A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jan 19 2008, 09:13 PM   #161
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Books you just couldn't finish!

The problem I had with Donaldson was there was not real ending in his books. Book one stoped in what I felt was the middle of the book. Not at a REAL stoping point. I like Anne's book because you read book 10 & know what is going on without having read the first 9.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE

Last edited by mawra; Oct 9 2008 at 06:20 PM.
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9 2008, 04:37 PM   #162
T'mynn
Inactive

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern

I couldn't finish William Shatner's TekWar, or his Edan book. His writting style is.... lacking.

L.Ron Hubard's book Dianetics. The Book of Mormon gave me a headache.
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9 2008, 10:52 PM   #163
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mynn Enz View Post
I couldn't finish William Shatner's TekWar, or his Edan book. His writting style is.... lacking. <sinp>
Yes, and he give Star Trek his own tiwst, I tried a few of his books, and could not or did read them a felt like he was so full of himself as a Kirk etc.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2008, 10:22 PM   #164
Sandi

William Shatner is a character, all right. I had forgotten all about those TekWar books. I doubt he made a lot of money on them. He does make a lot of money out of being full of himself, though. If anyone is an example of making a positive out of negativity, he's it!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2008, 08:18 PM   #165
T'mynn
Inactive

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern

Now he does the Price Line commercials and T.V show "Boston Legeal".

War and Peace.The I'Ching- I'm not finished with it yet, it's just takin a while sicne it's a g600 Page book..
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 12:55 AM   #166
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Stepen King: Never got into it.

Read the Hobbit once I read chapter one that was it.

There is one more, drat my memory, I don't even recall its name. "snort"
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Oct 13 2008, 09:48 PM   #167
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I do not think I even got threw the first chapter of The Hobit.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 11:07 PM   #168
Sandi

Well, I've had my say about J.R.R.T. elsewhere and often. I'll just say we can agree to disagree on this point, ok?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2008, 06:30 PM   #169
Emma-Jayde
Inactive

Fan of: Pern and Crystal Singer
Now Reading: LotR, when I have the time.

I gave up on Harry Potter about halfway through book 4, and I couldn't sit through any of the movies. I just found them boring.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley was one I never finished the first time I read it, although I think this was because I was studying it in high school and we were only supposed to read up to a certain point before each lesson. It's very hard to answer questions on particular chapters when you've already read what happens next! We were studying it with the movie Blade Runner, and I never liked that movie either until I sat down and watched it all the way through without interruptions along the lines of "Now, what do you think the director was trying to achieve when he used the recurring image of a unicorn?"...

I think my only reaction to Heart of Darkness could be "Oh God! Not again!!! Nooooooooooooooooooo!"

There's a book sitting on my desk at the moment that I only got about 20 pages into. I don't remember anything about it... Or the author... But the book is green.
Emma-Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2008, 07:30 PM   #170
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

Book 2 of the Bartimaeus Trilogy (The Golem's Eye) did not get past first chapter
Seeing Redd (2nd book of the Looking Glass Wars)
The Riddle (2nd book of Pellinor)...The Naming was good but in the Riddle she is on a dog sled in the middle of the artic and it is a long slow trip to nowhere

I may try all of these at another time but those are the 3 off the top of my head that I have been unable to complete ....
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 12:39 PM   #171
Dernok
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Well, it took me several tries to finish Dostoevskys "The Idiot" but it was worth it. Since i finished it, it's one of my favourites and i read it again 3 times.

There're several books i laid asides to read something that fits my mood better first. There're some i put away for ever:
Philip José Farmers "Lord Tyger", Hans Dominiks "Atlantis" and - the odd one out 8-) - Erich von Mansteins "Lost Victories", although he's disclosing some very interesting details there.
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 05:16 PM   #172
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I can NOT get into Brisinger. No how , no way.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2008, 09:03 AM   #173
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

I am currently making my way through "Thirteen Moons" but put it aside to reread the Harper Hall trilogy --The synopsis is more interesting so far than the actual book but some books are just slow starters....
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2008, 01:25 PM   #174
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
I can NOT get into Brisinger. No how , no way.
haha....I'm finding the same issue. I think it's just cause I blew through the entire Twilight series in the last week and the two authors have totally different writing styles.

I also found that I made it through about half of "empress" and found that I was getting to angry to finish reading it. It's about the first empress of china.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2009, 11:21 PM   #175
calenlily
Inactive

Fan of: Lessa/F'lar fangirl
Now Reading: Harry Potter a l'ecole des sorciers

Lessee, I couldn't finish Wuthering Heights or Great Expectations. Didn't get past the first chapter of Lord of the Flies, so I pretty much count that one as simply 'didn't read'. I stopped somewhere in the middle of 1984 and Mists of Avalon, but both of those were more a case of I got distracted by something else and never got around to picking them up again; I was enjoying the stories and I hope to finish them someday.

I had to read Heart of Darkness twice for school. I don't think I've despised a book more, but I managed to slog through it both times. I very rarely leave books unfinished, because I read freakishly fast so I can finish nearly anything in one sitting.

Lord of the Rings took me three tries to get past the first chapter, but once I did I finished the trilogy in a matter of days and was obsessed with it for the next two years. I've even read the Silmarillion multiple times.
calenlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2009, 02:11 AM   #176
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Just twig another one Star Wars New Jedi Order, started but never did get it.

Star Trek by William Shanter, or Tek Wars.

Do Book on Tape count? Star Trek NG just one part jard me the the reader flaten Data voice. The interduction is good, Over not bad but Data is not a robot. The actor who played Scotty" There was another I started can find by him and one book that I can read but its kind hard. Don't ask me why.
Ginny
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Apr 21 2009, 05:27 AM   #177
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

I have forced my way through Hermann Melville books way back in High School, but Moby Dick defeated me. Dumbest thing I ever read -

With the exception of Angels and Demons by - whosis, the guy who wrote DaVinci Ripoff, sorry, Code. I wrote better than he does in high school, and so do most people I know. Appalling writing, mind-meltingly predictable plot stolen from Holy Blood Holy Grail - a talentless rehash of every idiotic conspiracy theory in the world. I read one chapter, then skimmed pages, then skimmed chapters, and finally threw it against the wall in fury.

Which I also did with LeGuin's Tehanu, which surprised me. Oh, and McAvoy's Twisting the Rope (supposedly a 'sequel' to Tea With The Black Dragon, which is a little gem of a book, but this 'afterword' was sheer rubbish).
Old Apr 21 2009, 06:45 PM   #178
Brenda

Ha, I read the "Best Illustrated Classics" version of Moby Dick, so I know the gist of what happens, and it still didn't make much sense.

Let me take a moment to rant here... the "Best Illustrated Classics" series are a total ripoff. I got a lot of them for presents from an aunt, and when I realized later that I hadn't been given the "real" books I was pretty annoyed! They're really thick... because there is an illustration on every page. Granted, they do a good job at telling a classic like Around the World in 80 Days in far fewer words - they really did retain the feel of the characters - and I'm sure there are some kids who would not have the attention span to read the originals. But I'm still waiting to catch up on some of the originals of those "classics"!

It's basically a case of, they dumbed it down for me, and when I found out I was insulted! I would recommend against giving these to kids for that reason.

Thank goodness I was also given the full versions of White Fang, Black Beauty, The Lost World (Doyle, not Crichton) and War of the Worlds.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25 2009, 06:47 PM   #179
Thistlerose
Inactive

Fan of: Moreta (Pern)
Now Reading: We Never Talk About My Brother, Peter Beagle

I was supposed to have read Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage in high school, but I just couldn't get into it. Crane only referred to his protagonist as The Youth, which I found extremely off-putting. Fortunately, someone who'd read the book before me had underlined all the key passages, so even though I only read the first chapter, I still got an A on the paper I wrote about the book.

Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man bored me to sleep.

I've tried three times to read Bronte's Jane Eyre and I just...couldn't. Despite enjoying a number of movie and miniseries versions. (And yet, I liked Wuthering Heights. Go figure.)
Thistlerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25 2009, 07:13 PM   #180
calenlily
Inactive

I didn't finish Jane Eyre either ... and until now had managed to forget I'd ever tried.
Old Apr 29 2009, 10:43 AM   #181
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
I have forced my way through Hermann Melville books way back in High School, but Moby Dick defeated me. Dumbest thing I ever read -

With the exception of Angels and Demons by - whosis, the guy who wrote DaVinci Ripoff, sorry, Code. I wrote better than he does in high school, and so do most people I know. Appalling writing, mind-meltingly predictable plot stolen from Holy Blood Holy Grail - a talentless rehash of every idiotic conspiracy theory in the world. I read one chapter, then skimmed pages, then skimmed chapters, and finally threw it against the wall in fury.

Which I also did with LeGuin's Tehanu, which surprised me. Oh, and McAvoy's Twisting the Rope (supposedly a 'sequel' to Tea With The Black Dragon, which is a little gem of a book, but this 'afterword' was sheer rubbish).
Melville is easier if you try and read through everything he wrote imagining it as a love letter to Nathaniel Hawthorne. (Boy had issues, I'm just sayin'.)

As for DaVinci Code/Angels and Demons (Dan Brown), it's not THAT bad. Just highly, highly predictable. When I was solving supposedly super-hard puzzles (and I hate number codes and other math-based things) before the supposed genius protagonists I really didn't buy it. It's a beach-bag/airport read, for sure. I'll generally have a higher tolerance for those kind of thriller/technothriller male books, though, than the female equivalent, the chick-lit "literary romance" stuff. Those are also beach reads, but the shallow protags with no real problems in their lives get stale really quick. At least stuff like TDC has unintentionally funny things like sociopathic flagellite albino monks.

Never made it through anything of LeGuin's, oddly enough considering I'm very familiar with her parents and their work and that makes me curious about how she ended up writing SF/F. And note to self: don't bother with "Twisting the Rope". For some reason I read "Tea With the Black Dragon" but never grabbed that one off the shelf.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2009, 02:36 PM   #182
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

I've never managed to finish my diary. Whenever I finish a day, another one appears...
Old Apr 29 2009, 03:03 PM   #183
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30 2009, 01:43 AM   #184
calenlily
Inactive

@StevenB: But wouldn't that be writing, not reading?
Old Apr 30 2009, 12:34 PM   #185
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

I know. I just couldn't resist the joke.

I guess a newspaper cartoon would be the reading equivalent. A new one appears every day.
Old Apr 30 2009, 10:34 PM   #186
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I partly agree with you on LotR; hearing comments like you make made me understand why so much authors insist/suggest reading in published order

I started out with the trilogy and loved it tough I completely agree wth you on the Tom Bombadil intermezzo But then, professor Tolkien was known for them...

Donaldson is something different and uncomparable. When I asked Anne what she tought of him she said she thought he wrote too difficult Yes, you have to have something special to appreciate Donaldson, he's certainly not for every reader and especially nor for the happy-fluffy-let's get some distraction from real life reader!
I'm one of the die hards/ I already saw the first volume of his Last Chrionicles (Runes of the Earth) sols as remainders, so the publisher thought too highly of then I guess... still I actually am reading Fatal Revenant now and will definitely read the following volumes. Not all things in life are easy!
I've read Brin, so it's not a matter of difficulty. I just didn't find Donaldson interesting. I did find him florid and long-winded. And I've noted that any number of authors I do enjoy are not necessarily enjoyed by others--including McCaffrey.

If you want difficult reading, try the inner workings of analog fire control computers on for size sometime, or aeronautical design principles as they pertain to fighter aircraft performance, or divining underlining tactical doctrine from fragmentary manuals and various disjointed and unrelated reports, memoirs and texts--that kind of thing constitutes 90% of my reading time. Forgive me if I don't stipulate a need to be "special" to appreciate it.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30 2009, 10:40 PM   #187
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dernok View Post
Well, it took me several tries to finish Dostoevskys "The Idiot" but it was worth it. Since i finished it, it's one of my favourites and i read it again 3 times.

There're several books i laid asides to read something that fits my mood better first. There're some i put away for ever:
Philip José Farmers "Lord Tyger", Hans Dominiks "Atlantis" and - the odd one out 8-) - Erich von Mansteins "Lost Victories", although he's disclosing some very interesting details there.
Manstein. Military giant. Moral pygmy. I really loathe to say that given just how damn good of a general the man was, but if he'd been a bit less of a stiff-necked Deutschland right-or-wrong Prussian pinhead, the German resistance might have actually done away with Hitler. "Prussian Field Marshals don't mutiny!" That cop-out has been largely forgotten because it was rapidly topped by the Nuremburg defense...

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Apr 30 2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: addition
Old Apr 30 2009, 10:49 PM   #188
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post

OMG, Melville was mind-numbing! You mean to tell me that a bunch of guys standing around with harpoons wouldn't put one into that lunatic Ahab before he got them all killed?

In fact, most "great American authors" all of whom seem to hail from that same period are absolutely dull, dull, dull! Perhaps the only one one that did anything for me was Poe, and that was probably because after reading the others you're in a depressed enough mood to relate to Poe.

Can't say I much appreciate some of the British "great authors" either. I despise Milton and Dickens (A Christmas Carol is the only thing of his I can stand), and find the "romantic poets" nauseating (don't get my English-major wife started on her contempt for them). I think after Shakespeare, they were all trying too hard. My money's on The Bard, Tudor-propagandist and dirty-old-man with a sly sense of humor that he was.

I never understood the raves for LeGuin. I found her contrived and boring. As much as Narnia is an amusing conceit, I feel much the same way about C.S. Lewis--the Perelandra trilogy was awful.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Apr 30 2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old Apr 30 2009, 10:57 PM   #189
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Ha, I read the "Best Illustrated Classics" version of Moby Dick, so I know the gist of what happens, and it still didn't make much sense.

Let me take a moment to rant here... the "Best Illustrated Classics" series are a total ripoff. I got a lot of them for presents from an aunt, and when I realized later that I hadn't been given the "real" books I was pretty annoyed! They're really thick... because there is an illustration on every page. Granted, they do a good job at telling a classic like Around the World in 80 Days in far fewer words - they really did retain the feel of the characters - and I'm sure there are some kids who would not have the attention span to read the originals. But I'm still waiting to catch up on some of the originals of those "classics"!

It's basically a case of, they dumbed it down for me, and when I found out I was insulted! I would recommend against giving these to kids for that reason.

Thank goodness I was also given the full versions of White Fang, Black Beauty, The Lost World (Doyle, not Crichton) and War of the Worlds.
I think you're a little hard on the BIC books...depending on what age you were given them. They're great gateway books...when you're in single-digits age-wise. I think I read most of them well before I was eight (understand, that my gaijin mother had nothing else to do with her time in post-Occupation Japan than teach me to read and calculate, so I tested out at college reading levels before the third grade). The tales I found more memorable from amongst them later informed my selections of the "real" books later in life. If you were given these in your teen years or adulthood, then yes, the person who provided them was probably a little ignorant to do so and/or did not properly evaluate the content/nature of the purchase.
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:06 PM   #190
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Melville is easier if you try and read through everything he wrote imagining it as a love letter to Nathaniel Hawthorne. (Boy had issues, I'm just sayin'.)

As for DaVinci Code/Angels and Demons (Dan Brown), it's not THAT bad. Just highly, highly predictable. When I was solving supposedly super-hard puzzles (and I hate number codes and other math-based things) before the supposed genius protagonists I really didn't buy it. It's a beach-bag/airport read, for sure. I'll generally have a higher tolerance for those kind of thriller/technothriller male books, though, than the female equivalent, the chick-lit "literary romance" stuff. Those are also beach reads, but the shallow protags with no real problems in their lives get stale really quick. At least stuff like TDC has unintentionally funny things like sociopathic flagellite albino monks.

Never made it through anything of LeGuin's, oddly enough considering I'm very familiar with her parents and their work and that makes me curious about how she ended up writing SF/F. And note to self: don't bother with "Twisting the Rope". For some reason I read "Tea With the Black Dragon" but never grabbed that one off the shelf.
Melville. Hawthorne. F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Concur on Dan Brown. Lump Dale Brown (Flight of the Old Dog) and Clive Cussler (Dirk Pitt) in the same category.

Also concur on any novel that would be made into a Lifetime or Oxygen television movie. Can't read any of that without wishing that something even worse occur to the so-called protagonist and that they meet a horrible end. In fact there are a number of such tales flitting around at the edge of my memory, but they're all so un-memorable that I can't bring their names to mind.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Apr 30 2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:07 PM   #191
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
I've never managed to finish my diary. Whenever I finish a day, another one appears...
There's a cure for that...but it's kind of permanent and worse than the disease...
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:16 PM   #192
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistlerose View Post
I was supposed to have read Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage in high school, but I just couldn't get into it. Crane only referred to his protagonist as The Youth, which I found extremely off-putting. Fortunately, someone who'd read the book before me had underlined all the key passages, so even though I only read the first chapter, I still got an A on the paper I wrote about the book.

Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man bored me to sleep.

I've tried three times to read Bronte's Jane Eyre and I just...couldn't. Despite enjoying a number of movie and miniseries versions. (And yet, I liked Wuthering Heights. Go figure.)
Red Badge of Courage. All Quiet on the Western Front. Flowers for Algernon.
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:22 PM   #193
Brenda

Yeah, I'm sure they would be good for a lot of kids... I was still in grade school. I think it was just that it was my first experience with an abridged book, and when I found out the real thing had a lot more to it, I felt gypped!
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:29 PM   #194
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattv2099 View Post
I started reading the Dune series in the late 1980's as a preteen. Eventually I finished the series and determined Dune to be my favoreite book of all time. However, about 3 years ago I discovered that I had not finished Frank Herbert's Dune series. For some reason I failed to realize that Chapterhouse even existed! In all my years of browsing bookstores I never bothered to check the dune books because I had my HB BCE's from the 80's. So When I discovered Chapterhouse Dune a few years ago I was ecstatic. I enjoyed it. I have yet to find a HB copy though.
Dune. Uggh. Found the first volume moderately interesting, so I read the second and found it disappointing, but on the advice of others, persevered through the third which disappointed further. Reading the series was like eating sand. Sold 'em at the used book store. When I saw the fourth volume in the book stores, I swore I'd do the world a favor and strangle Frank Herbert if I ever met him. Every volume after the first in this series was too many.
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:35 PM   #195
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I actually managed to read all of Morte D'Arthur (well, I may have skimmed bits of it). I would guess a lot has to do on what version/translation you read. The language in some makes it much harder to slog through. Unfortunately, I have no clue what version it was that I did read...
Yeah, I made it through that too. I figure Mallory was in prison for being a boring writer. Very tedious.
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:36 PM   #196
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
I've finished all of Anne's books that I picked up, although some were much harder going than others.

I never got beyond the first Acorna. The first chapter of Power Lines included with my copy of Powers That Be put me off the rest of the series.

I never finished The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, although I loved her Secret History.
Neither the Acorna nor Petaybee series' succeeded in capturing my attention. My wife read through both.
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:45 PM   #197
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
LOL

I remember seeing another hard to read/finish book in almost every hotel room

LOL

Must say that in places the Koran is far moe readable than the Bible.
Two books responsible for more murder and inhumanity than any other volumes, Mein Kampf and Das Kapital included.

Once read an interesting tabulation of the atrocities in the Bible, and realized as I was reading it that it was incomplete.

Hard to believe that hard-core Bible-Thumpers object to trashy television fare given all of the condoned murder, rape, treachery, theft, adultery polygamy, incest and hypocrisy in their revered "holy" book.

My daughter asked me what book I'd take if I could take only one to a desert island. I stated a complete and exhaustive Encyclopedia. Like a good little girl she piped up with "What about the Bible?" and I replied that given all the evil that has been done it its name, I'd specifically avoid taking it.
Old Apr 30 2009, 11:48 PM   #198
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinx View Post
Couldn't finish a certain book by Piers Anthony. I thought I could be open minded about reading it but it just made me sick.

Flinx
Never managed to read a single Piers Anthony book. Actually, never even tried.
Old May 1 2009, 04:25 AM   #199
Brenda

I don't like most of Piers Anthony's books, but "On a Pale Horse" is definitely worth trying. It's the first of a series but can really stand alone.
Old May 1 2009, 09:45 AM   #200
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I agree aboout the 'romance' poets.

Like athletes, if they can't perform without enhancing drugs, then their performances are worth anal output.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote