A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Feb 6 2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Pern Fanfic - Life Begins At Rigel (inc. Feedback)

Ok. Before I start posting, I'd like to explain a bit .... mitigating circumstances and all that!

Firstly, this is the first story/piece that I've actually been able to finish for over 3 years. So yay me LOL

Secondly, to set the scene, the story is based on events after the end of Rescue Run. Kenjo's wife is mentioned by name. Although in Rescue Run she is called Ito, in DDawn she is called Ika. Using the same rule that's used for naming dinosaurs and other things, I decided to go with the name that was published before - Ika. If anyone disagrees then go right ahead and feel free to mentally read Ito. No problems there.

Thirdly, at some stage this will end up at my deviantArt account, but as I'm away it can wait until I'm back home. In the mean time I hope that you'll bear with me posting it all in one (or more) chunks. You'll know when it's finished because, prosaically, I'll put "The End".

As I plan to post it all now (dial-up connection willing), it's fine if any feedback is added to the end of this Thread.

I hope you approve ..........

(Added: Ok, have posted it in one post. I know it looks awful and chunky, but for some reason I can't get it to tab in once for paragraph starting. I hope you'll forgive me that!)
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Re: Pern Fanfic - Life Begins At Rigel (inc. Feedback)

Life Begins At Rigel

Meishun woke with a start. Some things never seemed to become mundane, some things she never seemed to get used to. The small cabin. The harsh lighting. Yet sometimes when she first woke she could hardly even remember Pern. It all seemed like such a dream, such a long time ago. Flicking her eyes around the tiny cabin with its cramped and awkward bathing facilities, it's strict regulations on water usage, she wondered if maybe it had all been a dreadful mistake. And today was to see the culmination of that mistake.

Her brothers, Alun and Pat, had spent every day among the crew of the Amherst, learning about the world they were going back to. No, not world. Worlds. Plural. Her life had been spent in one tiny corner of one Hold, Honshu, and then ..... and then what was important suddenly was ordinary. Worse than ordinary. Less than ordinary. A tiny singular pin-prick of light in the vast acres of space. A footnote in a report on a shelf in an office in a tower on one of the worlds of the Federation.

Oh yes. The Federation. Every day learning its rules. Every day staring at that gold and blue flag. Every day seeing more and more and understanding less and less. The only thing that was left emblazoned in her mind at the end of the day was the echoing repetitive thought of how nothing they were. Remnants of a failed colony.

A polite rap at her door surprised her. It came every 'morning', and yet it still surprised her.

“Meishun? It's me – Kimo. Are you ready?”

Even through the cabin's door Meishun could tell her uncle was excited. Today. The culmination.

“When you're dressed, I'll be here.”

She rose, quickly and silently, pressed the bed covering back down, and pulled on her tunic, trousers and her shipshoes, and flicked her short hair out with her fingers. What did the rest matter? Picking up her small bag, she palmed the door open and could see that her assumption was correct: Kimo's eyes could barely contain his excitement. They seemed to glow, shining out from his sallow skin, finding an echo in his grin.

“Akachan, it is today!”

It had been a long time since anyone had called her anything approaching “baby”. Oblivious to her silence, Kimo strode down the corridor, their shoes making no sound on the soft carpeting. As she followed her uncle into the meal room she was unsurprised to see the rest of her family gathered there, although the addition of her grandmother was a pleasant surprise, although not a shock. It wasn't the first time she had seen her dead grandmother on the Amherst, but it was the first time she'd seen her with anybody else.

She squeezed her way through the small throng and stood looking at where her grandmother, Ika, was sat, and started to raise one hand toward her thin shoulder.

“Today we reach our destination, Meishun. Today is an end and a beginning. What will happen even I cannot know, but remember – we are together. We are Fusaiyuki. We are no longer Pern.” Her voice turned savage on the last word. “We are together. We are Fusaiyuki.”

“Meishun?”

The question from her uncle Jiro made her swing round.

“Meishun, come and sit here.” He patted the back of the chair next to him and she nodded. Turning to gesture to her grandmother, she could not see the old woman. Flicking her eyes around the almost empty room did not help.

Meishun gave a small smile. We are Fusaiyuki.

Corridor followed corridor followed tunnel followed airlock. This was the mighty outpost at Rigel. This was the future. Here it was to be decided what would happen. From here they could go anywhere, even back to Earth, although Meishun still wasn't sure what was so great about it. She had seen the vids on the Amherst. Crowded and polluted, even after almost 100 years of further extra-solar colonisation and environmental controls. What was there on Earth that could hold the Fusaiyuki? What was there in the entire Federation?

Eventually the group emptied into a large chamber filled with row after row of empty seating. At the far end of the room a clump of uniformed people was sat around a large table down in the front of the room. Meishun could make out the black hair of a middle-aged thin woman, a broad man in a dark grey tunic who was idly scratching and picking a point on the back of his left hand. The third man was tall, even sat down he was inches above everyone else. He noticed the group enter, gestured a dismissal to the majority of the people in the group and nodded at the aide who had ushered them into the room.

“Please, come in and make yourselves comfortable here.” The young female aide gestured to them and bid them sit at one of the places surrounding the table. After they had settled themselves, a large man stood up, abruptly tugged down his uniform tunic, smiled at everyone, and spoke.

“Ladies, gentleman, welcome. I am Jyrgal Allardyce, Head of the EEC, Rigel Sector. To my left is Ms. Chryselia Bathoa from Populace Welfare Services, and this is Admiral Moir representing the Combined Joints of Staff. Now, all of us have received and digested the information contained in Captain Fargoe's report on the colony of Pern. I admit that it makes very discomfiting reading.” He cleared his throat, tugged at his tunic and sat back down.

Chryselia picked up the discussion. “This meeting has two purposes. The first is to discuss certain aspects of that report, and the second is to discuss your futures within our society. A great deal has changed since the Pern Expedition originally set out over 65 years ago. It is my job to see that each of you is made aware of these changes and to make sure that you are dealt with fairly.” Meishun noticed the hard glare that she shot the Admiral, although she did not understand it. She also noticed that the Admiral was still scratching at that point on his hand.

“Thank you Ms. Bathoa. I have no wish to see these people harmed or disadvantaged further. If I may, Jyrgal, I'd like to start with discussing this mycorrhizoid organism which you have designated ....ah ...-” he quickly found the spot in the report on his handcomp “-... this Thread and any subsequent threat to the Federation.”

Meishun's focus on the discussions and comments whizzing backwards and forwards around her quickly waned. Words she didn't understand about the Thread and the Red Star, orbits, Oort clouds and more besides.

“It would seem to me, Admiral, it would behove us to accept the reports from the Amherst and the information Captain Fargoe's crew was able to retrieve from the interface on the Yokohama, as well as the eye-witness accounts in the report here, and implement the procedure to have the entire Rukbat system listed as Interdicted. I am not prepared to authorise any further investigation into such an inimical lifeform, no matter how inimitable. I think that you can agree that, given the information at hand the only sensible precaution would be to send the updated system classification out with the next Federation databurst. Not one ship is to enter into that system. We simply cannot risk any further incursion and we currently do not have the resources to fight off another round of nasties.”

The Admiral nodded his assent curtly and, taking his fingers from the back of his hand, he joined Jyrgal in tapping their handcomp screens, presumably setting into a motion a series of events that, to Meishun, was the worst of all scenarios.

The Head of EEC gestured to Chryselia. “Chryselia, if you please?”

“Many thanks, Jyrgal.” Taking a sip from the cup of water in front of her, she looked at each of the family in turn, reserving a small wink for Meishun.

As she spoke, Meishun quietly studied the woman, from her tightly bobbed jet-black hair to her eyes which were coloured almost entirely white in which the ink-splash of her pupil made an impressive statement. Her face, Meishun decided, was pretty, if not in the fine way of her mother and aunts, then in a graceful and intelligent manner. Her fine fingers flicked over her screen and keyboard, calling up information and details.

“Firstly, may I ask if you prefer Fusaiyuki or Kimmer as a family name?”

“We are Fusaiyuki.”

As expected, Meishun was shushed immediately by her uncles whilst her mother and aunts sat demurely. She looked Chryselia directly in the eyes and repeated her statement. “We are Fusaiyuki.”

She remembered learning that at her grandmother's side before she died. The feel of her grandmother Ika's small, hard hand pressed into her young arm as she whispered the lesson over and over.

Chryselia smiled. “Gentleman, please, every one of you is entitled to speak. This meeting will impact all of your futures and each of you is encouraged to voice your needs and wants now. It is my position to do my best to mesh you and your hopes into our society and into what is available and owed to you.”

“Owed?” Jiro pounced on the word.

Chryselia nodded at him and smiled gently. “Indeed, Mr. Fusaiyuki. Most certainly. I believe that your father, Kenjo, signed on to the Pern Expedition as a Contractor and under the ratified terms of that Charter, the EEC and the Federation are obliged to provide a certain amount of .... compensation in cases such as these.”

“Because the EEC didn't provide information on Thread?”

Jyrgal gave a small cough. “Whilst the EEC accepts a certain amount of responsibility, the complete report was available to all Charterers and Contractors and was deemed of sufficient quality and of sufficient quantity to support the colonisation procedures. All signatories were cognizant of those facts and facilities. However, given the nature of the ... omissions a certain amount of reparation is available.”

“How much?” Jiro again.

“Mr. Fusaiyuki, in time we will discuss amounts, although I hope that neither you nor your family are expecting an overly large figure. Chryselia, please continue.”

She nodded. “Above the EEC amount, there is what we call a Shipwreck Allowance which each of you is entitled to receive. I have taken the liberty of filing those forms with the Federation on your behalf. The findings of this meeting today will have a direct bearing on the exact nature of that Allowance, whether it be payments toward accommodation, travel arrangements, education or stake acres on another colony, although I do hasten to add that the latter would be exceedingly unlikely as the cost is extremely prohibitive. I trust that all of you have availed yourselves of the vids and information on the Amherst and have some idea of what is available to you?”

Meishun recalled the times on the Amherst when Captain Fargoe or even Ross Benden had taken them through information tapes about what they could, indeed, expect when they returned to “civilisation”.

At their collective silent nods, Chryselia continued. “It may seem like skipping a step, but it does bear on the previous point heavily. That is, how you plan to support yourselves. I know, from the report, that the majority of your cargo allowance was made up with gem stones and minerals. A cursory assay has been undertaken and I can assure you that if you wish to sell your entire collection then you would receive an impressive lump sum. However, should you decide to eke out your collection then I would be more than happy to arrange that. The long-term figures for that are also as impressive.”

She had sent the figures to all of their screens which laid angled and recessed into the table top. The figure that flashed in front of Meishun meant nothing. Credits? What was one credit worth? How many acres of Honshu could be bought with one credit, ten credits, a thousand credits? Chryselia was met with another wall of stoic silence. She coughed and carried on.

“There was, of course, the substance that you call numbweed. I'm afraid any pharmacopoeia and medical products would be subject to the strictest of controls, tests and trials before any benefit would be forthcoming. After all, selling a substance that may cause irritation to the general populace would have serious ramifications.”

At that Meishun grabbed a small pot of numbweed out of the bag at her side and rushed to the Admiral's side. Before he or any of her family could protest she had slathered a dollop of the cream on the back of his hand. He jumped up and pulled his arm back as if she had burnt him.

“By the Void! I can't feel my hand!” He wiggled his fingers experimentally and prodded the skin. He banged the table and let out a laugh. “Controls be jiggered! Numbweed by name, numbweed by its very nature!” He sat back down and lowered his eyes to Meishun's face. In a much gentler tone, he spoke to her. “May I?”

She nodded at him and handed over the small pot. “Only on the outside. We have seeds.”

At that she noted the grim looks being shot her way by the rest of her family and slunk back to her chair.

“Meishun.”

She turned at the Admiral's voice. “Doing that took guts. I like that. My damn hand has been itching for years.” He flapped it at her, dismissing the exact past details. “Can't feel it at all now. My thanks.” He stood and gave her a small quarter-bow. She smiled at him and returned the courtesy.

“Chryselia, let it be noted that I whole-heartedly support the use of this numbweed, and whatever the repatriation of the Fusaiyuki takes.” He looked down at his screen and gave a harrumph.

“Jyrgal, Chryselia, I'm sure you can continue without me. I'm needed elsewhere.” He turned to the family clinging to their end of the table and spoke to them as a group, but his eyes singled out Meishun. “My apologies for the loss of your planet. Many of us know that feeling. Damn Nathi. I'll keep my ear open.”

With that the broad Admiral walked from the room, his calmed hand raised slightly to his face as he studied it.

In the weeks that followed that first meeting, Meishun was subject to many more. Some were what she had heard being referred to as “debriefings”, although she had no idea what that actually meant. Some were with interested parties. A few were either in person or via a comm-link with people who had family members who'd departed in the Pern Expedition. The look on some of their faces after being told that the one small report that had gone out on the holovid system was, indeed, true and that their relatives had certainly all perished was something that Meishun thought would haunt her dreams for years to come.

Chryselia had set things up admirably for the family, she thought to herself one rest period as she was sat in a lounge. They all had credit accounts and had become “official” members of the Federation with all the correct documentation and numbers and checks. She gently touched the bracelet on her wrist that would allow her access to a great number of things in a great number of systems. She still hadn't been able to grasp the vastness of the Federation itself, the power it wielded or the complete ramifications of the Fusaiyuki choices that were being made.

The numbweed plants were being grown in the hydroponics garden on the Base – the second favourite of Meishun's places to visit, the first being the holo-lounge where she could ask the computer to display any scenario she wished. After many hours she thought she finally had a working and partly accurate rendition of Honshu, although she wasn't sure and hadn't admitted to the rest of her family that it was there so they could make any changes. It was her program. It was her Honshu. It was enough.

The family had been approached, with Chryselia's tacit approval, by a pharmaceutical syndicate who had wanted to purchase their entire stock. Jiro had refused the offer and made another one which had surprised everyone at the meeting. He told the gentleman that he could purchase the license for the numbweed product and all stages of creating it, but that license would only be valid for five standard years and any non-authorised farming of the numbweed bush would result in the entire deal being re-assessed. The gentleman had agreed on the condition that every five years his company would be the one to re-purchase the license. Jiro agreed and a deal was struck. Jiro, with the agreement of the rest of the family, licensed a small agri-business company to raise numbweed stock to meet the demand of the pharmaceutical syndicate.

Meishun hadn't been surprised when her brothers had decided to enlist in the Federation Navy. Although their basic education skills and family situation wouldn't allow them to begin at any other position than basic grunts, a slice of the money awarded them had seen that their futures would be rosier. She thought that something of the fabled Kenjo had manifested itself in her brothers. There were still officers who remembered the name Fusaiyuki and their names had quietly gone onto lists as ones to watch.

Slowly but surely all the others were slipping unnoticed into this new society. Chio had managed to purchase an apprenticeship with a well-respected lapidary. Kimo was the current beau of the social whirl on the Base as the newest spectacle. Meishun had once had to ask the computer to define “freakshow” for her and hadn't liked the summary provided and she hadn't wanted to access the complete history of the term, even if the computer had asked politely.

She sighed, not for the first time. One by one, dropping away. Unable or unwilling to keep their promises of keeping in touch. Hadn't that been the promise? All of a sudden Meishun rose herself from her inactivity and ran through the Base until she reached what she had come to term the Departure Zone. Screens set high in the ceiling showed times of arrival and departure for incoming and outgoing shuttles, freighters and cruisers. Announcements trilled through the air, asking for unknown people to contact unknown departments, to go to unknown destinations.

Rushing to a terminal, dashing a tear from her eye, Meishun pressed her wrist unit against it. Although these terminals were voice-activated, they were dumb in that all responses were formulaic and appeared on the screen.

How may I help you?

“Unit, when does the next shuttle leave for Pern?”

Unknown destination. Please try again.

“Unit, what is the next transport that goes near Pern?”

Unknown destination. Please try again.

Another hot tear slipped down Meishun's cheek and splashed onto her hand. Pern. It didn't understand Pern. It didn't understand Home. “Unit, what is the next ship going anywhere near Rukbat?”

Please restate question.

“Unit, do you know destination Rukbat?”

Yes.

“Unit, what is the next transport that will be closest to Rukbat in its journey?”

Accessing ....

Meishun wiped more tears from her eyes and blearily watched the screen pulse gently.

Federation freighter Premyslid will pass within one light year of Rukbat in approximately three standard years.

Three years? One light year? “Unit, are any transports scheduled to enter the Rukbat system?”

She watched in alarm as the screen flashed red and started to shake her head as she read the display. Error. Error. Rukbat system is currently subject to interdiction. Lethal. Avoid. Entry to system denied.

“Unit, how do I enter the system?”

Entry to system denied.

“How do I enter the Rukbat system?” Louder.

Entry to system denied.

“Unit, I ...” She broke off, unsure of what she should say. Gulping back a sob, she carried on in a quiet voice. “Unit, I want to go home. How do I get there?”

Please restate question.

“Unit ...... Unit .....” The tears were running freely down her face now, falling unchecked in a salty cascade onto the screen. Meishun couldn't believe it. Home. All of a sudden it hit her with the fall force of a damn breaking, and that was exactly what it was. Sobs escaped her chest. Nobody turned to see the small figure leaning against the travel terminal that was shaking with the grief of a broken heart.

“Unit, close.”

With that the terminal went blank and Meishun looked up at the sound of the familiar voice. Without understanding why, she turned to the uniformed Admiral and grabbed him tightly, pressing her face into his tunic. He could feel her body heaving as she vented the great sorrow that had been building up inside of her from the very instant she had been introduced to the Amherst's crew all that time ago back home. The loss, first of her beloved Honshu and then of the planet, and now of her family and the very system that spawned her, those tiny streams had gradually become a raging torrent of emotion which had been held back behind emotional dams she had learned long ago to brick up. But now .... now having seen those words glowing and pulsing on that terminal screen had pushed tiny chinks through her armour and silence and allowed a trickle out. That trickle had soon not been enough and no amount of damming could have held it in check. And nor should she have tried.

Admiral Moir simply stood and allowed the little frame to let the flow pass. He didn't speak, nor pat her hair. He simply stood with his hands on her shoulders. After a few minutes he noticed two things – firstly that Meishun's sobs were weakening and secondly that they were garnering stares. Whilst a tear-stained girl might not have attracted any attention, an Admiral certainly did. He placed a finger under her chin and tipped her head back, gently despite the thickness of the digit. Looking into her wet eyes he spoke over her tumbling, fumbling apology.

“Shhh. No need for that. Wait one moment.” He tapped into his communication device. “Jawitean, it's me, Xosrov. Can you excuse me from that staff meeting? I have a little something which is more important right now. No, it's nothing urgent or that requires assistance. I would appreciate being left alone for as long as possible, however. Good.”

Meishun watched as the Admiral slipped the device back into his tunic pocket. Was she the little something? How could she be more important to an Admiral? As if reading her mind, he chuckled.

“Indeed, little one, you are more important right now. Come -” he held out one hand and she held onto it “- I think I know where they may be serving ice cream.” He started to turn and walk towards the row of catering stores and restaurants to one side of the area.

“Ice cream?” Meishun sniffed, diverted.

The Admiral chuckled again. “You'll see. Yes, I rather think that you will see.”

With that the great Admiral, dwarfing the girl beside him, strode into the throng of people.

The End

Last edited by Gidget2; Feb 6 2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Formatting!
Old Feb 6 2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!
Default Re: Pern Fanfic - Life Begins At Rigel (inc. Feedback)

I really like this.

I have often wondered what happened to the survivers from Rescue Run, and where they went.

Kudos matey, Wonderful
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Thank you, Jay! That means a lot!

There were so many ways that this could've gone, and I just picked one. Or maybe it picked me. I don't know. Either way, I'm happy that it meets expectation!
Old Feb 6 2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Cynth
Rocksquat

Fan of: Planet Pirates
Now Reading: Alternative Care For Ruminants - Dr. Dettloff

I love how you convey the emotions of the situation and how your main character is so strong.

Congratulations!!! After a 3 year hiatus you are back on track...this is a very powerful beginning and I look forward to much more.
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Eeeeeee! Thank you, Cynth! That's a very kind message, and it means a lot!

LOL And you can't be any happier than I am that finally something is stirring!!
Old Feb 6 2008, 02:34 PM   #7
R'na
Dragonrider

Fan of: dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Random Fanfiction
Brown Re: Pern Fanfic - Life Begins At Rigel (inc. Feedback)

That is excellent Gidget2. It really helps to fill a gap for me with a fanfic I've been reading called reunion.
R'na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Thank you, R'na - that's very kind of you to say!! And it fits in with existing fanfics???? Even better!!!
Old Feb 6 2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Brenda

This is very good - it ties in perfectly with the original short story.

Although, didn't they have to jettison everything in order to get back to the main ship? Certainly all of the heavier metals and things - I can see them being able to save some gems, and of course the numbweed.

I like how she clings to Kenjo's name rather than Kimmer's.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2008, 09:13 PM   #10
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

It was very good, but it was linger than 65 years since the Pern coloney laft. The traveled in suspention fot 50 years, were on the planet for I think 9 years before threadfall & then thread fell for 50 years. Recue run take place after thread stoppes. So it was more like 100 years.
I realy liked the story.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2008, 10:16 PM   #11
Brenda

No, it took them fifteen years for the colony ships to reach Pern. The crew stayed awake in five-year shifts.
Old Feb 7 2008, 12:22 AM   #12
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

You are right. I was thinkg it took longer. So 65 years is about right give or take a few years. I can not remember how long they were on Pern before thread hit.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2008, 03:36 AM   #13
Jayru

15 year journey to get to Pern, 8 years of spreading out and enjoying Pern, and then 50 years of Thread Fall - so 73 years give or take. Unless the First Pass was a short one, in which case the figure of 65 years would fit. This is a minor problem in the text of the books and not one I have actually noticed until now, LOL.

@ Brenda - in Rescue Run Ross Benden has all the extra hidden gold and stuff ejected from the shuttle, not the personal allowence - he's tempted to include it, but doesn't. So therefore the survivors have that - and ironically they would have Kimmer's pesonal allowence as well, unless Ross ejected that as well. So the survivors had something to take back with them to start new lives

And yes, 'tis brilliant to see Gidget getting back into his groove with writing
Old Feb 7 2008, 10:19 AM   #14
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Thank you very much Brenda! I'm glad you liked it, especially as you fanfic also!! Thanks also to Maw! It's always good when people approve!! LOL

LOL Jay did a good job answering the queries for me! LOL And changing the 65 to 75 is but the work of a second! I had always assumed Rescue Run was set 50 years after the end of Dragonsdawn, which makes that 50 years + 15 years of travel + 8 years Interval plus another few .... Ok, yep, although I think I put "over 65 years" in the text, I think it'd be better to change it to closer to 75, or possibly 80 ...... I'm glad you picked up on it actually! Thank you!!

(And, yes, once more unto the groove dear friends. Although it's nowhere near St. Crispin's Day ....)
Old Feb 7 2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Jayru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget2 View Post
LOL Jay did a good job answering the queries for me! LOL And changing the 65 to 75 is but the work of a second! I had always assumed Rescue Run was set 50 years after the end of Dragonsdawn, which makes that 50 years + 15 years of travel + 8 years Interval plus another few .... Ok, yep, although I think I put "over 65 years" in the text, I think it'd be better to change it to closer to 75, or possibly 80 ...... I'm glad you picked up on it actually! Thank you!!

LOL, was one of those things I had never really thought about before... we don't know for sure how long Thread Fall had stopped in Rescue Run, but Kimmer indicates that it hasn't been that long (and they find dead thread shells on the surface, so it can't have been more then a year), so I think a figure of 73 years is pretty good... But then there is the journey time back to Rigel as well...

Always a pleasure to help out
Old Feb 7 2008, 12:22 PM   #16
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayru View Post
But then there is the journey time back to Rigel as well...
I was hoping nobody would bring that up ........

Let's just say that interstellar drives had improved markedly since the Pern Expedition left all that time ago and leave it at that
Old Feb 7 2008, 03:02 PM   #17
Brenda

As far as I'm concerned, this short story is to "Rescue Run" as Kath's "Dragondays" is to "Dragonsdawn."
Old Feb 7 2008, 03:38 PM   #18
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Re: Pern Fanfic - Life Begins At Rigel (inc. Feedback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this short story is to "Rescue Run" as Kath's "Dragondays" is to "Dragonsdawn."
That's quite some accolade, Brenda! Thank you very much.

(I just had to re-read Dragon Days which I had started to read ages ago and forgotten about )
Old Feb 7 2008, 11:12 PM   #19
Brenda

Seriously. It fits in perfectly.
Old Feb 8 2008, 08:48 PM   #20
Cynth
Rocksquat

Fan of: Planet Pirates
Now Reading: Alternative Care For Ruminants - Dr. Dettloff

Gidget -- More please...
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2008, 03:57 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I just found this story...I really have to agree with all the above phrase and compliments from the readers. Especially the one from Brenda that states this story is *Perfect*, as it fits in with Rescue Run, and the other Pern stories, as if Anne herself had written it.

Please don't let it take you three more years before we get to read another story from your incredibly creative mind. Thank you Dominic, this was truly a treat for this Pern fan to read.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2008, 04:18 PM   #22
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Maelin, thank you! Colour me flattered! It's due a re-write to correct some silly little parts that need to flow better, but truly thank you for your comments!

And I'll try not to wait another 3 years!
Old Mar 19 2008, 10:06 PM   #23
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

More, please.
Old Mar 20 2008, 08:21 AM   #24
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget2 View Post
That's quite some accolade, Brenda! Thank you very much.
She's right, it fits in marvelously well, and you've done a great job writing it.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2008, 08:29 AM   #25
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

I have to leave the house later so will have to be deflated first!

Thank you very much, Kath, and to you Kevia!

Like I said, it needs some squeezing, and when I've done it I'll either repost or change what I have at deviantArt and let you all know!!