A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 23 2006, 07:31 AM   #1
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight
Default Using a Moving Company - Anyone? Anyone?

Bueler?

Well, I'm moving. Again. This time, being sick and tired of doing it all myself, I have decided to hire a moving company. Hey, the firm's paying for it, so why not?

Anyway, has anyone here used moving companies? If so, have you had good experiences or bad?

I already know I need to go with a 400N Tarif company. That's not a problem.

And, if anyone has used movers in the past, the four that I'm currently torn between are:

Olympic Movers
Nationwide
World Movers
A. Arnold

I'm planning on packing myself, though to have them do it is only about $1000 more so far. A. Arnold is actually coming to my apartment to see how much I have to move. Nationwide has already figured my weight as 8500 lbs and World Movers at 9200. (I have 3000 books, so that's why the weight is so high.)

I'm going to cross-post this at:
NKT
BPOI
MoM
Pernese Friends
Baen's Bar
For a variety of opinions.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2006, 08:01 AM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Using a Moving Company - Anyone? Anyone?

I can't advise you on the specific movers you're looking at, but offer some general advice. I'd ask local friends about the reputation of those movers; you need to know the reputation of the local branch as well as the national reputation for handling claims.

I've had good experiences with both moves I've done with movers. The first time I randomly had several big name movers give me estimates and went with the one I got the best feeling from. The second time I also got a few estimates, but I went with a local firm that someone recommended (someone I knew would have demanded top rate service).

Since you don't have to worry about the cost, you might consider letting them do some of the packing -- they're very experienced at it and in the US at least they don't insure boxes against breakage unless they packed them themselves. Both times we used movers, I let them pack the dishes and china, figureing they know better than I how to safely pack them -- and we didn't have anything break! One time I had them pack almost everything, and I found that wonderful; they're so much faster than I would have been, and it saves so much stress. The main downside of that is that boxes may not end up labeled as you'd like for finding things quickly later. Also, the one thing I chose not to have them pack either time was my McCaffrey book collection, as I have some very valuable items in it and I didn't trust they'd treat them carefully rather than just shoving them in a box like any old book.

Good luck to you!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Sorry, can't help there. The last time we moved, we rented a couple of U-hauls and did all the moving ourselves. Then again, from a house into an apartment isn't as much stuff, I suspect.
I think the move before that was also done ourselves, with family and friends assisting.
But I'd have to agree with Cheryl. Get local opinions and find out about their reputations.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2006, 11:08 PM   #4
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Cheryl has some really great advice!
If you pack the boxes they aren't insured, at least with the companies that I've dealt with in the past. Plus it's just nice to have them do it for you.
I've not heard of the companies you are thinking of using but I second the suggestion of asking friends about them. Or even checking the Better Business Bureau if no one has any info for you.
I too packed my Anne Collection and moved it myself! Just couldn't let them get out of sight. Pack anything that you highly value and move it yourself.
Good luck on the move and good journey!
Old Feb 24 2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Well I am like Tresa, the last time we moved we used "U-haul", and the family helped us. But the children just moved a few months back, and they used a local independant mover, they had great prices,if you packed it your self, and they moved it. So we all pitched in and got them all packed up in three days. The mover got it all in their truck in about an hour, they were fast, and good.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2006, 09:48 AM   #6
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Neither my husband or I can remember the name of the company we used (it's been almost 14 years and his company payed for the move). But I do agree with Cheryl on the point that at least let them pack the breakables. Since his company was paying for the move (on the original move from SF to DE they even payed to move my husbands car!!) let the company do a good share of the work. Unless the company is giving you a dollar amount let the moving company do the work. Another suggestion is along with having them pack the china also have them pack the electronics. The company we chose was one that DuPont used all the time to move heavy and large electronic equipment so they knew how to pack and store it in the truck. When they packed our stereo, tv, and computer equipment they took great care to lable or somehow recored how it was wired so it could be set back up at the destination.

Good luck on the move!!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote