A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Crystal Singer and Brainships

Old Oct 10 2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Thea
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line
Default Favourite singer?

Okay, firstly forgive me if this has been done before. I did a search for any similar titles and came up blank, but still...

I'm rereading Crystal Singer again, and thoroughly enjoying it. Compared to Pern, I came to Ballybran rather late but I'm glad I did - the characters are so vivid, and they fit into the world so well.

I think my favourite character would have to be Rimbol. It's a shame that we didn't get to see more of his story - he was one of the nicest singers, in my opinion, and his ending was rather sad.

So who are your favourite singers?
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl
Default Re: Favourite singer?

You know, if this has been done it was a loooong time ago, so don't worry

I really like Rimbol too, he's just a nice guy. I agree his ending was sad and wish Anne hadn't had him show up in Crystal Line. I think I would have rather not known. Now, an unhappy end for Jezerey? That I could have gone for

I'm rather fond of Trag. I like Killa, but don't like her at the same time.

My favorite, favorite, favorite? Lars Dahl of course I'd happily hang out on a tropical island with him

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I have to admit that I was always captivated by Killa, I thought her character was one of Anne's more interesting over all...perhaps because she had a great deal of Anne about her.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Thea
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
You know, if this has been done it was a loooong time ago, so don't worry

I really like Rimbol too, he's just a nice guy. I agree his ending was sad and wish Anne hadn't had him show up in Crystal Line. I think I would have rather not known. Now, an unhappy end for Jezerey? That I could have gone for

I'm rather fond of Trag. I like Killa, but don't like her at the same time.

My favorite, favorite, favorite? Lars Dahl of course I'd happily hang out on a tropical island with him
Thanks, Pam.

I tend to agree about Rimbol's presence in Crystal Line. I think I'd rather not have known, either. I agree about Jezerey, too...
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 09:16 AM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Crystal Line was rather a mess. The quality of the writing really didn't match the other two books. But maybe that was intentional, since it was mostly written from Killa's POV and she was a real mess for most of that book.

Quite frankly I find all the singers irritating, including Lars Dahl who could be a real manipulative bastard when he wanted to. Rimbol was my favorite, but we don't really get to see him as a hale and hearty singer, so it's hard to judge how singing changed his personality. Both Killa and Lars changed, and not for the better IMO. Although Killa was always an arrogant witch, singing only made her worse.

I love the CS books, but singers are definitely not my favorite people. I don't think I could tolerate five minutes of any of their company... (Ditto Lessa and the Rowan, if those people are anything resembling an alter ego of Anne's, maybe it's just as well I've never met her in person and am unlikely to do so now...)
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 11:39 AM   #6
draconichybrid
Ssli

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads

For me, it's Killa. Yes, she's bitchy and determined to get her own way. So what?

Killa is an alpha female -- a little of both comes with the territory. *shrug*
With most of her bitchy moments, at least she has the excuse of being emotionally overloaded at the time.

Of course, I'd be the first to admit that I'm biased in favor of alpha females, so....

[off topic]
I always seem to gravitate towards the alpha characters, particularly alpha females. Servility and stupidity happen to be the two biggest turn-offs in my mind -- I'll rate the intelligent, self-sufficient 'Plain Jane' higher than a ditsy supermodel. Go figure. *shrug*

Star Wars universe: Mara Jade, Tyria Sarkin, Mirax Terrik, Tendra Risant, and so on -- all 'take-no-prisoners' alpha personalities.
Anne McCaffery: Lessa, Tia, Sharra, Killa, Rowan, Tirla, Damia, Rhyssa, Laria, Flavia, ... well, you guys get the idea. Don't you?
With Iris Johansen, Catherine Coulter, and Suzanne Brockmann, it'd probably be easier to list the women I don't like. *shrug*
Misc: Karrigan (Green Rider); Morgaine, Viviane (Mists of Avalon); Riley Jenson (Riley Jenson Guardian series).
[/off topic]

Last edited by draconichybrid; Oct 13 2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: additional thoughts....
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 04:06 PM   #7
Brenda

My favorite part of the Crystal Singer series is the time spent on Optheria - when Killa is acting relatively normal.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2008, 03:57 AM   #8
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I tend to agree with you. I didn't have the urge to slap Killa then, only the hidebound Optherians.
Old Oct 13 2008, 03:36 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I agree too, Killa is one who can be loved and hated. But if we take her out of the equasiob I like Rimbol best

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2008, 07:47 AM   #10
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I've always liked Killa, and was quite shocked the first time I found people who didn't like her.

But for a favourite singer other than Killa I would have to go for Lanzecki ah, what can I say about why? I guess I like the way he was originally portrayed as mysterious and powerful. But I was saddened at his end as well.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2008, 01:13 PM   #11
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Oddly enough, one of the things that makes me really annoyed with Killa is the way she just forgets about Lanzecki. I suppose he would be my favourite singer.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16 2008, 12:11 AM   #12
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Yeah, it is rather surprising, since her memory hadn't deteriorated yet by that point. Still, I suppose she felt a bit used by him (I certainly would have in her situation) and finally finding her true love in Lars must have contributed. Especially given the way they were separated by mistake, I totally understand that she didn't have any more time for Lanzecki. I didn't like the way Lars manipulated her at times, but at least on Optheria they had a relationship where she was the dominant party for part of the time (an alpha female isn't alpha unless she's on top - just an intolerable witch, I despise the "taming of the shrew" plots with Killa and Lars and to some point Lanzecki, The Rowan and Jeff not to mention Lessa and F'lar) unlike Lanzecki who only used her to avoid going to the ranges himself - or so it felt to me. I don't blame her for dumping him, but I do felt her histrionics before going to Optheria were for someone totally not worth it!
Old Oct 16 2008, 10:32 AM   #13
draconichybrid
Ssli

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Yeah, it is rather surprising, since her memory hadn't deteriorated yet by that point. Still, I suppose she felt a bit used by him (I certainly would have in her situation) and finally finding her true love in Lars must have contributed. Especially given the way they were separated by mistake, I totally understand that she didn't have any more time for Lanzecki. I didn't like the way Lars manipulated her at times, but at least on Optheria they had a relationship where she was the dominant party for part of the time...
Killa manipulated Lars plenty of times, and not just on Optheria.

Quote:
(an alpha female isn't alpha unless she's on top - just an intolerable witch...
I strongly disagree here.

Classic "No True Scotsman" fallacy: You're profiling an alpha female as a dominatrix, period -- if a woman isn't a dominatirx, then she can't possibly be an alpha. There are three possibilities, not one -- refusing to acknowledge the other two isn't going to make them go away.
-->If the woman is stronger than the man, the woman can either hold herself back or take refuge in petty tyranny.
-->If the man is stronger than the woman, the man can either hold himself back or take refuge in petty tyranny.
-->If both people are the relatively the same strength, both of them can grow and act as strong as they are.

In the third case, if one of the pair is an alpha, the other simply has to be an alpha too.

Quote:
I despise the "taming of the shrew" plots with Killa and Lars and to some point Lanzecki, The Rowan and Jeff not to mention Lessa and F'lar)
"Taming of the shrew"?
Allusions to Katherina/Bianca are rather unfair for all of those groupings (with the possible exception of Killa / Lanzecki, since she did subordinate herself to a large degree... although she still took the initiative with Lanzeki and forced him to do a few things he for himself he wouldn't have otherwise, a la F'lar and Mnementh/Lessa) don't follow the Shakespearian plot.

Do any of the women here abandon "shrewishness" towards those around them? Or do they merely balance "shrew" with a little "lady of the manor"?

Shrewishness can be rather effective -- but it's not always effective or even advisable.

Quote:
unlike Lanzecki who only used her to avoid going to the ranges himself - or so it felt to me. I don't blame her for dumping him, but I do felt her histrionics before going to Optheria were for someone totally not worth it!
Actually, Killa used him quite a bit too. Sexual therapy, privileged information that gave her an unfair advantage looking for that Black Crystal, she even got him to suspend the "normal" procedures and let her go Crystal Hunting weeks ahead of SOP.

Admit it, Killa was literally chomping at the bit at that point. Killa's got no patience to speak of, sitting around is one of the best ways to drive her insane, her whole attitude is caustic enough to melt through steel plating....

Last edited by draconichybrid; Oct 16 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old Oct 16 2008, 01:06 PM   #14
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Oh, I readily admit your last sentence. But it's not a quality I find at all admirable, in either men or women.
Old Oct 17 2008, 02:04 PM   #15
draconichybrid
Ssli

Quote:
Oh, I readily admit your last sentence. But it's not a quality I find at all admirable, in either men or women.
I wouldn't expect you to do so.

I tend to prefer doing the opposite of what other people expect. You know, the whole 'Passion for disrupting the status quo' thing.
Intellectually, I'm more likely to side with an anarchist or quasi-anarchistic position than not even though I am not an anarchist in the 'government is evil, so lets consign it to Hell' sense.

It stands to reason that you wouldn't like the personalities I like best -- you strike me as someone who prefers stability, so we have the whole 'oil and water' dynamic going on some level. *shrug*
Old Oct 17 2008, 02:34 PM   #16
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Oh yes, I guess I see what you mean.

I'm not hidebound, and I can be an instigator of change when it's needed. However, I take some convincing, and I've never been able to see the point of change for its own sake.

Rather more to the point, I find public displays of emotion unseemly, particularly negative emotions, and Killa reveled in those.
Old Oct 20 2008, 10:35 AM   #17
draconichybrid
Ssli

Quote:
I'm not hidebound, and I can be an instigator of change when it's needed. However, I take some convincing, and I've never been able to see the point of change for its own sake.
I didn't mean to suggest you were, granath.

Quote:
Rather more to the point, I find public displays of emotion unseemly, particularly negative emotions, and Killa reveled in those.
Ah. I have no problems with public displays of emotion -- it figures that we'd disagree on this one.
I tend to use powerful emotions (such as: anger, fear, love, ...) as an energy source -- an extra battery, if you will.
Old Oct 25 2008, 03:30 AM   #18
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Oh yes, me too. But only in private.
Old Feb 23 2009, 09:45 PM   #19
Jandolyn
Threadbait

Fan of: The Crystal Singer Series
Now Reading: The Skies of Pern

Wow, I am shocked to find so much that I agree with that is negative about Killa! Who would have thought? She is definitely lovable in her strong personality. However, she is detestable to Lars in Crystal Line.

Next to Killashandra, Rimbol was my favorite CS and I was always sad that we didn't get to see more of him.
Jandolyn is offline   Reply With Quote