A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Oct 11 2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Default Eurocon 2007 - long video clip of Anne reading

A long video clip of Anne reading the Ship who sang - just in case you have not seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xgJVAH54mQ

Enjoy!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Eurocon 2007 - long video clip of Anne reading

Thank you for sharing this film of yours Nina...seems we have the other ends of Anne's reading...to bad we can't all put them together, then we'd have the whole things...sigh!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2007, 01:36 PM   #3
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Thanks also for posting this video Nina.

Are the videos in different formats so they can't be pasted together? We'll need to organise ourselves at the next convention if we want the whole reading recorded.
Old Oct 13 2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

That suddenly makes me realize I should have taped a few minutes of Lanen reading...

Man, that was good! Even the Nebo deskclerk was listening breathless. And two persons coming in to the hotel lobby looked embarrassed, like they realized they almost interrupted something which Elizabeth didn't even notice as it was happening behind her back

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Sokar
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Star Wars: Legacy of the Force

Great video. Maybe if i can make the next one, I"ll do sme filming.. as i have a habit of doing.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, I most hearitly agree...Elizabeth's reading was breath taking with her very dramatic reading of *Song in the Silence* . She had us all listening completly entranced in the story ...even those who were present, that sadly hadn't yet read her stories. The only thing that would have been even better would have been if she could have read it all the way through . I sure wish she would read her own book tapes, they would be a giant hit for her...and us.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Oct 13 2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sokar, We did have Sara, and she did a marvelous job of taking some very lovely movies there.
It would have been wonderful to have also meet you in Copenhagen, but not just for your expertise with your camera, and all the films that you would have taken!!

Old Oct 13 2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Sokar
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Sokar, We did have Sara, and she did a marvelous job of taking some very lovely movies there.
It would have been wonderful to have also meet you in Copenhagen, but not just for your expertise with your camera, and all the films that you would have taken!!
Well if someone would like to keep my abreast of the next convention like this... I"ll see if I can go.

i'm veyr bad at keeping up to date with what's going in in forums, this one and others i'm involved with.
Old Oct 13 2007, 07:23 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hope to meet you sometime, especially if we get to another convention in Europe!!

Old Oct 13 2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Sokar
Inactive

i'd love to visit europe for a convention, would be a nice change from doing america all the time
Old Oct 14 2007, 06:23 AM   #11
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Next Eurocon is in Moscow!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2007, 06:27 AM   #12
Sokar
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Next Eurocon is in Moscow!
that's a bit to far for my limited budget... poor student and all
Old Oct 14 2007, 11:58 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Best prepare yourself for Eastercon 2009, Sokar. Write it down in your diary

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 14 2007, 01:22 PM   #14
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
That suddenly makes me realize I should have taped a few minutes of Lanen reading...

Man, that was good! Even the Nebo deskclerk was listening breathless. And two persons coming in to the hotel lobby looked embarrassed, like they realized they almost interrupted something which Elizabeth didn't even notice as it was happening behind her back
Thanks Hans. I can't wait for Lanen to read that.
Old Oct 14 2007, 01:26 PM   #15
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Hans, I most hearitly agree...Elizabeth's reading was breath taking with her very dramatic reading of *Song in the Silence* . She had us all listening completly entranced in the story ...even those who were present, that sadly hadn't yet read her stories. The only thing that would have been even better would have been if she could have read it all the way through . I sure wish she would read her own book tapes, they would be a giant hit for her...and us.
Thanks for that too Lady Maelin . I wish the Eurocon organisers had got their act together sufficiently to include an Elizabeth Kerner reading onto the programme. Maybe next time...
Old Oct 14 2007, 01:51 PM   #16
Sokar
Inactive

Quote:
Best prepare yourself for Eastercon 2009, Sokar. Write it down in your diary
EasterCon?

Hm... well if this is the one... as it stands... hte current guest list has no one of interest to me... unless we're gathering there.
Old Oct 14 2007, 02:49 PM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Did I mention the guest list, Sokar?

Old Oct 14 2007, 03:50 PM   #18
Sokar
Inactive

Quote:
Did I mention the guest list, Sokar?
nope. but i had a look at the three authors listed i've not heard of
Old Oct 14 2007, 04:03 PM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Is there a loose plan to try and get a MoM gather together again at Eastercon 2009??? It does sound wonderful to try do it again, somewhere!!!

Old Oct 14 2007, 04:08 PM   #20
Sokar
Inactive

if there was a be a gathering, I'd love to go.. but the only real priviso, would be that some of the other guests... i'm assumign more will be added with a year and a bit to go.... who i've heard of or have interest in...

I don't mind going to meet up with friends, but if it's at a convention, id' rather there be guests of interest as well...

Does that make sense?

I know I'm not having to travel that far, as compared to america...
Old Oct 14 2007, 04:18 PM   #21
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Hans, Lady Maelin - you two are so sweet! Thank you for those kind words. And no, I didn't notice what was happening behind me - I feel rather sorry for the folks who were trying to check in, it must have been rather awkward for them!

In fact I didn't notice much. I was more or less transported back to when I was writing the passage I was reading, and I just got caught up in it. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it. And thank you for letting me do so! How very kind you folks are...

Just need to get on now and let a few other folk have their say in Kolmar book 4.
Old Oct 14 2007, 04:36 PM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Write during the daytime and socialize in teh evening, dear Lanen?

We were all entranced, adn I;m not kidding, I saw my dear wife (who doesn't read fantasy no science fiction but only crime/thrillers etc. and that only in Dutch, not English though she understands it very well) enraptured by your reading, which really means something! Half the time I closed my eyes and merely listened but when I heard the clerk speak and couldn't help look in his direction (as said, behind your back) and the couple standing there

I thought that short reading was really special and, sorry to sound like a slobbering fan, you stating it brought you back to the time you were writing it make the occasion extra special.

It's like Steven says, you should have gotten a chance to read at the convention! But... even better would be having you reading at an English Convention from a new book...

Old Oct 14 2007, 07:19 PM   #23
sjslack
Inactive

Now Reading: as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
Hans, Lady Maelin - you two are so sweet! Thank you for those kind words. And no, I didn't notice what was happening behind me - I feel rather sorry for the folks who were trying to check in, it must have been rather awkward for them!

In fact I didn't notice much. I was more or less transported back to when I was writing the passage I was reading, and I just got caught up in it. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it. And thank you for letting me do so! How very kind you folks are...

Just need to get on now and let a few other folk have their say in Kolmar book 4.

-Minorly disliked you for a half a second for stopping reading- xDD

It did work well to 'envelop' the listeners into the world. I actually remember exactly what happened in the passage you read...which doesn't happen often for me. -Nodnod-
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2007, 07:57 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post

I don't mind at all sounding like a *Slobering Fan*
But really Lanen...*THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME DO SO!!!*...
My lord ELizabeth, I would have paid very good money for that priviledge of hearing you read from your book. I will happily remember it too... when you are much more popular author whose attention is dearly sought after, and we are all trying to get onto a list for one of your round table discussion groups just to hear you speak again.
I will cherish the the memory of you reading, for the rest of my days...and the way you captured everyone that was there and brought them into the wonderful world of Kolmar.
Someday some of us will be very happy to be listening to you once again read one of your stories in person...and not just on one... of your hopefully some day to be... book tapes (which would also be a true treat).
Your *Star* is rising my friend, and someday there will be troops of *Drooling, slobbering fans for you to talk to and who will do almost anything to listen to you speak about your wonderful world and the characters that live there.

Old Oct 15 2007, 05:58 AM   #25
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Wish I could go but there's not many con's in Australia and the last one I remember going to was about 12-14 years ago in Melbourne and I was too late to really get into any of the good stuff like Star Trek etc, to really participate in. Urghh! Green with envy!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote