A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 16 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
dragonbear
Inactive

Default All what to do now

Well, I have just finished the entire series for the fourteen time. (I think that's right) I have started the series over each time a new book was published. The only one I have not read yet is DragonBlood. Hardback books just don't last long with me. I did finally get DLG 2nd and am slowly reading it, I was lucky a few weeks back to win an unopened Dragon Riders of Pern game. I have not made it too far in it and when you apply what happens it all the books you get confused between the two.
I am afraid that unless Todd takes off where his mom ended, DRP is finished. There are some online gamers who are playing a version of Pern, I just have not figured out how it goes.
BTW I have also read every other series she wrote completely.
My work takes me all over the US and the world and her books are the best to keep ones mind off the travel and work.
dragonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 03:31 PM   #2
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Re: All what to do now

I don't know if we can say that DRP is finished per se. There are still opportunities in the past history to explore areas of potential interest, a la the books set in the earlier passes, and there is still the potential to look further into the future, and to chart the repercussions of the 9th pass thus far. I, for one, would like to see how Pern adapts to post-thread existence, for example.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 04:35 PM   #3
Larry Lea O-G
Inactive

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

Re-Read
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 05:37 PM   #4
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

So long as an author has ideas, then a series can go on and on and on and on...

even once every available time period has been dealt wwith - then write an old story from a new perspective...

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Obanion
Inactive

There is also an unlimited future. How about commerce reestablished 'twixt Pern and FSP. Pern could be an awesome holiday planet for Lars and Killa.
Obanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 08:25 PM   #6
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obanion
There is also an unlimited future. How about commerce reestablished 'twixt Pern and FSP. Pern could be an awesome holiday planet for Lars and Killa.
I believe that Anne has stated that Pern is in a separate universe to her other works.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2005, 02:08 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

You're right C_ris. Abanion, it's never going to happen. Pern stays in its own, seperate universe (despite the fact that terms like FSP are sometimes very close and seem interchangeable). Period.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2005, 03:22 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

like Hans ay re=read! I dunno how many times I've re-read the Pern books alone.-not ALL of them I've till got a couple I've read once or twice (more likely 4 0r 5 times) but don't peronally own. Theres alway a new angle to look at!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2005, 02:47 PM   #9
dragonbear
Inactive

I totally agree about re-reading. The problem I have is that I can remember everything in the book as I read it. I have to wait a year or more to let it all settle before starting again.

I sure hope there are more books coming. Anne's writings are easy and a total commitment to the reader.

I wonder if sometimes Anne or Todd come to these sites to read what their Fans are saying, and whether or not they should do another book on the series.
Old Mar 17 2005, 03:12 PM   #10
D'ana
Inactive

ive often wondered that myself...both about anne and about JK....i bet they do. just for fun. i would if it were me
D'ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2005, 03:50 PM   #11
Dragonsqueen
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
I believe that Anne has stated that Pern is in a separate universe to her other works.
She created it in the same universe, but it is seperate as it is so far out from the others, they choose it so that they were away from civilisation and the war. No one will visit them after the planet was declared uninhabitable in first fall.
I also think anne McCaffrey has a hundred stories to write there, not just involving past and future, but what about the lives of other characters and crafts in the world, she mainly focus' on dragon's and harpers, what about stories from the carpenters or smiths, or other trades men? I think that'd be cool
Dragonsqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2005, 06:55 PM   #12
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

Reread that's what I do to sustain myself while waiting for the next HP
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2005, 11:32 AM   #13
Obanion
Inactive

Read every book Anne has written. Then do it again.
Obanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2005, 10:54 AM   #14
dragonbear
Inactive

Well, folks, here's the deal, I have re-read DRoP 17 times now. I read the series each time a new book comes out, after reading the new one. I am going to re-read 'the Ship Who Sang' series again, 'The Rowan', 'Acorna', and then DRoP again if I don't find another series or author that meets my fancy.
Old Mar 20 2005, 05:46 PM   #15
Dux
Inactive

What other authors have you read and liked? Have you tried the Orson Scott Card's series that begin's with Ender's Game? How about Terry Brook's Shannara series? Both are good reads that involve multiple sequels. There is also David and Leigh Eddings Belgariad and Mallorean series.
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2005, 06:56 PM   #16
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Books I liked

Watership Down by Richard Adams- An adventurous story about a group of rabbits (all bucks) who leave their warren to escape danger. Unfortunately, danger isn't over for them. They need to find a place for a new warren, and once they do, they realize that they have no does to reproduce. They need to "steal" discontented does from a warren run by a despotic Chief Rabbit similar to Bitra under Chalkin, where anyone is allowed (in fact, forced) in, but no one is allowed out.

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by I don't know who- It's about a field mouse named Mrs. Frisby w/children, one of whom has pnemonia. She can't move to a temporary home to avoid the yearly plowing, because her sick sun will die in the cold. So she seeks the help od the rats of NIMH, who are physically and mentally enhanced lab rats who had escaped the NIMH (the lab place).

The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling, if you hadn't already read them

You might like the Chronocles of Narnia (C. S. Lewis), though I read only two and liked only one (Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe)

Dr. Franklin's Island ('inspired' by Island of Dr. Moreau(sp?)) by Ann Halam- about three teens, two boys and a girl, who are the only survivors of a plane crash. They survive on an island, but are captured by Dr. Franklin and his people, and they do experiments on them to turn them into a manta ray, a snake, and a bird. The three human-animals need to escape the island and find a way to turn themselves human again.

Read these books, I hope you like them!!
Old Mar 21 2005, 09:05 PM   #17
D'ana
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbear
Well, folks, here's the deal, I have re-read DRoP 17 times now. I read the series each time a new book comes out, after reading the new one. I am going to re-read 'the Ship Who Sang' series again, 'The Rowan', 'Acorna', and then DRoP again if I don't find another series or author that meets my fancy.
with any luck, harry potter and the half blood prince will come out in time to save your from time without fiction!
Old Mar 21 2005, 09:10 PM   #18
D'ana
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysrule

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by I don't know who- It's about a field mouse named Mrs. Frisby w/children, one of whom has pnemonia. She can't move to a temporary home to avoid the yearly plowing, because her sick sun will die in the cold. So she seeks the help od the rats of NIMH, who are physically and mentally enhanced lab rats who had escaped the NIMH (the lab place).

:
the lab place was the National Institute for Mental Health...maybe youve heard of it? haha i read that book when i was in fifth grade and it got cooler when i realized whet "NIMH" actually was...i read flowers for algernon after that, i had a thing for psychologically enhanced mice hehe
Old Mar 22 2005, 12:15 AM   #19
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'ana
the lab place was the National Institute for Mental Health...maybe youve heard of it? haha i read that book when i was in fifth grade and it got cooler when i realized whet "NIMH" actually was...i read flowers for algernon after that, i had a thing for psychologically enhanced mice hehe
What's flowers for algernon about? I'm interested...
Old Mar 22 2005, 12:22 AM   #20
dragonbear
Inactive

I have read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.
Lensmen series by EE doc Smith, however, have lost half to pochers.
Use to read a lot by Andre Norton until she change from SF to Fan

Right now most of the series I have been reading are in limbo waiting for the next book to come out in paperback. I do not have room for hardbacks, and where I live they don't last long either.

Goodkind's next one is out in HB and should be in PB soon.

I have been working on trying to write a book of my own. I have one major problem there in that English is the most illogical language there is and I have never been one to understand all the rules.
Old Mar 22 2005, 08:14 PM   #21
Larra Dragonrider
Inactive

ever try the
obernewyn chronicals by isobelle carmody

or the Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix?

*little-known austrailian authors*

or eragon (inheritance trilogy) by chrisopher paolini?
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 08:20 PM   #22
D'ana
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysrule
What's flowers for algernon about? I'm interested...
flowers for algernon was a play also, called charly...but its about this mentally retarded kid names charly and a lab mouse named algernon who undergo some phychological experiments which make them both smart. it's a good book, and short, and the beginning starts as though charly is speaking from before the experiments, so the spelling and grammer is bad and none of the words are more than 3 syllables...and then he starts learning things and the writing gets clearer. it'd probably take about 2 hours to read straight
Old Mar 22 2005, 11:51 PM   #23
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Thanks!! I'll read it when I finish the Pern and Freedom books. btw, are the Freedom books any good? Never read them, but they sound interesting...