A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern > Science of Pern

Science of Pern This forum is for Edith's Science of Pern project. Please keep each post to one subject, and stay on topic; off topic posts may be moved or deleted. Guests may post in this forum (subject to change).

Old Jun 18 2008, 04:07 AM   #1
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Possibilities of draconic space research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
And while it is a very common element on earth and therefore likely is pretty common on Pern as well, it's still not something lying all over the surface, all nice and easy to find. It's primarly found in the minerals rutile and ilmenite, which are found in rocks forming well below the surface. .
The article mentioned that those were often found near substantial diamond deposits which we know Pern has plenty of, so perhaps there is an easily accessible source for the raw ore after all?

As far as the specific sticking points go, in the far-flung future I can see another potential career for dragonriders: space-based research chemists on one of Pern's moons! You can potentially get your high-tech set up out there without polluting the planet, and it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive like it would be on Earth thanks to the zero-cost transportation of material out of the gravity well by dragons.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2008, 08:34 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Titanium on Pern

Mind you building airlocks big enough for laden dragons would be a good engineering trick.

How do you get the door to close, and the chamber to air-up, quickly enough that the dragon doesn't run out of air. Conversely how do you get the door to close gently enough not to damage any protruding bits of dragon.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Mind you building airlocks big enough for laden dragons would be a good engineering trick.

How do you get the door to close, and the chamber to air-up, quickly enough that the dragon doesn't run out of air. Conversely how do you get the door to close gently enough not to damage any protruding bits of dragon.
No need - look at how long dragons can hold their breath for! Also, with good enough coordinates and a well-sealed large warehouse, they won't need locks at all.
Old Jun 19 2008, 08:38 AM   #4
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I thought they were limited to around fifteen minutes?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Jun 19 2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Yeah, but why would the dragons need to hang around in vacuum all that long? [*Considers asking Cheryl/Hans to split this into a separate topic of 'Dragons! In! Spaaaaaaace!'*] You could use suited humans for assembly of an airtight workspace/delivery area, and restrict the dragons to quick 'outside' deliveries and working within oxygenated volumes.
Old Jun 19 2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Are you done considering, Kath?

And, P'ter, why would a draogon need a door? A dragon can teleport anywhere that's big enough to hold his/her body, right?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Oh, go on then! It's really drifted topic, hasn't it!
Old Oct 5 2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Weyrbrat
Shipfish

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Misc
Default Re: Possibilities of draconic space research

iv been wondering, im fairly inept when it comes to space science but iv read articles about people at high altitudes, if theres a cut in their suit, their skin inflating and the like in the vacuum. wouldnt this happen to the dragons out in space if the air in their lungs expanded? or am i completely of course here?
Weyrbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17 2008, 05:02 AM   #9
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Humans and other Earth based creatures are definitely susceptible to pressure changes. The dragons though have been written with a different biological makeup. In theory this could mean they are more likely to die of asphyxiation than to become a rather large piece of popped corn. Secondary point, its was hinted in ATWoP that the dragons have been exercising telekenesis in a rather subconscious level, getting themselves airborne despite the fact that they had mass far in excess of their own body mass. So using the Loony tunes, and a touch of Doug Adams logic, if the dragons didn't know they were supposed to pop in extreme low pressures, they wouldn't, because they held their cells together by sheer belief.

Now about those moon bases. Dragons bring material and smiths out to moon, drop cargo and personnel then go back for air, with their riders. second wave of riders, and relief personnel come out as time limit for air is being reached. I think the building of a pressure tight Dome, and filling it would end up being done on Pern. I can't see the pernese being too proficient at forming and sealing a construct like that in space if they can just have the dragons take the finished product up in one hop.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17 2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Weyrbrat
Shipfish

But with the pressure thing, how strong is pressure? I've seen videos of steel fuel tankers folding up if theres a vacuum inside them, so how do spacesuits and spaceships work with a giant vacuum outside?
Old Nov 18 2008, 09:56 AM   #11
GHarris

Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrbrat View Post
But with the pressure thing, how strong is pressure? I've seen videos of steel fuel tankers folding up if theres a vacuum inside them, so how do spacesuits and spaceships work with a giant vacuum outside?

Spacesuits are normally at .25 - .20 atmospheric pressure with pure O2 for breathing.

I'm not sure about the spaceships, they are probably at a reduced atmosphere, but not quite as much.

But we know the dragons can handle a certain amount of time in space as they did so in AtWoP. I wouldn't think that space would be that much worse than Between.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2008, 01:27 PM   #12
Weyrbrat
Shipfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
Spacesuits are normally at .25 - .20 atmospheric pressure with pure O2 for breathing.
This is probably a really incredibly stupid question, but don't people use oxygen to get high? I would've thought NASA would want to avoid a lightly stoned astronaut
Old Nov 18 2008, 05:09 PM   #13
T'mynn
Dragon Rider-Yaaahhooo!

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern

I don't think they get high, probably, but NASA doesn't tell anyone.;-) . I do know that before and after a space walk they have take about 1-2 hours acclimate to the atmosphere used in the suit. Weather that's the pressure and or actual content, I have to look that up. Add the two hours per entry/exit to his/her 6-8 hour space walk, that's a wickedly long day.

On Pern, rhe humans who'd be working on affixing a finished dome would have to do the pressurization step before and after their space walks. I don't think they'd have the dragons in space suits they'd hate being closed in a suit with their wings being hampered. They'd have to religaited to between trips up and back transporting.

Now what is the maximum distance one can 'go between'? Has someone made it to one of the moons? I do know they'd made it to one of the ships in orbit. (Note to self: buy the book and read HOW they did that one.)
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2008, 06:30 PM   #14
Brenda

I thought they include nitrogen in the mix to prevent explosions?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2008, 07:40 PM   #15
T'mynn
Dragon Rider-Yaaahhooo!

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern

I think they do but accidents can happen.
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19 2008, 08:15 AM   #16
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'mynn View Post
Now what is the maximum distance one can 'go between'? Has someone made it to one of the moons? I do know they'd made it to one of the ships in orbit. (Note to self: buy the book and read HOW they did that one.)
Well, they made it to the Red Star, which is certainly MUCH farther than their moons. I think as long as both dragon and rider have sufficient oxygen to last them through the wait, it's potentially unlimited. I don't know if there would be any physical strain from the mere act of making a huge leap though.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19 2008, 10:41 AM   #17
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrbrat View Post
This is probably a really incredibly stupid question, but don't people use oxygen to get high? I would've thought NASA would want to avoid a lightly stoned astronaut

On earth, O2 is ~20% of the atmosphere (at 1 atmospheric pressure).

Is a space suit, the atmosphere is at .20 atmospheric pressures, but 100% 02.

So if you do the math, you find that an astronaut is only getting the normal 02 that they get on earth.

Also, it is doubtful that they would use Nitrogen in the space suit, as that could cause problems similar to what divers suffer when they surface too quickly. And this is probably the reason why it take them 2 hours to depressurize before going outside of the spaceship (because the spaceship probably does have nitrogen in the atmosphere).

It would be possible to use an inert gas, such as Helium, mixed with the O2 that the astronauts breathe, but if you lower the concentration of O2 too much, then the astronauts would black out from lack of O2.

I think there are two reasons why the suits are designed to operate at about .20-.25 atmospheres.
1. Any more, and they would look like the Stay-Puff marshmallow man (or the Michelin man), and they would not be able to move their arms and legs.
2. Any lower, and they would not be able to get enough O2 to keep from passing out.

GH
Old Nov 19 2008, 10:43 AM   #18
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Well, they made it to the Red Star, which is certainly MUCH farther than their moons. I think as long as both dragon and rider have sufficient oxygen to last them through the wait, it's potentially unlimited. I don't know if there would be any physical strain from the mere act of making a huge leap though.
See Lessa's Ride for the physical and mental strain of staying Between for too long.

I think in one of the forums, someone posted a logarithmic formula for the amount of time you stay between for the distance travelled.

GH
Old Nov 19 2008, 03:00 PM   #19
Brenda

Well, that was supposed to be primarily from oxygen deprivation, which the suits were supposed to have prevented, and possibly from timing it so far. There was some disorientation after the jumps to the Red Star, but those were all from dragons/riders who DID NOT KNOW they had timed it - and their reaction was nowhere near Lessa's in DF, who had not traveled back anywhere near as far as they did.
Old Nov 19 2008, 08:12 PM   #20
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

What she said
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20 2008, 09:55 AM   #21
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Well, that was supposed to be primarily from oxygen deprivation, which the suits were supposed to have prevented, and possibly from timing it so far. There was some disorientation after the jumps to the Red Star, but those were all from dragons/riders who DID NOT KNOW they had timed it - and their reaction was nowhere near Lessa's in DF, who had not traveled back anywhere near as far as they did.
Given the intracacies of BETWEEN, I'm not sure we could say that a spacesuit would help with O2 deprivation. (I'm also not saying that it definitively would not help with O2 deprivation.)

But Between is a weird place that doesn't even follow the rules of a space-like vacuum.

GH
Old Nov 20 2008, 05:34 PM   #22
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

But ... if it is dimensionally nul, there wouldn't be any space for space.

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 20 2008, 08:58 PM   #23
Brenda

But as I pointed out, there was more of an effect with Lessa timing it 400 Turns without a suit, than with anyone going to the Red Star - timing it thousands of Turns or not.
Old Nov 29 2008, 06:15 PM   #24
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
And, P'ter, why would a draogon need a door? A dragon can teleport anywhere that's big enough to hold his/her body, right?
And why would they need to hold their breath? Give them some oxygen cylinders to chew on instead of firestone.
Old Nov 29 2008, 06:17 PM   #25
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Er, why does my post say "Titanium on Pern" whereas everyone else's says "Possibilities of draconic space research"? I've been teleported into a different thread. I'm disorientated...
Old Nov 29 2008, 07:05 PM   #26
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

And you being our resident astronomer. Poor StevenB.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2008, 01:48 PM   #27
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

It's ok Jube. I seem to have returned to the normal thread now.

P.S. Don't forget Kath. She's a resident astronomer as well; and more up to date than me, since I stopped doing research and moved to the engineering side of the force.
Old Dec 2 2008, 04:57 PM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

Aha, he admits it... he's part of the force
Well, I'm glad he's with us

Uhm... the mentioning of Titanium will be my fault likely, the post with that text is obviously cut and pasted from the thread with that name in this subforum. Although I can't remember doing it, so maybe some other staff member did. Seems alright though.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 11:01 AM   #29
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
And why would they need to hold their breath? Give them some oxygen cylinders to chew on instead of firestone.
And then watch them go splodey-boom when they accidently combine a little firestone with oxygen tanks.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 05:00 PM   #30
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Wouldn't need firestone: a little oil or grease would do it!

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 23 2008, 12:49 AM   #31
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
That what All the Wyers of Pern says,

Between 12-15 minutes of useable time, with a very long time to get their breath back after that, LOL.

They could use the Yoko as a base of operations?

As for timing it, some of the dragon/rider pairs were younger ones who have never been off Pern. Or done much timing for it hard on both dragon and rider. For with out good time ablity you would want to try timing with out an OK.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote