A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jan 18 2008, 07:28 PM   #1
ancientdracos
Darbul

Fan of: Freedom's landing
Now Reading: Confessor, BY Terry goodkind
Brown Well. they are making the movie.

From what i understand it will be Dragon Flight.
That is the story the movie is based on.
The guy in charge the one with the Rights to the movie
is supposed to very adiment that they do Anne's work Justice.
Again, I have heard that this guy already fired one scipt crew because in typical Hollywood style they completely went off track from the original story line ,and the guy just said thank you for your time now beat it!

If the this guy is as serious as I've heard than hopfully the movie will be
great.

Another thing that worries me is the current writers strike.
That could put a crimp in the works for the whole shabang.
ancientdracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: Well. they are making the movie.

http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=1443
http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=4756
http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=3955
http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=4756
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2008, 10:53 PM   #3
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientdracos View Post
From what i understand it will be Dragon Flight.
That is the story the movie is based on.
The guy in charge the one with the Rights to the movie
is supposed to very adiment that they do Anne's work Justice.
Again, I have heard that this guy already fired one scipt crew because in typical Hollywood style they completely went off track from the original story line ,and the guy just said thank you for your time now beat it!

If the this guy is as serious as I've heard than hopfully the movie will be
great.

Another thing that worries me is the current writers strike.
That could put a crimp in the works for the whole shabang.
Um, given what normally comes out of Hollywood, the script-writers' strike might be a blessing...

As far as I'm concerned, I'd have hired the outfit that did LOTR for this project. They stayed remarkably close to the books, completely shaming the old Hollywood idea that you can't do that very thing.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Lara
Whacky Wordsmith

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post

As far as I'm concerned, I'd have hired the outfit that did LOTR for this project. They stayed remarkably close to the books, completely shaming the old Hollywood idea that you can't do that very thing.

Electric Dragon - have you readThe Lord of the Rings? If so, please read the books again, and see if you still recognise Arwen and Faramir, just for starters! As a purist friend of mine says, it's not what he (Jackson) leaves out - that's inevitable in a filmed adaptation - it's what he adds and changes that drives some of us up the wall. Those films are very much Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, and only superficially Tolkien's.
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
Those films are very much Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, and only superficially Tolkien's.
Jackson as much admits that on the extended DVDs and in interviews. Personally I haven't read the books, and so hence enjoyed the films as they were, but friends of mine who had read the books were not impressed at all the changes made. I know if I go and read them I wont enjoy the the films as much. In the same way I dislike all the Harry Potter movies. They just aren't the books.

Unfortunatly that is my one big worry about a Pern movie - the film industry sometimes cannot help BUT makes changes, becasue as always the film is the directors vision, not the authors.
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

The LOTR movies did make several, um...blatant detours, from the books. But when you look at them relative to the majority(?) of books made into movies, they do stay "remarkably close" to the books, I think.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Sandi

I like LotR. I've read the three books every year in February since the 1970's (and browsed through them at intervals throughout the year) and I've read The Hobbit and the Sil quite a few times as well. I have also seen PJ's movies. They are beautiful works of art but I would call them "loosly based" on the books, not "of" the books. Frodo takes the Ring to Mount Doom, Aragorn becomes King. Right. But the Frodo in the book is a very different character from the one in the movies and just about everything and everyone else is too. I have come to actually like the movies (I leave the room during the Aragorn falls off a ciff segment) but I put them in a different part of my mind from the books.

Of course, we've had this discussion many times in other threads, so, back on topic, I'm prepared for a certain amount of "tweaking" for a movie but I hope it won't be too extreme. I remember years ago somebody was going to make a TV show (I think) in which Lessa, along with her new dragonrider friends F'lar and Kylara struggle to regain her birthright.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I'm a fan of Tolkien but I love the movies too! You have to realise what a movie director has to do and that the movie need to be sold/seen (or a chance of it) before it can be made. If you approach it that way it is much better/palatable.

It's like a book. if you'll never find a publisher people weill never read your work of art... If the publisher says: chance that and this and he'll publish it you would be a fool to refuse.

Also, be realistic. It jst isn't possible to put three thick volumes into a movie in only 9 hours or so. I honestly think you have to admire what Jackson has done with the time/budget he had available. It's very "childish" I think to "stay pure" and say he "raped" the books or story.

The movie should NOT be compared to the written story; it's just not possible to do so! You should approach the movie for what it is: a fantastic fantasymovie BASED on Lord of the Rings.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 02:06 PM   #9
Lara
Whacky Wordsmith

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Which, Hans, is why I am completely against filmed adaptations, especially of excellent books. I would like to see the cinema people stick to original scenarii, adapted to the unique visual and auditory possibilities of the medium, instead of deforming someone else's creation. The written word and the audio-visual world fulfil different purposes after all.

Unfortunately, too many people either have no imagination of their own, are too lazy to read, or are incompetent to read intelligently. The cinema provides easily-digestible pap for such. Which, of course, is how it makes its money. Basing a film on a popular book creates its own publicity - who cares if the essential nature of the book is mangled, so long as it makes good Box Office, and therefore a whole pile of cash?

It's our own fault though. We Westerners are responsible for our rubbish culture, so long as we not only put up with it, but embrace it.

Last edited by Lara; Jan 19 2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: correcting typo
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Jayru

I dunno Lara,

Although I worry about what a film studio/director might do with/to Pern - I would love to see a film. I might even be able to enjoy it as well. Jackson admits that he had to make changes to LOTR because it wouldn't have worked otherwise as film. I accept that Dragonflight will be changed as well to become a movie.

Where I draw the line is with films like "The Dark Is Rising" - which had very little to do with the book. Mind you the author was a part of the film making proccess, and I have to wonder why she allowed so many changes to it... As a film in it;s own right, it's ok. But as an adaptation of the book... yuck - IMOO

I think the later Harry Potter movies have failed to capture the essence of the books, and seem more like pale adaptations of them. My partner thinks they work, I don't. The first two films captured the essences of the books, without killing them.

I have to read LOTR, so I cannot comment on it. Tolkien has never been an author I got on with, possibly the dyslexia (mine, I don't know if he was). The Hobbit, now that I am familure with and it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

But ramblings aside, yes it would be nice to see Pern make it to the big screen, and for the books to be done justice. Yes, there will be purests who have issues with any film. I hope not to count myself amoungst them... but like, you never know... depends on the film
Old Jan 19 2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

Just a few comments to throw in here Some will be a bit

Firstly, welcome to ancientdracos! I hope you'll find some friends here at MoM. Keep at it! Always good to see new posters who have new opinions about things!

Secondly, LOTR-the-films were great. I really liked them. LOTR-the-books were great. I really liked them. Take each for what they are. The films brought Tolkein and all of his works to areas of the population who had, possibly, not picked up a book, or even walked into a bookshop (I know, heathens that they are LOL). And if that trip to the bookshop (or library) for Tolkein was the start of a long and beautiful journey of exploration for those people, how can it be a bad thing?

Thirdly, there are no original scenarios any more! Everything, in general, has been done. It's just the setting or the subtle twist or the characterisations that are "original". All the film companies need are films which are original enough.

Lastly (and thankfully! LOL), I am very excited about the Pern movie product. I doubt that it will please all the fans all the time (even Anne, seemingly, can't manage that ......), and there will be much moaning and whining. But, as I said about the LOTR, anything (within reason, obviously) that brings Pern into a more "mainstream" setting and introduces people to not only Anne and her writings, but to books and literacy in general, can only be a positive.

(That said, I really hope that it doesn't both blow AND suck at the same time ..... )
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20 2008, 04:34 AM   #12
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Love your last line Gidget, I may yet use it!

I do hope Pern works as a movie, I for one am approaching it with curiosity. As long as it stays faithful to the spirit of the settings, even while changing details, I'm happy.

I loved the LotR movies and still do, especially the extended versions, which are more faithful to the original book than the cinema releases. Faramir as he was in the book would not have worked in the movies, because the intent was to show that the Ring corrupted all humans who came in contact with it. The one change I hated was the way Eowyn displayed her love for Aragorn. She worshiped him from afar.

Last edited by granath; Jan 20 2008 at 05:25 AM.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20 2008, 04:49 AM   #13
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
LOL I'd love to say it was mine, but I picked it up from an episode of The Simpsons (lovely high-brow viewing!), and it stuck!

Quote:
I do hope Pern works as a movie, I for one am approaching it with curiosity. As long as it stays faithful to the spirit of the settings, even while changing details, I'm happy.
Emphasis my own, obviously. But that's the key phrase, I think. As long as it stays faithful to the spirit of the books.
Old Jan 20 2008, 07:09 AM   #14
Jayru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget2 View Post
As long as it stays faithful to the spirit of the books.
i think that's what will sell it to me at the end of the day. I can't help but want to see it on the big screen, BUT I just don't want to hate it
Old Jan 20 2008, 07:10 AM   #15
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Oh please, you'd be first in the queue to buy a ticket anyway!!!
Old Jan 20 2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Jayru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget2 View Post
Oh please, you'd be first in the queue to buy a ticket anyway!!!
me?

Damn right!
Old Jan 21 2008, 11:25 AM   #17
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post

I loved the LotR movies and still do, especially the extended versions, which are more faithful to the original book than the cinema releases. Faramir as he was in the book would not have worked in the movies, because the intent was to show that the Ring corrupted all humans who came in contact with it. The one change I hated was the way Eowyn displayed her love for Aragorn. She worshiped him from afar.
I didn't mind the Arwyn changes. I'm glad they cut Tom Bombadill. Glad they cut the mountain people that the Rohan met on the way to the Minas Tireth. I felt they were faithful to the spirit of Eowyn, as she did fawn for Aragorn in the books. (Maybe not as much as in the movies.)

The only change that I did mind was what they did to Faramir. Even that wasn't a deal killer. I just thought they pretty much stayed true to each character from the book with the exception of Faramir. But at least they did have him doing the right thing in the end, which kept his character close to the book. I'd have been really upset if they had made Frodo and Sam have to escape from Faramir, instead of him letting them go.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2008, 11:41 AM   #18
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Also, be realistic. It jst isn't possible to put three thick volumes into a movie in only 9 hours or so. I honestly think you have to admire what Jackson has done with the time/budget he had available. It's very "childish" I think to "stay pure" and say he "raped" the books or story.
Honestly, props to Jackson for paring down a truly massive work into something watchable. With no singing (except at the very end.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2008, 09:27 PM   #19
proserpine
Soul-Eaters

Fan of: Moreta

You know, they could have cut most of Frodo's stuff and kept all the action and that last movie would have been about ten times more awesome in my opinion, which is probably why I ended up skipping all the Frodo stuff when I finally got around to watching the thing. Short attention span, what can I say?

At any rate, I can recall having been disappointed with book movies not matching their source, but never outright upset about it. Unless the author thinks it's bad, or the changes are really horrible, like with the Earthsea miniseries.
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2008, 12:42 AM   #20
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Yeah, well, the Frodo story was sort of the point of it all. Most of the cuts they did were to take away a lot of the stuff that wasn't connected to Frodo either directly or indirectly. In the extended edition they gave a lot of TB's lines to Treebeard, which I thought was cool. Most of the dialog was lifted straight from the book, even though they sometimes changed the place or the character who said it.

They were also smart in moving Boromir's death from the start of Two Towers to the climax of Fellowship, and likewise to move Shelob to Return.

I'm willing to give the Pern movie(s) a chance.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2008, 10:26 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I'll sure be seeing that Pern movies several times even if it's complete trash!

And I'll be buying multiple copies of the DVD even if it is atrocious...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2008, 10:36 AM   #22
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Yeah, I'll be seeing it and buying the DVD.

Probably buy a boatload of promotional items, too!
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2008, 12:49 PM   #23
J'rem
Loo Cow

Fan of: Pern-Talent-PlanetPirates
Now Reading: The Drifters - James Michener

Argh, I need coordinates for a between-time jump to the future to see what results!

(Yes, I know, I'm a dimglow, future jumps are dangerous, yadda yadda)

I guess I'll have to get there the old-fashioned way ... waiting.
J'rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2008, 01:27 PM   #24
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

If you made sure you were not whare you jumped to than you would be safe.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2008, 05:18 PM   #25
Sandi

Oh Shalyn, Promotional Items! I'd not thought of them! I'm imagining a set of little plastic dragons like the "action figures" based on Star Wars or Willow. What fun!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2008, 11:12 PM   #26
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I never could get into reading Tolkien and thought I'd give the movies a try and couldn't get into them either. So I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one.
I certainly hope that any Pern movie is one that Anne can approve, if she approves, then I'll be ok with whatever they do to it. I too will purchase the DVDs and promo items for the collection.......regardless of whether it's good or not. But.....I do think there's enough good stuff in Anne's books to make a good movie, so long as they stick to the main things and KEEP them the way Anne describes them, like Thread and Between.
And as Gidget2 has said, if it gets folks out there reading Anne's books then it's all to the good!
Old Jan 25 2008, 04:25 AM   #27
Thea
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I guess I'm another one who'd watch the movie regardless of how good it is. And I completely agree - if it gets more people reading the books then it's great!

Oh, and I love the idea of Pern film merchandise/promo items!
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2008, 03:16 AM   #28
scooterbullock

LotR = Good enough for me.

Sin City = Proof Hollywood can make accurate film adaptions. (Granted, it was a Graphic Novel, and they actually had the author co-direct it) For every panel in the graphic novel, there was a scene in the film, and they looked almost exactly like each other.

Eragon = Piece of crap movie proving that the Hollywood stereotype is generally true. (Also, makes me fear what they'd do to a Dragonflight movie...)

Overall: Me scared... unless Anne actually helps direct. But chances are slim to none .
Old Jan 31 2008, 04:19 AM   #29
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
Yeah, I'll be seeing it and buying the DVD.

Probably buy a boatload of promotional items, too!
Movie Posters!

Makes you wonder what they'll have them look like. *is trying to imagine a F'lar/Lessa one*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2008, 10:18 AM   #30
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
Movie Posters!

Makes you wonder what they'll have them look like. *is trying to imagine a F'lar/Lessa one*
I could see a standard lover's pose where they are looking into each other's eyes. And in the background you see their dragons, maybe with entwined necks.

DG, here's a similar photo to what I'm talking about, but without the dragons.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0338526/2299-D58-3.jpg

GH
Old Feb 1 2008, 01:14 AM   #31
Dragongirl
Weyrling

GH, the first one wouldn't work. ><

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Feb 1 2008, 01:15 AM   #32
Dragongirl
Weyrling

I certainly like the second one though, I can imagine it quite well.

(But is there a reason you picked Jackman and Beckingsale? )

Old Feb 1 2008, 10:41 AM   #33
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
I certainly like the second one though, I can imagine it quite well.

(But is there a reason you picked Jackman and Beckingsale? )
Both are the same picture.

I know that Jackman gets you all bothered, and I'm kinda hot for Kate.

Of course, a better F'lar/Lessa pairing that involves Jackman might be with Anna Paquinn, but she's probably too old for Lessa now, but Jackman and Paquinn would have been about the right ages in the first X-men movie.

GH
Old Feb 2 2008, 05:43 PM   #34
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

OK. Where can I pre-order my movie posters, my action figures, my ovoid o' Thread (and don't tell me they won't have that. Maybe even edible Thread in ovoids!), my stuffed dragon, my break-away-egg that will give me my own weyrling dragon.

Then there would be the Furbie-style dragons, the T-shirts, hats, bags, scarves..........
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2008, 04:42 AM   #35
Thea
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Oh, Shalyn, they sound great! I'd definitely start collecting Pern movie memorabilia. They'd probably even do action figures, too.
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2008, 07:16 PM   #36
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Me bags "F'nor" action figure then. I reckon he'd be hotter then F'lar. A girl can't help dream on, even if I'm married to a very love-able, handsome man (in my eyes, he might not be the hot tamily for anyone else - hubba, hubba! but he is for me). Me'thinks that thread could end up as licorice bombs with the chocolate coating on them - either as normal black aniseed or raspberry flavoured.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2008, 03:23 AM   #37
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Don't tempt me into a "which brother is hotter" argument.

I'm a poster girl. I'd totally be going for the posters.

Old Feb 4 2008, 10:00 AM   #38
R'na
Dragonrider

Fan of: dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Random Fanfiction

I like all the female characters I don't think I could focus on one.
R'na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2008, 01:10 PM   #39
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

All I have to say is that if they manage to create a film anywhere near as masterful in every aspect as PJ's Lord of the Rings, it will be a massive success. NO movie can be completely faithful to the book (unless it's made from a graphic novel, of which 300 and Sin City were unbelievably accurate, except for a couple small things), so deviations are to be expected. Peter Jackson did make changes, but they were, for the most part, for the best of the film and helped the story along. I love both the movies and books, and the movies remain my favorite of all time.

If they can manage to assemble an engaging cast with a story that stays fairly faithful to the books, convincing environments, and dragons which aren't "hollywoodized" then I'll be happy
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2008, 01:56 PM   #40
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

Hollywood and the what an author writes are always subject to some change.
I have read Interview with a Vampire, I loved the books but I was so disapointted in the movie.

I would love to see a Pern movie. I know that a couple of years ago Scifi Magazine had a 1st draft of a movie for Pern. More like the begining of it, with Lessa, Kylara, and Jaxom living at Ruthta(I think I spelled it wrong) and them all being Druges. I read that and threw the magazine out with finishing the whole thing.
Until I see the movie I will hold my tongue.

If there is going to be a movie I want action figures, posters(love posters), stuff animals(Ruth comes to mind)
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote