A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 15 2008, 09:21 PM   #1
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Red fruit [split]

Red fruid grows in tree not on the ground so they can not be strawberries.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15 2008, 11:31 PM   #2
T'mynn
Inactive

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern
Default Re: Pernese versus Terran terms

Thanks Perafictionado.:-D That's what I was thinking of, althouhg IMHO hot pcokets don't taste very good compared to a home made sweet pocket pie(Or mini pie.).

Nearly molton hot filling that'll thicken if the pie is left to cool. No self respecting kid or adult is going to let those things cool.:-P Like that little boy demonstraited, those things are too darn good to leave to cool. It's against the code.:-)

Maybe Red Fruit is either an apple type or a Dragon Fruit. It is a oblong-ish red fruit with spiny things, a white interioir with LOTS of tiny blacks seeds inside which can be eaten.

Not raspberries, cuz they're bushes.:-/ <rubs chin>
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15 2008, 11:31 PM   #3
T'mynn
Inactive

Default Red fruit [split]

Maybe Red Fruit is either an apple type or a Dragon Fruit. It is a oblong-ish red fruit with spiny things, a white interioir with LOTS of tiny blacks seeds inside which can be eaten.

Not raspberries, cuz they're bushes.:-/ <rubs chin>

Last edited by Cheryl; Sep 18 2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: topic moved from inside another, snipped to relevant part
Old Sep 16 2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Brenda

I always picture something like a mango for redfruit.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16 2008, 05:06 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Redfruit is indigenous to Pern - it's definitely not a terran import. The best descriptions of it are probably in Dragonsinger and Dragonsdawn.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16 2008, 08:24 AM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I have usually envisaged 'red-fruit' as a blood-orange type of thingy.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16 2008, 02:22 PM   #7
T'mynn
Inactive

Mangos are sooo goooood. Pappayas are too, I think the seeds of one fo these cna be eaten, they've a peppery flavor.

Can a description of a Red Fruit be transfered here? I might be able to figure a close approximation of it. Doe sit describe skin. Colouration, is it peeled or eaten with skin. Internal colouration, texture, seeds inside or outside. What type of seeds, tony apple-like seeds, or smaller like stawberry sized

I don't have I've read most of them except the ones written from 2000 on. May not be a bad idea to have a Pern AMC book pass around.
Old Sep 16 2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Probably the papaya then, T, mango seeds are definitely not eaten!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16 2008, 04:20 PM   #9
T'mynn
Inactive

Greenrider Tresa,
You can call me T'Mynn, or Mynn I couldn't get the loggin to accept T'Mynn as the first name, the other is the surrname. The laccount creation program wasn't going to let me put the apostraphe were I wanted it.:-/

Well then Papaya seeds are the peppery one. mango has that massive pit . (Never eat that anyway.)
Old Sep 17 2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

All right, and I usually go by Tresa in the forums, as I think there are two others that use Greenrider in their screenanems.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2008, 03:08 PM   #11
T'mynn
Inactive

Ok, Tresa it is. :-)

Sounds good to me.
Here's a question that's been rolling through my mind concerning Pern.
How much of a linguistic shift was there from their orginal English to the 'current' language after a 2500 year 'life span"?
Old Sep 17 2008, 03:33 PM   #12
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

GT: that's not counting all those in the Karen Brittain series

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Sep 17 2008, 03:56 PM   #13
T'mynn
Inactive

P'Ter, you mean all the GreenRiders?
Ok any consensus on the red fruit thing? How big is it? Small like a berry,(Raspberry) fist sized,(Apple, dragon fruit, orange) or quarter/2 penc size(Lychee nut.)
Old Sep 17 2008, 07:37 PM   #14
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

They are also talk about in Dragonsdawn, which Sorka is eating one and tossing away the bad part like wind-fall apples back on earth too, if I recall right. Just happen to be going over my back log of e-mail and seen this thread LOL

They are found down in warmer part of Pern for the Skies of Pern the Paradise River was providing young plants after the Fireball Flood.

Did F'nor pick on when they went south the first time?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2008, 09:56 PM   #15
Brenda

Well, we don't know if the red fruits that Sorka was gathering down in the southern continent are the same thing as the redfruits that are eaten up in the north.

I know in Dragonsinger, they have redfruit at dinner - a basket of 'oddly shaped fruit' - I'm pretty sure there was one per person, so probably apple-sized or maybe a little bigger. They are very succulent and juicy, and stained Menolly's tunic so that she had to wash it.

I imagine that the flesh as well as the skin is red, and that it is succulent like a peach. I assume that the fruit served at the Harper Hall was fairly fresh, in season, rather than stored like apples can be. I can see them being made into preserves and/or dried in order to store them.
Old Sep 17 2008, 10:02 PM   #16
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

For some reason, I have the mental image that redfruit is pear-shaped, with red insides that look and taste like a sweeter orange. Maybe with kiwi-like seeds.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2008, 10:05 PM   #17
T'mynn
Inactive

hmm sounds similar to a plum. Some of those are red skinned, red fleshed, can be made into preserves dried and are quite messy reaten fresh.
Old Sep 17 2008, 10:18 PM   #18
T'mynn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post
For some reason, I have the mental image that redfruit is pear-shaped, with red insides that look and taste like a sweeter orange. Maybe with kiwi-like seeds.
Sounds like it'd make a great marmalade.
Old Sep 18 2008, 02:23 AM   #19
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Just had a idea, Something about, some kind of flat bread or something on a sheet cooked over a oilbrush fire, with something inside to eat at an Igen Gather, for breakfast. RoP I think. Very eary in the book. First big gather of the Turn?

Also there is something bread with filling in CoP: After Red crossed the river and got wet, food was sent with the help. Books not at hand right now.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 18 2008, 07:56 AM   #20
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Well, we don't know if the red fruits that Sorka was gathering down in the southern continent are the same thing as the redfruits that are eaten up in the north.
Occam's razor says they are. Would Anne seriously introduce something as a 'red fruit' in Dragonsdawn if she meant it to be something different?
Old Sep 18 2008, 08:51 AM   #21
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Red fruit [split]

And didn't F'nor or Lessa comment on how the redfruits they found on their southern scouting trip were so much larger than the ones in the north? So, same fruit on both continentsn
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18 2008, 09:25 AM   #22
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Well that'd be like finding elephants in Africa and Asia - somewhere along the lines that the fruit's seeds was perhaps carried on the winds or if a firelizard picked one up as a plaything, went between, accidently dropped it and bingo, crops on both continents.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18 2008, 11:29 PM   #23
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I always pictured redfruit as kinda large, but not huge. Mango size, & real juicey. I also think it was sweet.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19 2008, 12:05 AM   #24
T'mynn
Inactive

Hmmm, then strickly only a Pernese species, unless the colonists had enough time to money about with the local fuana. If I were them I'd give a go, to make things produce faster abundantly and have longer bearing seasons for food stocking in readiness of threafall.
Old Sep 19 2008, 03:20 AM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

As a real oldbie and the official Master Archivist of both Anne's erstwhile website and bulletin board and the original Worlds of Anne McCaffrey Board, I can say this was one of the first, classic question to come up

I hunted down some info in the archive which I thought you might want to read. I have combined data from several Threads for this compilation.

Melissa wrote:
Quote:
Well, I think the redfruits are an adaptation of apples, but not the same thing. Over 2500 turns everything, from horses (runners) to language (proven by AIVIS and the dolphins) has adapted to Pern. So it holds true that the Terran apples would adapt to Pern's atmosphere and climate conditions and evolve into redfruit.
Lily wrote:
Quote:
Red fruits grew freely all over Pern, but more lusious in the tropical regions. I think they were a citrus of some kind, and native to Pern
Arwyn wrote:
Quote:
I always thought that redfruits are partacularly juicy apples (Like Gala apples) and tubers are potatoes. Piemur once mentions sweet tubers, which I assumed to be a yam or sweet potato.
Mallory wrote:
Quote:
I think redfruits are supposed to be apples, but i've always pictured them as sort of a cross between apples and oranges, with that squishy orangy stuff inside of it, only red
Steph wrote:
Quote:
Redfruits can't be apples. In DD Sorka is eating a redfruit, which was native to Pern. Settlers brought the apples with them. The refruits were already there.
Tabra wrote:
Quote:
I always thought redfruit were more like nectarines, myself. Yum!
BuddySmith wrote:
Quote:
I've always thought of redfruit as be like a mango or papya. Orangefruit as either orangesor grapefruit.
Posie wrote:
Quote:
I've always thought that the "winterfruit, ripe, instead of rotten," served to Lessa by F'lar in his weyr, was an apple, and a 'redfruit,' a type of citrus.
Lingi wrote:
Quote:
I think of redfruits as similar to tomatoes (because of various references to stickiness).
D'vek wrote:
Quote:
I've never thought of redfruits as apples, they're just too juicy. I think they are a citrusy fruit native to Pern.
Caroline wrote:
Quote:
I have always thought they were like the biggest, juiciest red plums imaginable but with no stone in the middle! Wish I had a redfruit tree in my garden....
Shirley wrote:
Quote:
Seems to me that since redfruits are native to Pern, and Sorka was enjoying one while sitting there.It must have triggered the memory of how she used to enjoy eating an apple. Not that the redfruit necessarily "tasted" like an apple.

and

Oh, I forgot, redfruits being so juicy and pulpy sounded alot like giant Navel oranges or Tangeloes except they were Red!
Habit wrote:
Quote:
I think that redfruit is a citrus, possibly a crossbreed, as is a tangelo. Sometimes they can be reddish, they are juicy, and have a bitter peel...sounds like the right thing to me.
Terra_D wrote:
Quote:
Are redfruits red on the inside or the outside? Some of the descriptions on this thread have me thinking of watermelons without rinds, growing on trees. . . yumm!

Amiliana wrote:
Quote:
I myself pictured a redfruit to be something like a necterine, larger than a plum, but still juicy.
Cheryl (yes, the same) wrote:
Quote:
I've always thought of redfruits having the consistancy of canning plums, very juicy and drippy, but in the shape of a pear. Apples definiely aren't juicy enough to match the descriptions in the books, but you'll find a lot of folks that do think apples are redfuits.

There's no way redfruit is apples, even the juiciest of apples won't drip down your chin. I think Anne was asked about this a few weeks ago in chat, and I'm pretty darn sure she confirmed they're not apples. Beyond that I can't remember for sure what she said, cause I can't separate my memory from my own impression of redfruit being like a plum inside.

and

Last time this came up for debate, we asked Anne in chat and learned it was something akin to a plum, I believe.
DragonHawk wrote:
Quote:
Redfruits are native to Pern so they can't be apples and I too remember Anne answering this question on the KTL. Believe she said they were more like plums than apples or oranges, but with my memory, I can't sure. However, I knoww they are not like apples. Especially since apples are crisp not "pulpy".
Laurel H wrote:
Quote:
Anne did say in the KTL that they are like a juicy plum, Cheryl, and I also remember them being indigenous to Pern, not imported by the colonists.
Nezyna wrote:
Quote:
Personally I think that redfruits are the most handy mess-making, squishy red ammunition that is used in the food fight cafeteria on KTL.
The Harper wrote:
Quote:
Redfruits seem to be an adaptation of Oranges being as I take redroots to mean carrots, Apples hmmm if you mean those artificial overblown tasteless red things you can but in supermarkets then i suppose they might be but who knows what does Anne herself say
Melissa wrote:
Quote:
Well, I think the redfruits are an adaptation of apples, but not the same thing. Over 2500 turns everything, from horses (runners) to language (proven by AIVIS and the dolphins) has adapted to Pern. So it holds true that the Terran apples would adapt to Pern's atmosphere and climate conditions and evolve into redfruit.
Lily wrote:
Quote:
Red fruits grew freely all over Pern, but more lusious in the tropical regions. I think they were a citrus of some kind, and native to Pern
Arwyn wrote:
Quote:
I always thought that redfruits are partacularly juicy apples (Like Gala apples) and tubers are potatoes. Piemur once mentions sweet tubers, which I assumed to be a yam or sweet potato.
Jozell wrote:
Quote:
I remember a discussion on redfruit here some time ago and think the end conclusion was a redfruit had a rind you could peel but was juicy like a plum in the middle. And they are native to Pern.
TheGeneralWeirdo wrote:
Quote:
I always think of redfruit as peaches. But then, being addicted to peaches, I'm biased ;-)
LaGriffeduDragon wrote:
Quote:
I know it's odd, but I've always thought of redfruits as a type of sweet tomato. I suppose I'm odd!
Kristalynn wrote:
Quote:
I wondered that too. I think everybody has their own idea of what redfruit is. In my mind I see redfruit as a type of citrus. Almost like Ruby Red Grapefruit, but sweeter, and with a deep Orangy-Pink hue.
hopper wrote:
Quote:
I always saw redfruit as being like a peach or apricot except for being a deep red color and not fuzzy.
TwoHawks wrote:
Quote:
I always thought of red fruit as like a big red tangy pear
Steph wrote:
Quote:
I bet they taste like Dragonfruit. Yes, it's real. If you can get Snapple drinks where you are, try the one called "Fire" that is bright red and comes in a big bottle. I think that would be a good bet for the taste of redfruit, and if you don't agree, you have to admit that it's kind of a neat name for a fruit.
IanSF wrote:
Quote:
I'd always pictured a redfruit like a mango, a plum being too small. Both have got a similar texture and 'juiciness'. Still, can't argue with the boss.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19 2008, 12:58 PM   #26
T'mynn
Inactive

Cool, during the earier part of this with everyone's descriptions, I'd stated some plums here are red inside and outside and very juicy and messy. I'd eaten some in Alaska. So finding out from the posting Hans made, including Anne's chat info it was right. Very cool.
Old Sep 20 2008, 04:35 AM   #27
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

T Mynn Enz, you're thinking of blood plums or satsuma plums which both have red coloured fruit on the inside with a purplish/red skin. I have blood plums in my backyard. Hence being able to answer that statement of yours

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2008, 08:38 AM   #28
Thea
Inactive

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

It's funny, but until I read this thread I had always envisioned the redfruits as being similar to mangos, but it does make sense to be like a plum.
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2008, 02:55 PM   #29
T'mynn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
T Mynn Enz, you're thinking of blood plums or satsuma plums which both have red coloured fruit on the inside with a purplish/red skin. I have blood plums in my backyard. Hence being able to answer that statement of yours

Exactly .
There's a lot of strange fruit and veggie hybreds that'd make great fruit bowl displays at a convention.
Old Sep 21 2008, 07:54 PM   #30
Brenda

"Oddly shaped," though... maybe a pear-shaped plum-like fruit?
Old Sep 22 2008, 02:44 AM   #31
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

They seem quite substantial, so I'm guessing they'd be bigger than plums - large apple/pear sized is plausible. Still, you need to give it a reason for an odd shape - what do we know about the interior of redfruits? Do they have stones? Pith? Pips?
Old Sep 22 2008, 03:42 PM   #32
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Could it be the Pernese version of an 'ugly fruit'?

C. S. Lewis

Old Sep 22 2008, 10:44 PM   #33
Brenda

Why is a pear shaped differently from an apple?
Old Sep 22 2008, 10:51 PM   #34
T'mynn
Inactive

What is an "Ugly Fruit"?

I don't know why a pear is shaped as it is. it's seds are shaped simialrly to an apple's but are edible.
Old Sep 23 2008, 05:05 AM   #35
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mynn Enz View Post
What is an "Ugly Fruit"?

I don't know why a pear is shaped as it is. it's seds are shaped simialrly to an apple's but are edible.
The structure surrounding the seeds is different though, right?
Old Sep 23 2008, 08:25 AM   #36
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

A starfruit is an oddly shaped fruit...maybe the Pernese redfruit is a similarly odd shape
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23 2008, 08:44 AM   #37
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Quote:
An ugli fruit is a citrus fruit created by hybridizing a grapefruit (or pomelo according to some sources) and a tangerine[citation needed]. Its species is Citrus reticulata x Citrus paradisi.

It was discovered growing wild in Jamaica where it is mainly grown today. Its name derives from the unsightly appearance of its rough, wrinkled, greenish-yellow skin, wrapped loosely around the orange pulpy citrus inside. The light green surface blemishes turn orange when the fruit is at its peak ripeness. An ugli fruit is slightly smaller than a grapefruit and has fewer seeds. The flesh is very juicy and tends towards the sweet side of the tangerine rather than the bitter side of its grapefruit lineage, with a fragrant skin. The fruit is seasonal from December to April. It is distributed in the USA, UK and Europe between November and April, and is on occasion available from July to September.

Americans pronounce the name "ugly," but in Jamaica, where it is grown, its name is pronounced /ˈhu.ɡli/.

The fruit is also described as an exotic tangelo.
Thanks to the 'Wiki'd

C. S. Lewis

Old Sep 23 2008, 01:34 PM   #38
T'mynn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
The structure surrounding the seeds is different though, right?
Pear core is slightly differant than an apple's. The apple seems to have a stiffer thin cellulose(misspelled) thing that is near the seeds. It probably was there houseing until they grew more. It feels akin to a pop corn kernal shell when stuck between teeth. Please forgive the crudness of the descriptions as I haven't the proper scientific definitions of the fruit's core structures.

The pear is not as "keralish".

P'Ter, thank you for the information on the Uhgi fruit. I have seen those before in tropical markets here in Florida, but hadn't the opportunity to eat one.

Steph, I stumbled across an old thread here that had pictures of Dragonfruit and it's 3 varieties. It's flesh could be white, red, pink, even dark maroon. Is 'watery' with a banana-like taste, tiny seeds that can be eaten, and is sticky.

TOo bad pern hasn't Pomagrante.:-) yummmm.
Old May 7 2009, 08:10 PM   #39
Kibbie
Jewel Junk

Fan of: Harper Hall Dragonsong
Now Reading: Dragon rider and Dragonsong

from dragondrums I thought It would be a pomergante moga type thing
Old May 7 2009, 11:20 PM   #40
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Smile Re: Red fruit [split]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbie View Post
from dragondrums I thought It would be a pomergante moga type thing
If you mean mango?
Also a bit like a orange (sp) just after you make OJ, with the "meat" (like nutmeat) still stick to the rind, but much more thicker.

Drats, I know I want say just can't spell it right! "sigh"
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons