A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Mar 25 2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (14) - Anne McCaffrey in the Thai language

I suppose the (pirated) Thai editions of Anne's books are only collectible for the die hard fan/collector. At least I think the first of the two books I will present here is a pirated edition. It sure looks like it. This little booklet is printed on a poor quality paper and measures only 23 x 15,5 centimeters (9.05 x 6.10 inches), is not listed by Matthew Hargreaves (Anne Inez McCaffrey, Forty Years of Publishing) but does have a copyright message on the title page If it really is a pirated edition that seems a rather silly thing to do

I suspect there must be (have been) more (pirated) editions in the Thai language as this volume has the title "Kon Kumangkon" which means Dragondrums, which happens to be the sixth Pern book and the last volume of the Harper Hall trilogy. It was printed in May 2531 that's May 1988 to us "westerners". It has part of the cover art by Steve Weston for the UK Corgi paperback edition of Dragondrums that was published in 1981.
The Thai edition is translated by somebody calling himself "Kangsa" and the original price was 42 Baht. A pittance and simultaneously maybe the best indication of it being a pirated edition since 1 Baht is about 2 euro/dollarcents. So this book would have cost you the royal sum of about 85 euro/dollarcents

I've searched and searched the internet but never, ever came across a pirated Anne McCaffrey book in Thai. The only copy I was able to behold (maybe you already guessed since this happened to me before) was ín Ireland, at Anne's house, which is also where I shot this picture of the cover.
If any of you (or whomever reads this) has knowledge of other editions than this one: please email me!)

I have no idea what the book is worth but I assuredly would pay many times its original price to get it in my possession!

While checking the internet again, shortly before submitting this Collecting Highlight (to check whether a copy wasn't suddenly offered somewhere on the net) I came across an official Pern edition of Dragonflight on a Thai online shop that also sells books! What's even better: the book seems to have original cover art! Sorry for the quality of the picture but it's the only one available.
Prices have gone up over the years as this Dragonflight costs 199 Baht originally It has ISBN 974-9741-13-7 and has been published in 2547 (2004). I think I'll order a few of them

With special thanks to my Thai friend Sunee Torsy-Tha in for translating (the data on) the original title page of the 1988 edition.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (14) - Anne McCaffrey in the Thai language

This was a great find Hans, I hope that you really enjoy having it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2006, 01:39 AM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Neat to see Hans! So just how much time do you spend searching for all these foreign printings? 'Course your family probably always knows where to find you.
Old Apr 11 2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Slumped over his computer, snoring away Becky, with his fingers all stiff from typing all day and through the night, and his eyes are all blood shot, and puffy from to much computer screen light.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Apr 11 2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Ha! I'ordered a couple of those Thai Dragonflights. Now see (and wait patiently) to see if the relative/friend of my Thai friend who lives in The Netherlands can obtain them for me...

Uhm... Becky, me my wife and son spend a lot of time together! In the dedicated computerroom

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 22 2006, 08:59 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Addition to this CH, also posted in a separate thread in Book Collector's Meeting Room

Not so long ago I wrote a Collecting Highlight about Anne's publications in the Thai language. There used to be only illegal publications of her work, like once were also available in China and many of the countries behind the erstwhile Iron Curtain, like Poland, Russia etc.

A Thai friend of mine and her Dutch husband recently visited Thailand and I asked them to bring back with them the first legal Thai translation of Dragonflight, which I found on the internet (and which I also showed a thumbnail of in the beforementioned Collecting Highlight).

Surprisingly it wasn't easy and they visited several bookshops before they finally found one in whose computers the book did turn up. It had to be ordered though and only arrived in the nick of time (the day before they were scheduled to leave). We now have the ISBN number and a shop where they can be ordered, which seems to be more important than in our western countries. Through a relative of my Thai friend I will order more copies.

However, this new and legal Dragonflight translation had a few surprised up its cover... On the back it seems to be indicated that the other two DRoP trilogy titles (Dragonquest and The White Dragon) have also been translated. That surely bears further investigation! And while leafing through the book I discovered that it has more than a handful of drawings that, as far as I know, are unique to this book!

So, without further ado (and thanks to Sunnee and Edward!) I can now present what must be the first good pictures of the Thai Dragonflight

The cover, which is also unique to this book and despite the scantily and rather silly dressed Lessa the artist must have read the book because he did try to depict the many couloured facets of the dragon's eyes..

Another indication that at least the two other volumes are, or will be, published is the big 1 on the spine

This must be Kylara...

Dragons must fly when Threads are in the sky!

A just hatched Ramoth?

As far as I am concerned a very good rendition of F'lar on Mnement nearing High Reaches Hold
(edit: on second thought this drawing seems out of place and looks like F'nor and Canth approaching Telgar Smithcrafthall with its waterfalls and waterwheel...)

Old Jul 23 2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

This is a very wonderful thread, and post for anyone who is interested in collecting any and all of the foreign editions.

The extra pencil drawing in this edition, makes it a very wonderful collectors copy. I also think it might be F'nor going into the smith hall, except it looks like there is someone riding behind him, and in the story he was alone, carring a pot for Manora right ???? It is a very nice drawing though what ever it is about.