A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jul 28 2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight (58) - DragonCon 1999 Items

I went to my very first scifi convention, actually my one and only, in 1999. And I did it up right! It was DragonCon in Atlanta, GA!!! And best of all Anne McCaffrey was there! I had wanted to meet her for so long (and who of us fans haven't?) and hoped I'd have the chance. At this time the Dragonriders of Pern was close to being a tv show and I was so excited about it! (again, what fan wasn't?)
I went with Donna (the same friend who went with me to Anne's Hall of Fame induction) and we had such a great time! Once we got to Atlanta (an adventure in itself!) we headed to the Dealer Room first (nothing with Anne was scheduled yet) just to check out the goodies and find the Dragonriders of Pern booth.
We looked around in awe (as you can imagine) at the dealers and the folks in costume! That's what got us, all the folks who dressed up! It was mainly a Star Wars theme with lots of those characters running around. Very entertaining, let me tell you! After a little bit we decided we could spend hours looking at the booths and people, so maybe we'd better find the Dragonriders booth just to know where it was. We actually found it quickly once we started looking for it. We found the Del Rey booth first (they were actually next to each other) and I was chatting with the rep there for a bit and all of a sudden Donna started elbowing me. I couldn't believe she was being so rude! Then when I looked at her she was pointing to a little grey haired lady sitting on the other side of the partition in the Dragonriders booth. I was shocked to see Anne!!! I continued to talk to the Del Rey lady since there were people in front of us (thank goodness only two!) until we could move up to the Dragonrider booth. So that was how I first met Anne, in person. When I went up to her and said hello, she said, "Hello, Becky!" Now from the pictures you'll see my name tag shows 'COELURA'. So she remembered me from the emails we'd shared off and on. I was very surprised and pleased that she 'knew' who I was.

We then went on to the actual booth, but along the way picked up several of the postcards (of which I took one of each that Anne had signed because she wasn't to be signing anything at all at that time) and also a Dragonrider t-shirt. We also got a little excerpt booklet of Dragonflight
from the Del Rey booth. The signed postcards are not pictured with this set as they are framed with the picture of Anne that I drew. The items are pictured below.....

The two pictures above include signed book plates that were given out at one of the panels that Anne and Todd gave. Also the invitation to that panel. I also wrote a little journal of the happenings at the con. I later sent it to Anne who signed it for me. And even got my picture taken with Anne at the con! Those with good eyes will see Todd holding the dust jacket for Dragonholder. He only had the jacket as there weren't any copies of the book printed yet. I also got a White Dragon bookmark, that doesn't come thru the picture too well, but that's what it is.
Donna and I spoke for quite some time to Joanna who was helping to develop the tv show. She was so nice to chat with! I don't remember much about what we talked about, but I think we were there with her for a good 30 minutes or more.
There was also a banquet where Anne recieved an award and it was great to witness that event also.
It was a super trip, only 3 days but it was all I thought it would be! And I have these wonderful items as a memento and addition to my collection.

I put these items in the Collecting Highlights just to show what can be considered a collectible. I consider anything that has to do with Anne or her works as something to add to my collection.
Old Jul 28 2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight - (58) DragonCon 1999 Items

Wonderful highlight, Becky.
Know what you should do?

Put in a link (or ask Cheryl to) to her pictures of that DragonCon! Both of you are in those!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28 2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Becky, This is a wonderful highlight...and it is lovely getting to see some of your very, very rare treasures from that years Dragoncon.

I would love to see some more of the photos from that year at Dragoncon... I've seen some of Cheryls, and combining some from both of your photos sounds like a lovely idea....and I'm sure so would many of the members especially those that are headed there again this year.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28 2007, 09:57 PM   #4
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Very nice, Becky. Such treasures and memories.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28 2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Hans - I had considered putting the link in to Cheryl's site but just hadn't asked her if I could yet and wanted to get the highlight posted, since I'm behind by a few days.
And I forgot to mention meeting Cheryl there too!!! (sorry Cheryl!!!) We had a good time at the Weyr Fest events and panels.
Old Jul 29 2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

No problem with the linkage, here's the page with the pictures I took that year: http://pern.srellim.org/dc1999/dcon_pics.htm

I wrote summaries of some of the panels, found here: http://pern.srellim.org/dc1999/dcon99.htm

Becky and I did indeed get to meet in person at this DragonCon, and both had a great time at all the panels and events. One bit I'll always remember is that Becky saved me a seat in the very front row at one of Anne's major panels, and the seat turned out to be right in front of Anne!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

I remember those days well. I didn't know Cheryl for all that long but she represented us all there and it was wonderful to hear stories out of the first hand about the famous AOL host Coelura who had helped me so tremendously when I was secretly preparing the mastery of Sariel, Master Archivist...

How time flies...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 29 2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, I love getting to see your photos of DragonCon again...am I mistaken...but there seems to be a lot more of them up this time???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jul 29 2007, 01:01 PM   #9
sarahlin_13
Glow

Great highlight Becky. It's nice to see those "personal" things that one can collect. I mean, everyone can search and hopefully find the books and magazine articles and games etc, but only the lucky few get to collect items like this. All I can say is that I'm envious

I haven't had the good luck to be able to attend a convention yet, but my hubby has promised that once we have the money, and after he gets to go to Celebration (a big Star Wars convention), then he'll "let" me go to Dragoncon. Haha, he thinks he's funny!

Sarah
sarahlin_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Nope, it's the same set of pictures that have always been there for DC1999. there are also pictures up from a few more years on my Sariel's Guide to Pern site.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2007, 04:22 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Really...I could swear I hadn't seen some of those!!! I will have to go again...as I love to look at your photos and enjoy all the sights of that con.

Old Jul 29 2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Becky
Coelura

It was a great time and meeting Cheryl one of the highlights, for sure.
Taking pictures sure helps you remember things better. I know that my memories are a blur and when I review the pictures things come in to focus much better and I can remember details.
I think Donna and I spent more time waiting for panels (had to be in the front row!) than anything else. At the awards banquet we got there early enough to get the first open seating table next to Anne's. Which was really cool! But we did get upset by the folks who kept coming to her for autographs. And of course she'd sign stuff, and we knew she wasn't supposed to sign anything. (neither of us took any books to have her sign, the only things we got that were autographed were things that she'd already signed and took only one of each so we'd not deplete her supply. Others took two or three.) We were disappointed not to have any books signed at DragonCon but we got several signed at the SFHoF induction to make up for it.
Something that I didn't thing to grab, but Donna did, was Anne's 'name plate' from one of the panels. It was just her name printed on paper, but Donna saw it in a trash bin at the door and just picked it out. So that's a cool item to have too.
Poor Anne, she must have gotten tired of seeing our faces everywhere she went.
Old Jul 29 2007, 05:09 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Yeah, meeting Cheryl was one of my collector's highlights, too

Old Jul 29 2007, 07:07 PM   #14
Sandi

I never attended any cons but reading all this still brings back memories for me. When I was a very green newbie to the internet one of the first searches I ever ran was a search on Anne McCaffrey and the first thing I came to was Cheryl's site. It was through her site that I learned about the OKT and of course we all know where that led me!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30 2007, 10:44 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, I know what you mean...it was also the highlight of my coming to MoM, when I finally got to meet Cheryl face to face, and she came and stayed with us for a few days. Teddy still misses her...

Old Jul 31 2007, 03:07 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh Maelin, what has the world and the internet changed a lot.

I'm SO immensely glad that years back Cheryl and I were abe to discover Microsoft Netmeeting (which we used prior to MSN being "invented") and feel so lucky to be able to MSN with Cheryl, Anneli, you and a few others... by typing, speaking/listening and even with video! It has had quite an impact on my life for which I am very grateful.

Old Aug 1 2007, 12:09 AM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, Yes indeed my world has also changed a lot.... since I got my first computer...
Finding MoM with my first try at a forum on the internet.
Drawing MoM members Pern Portriats.
To my incredibly wonderful MSN chats with you, Cheryl, Anneli, Becky and of course those I have with my family...has forever changed the shape of my world....and my life beyond all my wildest imaginings.

All of this, just because I really wanted to say HELLO, to other Anne McCaffrey Fans....