A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Feb 3 2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Gold Collecting Highlight (11) - Comic Adaptation of "The Smallest Dragonboy"

"The Smallest Dragonboy" is one of Anne's most reprinted short stories. It tells the tale of Keevan, a young candidate for the latest clutch at Benden Weyr.

The most unusual printed version of this story would be the comic adaptation which appears in The Bank Street Book of Fantasy. This volume, edited by Howards Zimmerman, Semour Reit, and Barbara Brenner, contains comic adaptations of a dozen fantasy short stories. It was published in Sept 1989 by Pocket Books in New York, NY, as a paperback. The original price was $3.95 (US). The story was adapted by Terry Bisson, and the illustrations were done by Valerie Jones, Ken Hooper, and Chris Schenck. Following the adaptation is a page about Anne and her Pern series, along with a few questions about the story.

About a dozen copies of this book are currently available from online booksellers, from prices ranged from $1-25 (US).
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Cheryl; Feb 3 2006 at 02:11 PM.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (11) - Comic Adaptation of "The Smallest Dragonboy"

What a nice addition to the evergrowing list of Colelctors Items, Cheryl! Well done

(psst, the bookfinder link stops working after an hour...)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (11) - Comic Adaptation of "The Smallest Dragonboy"

I've been very tempted to pick this up in the past. Pron with buying something like this online is that you never really get to see what it's like on the inside - however, thanks to Cheryl I can now see what I am missing...

Still in two minds, but have a better idea.
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Hmm, silly Bookfinder. Let me try it a different way...

It's interesting to see, Jay, but definitely not as good as the Dragonflight comic.
Old Feb 3 2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Oh, does this bring back memories! I searched and searched for this item, but all I could find were the other ones they did, never the Fantasy one. But I did finally locate and purchase one a couple years ago. I believe that they also did a Science Fiction one and I kept finding that one, but they put Smallest Dragonboy in the Fantasy one. There is also one for Mystery too.
Old Feb 4 2006, 01:26 PM   #6
~(_'>

This is a nice little book really. I was surprized that it was in such good shape. I think I paid $4-5 for mine.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2006, 10:13 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I finally got one of these for myself, and it only cost me $1.25, and I just love it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2006, 12:48 AM   #8
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I brought one of the Dragonriders of Pern books in comic format (mental blank here), many moons ago and it was similiar to the one above but in colour. It's still hiding on my bookshelf with everything else. I'm not parting with it though.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2006, 03:36 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

The three volumes of the Dragonflight series published by Eclipse (in colour on high quality paper indeed, and in various states among which a limited signed, hardbound run) have nothing to do with this little comic that only has the Smallest Dragonboy in it, Jube.

If you have only one volume of Dragonflight, you might want to search for the other two. If you have a limited hardcover signed one... hang on to it
There also exist a trad paperback issue with the three volumes in one book.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 22 2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, that is the one that I am missing and I haven't seen it any where yet.

I have bought a second one of the Bank Street one to put color to it, they were very inexpencive , and I love them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 22 2006, 03:15 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh wow, Maelin, that would be lovely to see; a hand coloured Smallest Dragonboy by you! Do you realize that could become a fabulous collectors item? No, I am NOT kidding!

Which one do you miss? The autographed one or the trade paperback three-in-one?

Will you believe I actually bought the autographed on behalf of Cheryl in the time that I was poor enough / not collector enough to be able to keep on to it All the others I have, one of the signed limited ones was up for auction not so long ago, If I remember correctly it went for somewhere between 65 and 75 dollars

Old May 22 2006, 04:06 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, I lack the trade paper back version, I have the Signed HC version, and the origional seperate three part version. I saw the signed one on ebay last week, or so and it was around $60.00 and up. Thank fully I bought my copy a few months back when I first saw if, and it was only $50.00 with shipping.

If I finish coloring the Smallest dragon boy, it would be illeagal for me to try and sell it or auction off. It has one Anne's copy rights on it , and the Bank Street books copy right, from the original artist on it . So I guess I will have to keep it to my self..... ...... or perhaps I could gift it to someone.... .... with out breaking any laws ?????

Old May 22 2006, 06:05 PM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Will you believe I actually bought the autographed on behalf of Cheryl in the time that I was poor enough / not collector enough to be able to keep on to it
Old May 23 2006, 01:39 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin, you know, I wouldn't be sure if you couldn't sell the bank street copy. The copyright on the book has already been paid and you are just "selling your own copy" so to speak. And that is what a lot of us do.

OK, you would make more more money because you added to it but I don't see how you would be illegal by just selling an essentially legal copy
Suppose I brought it to a special shop and had it bound in leather, went to Anne and had her sign the copy and then sold it (just for the sake of argument because I would never sell it, would I? ) I would still be legally selling it, wouldn't I?

No, I don't actually think you would be in trouble. Now if you took your coloured copy to a publishing company and said: hey look, can you copy this and publish a few thousand...? Yes, that would be illegal

Old May 23 2006, 04:24 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, OH, that makes me feel a lot better, thank you for straightening it all out for me. What you said does make a lot of since, so perhaps I will have to go and finish it then. .............

Old May 23 2006, 05:02 PM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Hmmm, I have an extra copy of TBSBoF, perhaps I should send it along to you with the other books I have for you!
Old May 23 2006, 05:40 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

[QUOTE HANS] Will you believe I actually bought the autographed on behalf of Cheryl in the time that I was poor enough / not collector enough to be able to keep on to it All the others I have, one of the signed limited ones was up for auction not so long ago, If I remember correctly it went for somewhere between 65 and 75 dollars [QUOTE HANS]

Hans, this was wonderful of you to do for her. I am glad that you did become a fantastic collector of Pern books after all.

OH MY !!! what would MoM been like, if you weren't a collector of Pern Stories???

Old May 23 2006, 06:10 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, That would be fantastic if you have an extra copy that you are wanting to get let loose of. Just put it in with the rest and send it on out.

I will be happy to give them all a lovely place to live.

Old May 23 2006, 06:57 PM   #19
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Oh, I wasn't going to send it to live in CA, merely to fall into a pile of colored pencils and return to me someday all black and blue and yellow and purple and red and orange and....
Old May 23 2006, 07:04 PM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OH!!! in that case, you can send it out for a colorfull visit, and when it is nice tidied up, I will send it on home again, and someone else will have a rare little addition too. Of course now I am going to have to go and find a "NEW" "Bank Street version", of my own to color now come to think of it !!!

Old May 24 2006, 02:48 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmmm... I can see the prices of bank street eds. going up...

Old May 24 2006, 11:06 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OH you betcha Hans, though not until I get my new one I hope!!!