A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 31 2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Larra Dragonrider
Inactive

Default THe wierdest thing i ever did see...

o.k.
i'm a speed reader, and dont generally catch typos in Anne's books when i'm just reading for the hack of it. but last night, in ATWOP, one moment sharra and jancis are playing with liquid air at landing,and about five or so pages later, jaxom proposes his plan to take sharra down to landing by ship, since she cant go between.

weird....
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 04:16 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: THe wierdest thing i ever did see...

Give us the quote - I can't understand what you're reacting to.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 04:25 PM   #3
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

I have the book right here...just give me the page number.
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Gilluin
Welladay Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larra Dragonrider
o.k.
i'm a speed reader, and dont generally catch typos in Anne's books when i'm just reading for the hack of it. but last night, in ATWOP, one moment sharra and jancis are playing with liquid air at landing,and about five or so pages later, jaxom proposes his plan to take sharra down to landing by ship, since she cant go between.

weird....

Got It and I can find no refrence to liquid air. I am refrencing the hard cover copy and I don't have the paperback. ATWOP on pg 120 bottom to top of 121 Jaxom decides Sharra and the kids can come by ship since Sharra is pregnant. If I Go back 5 page pg 115 It is Jaxoms visit to Aramina and Jayge at paradise river hold. Later on chapter 9pg 175 Sharra must have had the baby since 3rd paragraph says
"To Jaxom's suprise, Ruth came out of between over the harbor waters, giving him and Sharra an excellent view of the activity below them."

So I don't know what you were reading. How well do you absorb the story when you speed read?
Gilluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 07:19 PM   #5
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

I know!!! It takes me a couple weeks to read a book like Weyrs or DBlood, but after the 2nd or 3rd time around I could speed-read it in a few days because most of it is absorbed.
Old Apr 1 2005, 06:36 AM   #6
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

as far as I can remember its only in the early stages that Between is dangerous.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2005, 06:53 AM   #7
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Isn't the problem the fact that Jaxom thinks about taking Sharra *to* Landing even though she's already there???
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

At normal speed I read about 80 pages an hour. Speed-reading I go to 120-150, so I can get through DF in about 2 hours if I really try. That does mean I might miss some nuances, though.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2005, 08:20 AM   #9
Gilluin
Welladay Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Isn't the problem the fact that Jaxom thinks about taking Sharra *to* Landing even though she's already there???

Sharra is not allready in landing she is in Ruatha. Jaxom is commuting between Landing and Ruatha
Gilluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2005, 09:01 AM   #10
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Larra Dragonrider mentions the text describing Sharra & Jancis playing with liquid air IN LANDING 5 pages before Jaxom decides to take Sharra there by ship.

I havn't checked the text myself to verify whether this is accurate - just pointing out that it's **this** bit of Larra's question that seems weird, not whether any mode of transport is more appropriate than any other.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2005, 09:28 AM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I've heard of this discrepancy before, that Jaxom worries about pregnant Sharra betweening and how to get her safely to Landing, when she's just been there and presumably would either still be there or had to have betweened to get back home...
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2005, 09:29 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Guys, Larra pointed out a known typo in AtWoP chapter 6, a real one.

In this passage:
Quote:
"Play with air?" Robinton asked, perplexed, and he noticed Master Morilton's knowing smile.
"This liquid helium," Aivas went on, "or rather, these liquids can flow in opposite directions at the same time; they will creep out of the top of a tall vessel and leave none in the bottom, and will even creep faster, much faster, through tiny holes than through large ones. You may fill a flask with liquid air yourself, Master Robinton, and experiment on your own. This is one of the most dangerous, and therefore educational, exercises for the students to do. Jancis, Sharra, there are flasks for you, too; this experiment is an important one for both of you."
I highligthed Sharra's name.

The original fragment I pasted here appears on
page 132 of the UK paperback
page 137 of the UK hardcover
page 117 of the US paperback
and on
page 110 of the US hardcover (DelRey as well as SFBC bookclub edition0

a few pages later, after the fact is discussed that Master Norist denies Morilton access to the sandpits, Jaxom says he can get some from Jayge and Aramina at Paradise. When he is at Paradise Aramina
Quote:
gave Jaxom a full net of fresh fruit to bring Sharra and Jarrol, and he thanked her profusely.
and Jaxom then times it back to Ruatha, to his wife and son... (which Ruth doesn't like as he doesn't like deceiving Sharra)

Shortly after that we read this:
Quote:
"Young children often have colds this time of year," Jaxom replied, though he knew that Jarrol had had far too many sniffles that winter. And poor Sharra was exhausted from nursing him, for she refused to allow anyone else to tend their firstborn. "Sometimes, Ruth, I'm very stupid," he exclaimed abruptly. "There's no reason in the world Sharra can't come south, enjoy decent weather, and study with Aivas!"
How? She can't go between carrying a baby.
"She can come by ship. We'll just find out from Master Idarolan when he can accommodate her on a trip south. They make the journey often enough. Yes, that's what we'll do. We'll all go south. There's nothing here at this season that Brand can't manage without me."
Thus we have explained the typo of the Sharra who was already at landing before she even set foot on the ship that brought her there

Long explanation for one, not widely known, small but legitimate typo
But well spotted by Larra!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2005, 09:33 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmmm, our posts crossed, dear fellow archivist

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 1 2005, 02:47 PM   #14
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Well, you said he timed it to Ruatha from Paradise River, so that means he puropsely visited Sharra before they went on a boat south. So Sharra was already at Landing before he timed it and Jaxom knew that Sharra had somehow made it to landing.
Old Apr 2 2005, 02:47 AM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

No, MR, he timed in only a very short time; if I remember correctly to arrive early evening in stead of at night, so he could spend some time with his wife.

Anyway, timing his visit to his wife could never explain her being physically present at landing at an earlier stage since she was in Ruaha and it was Jaxom who timed it She couldn't have been with jaxom on Ruth anyway because she was pregnant and not allowed on a dragon, hence her traveling south by ship.