A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Doona and Dinosaur Planet/Planet Pirates

Old May 17 2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader
Default Lunzie and Fiona

I finished reading the Planet Pirates (omnibus) some time ago. At the time I was reading it I didn't think it was weird/wrong, but thinking back I just feel that it didn't make sense that Lunzie would leave her daughter at that point in time when she did. I haven't got the book with me at the moment, but I think Fiona was 14 when Lunzie left. Lunzie was supposed to be gone for a couple of years, but ends up being lost for a long time and then she is sad because she missed seeing Fiona growing up. What annoys me, is that Fiona would have been old enough to go away for college and move away from home anyway at the time when Lunzie would have been back from the money earning thing she was going away for. Of course, they would have stayed in touch and such, but she would still have not been there for an important character building period of Fionas life.
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts
Default Re: Lunzie and Fiona

I think Lunzie might nat have left if she really needed the money right at that time, and not later on. Maybe if she hadn't gone, Fiona wouldn't have been able to go to college at all. Not sure I'm making snese...

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

It was an odd time, but I would agree with Tresa that the money was needed. Lunzie also had a very specialized career, one for which there wouldn't be tons of opportunity and most of those would require going somewhere that she wouldn't want to bring her daughter. And if she waited several years working jobs out of her specialty, she might just lose the career opportunity altogether.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2006, 06:40 PM   #4
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader

I guess you're right. As I said, it made sense to me as I was reading it, and of course Lunzie had to leave or there wouldn't have been a story.

Hmm, I haven't really thought about that Anne likes her "heroines" to run off and and then end up having adventures (Menolly, Killa, Lunzie). Hmm, okay so not all of her heroines; I guess Lessa was more the stay put and fight type.
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Lessa ran off from Ruatha, though, for a chance at becoming Weyrwoman, which is similar to Lunzie going off for a job opportunity. Menolly and Killa were more the run-away type of funning off.

What other heriones ran off/away?

Not Rowan or Damia, they followed a typical career path for T1s. There's Kris from Freedom, but it wasn't her choice to leave Earth...
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2006, 07:32 PM   #6
Lily

Acorna left her home planet at a time of great upheaval and ? unsafetyness ? goodness surely there's a better word than that!!!!
Old May 18 2006, 02:45 AM   #7
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Yes, Acorna did, but it wasn't entirely her choice.

The first Peter Reidinger used his Talent to help him escape some pretty grievous circumstances, and ended up having some pretty amazing adventures. He's not a heroine, though. Come to that, neither is Afra, who managed to get an invitation to the Rowan's Tower, to escape from Methody Capella. So it's not an exclusively female thing.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2006, 05:59 AM   #8
Thom
Inactive

Fan of: All of them
Now Reading: Throne of Jade

Lunzie was leaving because she had to get the money - there was no real opening on the Colony (Tau Ceti if I recall correctly) - it was a case of take the Descartes Mining Platform job, or go with Fiona and hope that something better would come along... at least leaving Fiona on Tau Ceti she knew she'd be cared for and would be safe (which was more than she would be)

Remember as well she was hoping to get enough to pay her O2 money and join the Colony - so Fiona would simply be staying at home while Mum went off to work.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2006, 03:58 PM   #9
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

As you said, there isn't much cause to practice Space Psychology (as close as I can remember to Lunzie's career choice) dirtside!!

I think that Lunzie must have made reperation with whomever she left in charge of Fiona in case she didn't come back. Despite the fact that spacetravel/life seems generally much safer then than it does now, Lunzie would have known that accidents can and do happen (that is part of her speicalisation, after all) and must have made plans to cover that eventuality. I don't think that she would have been a good mother without it, and as we can see, Lunzie cares a great deal about her family. Although saying that, she does have a handy case of "oh, an accident where I've been frozen again - ah well, must carry on regardless".
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11 2006, 02:38 AM   #10
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget2
...., she does have a handy case of "oh, an accident where I've been frozen again - ah well, must carry on regardless".
Having just read the part in Death of Sleep where Lunzie is 'frozen' for the first time I think that part of her reaction to being in cold sleep had to do with a couple of things, first her medical background helped as she had access to all the data on cold sleep and secondly she had just had the session with the other miner who had been in cold sleep for 10 years. It was fresh in her mind and so she tried to put things in perspective using his experiences and her medical knowledge. I guess I'm saying that she had the tools to handle the experience and did so very well. Now her subsequent sleeps, those seem to be a bit harder to understand how she took them so well, but I think I can see how she could handle them. Her family was gone, basically Fiona was older now and by the time she had to sleep again possibly had died. (been a while since reading so details are sketchy, sorry) She also had a shorter sleep time, which could be easier on her after sleeping once, kinda like a little cat nap after 63 years the first time. She knew what she needed to do and did it. The same with the others, she had knowledge and used it to her advantage, to help her get thru the awakenings. She also was an Adept which helped hugely! She had to go to that temple (?) place for a while so they helped her there too. So a good support system, one not available to the normal person, along with her knowledge which also wasn't availalbe to the normal person.
Lunzie is my favorite character, mainly because she does endure some very hard times (in some ways the tuffest times of all Anne's characters, to me) and keeps hold of her sanity and also grows as an individual, beyond her wildest expectations.
(I sure hope this makes sense, I was headed to bed when I stopped at this thread) sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'll be sorry too when I read over this tomorrow!
Old Jul 23 2006, 04:42 PM   #11
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

One thing I noticed was that when Lunzie went back for more adept training she appears (despite all her cold sleep) to have the SAME Master Adept.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25 2006, 12:01 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

P'ter, I just read that in Generation Warriors today! She is even surprised that he is still the same after her 46 years of sleep on Ireta. Maybe he can slow down his heart rate and things like that so he ages, but slower?
I enjoyed the part with Lunzie getting back into shape and coming to terms with her sleeps and her life.
I've thought throughout the books that her sleeps were somehow planned. What with Tor finding her after her first coldsleep and Tor being on the ARCT-10. Lunzie even wondered, after Tor found her the first time, if he knew she was there and waited to find her.
What do you think?
Old Dec 3 2006, 08:18 PM   #13
Menderofillusions

Fan of: Freedom's, Doona, Petaybe
Now Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

Thek KKKKKKKKKKKNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWSSSS!
Menderofillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2008, 11:38 PM   #14
Cynth
Rocksquat

Fan of: Planet Pirates
Now Reading: Alternative Care For Ruminants - Dr. Dettloff

Lunzie is my absolute favorite character of all Anne's writings. Lunzie is so strong and manages to carry on and fit in the current time even when all of the people she knew in the past are gone. I think that is amazing... to be alone and still be able to be your own person no matter where or when you, would take an incredible amount of self confidence and self-esteem.
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2008, 02:08 AM   #15
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

I think Anne gets too much into the fostering roles of her parent characters. Rowan grows up with fostered parents, Lessa grew up with no parents, Rowan and Lessa both foster out their kids to leave room for them to work..... That Lunzie has strong family ties, but shrugs off being with family for the job opportunities. Acceptable to Anne.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2008, 02:51 AM   #16
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Question Re: Lunzie and Fiona

A bit a idea with a question on the end. Geting .
Here is a bit of idea with Tor and Lunzie meeting each other as it related to the second meeting.

He is one of younger Thek on the EEC ARCT-10, he is a friend of Kai Family ahd has been on the ship when it was launched. I don't recall how old the EEC ship is.

Could he have meet her before/during construction of the EEC ARCT-10?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote