A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Dec 12 2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings
Default Audio books read by Anne McCaffrey?

I'm looking for any Pern audio books read by Anne (preferably unabridged), but I can't seem to find much on google... since Anne is the author too, naturally that skews the search results I know that she's done at least one, because I remember someone posting a clip of her reading from All the Weyrs of Pern when her voice breaks as Robinton dies. Are there any others?
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12 2006, 12:32 PM   #2
~(_'>

Default Re: Audio books read by Anne McCaffrey?

The White Dragon. Abridged.

Nerilka's Story.

All The Wyers of Pern. Abridged.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12 2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I have a more or less complete spreadsheet of cassettes (no CDroms); if interested please email me.

There's only two audio books read by Anne (as far as I know) and both are abridged: All the Weyrs of Pern and Nerika's Story.
That been said there is also the vinyl LP of the White Dragon of course, also abridged.

It was me who posted the clip (Robinton's death) from AtWoP; it's still in the Collecting Highlight Archives, Spiff

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12 2006, 05:56 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

That reading is one of the most touching I have ever heard...I can't play it without having tears...no matter how many times over the years I have listened to it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2006, 03:57 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Me too, Maelin, me too. And it's a safe guess saying we aren't the only ones.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 13 2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, it seems as if the AtwoP tape doesn't come so cheaply anymore, the lowest I can find is $69 As much as I'd love to have a tape of Anne's reading, there is NO way I'd pay that much for only two cassette tapes At least the other two are still at reasonable prices.
Old Dec 13 2006, 12:33 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmm, you hardly ever see the Nerilka tape and I'd like a second copy very much (so if you can tip me...)

Spiff, search for the atwop tape outside ebay, on abe or amazon; you should be abe to find it for around 15 dollars. The last I bought was only 12,50.

Old Dec 13 2006, 01:45 PM   #8
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Actually I couldn't find anything on ebay or Abe books, Amazon is where it was $69.

As for the Nerilka tape, I found one on amazon, but I'm not sure whether it was the right one, it didn't say who was the reader.
Old Dec 13 2006, 02:57 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Yeah, I saw the Amazon one. It's too expensive. I'll keep on the lookout for you.

The Nerilka tape should be the Random House one, that says (at the bottom) read by the author and have this cover:

Hope this helps!

Old Dec 15 2006, 11:15 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, nice photo and information about this book tape. I need to go and pick one of these up for my own collection some time too, but not at those outragous prices.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote