A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 27 2005, 02:44 AM   #1
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Is thread necessary?

How important is threadfall to the books as we have them? Would we still read Pern if thread wasn't falling, or would it lack the narrative and cultural impetus that we may be reading into it?
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2005, 03:52 AM   #2
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3
Default Re: Is thread necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
How important is threadfall to the books as we have them? Would we still read Pern if thread wasn't falling, or would it lack the narrative and cultural impetus that we may be reading into it?
I'd love to read a book about the start of an interval, when the older dragonriders have experience fighting thread, and the young whipper-snappers don't. Imagine a scenario where a young man who has never fought thread becomes Weyrleader, and has to try and lead some recalcitrant blue and greenriders who have, and thus don't respect his authority.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2005, 06:25 AM   #3
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Now *that* would be an interesting story.
It'd be great to see more of the dynamics of the weyr after thread has stopped falling in an interval. The hopeful youngsters whose chances of impressing diminish with the falling number of clutches. The riders knowing they no longer need fear dying/scoring every other day. The stupid mistakes being made by an increase in cockiness/arrogance from the "thread didn't kill me - nothing can!" attitude. The switch in leadership roles between a fighting weyrleader and the more management-orientated weyrwoman. Catching up with all those maintenance jobs that got sidelined during the pass.

As to the original question - without thread, why bother with dragons? Okay, so that's an in-canon issue, but it's hard to imagine what Dragonflight would have been like without thread. Anne needed a reason for the dragonriders position as a group in decline, lacking respect - and some external hazard to bring them back to the forefront. As alternatives to thread, without getting into the realms of fantasy/magic, all I can think of right now is a native species which occasionally comes out of hibernation, or transmutes to a different biological phase, causing havoc when it does. Maybe a plant, producing deadly gases under certain weather/tide conditions - like those coral that all produce spores/pollen/whatever it's called at the same time. Umm... or something along the lines of the plot of _Pitch Black_ (great fun film btw). But it would have to be an external menace, rather than simple politics.

Another thing it would be good to see explored is a group of dragonriders acting in their own (and their dragons) best interests, rather than that of the entire population.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2005, 07:08 AM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Isn't that what Toric and co think anyway!
as to the new young weyrleader Granath mentioned. Could you imagine what would happen if there was an irasciable ex-weyrwoman there!

"Now then young man, why have you not got a sweep patrol out tonight then?"
"But #####, there's no thread."
"Don't mumble at me boy. Thread or no thread *'**** always had sweeprider's out! Even when no thread was due!"
"But there's no thread..."
etc, etc, etc!

(just like trying to explain her mobile to my Gran!)
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2005, 10:36 AM   #5
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

I think the series would be completely different if there weren't thread. I think there would have to be *something* to justify the dragons need to breath fire (other then hunting or protecting).

I would like to see at least one more book after the end of the 9th pass (at the 50 year mark that Jaxom jumped to when he was checking the readings on the Yoko bridge would be a good time) just to see what our heros and heroines were up to.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2005, 12:19 PM   #6
Sandi

If Thread had never fallen on Pern it would be a very different place. Most notably, there would never have been any dragons But also, the warning would never have been sent and there would probably have been at least some contact maintained with other worlds. Nope, it wouldn't have ever become the Pern we know and love if it hadn't been for Thread.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Larra Dragonrider
Inactive

yeas, i agree. pern wouldn't be the same, but all the same, i'd like to see a book set in an interval, just not the everlasting 9th one.
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2005, 07:57 PM   #8
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

For Pern as a concept to function initially? Yes. The good books up until now don't function without it--Moreta needs an impetus for WHY it's so critical they save dragonriders, not just because "people are sick", the original trilogy required the people to unify against the threat and behind F'lar's goal of getting rid of it forever, Ddawn needed Thread to give the colonists a rational reason to create a massive supercarnivorne when the planet clearly doesn't need one. They needed a reason not to go hunting Menolly--well, she was lost to Thread!

With the concept established, though, it's not required for a good Pern book. (Okay, it has been so far, but past performance is not an indication of future success.) I'd love to see a book set during an interval, when there are dragonriders who are going to live, Impress, and die never having seen their ancient enemy--the 'placeholders' of Pernese history, who actually would outnumber the dragonriders who actually end up fighting Thread. Or how about one set at the midpoint of a LONG Interval--what about the dragonriders who were gearing up for Thread to come...and then it doesn't?
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2005, 03:09 AM   #9
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth
For Pern as a concept to function initially? Yes. The good books up until now don't function without it--Moreta needs an impetus for WHY it's so critical they save dragonriders, not just because "people are sick", the original trilogy required the people to unify against the threat and behind F'lar's goal of getting rid of it forever, Ddawn needed Thread to give the colonists a rational reason to create a massive supercarnivorne when the planet clearly doesn't need one. They needed a reason not to go hunting Menolly--well, she was lost to Thread!

With the concept established, though, it's not required for a good Pern book. (Okay, it has been so far, but past performance is not an indication of future success.) I'd love to see a book set during an interval, when there are dragonriders who are going to live, Impress, and die never having seen their ancient enemy--the 'placeholders' of Pernese history, who actually would outnumber the dragonriders who actually end up fighting Thread. Or how about one set at the midpoint of a LONG Interval--what about the dragonriders who were gearing up for Thread to come...and then it doesn't?
yes, an Interval would certainly be fun... and a Long Interval? Now THAT would be interesting!!!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2005, 07:58 AM   #10
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

I think it would be interesting to see the interval after the weyrs had come forward to help Lessa and F'lar. How did the people really deal with the loss of the weyrs?

Old Apr 28 2005, 08:32 AM   #11
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I'm not sure about that, its just 1 weyr.
In some ways it'd be more intersting to see a long interval with all the weyrs!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2005, 08:34 AM   #12
D'ana
Inactive

good call kater, that would be...interesting. although, if the weyrs were gone from the past passes, then wouldnt history haver been rewritten? at lest to a degree? it seems as though the whole balance of pern would be thrown.
D'ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2005, 10:33 AM   #13
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

I think what Kater is trying to say is a story based just after Lessa brought the Weyrs forward, in that time, and seeing how Pern would react to the sudden, unexplained, loss of five full Weyrs of dragons! There would be shock and probably some frightened people, and certainly some upheaval in the political balance!

Old Apr 28 2005, 11:27 AM   #14
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Thanx for the clarification c_ris It would be interesing to see the holders wondering if thread really was over and if not what would they do without all the riders etc.

Old Apr 29 2005, 07:10 PM   #15
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

I'd like a story about the end of the 8th Pass and it will follow one dragonrider who, at the end, times it to the 9th Pass. Oldtimer's point of view.
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2005, 11:01 PM   #16
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysrule
I'd like a story about the end of the 8th Pass and it will follow one dragonrider who, at the end, times it to the 9th Pass. Oldtimer's point of view.

Now, there's one that has fascinating possibilities. Who will he/she be leaving behind? Did he/she go because everyone else was going or was there some very personal reasons for leaving? Hmmmm you've got my imagination stirred up.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2005, 02:17 AM   #17
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Hmmm...fanfic...
Old May 1 2005, 07:08 AM   #18
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Thread is essential to Pern as we know it. It gives us the reason for the socio-political structure which has formed, and for the creation of the dragons. Without Thread,. then it is likely that the culture of Pern would be more similar to that of the colonists, and of us. Thread gave a reason for moving North, creating the dragons, carving homes out of cliffs, reverting to a very basic technology.

Thread is essential to the reasonings behind the changes on Pern from Dragonsdawn to the Ninth Pass. It is a constant, mindless enemy, and made Pern into what we read about.

Old May 1 2005, 09:04 AM   #19
Shadowdrake
Inactive

And think of this--

Without thread, would even the firelizards have evolved?
Shadowdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2005, 07:50 PM   #20
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Nope. So...Thread is necessary. Even in my fanfic, which takes place in the 9th int. I had to use another object (like a comet) to somehow bring Thread to the story. Sad, innit?