A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old May 14 2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
White Collecting Highlight (17) - The White Dragon (US 1st paperback)

The White Dragon is the coming-of-age story of Jaxom and his white dragon Ruth. This novel is an expansion of Anne's earlier novelette A Time When, and it was Anne's first book to make the New York Times Bestseller list -- making it the first book by an avowed science fiction author to do so.

The first US mass market paperback was published in May 1979 by Del Rey in New York, with cover art by Michael Whelan. It sold for $2.25 US.

The first US mass market paperback printing of this book is of interest because there were two states due to numerous printing errors and typos in the first state, the most notable of which is detailed below. When the errors were discovered Del Rey made an attempt at recalling the entire production run, but it was already on bookstore shelves so they were not all that successful. The errors were corrected and a new book printed to replace the first edition -- with no notation on the copyright page to indicate that it was a new print run of the book.

Copyright page, which is identical for either state. The highlighted section is where you determine what printing version you have (for later printings, a second line will show stating the printing and the year).

The largest error was that a block of text a couple pages long was shifted out of place, and checking for this error will let you determine whether you have the first or second state of the first printing of this edition. On page 143, the fourth paragraph starts:

Quote:
"Will she let them Impress, sir?" Jaxom asked the
In the second state this sentence correctly continues as
Quote:
Harper, momentarily forgetting his awareness of the man's mortality.
In the first state with the printing error, the sentence continues nonsensically as
Quote:
head from side to side.
On page 144 the first state jumps back to the proper end of the sentence about halfway down the page. Then on page 146 you reach the point where the block of text was meant to be, again about halfway down the page.

Because the two states to this first printing can only be distinguished by this error and not by the printing statement on the copyright page, it can be a bit tricky to try to collect a specific one through an online bookstore, as most won't mention which state -- if the seller is even aware that there are two. Numerous copies of both states can be had for prices as low as $1 US (and up to over $15 US, which is outlandishly high). This is a book you'll do better to search for the old-fashioned way, or spend time emailing/calling the online stores and hope they're willing to check for you!

For those of you that own a US paperback copy of The White Dragon, which printing/state do you own? I have a ridiculous number of copies of this book (couldn't resist picking up any copy I found for under $0.25), as follows:
1st printing/1st state
1st printing/2nd state
8th printing
18th printing (2 copies)
46th printing (new cover style, not the classic Whelan cover)
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Cheryl; May 15 2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added biblio details, I forgot before! :O
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2006, 02:30 PM   #2
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass
Default Re: Collecting Highligh (17) - The White Dragon (US 1st paperback)

That is very interesting. Definately something I will look out for.

I would be interested in learning more about "Anne's earlier novelette A Time When" as I know nothing about this...

Thanks for the article
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Matt, A Time When (or the tale of Lord Gaxom [sic!]) undoubtedly will be featured in one of our Collecting Highlights as it is a "real" collectible: hard to find and very expensive

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Perhaps for my next CH, hmmmm.....
Old May 15 2006, 12:41 AM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I have both states of the 1st edition. I couldn't believe it when I read it the first time! White Dragon is the very first Anne book I ever read and I bought it off the shelf in it's very first state and got VERY confused when I came upon that part! Then when I finally got online and actually found other Anne fans and talked to them about it they didn't know what I was talking about. So then I had to go find the pages that were wrong and compare to their copies. That's when I found out about the two different 1st editions. So I had to go out and find a corrected first too!
I was hoping you'd include a bit about the error when I started reading, Cheryl! And you did!!!
Old May 15 2006, 01:36 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

This was really very interesting to read about. I have just ordered a signed paperback copy of this book, but I don't know which one it is until I read it. I will be interested to see what I have bought, I will let you know when I get it.

The last copy that I say of "A Time When", was $ 359.00, which is way over my budget.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2006, 01:48 AM   #7
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass

"A Time When", N.E.S.F.A. Press, hardcover limited edition printed for guest of honor appearance at Boscon convention in 1975 (later incorporated into The White Dragon)

Ok, so i see why it's expensive... I just want to read it... Anyone want to photocopy or scan it???
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2006, 07:54 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I wouldn't want to damage the binding, plus it's rather long to make copies of. Besides, the story is included in White Dragon already. But I'll do a CH on it next time, and tell you what part of WD it is, show you the cover and some illustrations.
Old May 15 2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OOOH that would be so nice of you to do, as long as it doesn't harm the book. I know that I would be somewhat hesitant to do it, if I owned this book, and had paid that kind of price for it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 15 2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Exactly why I'm not planning on trying!

But I will cover the book in depth in my next CH on June 1st.
Old May 15 2006, 10:34 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I will be looking forward to the discussion on it on June the 1st. I should have the latest purchased one by then, so I can see which one I have bought.

Old May 16 2006, 09:39 AM   #12
Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Matt, A Time When (or the tale of Lord Gaxom [sic!]) undoubtedly will be featured in one of our Collecting Highlights as it is a "real" collectible: hard to find and very expensive
Then you really don't want to know what my 4 yr old did to this book. (Does anyone know how to get pen marks off the back of the book??)
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (17) - The White Dragon (US 1st paperback)

erm... from clothes/cloth ballpint pen ink can be removed with milk, but I don't know about using that on the book after all, you can't wash a book and if you don't it will smell after stale/sour milk always.

Maybe you should inquire sometime at your local dry cleaner's. They usually have all kinds of special chemical liquids to remover all kinds of stains (my mum used to work in a dry cleaner's long, long ago).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 16 2006, 11:12 AM   #14
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I've seen something- but it was in the bottom of 1 of mum's drawers so it's at least 20 years old cos its been there as long as I can remember
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2006, 11:18 AM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Clambell, OOOOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOO, he marked up your copy of "A time When", that is awful.

Old May 16 2006, 01:59 PM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Kinds do the darndest things

Old May 17 2006, 12:52 AM   #17
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

It's a shame that the little one marked the book. But they don't know any different. (sure hurts tho!) If you do find out something that will remove the ink, let us all in on it, please, you never know when it will come in handy!

Never heard of milk removing ink, tho have used hairspray on fabric. Neat little tidbit! Thanks Hans!
Old May 17 2006, 02:19 AM   #18
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

I shall probably retain my inky clothes, Hans. Signs of a noble foll... profession, eh?
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2006, 10:57 AM   #19
Mary

Since I work in the milk industry I had not heard of the milk so I just googled a bit and found

"Removing ink from cotton: Rotten milk does it. Shannon Lush suggests placing a carton of milk in the sun until the milk forms solids. Place solids over the stain. The ink will bleed up into the milk solids. Leave it there until the ink has bled a long way in. Next step is to wash out that section so that you wash out all the milk solids. Important to remember, says Shannon, that you use "just mild soap and water - cold water. Not hot. Not warm."

and

Removing biro from a photgraphic print: Use a pencil rubber dipped in methylated sprits to draw on the biro and then use a cotton bud to lift off the ink However, Shannon says, "if it is a valuable print it may still be best to use a professional restorer."

but I also found this

Biro/Ink/Felt tip & Wax Crayon are almost impossible to remove and it is perhaps better not to attempt it. Some biro rubbers may work slightly but there is always an impression left behind on the page. Don't be tempted to tear out whole pages of books as some people do - this will only devalue the book completely.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2006, 08:54 PM   #20
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Interesting about the milk bit. I know lemon and salt helps to get stains out of carpet, clothes etc.

Re: A Time When, I found one on ebay but it was nearly $800.00(AU$) and I thought to myself, "Who has a spare $800?" Go figure!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2006, 02:28 AM   #21
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

I'm looking at a poetry book I want, 1st ed., for $350 AUS. Of course, I just happen to lack the money at the moment, so if anyone is willing to pay me for poetry, please pm me
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2006, 06:29 AM   #22
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamball
Then you really don't want to know what my 4 yr old did to this book. (Does anyone know how to get pen marks off the back of the book??)
When's the funeral.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2006, 11:52 AM   #23
~(_'>

I think someone is selling this book on ebay for like $28.

I'd post a link, but am not really awake enough for such right now.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2006, 05:28 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
I will be looking forward to the discussion on it on June the 1st. I should have the latest purchased one by then, so I can see which one I have bought.

I recieved my new treasure today, and have realized that it was a signed first edition HC, not a paperback that I had bought. My old PB was really beat up from so much reading and going to sleep with it in my arms.

Inside of this lovely copy of the book where the signature was, I was delighted to find a special kind of signature from Anne, one I had never seen before in any of my other signatures that I have of hers. Here it is for you to enjoy also.

Last edited by Cheryl; May 22 2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old Feb 15 2008, 04:42 AM   #25
Flinx
Linyaari

Just received two copies of the "1st printing/1st state" today.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2008, 09:51 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Congratulations Flinx...

Old Jun 15 2009, 04:04 AM   #27
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I went into Den Haag on Saturday. I had gone in to buy some knitting things but I forgot my map AND the address so Instead I went into the second hand bookshop there and picked up a few books including a 1st printing/ first run copy of this book and a 1st edition paperback of Nerilka's Story. Both are badly faded but only cost me a few euros.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2009, 09:57 PM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Edith...it must be so much fun shopping there...especailly when you can find a few faves for such great prices. What are you planning on knitting...when you get your supplies???