A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Nov 28 2004, 02:13 PM   #1
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3
Default 19th century sf authors

This thread is meant for discussing authors who at least started to write in the 1800s, and who wrote science-fiction, loosely defined. I'm re-reading Verne's Vingt mille lieues sous les mers (20 000 leagues under the sea), and that inspired me to start this thread.

Mary Shelley
Jules Verne
H. G. Wells

I'm sure there are others.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 04:07 PM   #2
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: 19th century sf authors

While I like those three... most of the authors from that era that I read aren't even losely SF
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 04:24 PM   #3
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

True enough. It's great to know that stories written so long ago are still readable. Although I must say that I found Frankenstein tough going.
Old Nov 28 2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Vilkacis
Inactive

Verne has to be one of my favourites, I got hooked when I read his Journey to the Centre of the Earth. The guy was way ahead of his literary and literal time

Also Wells', the Island of Dr Moreau and the Invisible Man - WOW! When you consider when these books were written some of the ides in them are just astounding!
Vilkacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 09:30 AM   #5
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilkacis
Verne has to be one of my favourites, I got hooked when I read his Journey to the Centre of the Earth. The guy was way ahead of his literary and literal time

Also Wells', the Island of Dr Moreau and the Invisible Man - WOW! When you consider when these books were written some of the ides in them are just astounding!
Take a good look at the art work of diVInci? Or was it Michangelo? One of them had DETAILED plans drawn for gliders and a type of helecopter! CENTURIES before the Wright Brothers.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 09:36 AM   #6
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Take a good look at the art work of diVInci? Or was it Michangelo? One of them had DETAILED plans drawn for gliders and a type of helecopter! CENTURIES before the Wright Brothers.
Leonardo DaVinci was the inventor.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 06:22 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
Leonardo DaVinci was the inventor.
and Hooke and someone else was planning to send a rocket to the moon in the time of Charles II (17th century) built of copper!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 06:45 PM   #8
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I've only read The Time Machine, but I remember liking it when I hadn't expected to...At that point, I hadn't liked an of the older books I'd read and expected more of the same.
Very interesting book.

Oh, didn't Verne or someone predict 28th century computers or something? I think I remember reading that, but never found the story...

Did read part of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but never finished it.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is one of my fav
Old Nov 29 2004, 10:33 PM   #10
Jesserli
Inactive

I was never a fan of The Time Machine, and I don't particularly consider it science fiction - there isn't an ounce of actual science in it. Verne however, I adore. His books are detailed and unique. The only thing I wish is that in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea... he would STOP cataloguing all the fish! Once or twice to make a point is okay, but when he dedicated pages on end to listing the fish they saw... ugh. It was boring and time consuming.
Jesserli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 04:53 AM   #11
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Try reading the catalogs in French! They're very poetic in a way, and integral to the work, but there could be a bit less nouns in the book I agree. Especially as I don't know the fish in any other language, so the lists could only be interesting to a fisherman or an ichtyologist. :o
Old Nov 30 2004, 03:50 PM   #12
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

I enjoyed both The Time Machine and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Those are the only 2 from that era that I've read. I keep meaning to read Frankenstein but for some reason never do. I think the next trip to the book store that will be on my list

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23 2004, 04:01 PM   #13
Sandi

I need some help jogging the old gray cells. Many years ago I read a story that I believe was Verne involving a planet that almost collided with earth and some people got swept up onto it and eventually parachuted back to earth. Silly, I know but I was a kid at the time and I loved it. It could have been Wells, I suppose, but I don't think so. As I remember it was in a book of collected short stories or maybe novellas. Anyone remember a story like this?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17 2005, 07:14 AM   #14
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi
I need some help jogging the old gray cells. Many years ago I read a story that I believe was Verne involving a planet that almost collided with earth and some people got swept up onto it and eventually parachuted back to earth. Silly, I know but I was a kid at the time and I loved it. It could have been Wells, I suppose, but I don't think so. As I remember it was in a book of collected short stories or maybe novellas. Anyone remember a story like this?
Off On A Comet by Jules Verne
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17 2005, 08:29 AM   #15
Flinx
Linyaari

For anyone who is a fan of Jules Verne I would recommend that you give Captain Nemo: The Fantastic History Of A Dark Genius by K J Anderson a try.

It takes the premise that Nemo was a real person who retells his childhood friend Verne about his various adventures around the world, which Verne then rewrote as his novels.

What I liked about it was that Anderson used the names of various major characters from Verne's novels for different characters in his story. An example is Passepartout, in the novel this is the name that Nemo & Verne's friend uses as a non de plume to have her music published under.

Two characters who stayed the same were Arne Saknussemm & Phileas Fogg. I had a good laugh at the meeting between Nemo & Fogg.

I've only read a couple of Verne's novels so I probably missed some other inside jokes.

Flinx
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18 2005, 02:45 PM   #16
Brenda

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World is one of my favorite books, about finding a plateau in the Amazon which is cut off from the rest of the continent and where dinosaurs still live... and getting trapped there...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote