A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 12 2010, 10:29 AM   #1
bingley
Inactive

Angry ebook rant

What is the bloody point of ebooks if they are only downloadable in the US and Canada? I want to get some of the Pern books I don't have yet but I can't because I don't live in the right country. Doesn't Anne want readers in other countries? No wonder piracy is flourishing if piracy is the only way to buy things.
bingley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 12:27 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: ebook rant

Anne, like most authors, would, I'm sure, love everybody everwhere to be able to access all her books.

Blame the publishers protecting their own interests.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 01:41 PM   #3
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

It might be more a case of the publishers only being able to make available books in those countries where they have the rights.
Old May 12 2010, 09:17 PM   #4
bingley
Inactive

Whatever the excuse, if they don't make the books (or music) available through legitimate channels, it is hypocritical to then complain about piracy.
Old May 12 2010, 09:27 PM   #5
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingley View Post
Whatever the excuse, if they don't make the books (or music) available through legitimate channels, it is hypocritical to then complain about piracy.
No pun plotbubby on still and such?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 12:23 AM   #6
bingley
Inactive

I'm sorry, Ginny, but I don't understand.
Old May 13 2010, 02:13 AM   #7
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingley View Post
I'm sorry, Ginny, but I don't understand.
A plot bunny is an idea for stories writing, I was thinking somethink like illegal stills for making brews, and selling them to those who can't make them.

piracy holdless taking away a order of wine/beer being transported by traders.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old May 13 2010, 04:47 AM   #8
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Ginny, what you're thinking of, should be in a seperate thread. If you're thinking of a story on piracy, illegal stills etc then by all means, write the story and put it up BUT I think Bingley means that living in countries where publishers only sell certain books, cds, dvds etc and he can't get them in his own country, he wonders why publishers complain about piracy where someone bootlegs the copy and sells it as a commodity on the black market. It isn't fair on the author or publisher or movie-makers, I realise that but it is a sad fact of life for those trying to make a legal wage on their copyrights etc .

Bingley, you do realise that there are people who can purchase the legal copy in those countries and have it sent to you? One only has to ask nicely and someone will surely help you out with it. I've found this beneficial and have either exchanged books or paid via paypal the costs of said book and postage (either purchasing off them or vice versa, someone wanted one of my books) that both sides have been quite happy after the transaction. Give it a try and see what happens...

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 05:26 AM   #9
starbuck
Inactive

Fan of: DragonRiders of Pern

There is no demand - there is no offer. It's sad. I dream to buy many years People of Pern, the Atlas and some other books - but is not present possibility. Has casually found on one Russian site Gift of Dragons, but it costs very expensively - I will save money
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 05:59 AM   #10
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

There is a U.K. copy of A Gift of Dragons going for £8.08 + £2.50 for packing & postage (currently 476 roubles).

There is also a copy of Atlas of Pern going for £3.99 + £5.00 for packing & postage (about 405 roubles)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old May 13 2010, 06:17 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

What king of ebooks were you looking at, bingley? I'm in The Netherlands and never had trouble?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 06:22 AM   #12
bingley
Inactive

Oh sure, I could order the book from Amazon and have it shipped over here, but I resent having to pay the postage when it's technically feasible to download it, thus saving postage and unnecessary use of the planet's resources.

@Hans. I was hoping to get the ones I haven't got so far, such as A Gift of Dragons and Skies of Pern.
Old May 13 2010, 06:25 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Again, tell me where you were and for what you were looking please? I understand you want a dowload.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 13 2010, 06:31 AM   #14
bingley
Inactive

I'm in Jakarta, and I want A Gift of Dragons and The Skies of Pern.
Old May 13 2010, 07:19 AM   #15
starbuck
Inactive

Fan of: DragonRiders of Pern

P'ter О_О Where you have found such prices?
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 11:09 PM   #16
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Indonesia's not that far from OZ although I'm unable to help out with cd's or download-able content as I only have "The gift of dragons" on cd and it's the only copy, I have with me. But if I'm able to help out, I'll try my bestest.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 03:16 AM   #17
bingley
Inactive

Thanks for the offer, Jube. I suspect I'll have to wait till someone is coming out here from America and ask them to bring me the actual books.
Old May 14 2010, 01:57 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm looking into your problem, Bingley, but a little too busy right now. I Am looking into uet though!

Old May 14 2010, 05:52 PM   #19
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Indonesia's not that far from OZ although I'm unable to help out with cd's or download-able content as I only have "The gift of dragons" on cd and it's the only copy, I have with me. But if I'm able to help out, I'll try my bestest.
ebook or audio?

Quote:
Yesterday 03:59 AM
P'ter
Re: ebook rant
There is a U.K. copy of A Gift of Dragons going for £8.08 + £2.50 for packing & postage (currently 476 roubles). <sinp> any different from the USA copy? P'ter

There is also a copy of Atlas of Pern going for £3.99 + £5.00 for packing & postage (about 405 roubles)
I'm looking for a copy of one, I've might have found a way one I've got the book to make so I can see it. More later.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old May 14 2010, 09:31 PM   #20
bingley
Inactive

Thanks, Hans.
Old May 15 2010, 02:59 AM   #21
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Ginny: there's about four (book) copies of Gift of Dragons for sale on e-bay. That one had the best combination of price and P&P to Russia.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 15 2010, 05:32 AM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Bingley, I checked with fictionwise.com (A Barnes & Noble company) and here's what they have on their website:

An eBook I wanted to buy has Geographic Restrictions. What's that?

Due to the way eBook contracts are written, there are times when a particular eBook has geographic restrictions. This means we cannot legally sell the eBook to people who live in certain countries. Books that have this kind of restriction are marked on their description page, in the information area there will be a list of countries allowed or not allowed to purchase the eBook. Please note that USA residents can buy every single one of our titles. Canadian residents can buy all but a very tiny handful of titles.

How do you determine what country a customer is in?

We look at the billing country of your credit card to determine your location.

What countries does this affect?

The majority of our eBooks can be purchased by anyone in the world. All multiformat eBooks are unrestricted, for example. Every single eBook we sell can be sold to residents of the USA. Almost all of them can be sold to residents of Canada.
Fewer than ten percent of our titles are restricted in any way. In most cases the restrictions are for European countries or Australia, but in some cases the restrictions can be quite complicated and affect many different regions. The eBook's description page will list any restrictions.

Why do publishers make these kinds of restrictions? Don't they want to sell eBooks?

The paper book business has always had the notion of being able to sell the rights of a particular book to different publishers by geographic region. Although we would tend to agree that this notion is outdated in the world of the Internet and eBooks, the fact is those contracts are still in force. If publishers do not take steps to ensure their eBook sales are adhering to the terms of those contracts, they are subject to legal action from whatever other publisher has licensed the rights to the eBook in other countries. Effectively, the publisher's hands are tied. As such, they require us to enforce these restrictions. If we did not obey the publisher's wishes, the publisher would withdraw the eBooks from sale on our web site for all customers.

Aren't you discriminating against certain countries by doing this?

We are legally bound to restrict sale of titles that have these limitations to the allowed countries. If we did not, we would lose the eBooks and nobody would be able to buy them from us. We don't like it any more than you do, believe us when we tell you that. It causes us not only to lose sales, but also to get complaints from customers, and we like to keep our customers happy.

Should I complain to the Publisher of the eBook?

No. The problem is that the rights to these eBooks is not held by a single publisher. In some countries it might be one publisher, in another country a completely different publisher. The publisher who gives us the right to sell the eBook only has the right to grant us that for customers who live in the geographic region their contract covers.

What is Fictionwise doing to resolve this situation?

Fictionwise is working with our suppliers and publishers to set up a system whereby we run multiple storefronts in different countries. Once we have this system in place, we should be able to sell eBooks that have these kinds of restrictions to many more areas. We would deliver the correct country version of each such eBook in a way that makes sure the correct geographic rights holder gets paid for the eBook. That's ultimately what people care about. We are trying to make this as transparent to our customers as possible. But it is a complex problem because it deals with issues like tarifs, VAT taxes, currency conversions, and other issues involving multiple parties.

So, that (publisher's restriction as to rights and copyrights) is the reason for you not being able to buy the ebook you want from the country you are in.

Old May 15 2010, 06:51 AM   #23
bingley
Inactive

We must have been looking at the same seller, Hans, though I found it under the name eReader. At any rate, it had exactly the same explanation, word for word. I understand the explanation, I just don't think it's acceptable. As a friend of mine puts it, more and more is becoming available online to fewer and fewer people.
Old May 15 2010, 01:06 PM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

The owner of ereader is also Barnes & Noble.

You can find it's not acceptable but the seller (as the text explains) can't do anything about it. It is the publisher defending the author's rights. It simply seems a case of certain country's publishing houses not wanting to publish or pay or the books *shrug* No contract = no money = no booksales. Which I find understandable.

On the other hand, somebody could and should be able to make a gift of the ebooks to you!

I agree with you that the situation with ebooks isn't clear and not nice for the customer, after all, you do pay for the ebook and the author gets his/her money because you actually buy the book in the country the seller is located (USA in this case).

Frustrating indeed and not fair at all.

Old May 23 2010, 08:17 AM   #25
bingley
Inactive

Yay, I found an ebook seller who sells to Indonesia. They were advertising on FB. For those with similar problems, their website is http://www.ebooks.com/

So, I now have A Gift of Dragons. Hopefully I'll better understand Renegades since it was obvious there was a back story there I was missing out on.
Old May 23 2010, 04:42 PM   #26
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Just to bookmark this thread!

Addition to my own ebooks questions

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote