A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Apr 18 2015, 03:28 AM   #3321
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: What is happening

Saw it on fb Michelle. I think it is great!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18 2015, 08:17 AM   #3322
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

thanks

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18 2015, 01:28 PM   #3323
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Moonlady, is your father in Hospice? If so they might be able to send someone to look after him for a couple of hours a week so your step mother can have a break.
He is on home hospice.

Love the dragon scooter.
Old Apr 19 2015, 05:45 PM   #3324
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I don't know I have heard of home hospice. There is an excellent hospice facility in Branford, CT, the town I grew up in. I hope I will never need it but I'm glad it is there.

I have put out the hummingbird feeders and now I'm waiting for the first jeweled speed demon to appear!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2015, 07:34 PM   #3325
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

As usual for me, most of the things going on have been car related.

The little Peugeot 107 went in for its MOT (annual, overly strict in every way except for some really daft points which aren't checked, roadworthiness check) which it passed without incident. On the way home from that I decided to take it in to get the front wheel alignment checked and adjusted as it recently had an argument with a kerb, so I knew that was out. While there I tried to get the A/C recharged. Try being the operative word as it turned out that the system was completely empty, and pressure testing it showed there was clearly a hole somewhere. Grrr...Pulled off the bumper today to get a proper look at the condenser, and there's definitely an oily patch on it, though no immediately obvious hole. I'll clean it up over the next couple of days and hopefully it will become apparent. Fingers crossed it will just be a pinhole which should be easy enough to repair with a bit of brazing. If not, it will be new condenser time, which is annoying as they're GBP 150 odd, which grates given that it's a tiny and flimsy little bit of aluminium!

While I was in there though, I spotted what was clearly residue from evaporated engine coolant, and peering at the bottom of the radiator I saw a drip, and that the whole bottom of the radiator was damp. I've said it before, and will no doubt do so again a million times...I hate these stupid modern car radiators with the plastic end tanks. Very nearly every car I've owned with them has needed the radiator changed at some point because the joint between the metal core and the plastic tanks has failed. At seven years, this one is no exception! Thankfully the radiator isn't too expensive, and I guess it's partly a blessing that the A/C condenser has a leak and has dumped its gas, as I need to remove that to change the radiator so would have had to get the system drained anyway. ...Also given that this leak wasn't in any way visible until the bumper was removed (and given that I hardly see this car as it's used daily to commute by one of my housemates) it's quite possible that the leak wouldn't have been noticed until it was too late. I had been keeping an eye on the coolant level as best I can as I had noticed that it was using a little bit of coolant over the last few months, but not a huge amount. Now at least now I know where it's been going.

Pretty much just for a laugh, I decided to take my 17 year old, 199K mile Citroen in to find out how much like a sieve the A/C system was. As far as I can tell it's never been touched. Both myself and the tech were extremely surprised when they connected the lines up when the gauges moved. 156g of refrigerant and 2g of oil were recovered, and a suitable charge was injected into the system. Result being on full cold, my A/C blowing at a suitably chilly 7C. Had to actually set the climate control to 18C on the way home was it was far, far too cold when set to "cold" which is new for me!

Gremlin list on that car is now down to:

1 of the two radiator fans being dead - new motor is sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted.

The light in the boot doesn't work.

Water ingress into the space under the rear seats, though I know where it's coming from now and just need to pick up some sealant to resolve that problem.

Few bulbs out in the dash...

That doesn't seem right for a car of this age!

In other news, took Tesla out for a run today with him tethered to me while I was riding the C5. After a ten mile run he was suitably tired and spent most of the afternoon snoozing. Nearly managed to get his toes run over a couple of times, but seemed to pretty quickly get the hang of running along side me rather than in front of me and enjoyed himself.

Being a dog who needs quite a bit of exercise I'm hoping this will work well in the future as it allows me to cover ground a lot more quickly than I can on foot, and without the sore feet or back that usually accompany long walks.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2015, 09:42 PM   #3326
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

You are accomplishing a lot, Zelandeth.

I hope you don't have to use it either, Priscilla. My dad is in his home with my step mom as his primary caregiver. The hospice agency provides nurses and doctors as needed along with supporting my step mom in little things. You are able to call anytime and talk to someone and if needed they will send someone out. They are still trying to adjust his meds and he is not helping by messing with them.

May everyone have a great week.
Old Apr 20 2015, 12:50 AM   #3327
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Zelandeth, you mentioned brazing to fix the condenser; you can't braze aluminum. I would have thought you would know that. There are some epoxies out there somewhere that will hold up to a cooling coil application in refrigeration, if you can find them.

But I agree with you about plastic radiator tanks. They're a royal pain in the posterior.
Old Apr 20 2015, 07:25 AM   #3328
Zelandeth

I thought that was the case with aluminium, but couldn't remember for certain. Punching the question into Google resulted in a page full of how-tos, so I assumed it must be possible, though hadn't actually read any further.

Being honest I think the condenser is probably going to have to be replaced, the fins are doing a good job of evaporating (no pun intended...) in many places when they are so much as looked at. Disappointing for a part that's only seven years old!
Old Apr 20 2015, 10:25 AM   #3329
Allen

Aluminum oxidizes, which is a fancy way of saying there's something like "aluminum rust". Thin aluminum will just oxidize away; it sometimes will resemble a moth eaten piece of cloth. So I know what you meant. Given what I've gathered from your description of its location, I'm not surprised that it's going away. Probably been catching more than its fair share of road chemicals and debris (think powder-fine sand and salt/salt water) since the car came out.
Old Apr 24 2015, 05:06 PM   #3330
Zelandeth

Few people realise how reactive a metal that aluminium actually is - and that it's that reactivity which actually makes it appear inert due to the microscopically thin layer of aluminium oxide on the surface.

Guess I must just be over-expecting lifetime from components on modern cars. My Citroen still has its original condenser after 17 years and 199.5K miles, and sure enough there's a lot of surface corrosion on it, but the fins themselves aside from a couple of patches are still fine. Likewise my Suzuki Cappuccino (1995) a couple of years back still had a perfectly intact unit. I guess these days there is more and more pressure on minimising weight and material cost, so it'll be made of far thinner metal than would have been the case in years gone by.

Today I had a rare free hour, so instead of doing something on my to do list, I decided to do something that I actually wanted to. This resulted in my grabbing my cleaning supplies and attacking the interior of the Citroen. It had been full of dog hair and dead leaves for the last couple of months and was driving me mad (I have serious OCD regarding the cleanliness of my cars, especially inside).

An hour later this was the result.

Still need to clean the glass, but is now bugging me a lot less.

Do wish I had a wet & dry vacuum cleaner though as the carpet in the front footwells is a bit grimy and there's not really much I can do about that. I am aware though that the heater matrix is past due failure, so am expecting to need to do that at some point in the next year or so. That involves having to remove the entire dash, so I'll probably just pull the seats and carpets out when I do that, and I can then just attack them with the pressure washer and carpet shampoo then. Will always get a better result doing it that way anyhow.
Old Apr 26 2015, 05:52 PM   #3331
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Nice, Zelandeth. I need someone like you to help me keep my car clean. I understand the need for cleanliness.

I am in the home stretch concerning school work. My dad seems to be on the decline so I am spending at least one day a week with him sometimes more and using up my sick days at work. I don't regret it, I just wish I could spend more time. Thank you everyone for your support and listening especially because as a whole I am keeping this off Facebook. It means a lot to me.

My oldest went to Prom last night. He and his date had a good time, but seem to have communication problems and were frustrated with how they felt the other one spent too much time flirting around the room. Considering they both have issues with communication, it was a good night. I will try to upload the pictures from my phone here.
Old Apr 27 2015, 10:00 PM   #3332
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

Been remiss on checking over here, sorry about that! Out in California here been working away, raising the 2 kids, involved in writing the lore for a card game called Doomtown: Reloaded. And actually just got my first book deal last night. It's exciting, but I can't say more about it just yet and it'll be another year before anything's out haha (yay publishing!)
Old Apr 28 2015, 05:21 PM   #3333
Zelandeth

Had an interesting email today from a gent I used to exchange emails with quite frequently years ago about electronics, visual art and several lenghty discussions around spirituality. He suffers from early onset rhumatiod arthritis, severely. He hadn't been able to work in about 15 years, walking more than a few hundred metres was out of the question etc. The reason we lost touch was because his hands had given up to the extent that he couldn't really use a computer.

He is now living a relatively normal life. Can't walk very far still, but is driving, working again, is living in his own apartment and is even able to draw again in short bursts. He also has an apparently psychopathic siamese cat by the name of Schrodinger.

How has he managed this? Turns out by moving into a state where cannabis is legal for medicinal use. He's spent a few months with his doctor carefully fine tuning the dosage, but a year and a half in now and it has to quote him "given him his life back."

Just really made me smile to hear of someone getting a bit of a break with something like this (he's only 37), and actually managing to find a way to pick their life back together. I'd assumed to be honest that he had passed away, as I know he had considered taking his own life on a few occasions as his condition deteriorated. He was always a very active person with a dozen projects and ideas on the go, and I know that the thought of spending his life in a recliner watching daytime TV scared him far more than death.

Really happy to hear that he's still with us, and is actually not only living life, but enjoying it again.

Felt it was worth sharing a bit of a good news story for a change, as they don't happen anywhere nearly as often as they should.
Old Apr 28 2015, 05:43 PM   #3334
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That is awesome news! I actually live in a state where medical marijuana is legal and I hope to see it on a national level before too many more years.

On my Facebook page I do a "Good Day Monday" comment every week (you are right, we need that!) and a Friday Gun Comment. Unfortunately it is far easier to find gun related bad news than it is to find good things to say.
Old Apr 28 2015, 08:25 PM   #3335
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Just a quick question for folks

Has anyone else noticed a slowness in the Forum the last few days. You know, slow to Log In, slow to load Threads and/or Subforums, slow Posting rate?

It's not happening all the time, but it's happening enough to me for it to occasionally get annoying and I wondered if anyone else had noticed it.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2015, 08:53 PM   #3336
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

That's awesome, Zelandeth, thanks for sharing.

Kinden, congrats! I look forward to hearing all about the book. Where in CA are you? I'm next door to LA.
Old Apr 29 2015, 01:19 AM   #3337
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugai View Post
Just a quick question for folks

Has anyone else noticed a slowness in the Forum the last few days. You know, slow to Log In, slow to load Threads and/or Subforums, slow Posting rate?

It's not happening all the time, but it's happening enough to me for it to occasionally get annoying and I wondered if anyone else had noticed it.
Kugai, I haven't noticed anything with JUST this site, but my internet provider has been upgrading their equipment for several months and if they complete it on schedule, THAT will be next month. What I have to do every once in a while when things load slow or not at all is reset my (DSL) modem. I unplug it for a few seconds, then plug it back in. This of course means that I have to log back in to it, so I simply restart my computer while the modem is re-acquiring its signal.

I don't know if this would help you at all, but it can't hurt.
Old Apr 29 2015, 04:19 AM   #3338
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I've noticed that MoM takes about three times as long to load my posts than NKT does; and it's been like this for about three weeks.

Also for the last something months any 'foreign' letter (like the final 'e' of café) is displayed as a diamond with a query mark in it.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2015, 12:46 PM   #3339
Hans
Master Archivist

I'll ask Cheryl to ask Kendall to look into the slowness of the board. Thanks for the heads up.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 29 2015, 04:21 PM   #3340
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

No problemo Hans

It's not a major thing ATM, but there's always the possibility for it to get worse.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30 2015, 03:08 AM   #3341
Hans
Master Archivist

That't right Kugai, so Kendall will look into it when he has got the time. To prevent further trouble in the future.

Old Apr 30 2015, 06:52 AM   #3342
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I guess I am just getting old and grumpy (well, he is my favorite of the Seven Dwarfs). The town where I live is where one of the just named "top four" American Idol finalists USED to live. Tomorrow the town is having a parade and he is putting on a concert with his "band". I can't get enthused by this. . .
Old Apr 30 2015, 07:28 AM   #3343
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

you are obviously one of the American Idles!

Don't blame you: most of the tele output is so boring and booring I won't even have a television any more.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30 2015, 08:36 AM   #3344
Allen

Had to go and talk about it........ now mine is loading slower.

"Any time you talk about something, if it's good it goes away and if it's bad, it happens." One of the lesser known corollaries of Murphy's Law.
Old Apr 30 2015, 04:07 PM   #3345
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
you are obviously one of the American Idles!

Don't blame you: most of the tele output is so boring and booring I won't even have a television any more.
Agreed! We still have one, though it's mostly used to play via a Chromecast (handy little devices) things from our (extensive...I should know as I digitised it!) Movie collection and episodes of boxed sets etc from series that we do like.

Oh...except for weeks like this when there are televised snooker tournaments on, in which case they take over. The World Championship is being played just now, and has been pretty good so far. Yesterday evening's semi final match in particular was a good watch - even if I was supporting the loser!

Out of those left, cheering for Judd Trump as he has some flair and a nice style of play. All the others are much of a muchness really in my mind. All very skilled (let's face it, you don't get into the World Championship otherwise), but just not very exciting to watch.

...having said that, I know many people who look at me funny when I mention the words snooker, exciting and/or interesting in the same sentence. It's something I have always been around growing up though, so is pretty deeply ingrained in me I think! Plus I enjoy playing both snooker and pool. The latter I would go so far as to say I'm halfway decent at.
Old May 2 2015, 10:14 PM   #3346
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

At the last con Kibby and I went to I over heard Kibby and a couple of others talking about the creepy vendor artist. Kibby said he offered to draw her naked last year, and guessed her age at being 12. It had gotten to where none of the girls would go down that aisle he was at. It had been going on for YEARS. I reported it to officials. Several people told a friend that they were glad he had been reported. He did not offer to draw anyone naked.

IF YOU ARE BEING HARASSED REPORT IT!! Unless people are told there is a problem they don't know there is one and can't fix it!

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old May 2 2015, 10:33 PM   #3347
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We did get one good piece of good news, Seth's MRI looked a little better. He's still not growing.

The last couple weeks have not been good. We lost three new born kittens when Mama cat caught an upper respirators infection. We have four from that litter. We lost one of the 6 month olds to FIP.

The worst is that neighbor & friend who had been switching between hospital & nursing home since Nov. died last Friday. He had no insurance so we are trying to help his girlfriend pay for his funeral.

Old May 2 2015, 10:37 PM   #3348
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I want to know what happened to my baby,

Old May 2 2015, 10:39 PM   #3349
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

This is Firai, my power scooter. I think it came out fairly well.

Old May 4 2015, 05:31 PM   #3350
Lily

Very splendid Maw. Are you going to wear something suitable to fill in the middle bit? And find something to make him breath flames? You are very inventive, I'm sure you could come up with something
Old May 5 2015, 03:31 PM   #3351
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I made a tunic out of the same fabric as the dragon to wear with it. I plan on adding flashing eyes and finding away to look like she is flaming. Right now she is wearing a small pink knitted top hat. It adds a lot of sass to her.

Old May 9 2015, 02:10 PM   #3352
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Sorry, Mawra about your loss. My thoughts are with everyone.

Great costumes you and Kibby. Maybe one day I'll see you both at a con. I'm glad you reported the creepy guy. I agree people need to speak up at times like that.

Finished my first year of grad school and holding my breath. This last semester was extremely hard with what's going on with my dad. One of my professors offered me extended time to finish my paper, but I woke up at 3 and 4 AM instead of weekdays to finish it because I just wanted to turn it in and focus on my dad. If its not to her standards then I maybe getting it back with comments about what I need to do to fix it.

My dad seems to be holding at the stage he's at which is he has barely enough energy to get up and wander the house sometimes. Also, his strength is deteriorating but he refuses the walker and Barb and I are glad we have hospice because if he falls neither one of us would be able to pick him up. He eats on and off. He's gone days without eating. It hurts to see him this way. I'm glad for the time I have, but I hope he doesn't have to experience going down like this for long. Its so hard on him because he's always been the one to take care of others that's part of who he is.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and may everyone have an amazing weekend.
Old May 11 2015, 12:35 AM   #3353
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Well Dan J. and I a nice mother's day/birthday, his. We end up going to three different places, to eat.

Dad got his replacement TV, for a good price, and free shipping US$ 30 bought a new serge (sp as in right word) protector.

I got some ink, and other stuff he gave me money to buy the ink bought two, and storage devices on sale, and got a ten US dollar gift card. Gave it to him and he found a set of movies, it only cost tax money.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2015, 10:04 AM   #3354
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Jeff and I just got back from nine days at Disney World. What a lot of fun we had!
Old May 12 2015, 10:17 AM   #3355
Allen

The youngest son, wife & 2 boys were just there a few weeks ago. Their youngest boy is almost as big a Mickey fan as my wife, but she still rules as the ultimate fan of the Mouse.

No, I mean it. Trust me. Don't make me list the things Mickey in our house, past, present, and future.
Old May 12 2015, 10:51 AM   #3356
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

My husband is a sorcerer Mickey fan. For me it is Winnie the Pooh. We had fantastic weather, no rain, high 80's, moderate humidity. Got to eat at the Beast's castle - twice!
Old May 13 2015, 12:12 AM   #3357
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I would love to go some day

Old May 14 2015, 07:06 AM   #3358
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Well, the town where I currently live is in an uproar because someone who lived here for a few years and went to high school here just won American Idol. He was born in another nearby town and his family now lives in West Haven but he "identifies" with us. Gee, aren't we the lucky ones! I suppose he'll show up and they'll have another parade for him!? Ho hum!

In far more important news (from my perspective) the New York Rangers WON last night, beating the Washington Capitals in the best of seven games series in a spectacular come from behind battle where they were behind three games to one! They move on in their series. Go Rangers!
Old May 18 2015, 10:17 AM   #3359
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

My sister's aunt in-law, (who is the sister of her mother in law whose husband died) had a bad UTI and was in the hospital last week. Not sure when she was sent home. This morning Terri's mother in-law found her in the bathroom this morning. Who dies from UTI now a days?

I am ready for 2015 to be over.

Old May 18 2015, 11:46 AM   #3360
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh dear. I am so sorry.