A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Mar 11 2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land
Default Dragonsinger..Atheneum edition..looks brand new!

Hello all.....I just recieved in the mail a first edition, alas, 10th printing copy of Dragonsinger......published by Atheneum......It looks exactly the same as the 1st / 1st as for style, etc. It does not state the year this printing came out but I was amazed as it looks like a brand new book! It must have been exceptionally well protected! I could barely believe it when I opened the package as I had gotten it on ebay at a very low price. If anyone (Hans?) has any ideas on when the 10th printing may have been issued please let me know........
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11 2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Dragonsinger..Atheneum edition..looks brand new!

Saucious, you're sure it's an 'pure' Atheneum book, right? It says so on the spine of the dustjacket.

I have an Atheneum Sixth Printing and for that issue it says on the title page: "Dragonsinger / by Anne McCaffrey / Atheneum . 1981 . New York" with the picture of the harp under that. I can't tell you the exact year the 10th printing was issued but I can give you the printing history up to the sixth, as that is mentioned in my sixth

First printing February 1977 (as you'll know the Junior Literary Boom Club issued their edition in September of that year)
Second printing October 1977
Third printing May 1978
Fourth printing November 1978
Fifth printing October 1979
Sixth printing November 1981

SO, with the rate of two per year dwindling down to one per year... I guess the tenth printing will have taken place around 1985?

It is rather peculiar that they obviously stopped including the print history if your copy is a 10th, providing yours is an Atheneum edition.

For the curious among you: here's the difference on the dustjacket spine:

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11 2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'd take 1985 as the earliest likely printing year, with printing runs possibly have slowed down further.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11 2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Deanne
Softshell

OK.....I have taken some pictures of the book but have not been able to figure out how to post them here.....I do know how to email them so if anyone wants to give me thier email address I'll be glad to forward the pics.........
Old Mar 11 2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

If you want to mail them to me, Saucious, mail to: hans_at_pern.nl (change _at_ into @ of course )

Apart from that, most of us here use a photobucket account, it's free and they provide ready-to-use links, among which an IMG link you cn just cut and paste into any forum board. Vey handy!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 11 2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Brenda

Do you have a picture of the front cover? That looks like the edition I got from the library the very first time I read Dragonsinger!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11 2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Brenda? I gather you were asking me?

To the left is the Atheneum edition and to the right the Guild Book. The difference is obvious on the spine but very subtle on the front, and that's assuming this is not a one off but that it is always the case that Guild Book edtion has slightly more white space under the authro's name

Old Mar 11 2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Duh... just noticed I'm constantly reading and writing your nickname wrong, Sauchious, sorry

Old Mar 11 2007, 11:20 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Sauchious, Congratulations on winning your lastest book... with it being in all but new condition...it sounds like it might make a nice addition to your collection.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12 2007, 04:18 AM   #10
Deanne
Softshell

Hans.....I just emailed the pics to you and hope you will be able to see the details. The copyright page states when the book was originally copyrighted but as I said not when this edition was printed and yes, it does say Atheneum on the spine of the jacket. I had just never see one of these so new looking before! Bright, white, spotless! I paid less than $10.00 for it so no matter what I feel it was a very lucky buy!
Old Mar 12 2007, 04:21 AM   #11
Deanne
Softshell

Oh yes, and Hans don't fret about the name......it is a rather difficult one anyway and it would probably be easier to just change it if that's allowed! And thank you Maelin.........
Old Mar 12 2007, 08:53 AM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

You can change your name, the only catch is that Hans or I has to do it for you, members can't make the change themselves. Just send a PM to either one of us, and we can get it done!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12 2007, 04:29 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

OK, I got the pictures from Sauchious and although they, and the comparison with material I have at my disposal, did not shed more light to the question of what year the 10th printing was published it's interesting enough to talk a little more about the book...

Sauchious wrote that, despite the condition of the book and dustjacket being better than fine someone did a bad job of folding the dustjacket so that the whole thing is too much to the left, most noticeably on the spine of course; see the first two pictures:

On the next pic of the title page nothing is written between the words Atheneum and New York; earlier I wrote that for my sixth printing (and I assume for other printings) there's a year printed here. A pity that they didn't keep that up, that would have answered the question.

On to the copyright page. The first pic is as Sauchious photographed the tenth printing, below that is the copyright page of the sixt printing and below that teh same page of a true first edition.

What can be noticed immediately is that, probably starting with the tenth printing, Atheneum started with the well known number line while before that they used a (much more informative) list.
Also to be discerned is that the copyright message and publisher's data is different and that designer Mary M. Ahern no longer gets a credit line. Curious, that.

Last but not least is the difference on the back of the dustjacket. Probably again to conform themselve to newer ways, the tenth printing has a bar code and the ISBN (in earlier printings only to be found on the copyright page) on the back of the dustjacket.

Technically all the editions up and including to the sixth (and probably the ninth) are first editions, even if they are later printings. I am very curious if the tenth printing is also a "first edition" or if the book was newly typeset or changed/corrected in any way. The only people who can anser that are Anne, her agent and maybe some peeps at Atheneum; but forgive me, I'm not going to mail Anne about this one. She probably wouldn't know anyway. We could do a page by page comparison but I think that's taking things a bit too far

So, our best shot at solving this might be to mail Atheneum, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. Hmm, could the bar code furnish any information? I don't know anything about bar codes.

Old Mar 16 2007, 01:38 PM   #14
Brenda

Thanks for the pics Hans! I think that is the same edition I first read at the library!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2007, 06:54 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Wouldn't this still be considered a first editon...even though it's a 10printing??? The book looks just the same except the bar code on the back !!! Perhaps the artist isn't credited because her contract ran out after so many printings? This book has brought a lovely little mystery to MoM. It has me checking my own copies for the differences. Funny I never notices the odd looking firelizard on the back of the Dragonson copy. Learn something new every day...even at my age...LOL

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote