was posted.

It should have been Tunnel Snakes + Crawlers

Extinct Ancestral dracomorph (Prolacertignus pernus) +Dragon clade

Dragonclade is Whersport + Extinct Ancestral Dragon

Ancestral Dragon + Dragonet

Dragonet + Fire-lizard

Fire-lizard +Whers & Dragons

or if you prefer dragonets gave rise to fire-lizards which in turn gave rise to whers and dragons. Just like the books say.
Old Mar 31 2010, 05:46 PM   #17
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Green Re: Scientific type names for the dragons

Well no one else suggested any more terms so I went ahead and whiped up this cladogram of pernese organisms along with this preliminary classification.

All are divided into the following format for ease of use:

Linnaean Classification Clade Name Author of Clade (description or definition) “meaning of the name”

Kingdom Pernanimalia Henson, 2010 (animals from the planet Pern) “Pern animals”

Phylum Pernvertebrata (Pernese “vertebrates”) “Pern Vertebrates”

Class Pernpisces Henson, 2010 (Pernese fish, possibly not a natural group) “Pern Fish”

Class Hexapodvertebrata Henson, 2010 (the most recent common ancestor of Aqualacerta pernus and Lacertignus pernus and all of their decendants) “

Subclass Aqualacerta Henson, 2010 (Extinct aquatic ancestral forms) “water lizard”

---Aqualacera pernus Almaron, 2009 “Pernese water lizard”

Subclass Dracopernia Henson 2010 (the most recent common ancestor of Lacertaspecus pernus and Lacertignus pernus and all of their decendants) “dragons of Pern”

Order Lacertaspecia Henson, 2010 (Lacertaspecus pernus and all species closer to it than to Dracogryphus domesticus) “Lizard tunnel”

---Lacertaspecus pernus Almaron, 2009 (common Northern tunnel snake)

Order Avedracopernia Henson, 2010 (the most recent common ancestor of Pseudogryphus familiaris and Lacertignus pernus and all of their decendants) “bird dragons of Pern”

Suborder Pseudogryphia Henson, 2010 (wherries: Pseudogryphus familiaris and all animals more closely related to that species than to Lacertignus pernus) “bird dragons of Pern”

---Pseudoogryphus familiaris Henson, 2010 (common wherry) “familiar false griffon”

---Struthiopavo domesticus Henson, 2010 (domestic wherry) “domestic ostrich peacock” PS: turkey means peacock.

Suborder Lacertignia Henson 2010 (Prolacertigus pernus and Lacertignus pernus and all of their decendants) “fire lizards”

Family Prolacertignidae Henson 2010 (Prolacertigus pernus and all animals closer to that species than to Lacertignus pernus) “before fire lizard family”

---Prolacertignus pernus Almaron, 2009 (extinct ancestral form) “before fire lizards of Pern)

Family Novalacertidae Henson 2010 (Novalacerta pernus and all animals closer to that species than to Lacertignus pernus) “new lizard family”

---Novalacerta pernus Almaron, 2009 (whersport) “New lizard of Pern”

Family Lacertignidae Henson 2010 (dragon-kin: Nuperlacertigus pernus and Lacertignus pernus and all of their decendants) “fire lizard family”

---Nuperlacertignus pernus Almaron, 2009 (extinct ancestral form) “old fire lizard of Pern”

---Lacertignus pernus Almaron, 2009 (dragonet/fire lizard and all species created from that genome)

-----Lacertignus pernus pernus (Almaron, 2009) (old type dragonet) “fire lizard of Pern Pern”

-----Lacertignus pernus novolacertignus (Almaron, 2009) (metasynth fire lizard) “fire lizard new fire lizard”

-----Lacertignus pernus pingi (Almaron, 2009) (watch wher) “Ping’s fire lizard of Pern”

-----Lacertignus pernus yungi (Almaron, 2009) (dragons) Young’s fire lizard of Pern

Note: personally I would have preferred the name Pyrodraco “fire dragon” for the fire lizard – dragon genus but thats just my opinion
Old Apr 1 2010, 03:10 AM   #18
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Wow! That's seriously awesome!

Oh, the reason I chose Lacertignus is because it was literally "Lizard-Fire", which was pretty close to what the settlers called it (Plus, it meant that Draco could be used later for the dragons, in a sort of foreshadowing.)

Also, because I wanted the list to look like some of the extinct species had been discovered at later times, some odd names are listed (Hence Nuperlacertignus before Lacertignus, because the Prolacertignus would have been found first, and then Nuper, like how new Dinosaur fossils found sometimes shake up the records.)
Old Apr 1 2010, 03:15 AM   #19
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

I second that!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2010, 08:03 AM   #20
Between
Muskie

Fan of: Pegasus, Pern, & CS
Now Reading: Harper Hall, Eon, The sharing knife:book 4

I would just like to say this is absolutely awsome
Between is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2010, 01:02 PM   #21
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I tried to see it, but right now my real life eye problem is making hard to see, look good shall have look it over when I can see better.

To me its a bit too bright and hazy.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2010, 04:26 PM   #22
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Please could a mod move this thread to the Science of Pern sub-forum?

C. S. Lewis

Old Apr 1 2010, 06:59 PM   #23
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Now that loosk terrific. You should send it to Anne.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote