A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jan 21 2007, 04:42 PM   #41
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes
Default Re: eragon

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was one of Disney's fairly few and far between exceptions!! Disney distorts almost everything it touches, which isn't usually a huge deal, but I don't want to see them ruin Dragonriders of Pern!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2007, 09:18 PM   #42
Carter
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
I read the books first and I liked them a lot. Then I saw the movie with a friend and we were OUTRAGED! We spent most of the time there making fun of the scenes. They left out peices that are vital to the next book! But how Arya was portrayed dissapointed me the most. She was supposed to be in a coma! So though I despised the movie, I really think that those who have seen (and probably despised) the movie should read the books.

Oh, and as a side note.... There is an Erragon who is mentioned a lot in the Skies of Pern. Coincidence? I think not!! (hehee)

Outraged? Really? Hmm.

Frankly, I liked the movie, and so far, the books (at least the first one) is very ho-hum, bordering boring. The things I came across that were left out (so far) were very non-crucial to - and distracting from - the plot. I'm still hoping it gets better. Actually, I've put it down to read the Age of Fire series by E. E. Knight. Both of those (Dragon Champion and Dragon Avenger are entertaining - if a little simple - reads). Knight is writing the third one now.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2007, 09:46 PM   #43
makenzie71
Inactive

Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana View Post
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was one of Disney's fairly few and far between exceptions!! Disney distorts almost everything it touches, which isn't usually a huge deal, but I don't want to see them ruin Dragonriders of Pern!
I really haven't seen any Disney production that was distorted beyond what was needed to make the novel-to-theatre transition. If anything, their work with Lewis' novels, Mayazaki's productions, and their abillity to produce any film fully in-house (on top of being willing to pay tremendous dollar amounts to the people behind the film) has more than proven their abillity with the fantasy sci-fi genre.

It's all moot, though, because Copperheart got he rights...a no-name low-budget agency got it. Since these people thought their rendition of "Black Christmas" belonged in the box office, I'll be loath to see what they think of pern and the silverscreen...
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2007, 10:32 AM   #44
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I'm afraid I'd like a film where they at least listen to the author and follow the books thank you very much! Both TLTWATW and HHGTTG were severely flawed! Especially in that they abandoned the plot whenever they wanted!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2007, 02:41 PM   #45
makenzie71
Inactive

The hitchhiker's guide was a bit more skewed, but I think it was only enough to make the transition smoothly. I don't think either the Narnia books or the Hitchhiker books would make good films in their originallity. Most books wouldn't because of how long they would have to be.

On top of that, there has to be a clear distinction between the film and novel all the time. If the barrier between them is removed, the publisher and producer both lose money because many people will read the book or see the film, but not both. Cuts into both markets. Eragon is a classic example of this; I know four people, personally, who went and saw the movie ONLY to make fun of it after hearing about it's flaws second hand, otherwise they would have waited for it to be on tv or something.
Old Jan 24 2007, 02:53 PM   #46
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

So, as long as people are going to go to the movie, it's ok if it's crappy??
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2007, 03:02 PM   #47
makenzie71
Inactive

From a business standpoint, yeah. Even better if it's crappy. If you've got people going anyway, it's easier and far cheaper to make poor films than good ones.
Old Jan 24 2007, 03:07 PM   #48
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
The hitchhiker's guide was a bit more skewed, but I think it was only enough to make the transition smoothly. I don't think either the Narnia books or the Hitchhiker books would make good films in their originallity.

HHGTTG was a radio play, then a book, then a TV program- it was originally a script, if it'd been cut down I could understand- it was the whole Zaphod's enemy and the love thing! In the books Arthur doesn't get a girlfriend (Fenchurch) until "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" and he then carelessy loses her, which isn't resolved in the books- the series was never really finished and Douglas Adams disliked the downbeat ending but died before it could be resolved. They did books 3,4 and 5 on radio and rewrote the ending to give it a happy ending as that was what would've happened if Douglas Adams hadn't died.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2007, 03:17 PM   #49
makenzie71
Inactive

I didn't know that...it's been so long since I've read the Guide that I really couldn't remember most of it. I knew some things were different, but I mostly go with what my fiance tells me (she read the books recent to the movie's release).
Old Sep 7 2008, 12:30 AM   #50
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

As I understand it, Narnia wasn't filmed, animated or otherwise by Disney, Walden Media made the movie, Disney just got the rights for distributing etc....

Read Eragon, haven't had the desire to pick up the second one at all, much less find the third. the story felt too borrowed, like he had found parts of other stories he liked, and put them directly into HIS story. the areas that stitched it all together were likely his work, but text books had more life to them. One can hope that his writing style improved with age, but my ability to hope went away with the Star Wars prequels.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2008, 11:09 AM   #51
makenzie71
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost8772 View Post
As I understand it, Narnia wasn't filmed, animated or otherwise by Disney, Walden Media made the movie, Disney just got the rights for distributing etc....

Read Eragon, haven't had the desire to pick up the second one at all, much less find the third. the story felt too borrowed, like he had found parts of other stories he liked, and put them directly into HIS story. the areas that stitched it all together were likely his work, but text books had more life to them. One can hope that his writing style improved with age, but my ability to hope went away with the Star Wars prequels.
Production was by Walden Media in association and in house with Disney.

Also, what exactly is original anymore? Even going back thirty years to the Pern novels. The only things truly original about them were the name of the setting and the dragons have copper-based blood. She may have conjured up the rest but none of it was truly original....psychic communication with critters, space travel, teleporting dragons, and so on and so on.

In this day and age NOTHING is original. End of story.
Old Sep 7 2008, 04:13 PM   #52
Brenda

Having the dragons be the good guys was pretty original at the time.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2008, 04:20 PM   #53
makenzie71
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Having the dragons be the good guys was pretty original at the time.
The first Pern publishings were Weyr Search and Dragonrider in 1969. Puff the Magic Dragon was written in 1959. Myths of dragons go back further than written history and, from day one, there are dragons who breath fire and eat virgins along side those who protect, serve and advocate the innocent.
Old Sep 8 2008, 02:24 AM   #54
ghost8772

dragons have been good, bad, and ugly depending on where you look. the requirement of a rider for the dragon to exist was pretty original.

My problem arises from taking whole sections of another persons work and calling it their own. it would be like me writing a story about androids, and requiring that they followed three basic commands of operation. But not only did I not acknowledge an influence by Asimov, tried to get people to believe I came up with the idea ALL ON MY own.
Old Sep 8 2008, 06:07 AM   #55
makenzie71
Inactive

Paolini specifically referenced his inspiration by McCaffrey, Feist, Tolkein, and others.
Old Sep 29 2008, 08:55 AM   #56
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

I finally finished Eragon last night and am reading the Eldest....My husband is reading Brisingr.....glad to say the book was very good and just makes the movie that much more atrocious....
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29 2008, 12:33 PM   #57
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I have not gotten Brisingr yet, I have not had the money, but, I am getting impatiant.
I WANT IT NOW!

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1 2008, 05:17 AM   #58
Rissa
Inactive

Fan of: Fantasy
Now Reading: Dragonlovers Guide to Pern

Cant wait to read the book myself!!
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2 2008, 05:08 AM   #59
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight <3 F'lar fan
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray

I have read all of the Inheritance Cycle books to my younger, brother whom I deemed too young to understand the Pern series just yet, and found that I don't hate them, but I'm not opposed to them.
Goldrider Thais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2 2008, 10:46 PM   #60
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

You could start your younger brother on the Harper books and some of the short stories. A Gift Of Dragons has some GOOD short stories for younger readers. If he can get into Eragon books then then he would have no problems with these.

Old Oct 4 2008, 01:32 AM   #61
Brenda

I highly recommend Bruce Coville's books to readers of just about every age; although the target audience seems to be 6th graders, he is in my top five of Favorite Authors Ever.
Old Oct 4 2008, 02:20 AM   #62
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

Thanks, Mawra! I don't know why I haven't thought of that, lol. I do edit Eragon a bit though, it started to get a little gory. :P

I don't think I've ever heard of Bruce Coville. What does he write?
Old Oct 4 2008, 06:06 PM   #63
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

The name sounds familur, but I am not sure what he writes.

Old Oct 7 2008, 06:24 PM   #64
Brenda

Bruce Coville has written some excellent science fiction and fantasy for younger readers.

These are the series I would recommend starting with:

The Magic Shop Series: No one ever goes there on purpose - but it's never an accident that they find it, or what they bring from it.
-The Monster's Ring
-Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher
-Jennifer Murdley's Toad
-The Skull of Truth
-Juliet Dove, Queen of Love

The Rod Allbright series: some of the most amazing books I have ever read, which I am not even going to attempt to describe - except that the titles make them sound much sillier than they actually are. Not that there isn't occasional silliness.
-Aliens Ate My Homework
-I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X
-The Search for Snout
-Aliens Stole My Body

The My Teacher series:
My Teacher is an Alien
My Teacher Fried My Brains
My Teacher Glows in the Dark
My Teacher Flunked the Planet

The Nina Tanleven series: Amazing ghost stories - the protagonist starts seeing ghosts, and trying to figure out what they are trying to tell her...
-The Ghost in the Third Row
-The Ghost Wore Grey
-The Ghost in the Big Brass Bed

I also recommend the Unicorn Chronicles:
-Into the Land of the Unicorns
-Song of the Wanderer
-Dark Whispers (I didn't know this one was out!!!!!!!!!)
-fourth book forthcoming

There are others listed at the website. The "Bruce Coville's Book of..." series are anthologies featuring stories by many authors like Jane Yolen - they are all pretty good too.
Old Oct 8 2008, 05:06 AM   #65
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

Thanks, Brenda! I think I'll give some of these a try.
Old Oct 14 2008, 01:50 AM   #66
larina97
Inactive

Now Reading: Anything Anne's...

My copy of Eragon was stolen. I would like to replace it. Can someone please give the the correct ISBN # for the version I want? Look at the one you have. It should have been published in 2006. It should also have a blurb in the frist few pages from Anne McCaffrey wanting more... That's the only reason I bought the book or cared about the movie was that she approved...
larina97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2008, 08:32 AM   #67
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

And which version DO you want Larina?
Mass market paperback, trade paperback, hardcover and (I am supposing in English) in the UK or US version?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2008, 09:56 AM   #68
larina97
Inactive

Now Reading: Anything Anne's...

The 2006 paper back version. That came out just befroe the movie. Inside the first few pages is a blurb from Anne. It was the cast of the movie on the cover and pics from it in the middle.
larina97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2008, 10:56 AM   #69
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Could it be this version then?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...F8&me=&seller=

You have to scroll down a bit for the ISBN and book data.
Unfortunately in this case you can't see the first pages of the book.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2008, 05:26 PM   #70
Katanna
Inactive

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Blue Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
but the story was well... wrong!
The beginning was relatively accurate but then it rapidly went downhill- most of the 2nd half was a complete load of... ahem! And HHGTTG was written for radio so it started as a script!
I'm afraid that I've only seen the old BBC episodes of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I haven't seen the new version, but from the looks of it, I think that the older ones would be better.

Sorry for going off of the topic.

I liked the first and second book, they were pretty good. I haven't read the third book yet.
Katanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2008, 05:29 PM   #71
Katanna
Inactive

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Blue Adept

I've only read "The Song of the Wanderer" and one other book...I think that it was "A Glory of Unicorns"...
Katanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2008, 07:06 PM   #72
Brenda

If you haven't read "Into the Land of the Unicorns" you really ought to - it comes first in the series.
Old Jan 20 2009, 02:09 AM   #73
elvenart
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

My version of Eragon has the cast on the front, pics in the middle, and a small thing on the inside cover from Anne saying "Full praise to Eragon and I want more....". The ISBN# was 0-440-23848-x. Published by Laurel-Leaf books for $6.99 US.Was this what you needed?
As for the books, I felt, as did my father-in-law, that Paolini did borrow a lot of ideas from elsewhere.However, as was stated, it is difficult to find an original take on something nowadays. I liked the books a lot, own Eragon and Brisingr , and read both occasionally,while borrowing Eldest from my sister-in-law. I found them a good read, especially considering the first was published while the guy was in his teens. The movie, on the other hand, left much to be desired as a rendition of the book. I count it the same way I do the Star Wars (Ep.1,2,3, vs. 4,5,6,), as a stand-alone thing. There were WAY too many changes , in my opinion, for theme to tout it as the adaptation of the novel. Better to just say loosely based on the novel. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was OK, but not the great thing the producer obviously thought it to be.
My hope is that the movie company with the rights to Pern takes a more serious approach to Anne's books, and doesn't try to change too much. I know that there always will be changes between book and movie, but hopefully nothing major (Red Ring of Time Travel, anyone, from the aborted TV script?)
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20 2009, 05:18 PM   #74
Brenda

Yes, it is hard to find an original take on things... but the reader should not be able to easily list all the things that were borrowed from.
Old Jan 23 2009, 02:15 AM   #75
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher I've read that one even on of Anne's Dragon Name is ask by Jeremy to his new dragon. He or She I don't recall it been a long time!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2009, 11:38 PM   #76
Brenda

When he's trying to figure out a name for her, two of the ones he finds in library books are Mnementh and Ruth... I remember that when I first read it, I did not know what that was from!
Old Jan 26 2009, 05:12 PM   #77
ghost8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Yes, it is hard to find an original take on things... but the reader should not be able to easily list all the things that were borrowed from.
Thats exactly what my problem is with Eragon, and even Sword of Shannara. Granted Brooks got better, but I still feel Lord of the Rings got heavily borrowed in that. I don't know begged, borrowed, stolen, or came up with it out of his own little head, I wasn't a fan of Paolini's stuff.
Old Jan 26 2009, 11:26 PM   #78
Brenda

The only exception is when it is an obvious parody or reference, which the author wants to make a point of drawing attention to.
Old Feb 4 2009, 02:53 AM   #79
ghost8772

Or licensed expansion on an author's works, like Star Wars or Amber ended up having.
Old Jul 6 2009, 04:36 PM   #80
DragonDance
Inactive

I read all three Inheritance books, mainly out of desperation and the constant reassurances that "they get better!"

Hated them. They were highly derivative and epitomize every cliche in high fantasy. Star Wars plot in the Tolkien world with Pern reminiscent dragons. Eragon makes mistakes, doesn't learn from them; the other races have no spark of originality; plot pacing---especially in three---was a growing concern; the 'twists' were predictable. This kid needed an editor and is coasting on "Oh, I'm a young author" novelty for sales.

I wish I could find it; there was a pic of Laurance and Temeraire meeting Eragon and Saphira. Went something like:

Temeraire: Why are your ears pointed?
Eragon: I was given magic powers in a mystical ceremony where two beautiful naked elf maidens danced in front of a fire for me.
Temeraire: Oh. We call them whores in England.

Anne and Yolen knock him out of the water. But, hey, if that's the gateway drug to Pern...
DragonDance is offline   Reply With Quote