A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Apr 22 2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader
Default Re: Anne GoH at Eurocon 2007 in Denmark!

I noticed that the hotel that Hans and some others of you has booked is Istedgade. You might want to know in advance that this street is the place where most of the sex-shops are and that it is reputed to be where prostitutes and drug-addicts hang out. It should be quite save if you don't act stupid and your hotel is really close to the main station.
The main station has three entrances and one of them is turned toward Isedgade. Some years ago they started playing classical music at that entrance to avoid the drunks and addicts to hang out at this entrance. I don't know if they still play the music or if it helped.
Since I moved to Germany I have noticed how 'not-nice' the Main Station has become. The last time I was in Denmark waiting for a train, a drunk walked past me yelling somtheing and smashed his glass bottle on the side of the trash can I was standing next to. He was only about 20 cm from hitting me in the head with his bottle. I was of course a bit shocked, but I should have paid a bit more attention and avoiding being in his path in the first place. Copenhagen is normally a quite safe place, as long as you don't actively do something stupid.

As I've said before - if you have any questions about Denmark/Copenhagen, just ask.

As a tourist you fx. always wonder how big a tip to give. In Denmark the taxes are so hight (VAT is 25%) and service is included in the price, so you are actually not expected to leave a tip. In taxi cabs it actually says on a sign not to tip because it's included.

You should also take notice of the bicycle paths. I'm sure Hans and his wife are used to bicycles zooming past, but when going from the sidewalk crossing the bicyclepath to take the bus you should remember to check and see if a bicycle is coming towards you.

Only 5 months to go now!
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26 2007, 12:45 PM   #2
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Default Re: Anne GoH at Eurocon 2007 in Denmark!

It's very easy to take the train from the airport to the main station.
We still haven't decided if we are coming a week before or staying a week after. If we are not arriving on the 20th ourselves, I might be able to meet with some of you and help you find your way around.

The thing to do is to buy a 'klippekort' - it's a 10 trip ticket. You will need one for 2 zones for going between the hotel and Eurocon. I think it's 3 zones to go from the airport, but I can't remember for sure. It might cost the same to use two stamps on the 2-zones ticket to buying a one way 3 zones-trip.

As we get nearer to september and more of us know when and where we will be arriving, I'm sure we can figure something out.

Just remember to be prepaired to spend a lot of money. Denmark is not a cheap country.
Old Sep 2 2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Default Tips on beeing a tourist in Copenhagen

Eurocon 2007 is getting pretty close now, so I thought I would get started on giving my fellow MoM'ers a few tips on beeing a tourist in Copenhagen.

I guess the main worry a tourist can have is beeing confused about how you get around with the public transportation system, so I'll start with that.

If any of you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
Old Sep 2 2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Tips on beeing a tourist in Copenhagen

Do you think we should buy one of those train or bus passes, that are pre-paid. Or should we just get a pocked full of Danish coins to use...which would be better to use while we are there???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Thanks for doing this for us Nef, as a largely un-travelled American I'm getting nervous.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2007, 11:09 AM   #6
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Thanks Nef...^^

Knowing me I'd just go ad hope for the best. I guess trusting my good luck to hold out overseas isn't always the wise option. ^^;
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Default Public transportation in Copenhagen

Busses and trains in Copenhagen all use the same ticketing system. Copenhagen and the surrounding areas are divided into zones. The centre of Copenhagen is zone 1 and Eurocon is situated in zone 2.

Here is a map of the train lines and the zones: picture taken from here

The cheapest way to get around is to buy a klippekort (clip card).
Here you see a 2-zone card and a 3-zone card:

There is 10 clips on a card and you stamp it in a machine before you get on a train or as you enter a bus. If you already have a valid stamped klippekort, you hold up your klippekort for the busdriver to see as you enter the bus. You always enter a bus at the front and leave the bus from the other doors.

A clip on a klippekort is valid for 1 hour. Even if you are only traveling around in one zone you you have to pay for two zones. You can stay on the bus even if the time for you clip is up as long as it was valid when you got on the train/bus.

For a 2-zone clip you can travel in all the zones that are 2 zones away, counting the zone you begin in as the first zone. For a 3-zone clip you can travel in all the zones that are 3 zones away, counting the zone you begin in as the first zone. And so forth.

On the webpage www.rejseplanen.dk you can type in when and where you want to go, and it will suggest a way for you to get there. In the upper right corner you can choose your language.

If e.g. you are going from Hotel Nebo to Eurocon you can take the bus no. A1 going towards Avedøre st. from the stop at Tietgensgade and then get off at Toftegårds Plads.

Or you can take a train from the main station to Valby station. The lines that stop at Valby station are:
B and B+ towards Høje Taastrup
C towards Ballerup
H and H+ towards Frederikssund

Old Sep 2 2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Default Getting to Copenhagen from the airport

Your first main concern will of course be getting to yor hotel from the airport. (Unless of course you are Hans and will be driving).

You actually shuoldn't be concerned at all, since it is really easy to find and take a train from the airport to Copenhagen main station.

I've drawn up a very rough map of how to find the train at the airport:

When you walk out from the area where you collected your luggage, you just walk straight ahead and you can't miss the place where you can buy tickets for the trains. The tracks for the trains are a down a level. I usually take the escalator but I'm pretty sure there is a lift also.
The trains run fairly often (every 10 or 20 minutes), and it only takes 13 minutes from the airport to the main station.

You'll want to go down to the tracks towards Copenhagen, which in Danish is called København.
If you take a train from the wrong track you'll end up in Sweden!

It is 3 zones from the airport to copenhagen main station.

You might want to buy a klippekort already at the airport, since it is more expensive to travel if you just pay for a fare at a time.

One 2-zone klippekort costs 120 kr. (that's 12 kr. per clip then)
One single fare for 2 zones costs 19 kr.
One single fare for 3 zones costs 28,50 kr.

If two persons are traveling from the airport to the main station you can stamp 3 times on the 2-zone klippekort.
If one person is traveling alone from the airport it is still cheaper to stamp 2 times on a 2-zone klippekort (thus paying for a zone too much), since that will be 4,50 kr. cheaper than paying for a single fare ticket.

I'm pretty sure there will be signs to guide you towards the trains (it's a 2 minutes walk), but just in case you were wondering how to say 'train' in Danish: train is called tog and is pronounced like tow (to tow a car).

Old Sep 2 2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Do you think we should buy one of those train or bus passes, that are pre-paid. Or should we just get a pocked full of Danish coins to use...which would be better to use while we are there???
It's a lot cheaper to buy the 10-trip klippekort that to buy a single fare every time you travel. And also a lot easier than handling money every time you want to take a bus.

You of course don't want to get stuck with an almost unused klippekort, but when you leave Denmark, for you and Martin to go back to the airport it's 3 clips on a 2-zone klippekort, which equals 36 kr. for you to pay for two single fares to the airport it would be 57 kr.

One single fare around Copenhagen would be 19 kr.
One clip on the 2-zone klippekort equals 12 kr.
Old Sep 2 2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW!! Ane, this is fantastic... you have got this all laid out so well that it is very easy to see where we will need to go and what train to take.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help all of us *New to Copenhagen Traveler's*.

Where did you get such great maps...mine are not near as clear...do you have one that show the whole route from the hotel to Valby Station...and one that shows how to get from the Valby Train stop on to the Valby Kulturhus where Eurocon will be held???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Sep 2 2007, 02:40 PM   #11
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

The map is from www.maps.google.com
I took a screen shot and added the red text with the picture editing program called IrfanView (which is free to download from the internet).

I'll be happy to make a few maps like that showing you where the busstop in Valby is and things like that. But it could be a few days before I get around to doing it.
Old Sep 2 2007, 03:56 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you...if and when you have time...that would be very helpful to all of us I think.

Old Sep 11 2007, 01:07 PM   #13
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Default Danish money

I always find it difficult to use forreign money when traveling, so I thought some of you might want to prepare yourself for handling the Danish coins and bank notes.

The Danish currency is called krone (means crown). In plural it's kroner. Krone is abreviated kr. - 1 krone equals 100 øre (means ear).

I unfortunately can't take pictures of the money, since I live in Germany and don't have loads of Danish money lying around. So I decided to do the next best think and link to the Danish National Bank.

Click here to read about the bank notes

Click here to read about the coins

When reading about the coins, click in the menu list to the left for each coin to see a separate picture of each coin.

I'll advise against taking travelers checks with you would have to pay a fee every time you go to the bank to exchange them. Most stores and cafés take Visa, bigger stores also usually accept Master card. You would probably have to find an ATM to get cash if you rely on an American Express card.

Old Sep 11 2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Default Re: Eurocon - Travel/tourist info

Ane, thank you so much once again for doing all of this research for us. Thank to you I know how to get us to the train, and what a travel pass looks like and that we really want one...
Also all your advice for traveling in Copenhagen will help for it to be a much more enjoyable trip for all of us I'm sure. We are so looking forward to meeting you and your husband Anders...along with all the rest of our happily gathering group!!!

P.S. I have downloaded all your helpfull post to put in a travel folder that I am bringing with us...I certainly don't want to depend on my terrible memory to get us there...LOL!!!

Old Sep 11 2007, 02:10 PM   #15
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

I've discovered the My-Map feature on google-maps and have now created a Eurocon related map.

Click here to see it

Let me know if I should add anything else to the map.

Old Sep 11 2007, 02:38 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh that is a fantastic map...Thank you!! The way you've put the walk route on the map...you said it's about 2.5 miles for a walk...if we did walk it on one of the days...would it take us by any shops to look at or good resturants to eat in???

Old Sep 11 2007, 02:44 PM   #17
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

I didn't put down the straightes route from Nebo since you might want to meet up with Sara and walk. And the walking route that I have shown is definitely a route where you will walk by loads of shops and restaurants.

But maybe it would also be a good idea for me to put a marker on Strøget, which is the shopping street in Copenhagen where it's closed for cars, and tons of shops lie next to each other.

Edit: I've now added the shopping street 'Strøget' to the map.
Old Sep 11 2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OH that would be lovely...also do you know of any good but not to expencive places to eat that you would suggest, where we could all get together for our MoM dinner???

Old Sep 11 2007, 02:51 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Nef, how are restaurants prices compared to e.g. Germany?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11 2007, 02:54 PM   #20
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Hmm... eating out... I don't think I can recommend anything specific. It's been 3 years since I moved to Germany, and when I went out to eat it was usually in the part of Copenhagen called Nørrebro - you are closer to the part called Vesterbro. My husband did use to go to an indian restaurant, but I think it has closed now.

There should be quite a selection of cheap restaurants near Nebo - have a look along the street Vesterbrogade, there should be quite a few cheap restaurants there, I would think.
Old Sep 11 2007, 03:01 PM   #21
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Nef, how are restaurants prices compared to e.g. Germany?
I would say eating out in Denmark costs about the same as in Germany. Which is , if I'm not to much mistaking, around the same price as in the Netherlands.

Tax in Denmark is 25% and is always included.

You don't leave a tip at restaurants or in cabs.

I'm sure Americans find Denmark a bit on the expensive side. A pizza in a pizzeria is, if I remember correctly, around 40 kr. ( = 5,30 euro). In a restaurant it would probably cost about twice as much.
Old Sep 11 2007, 03:27 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

In my case its great to know that you have pizza in Copenhagen..LOL as for the prices it is a bit higher...but it doesn't seem to hediously high, but Im not use to the money exchange from the Danish kr. to the U.S. dollar.

Old Sep 14 2007, 04:35 PM   #23
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Thanks for all this useful information, Nef. I have printed a lot of it to take with me. It's always useful to be forewarned when travelling somewhere unknown.

See you next week!