A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Dec 16 2007, 11:09 AM   #1
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint
Default It's Snowing Again....

This is the most snow that we gotten before Christmas in a couple of years. I don't remember the last time we had two major snow storms before Christmas. We got about two feet in the first snow storm, and there have been predictions of 8 inches in this one, but I have a feeling it's going to be more than that. It's very sad when you start to get tired of snow in December. We still have to get through January, and February. Even, then, at least up here, the snow doesn't disappear until March, and there's always the possibility of a snow storm in April.

It's been snowing for at least 4 hours where I am, but this storm is hitting a lot of people in the North Eastern US. The weather people have been calling this a Nor'Easter, so we'll just have to wait and see how much snow we get.

Anyone else in the North Eastern US have any high snow accumulations?

I do know one thing, today is a day to sit around the house, relax, study for finals, and watch the snow fall.
Old Dec 16 2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes
Default Re: It's Snowing Again....

I live in Iowa, and we've been getting a fair amount of snow, but our biggest problem has been the ice storms. You can't walk one block without branches falling on you!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Caflifornia here...sorry ladies but its sunny warmish and very lovely.I will gladly send you both some warm and cheering thoughts out your way if you think it would help.
Why don't you both go find yourself a comfy chair in the MoM Headquarters...and I'll make sure you get to sit by a sunny window by the fire...and I will bring you both some hot cocoa...now that should warm you both us some???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2007, 11:28 AM   #4
r2005
Crafter
Student

We haven't had an ice storm since the big one in 1998, and my family was luckier than a lot of other people because we only lost power for a few days. There were people who didn't have power for a lot longer than that.

One of my lasting memories of that storm was that the ice was so thick on the ground, my friends and I were able to ice skate in their back yard.
Old Dec 16 2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

OH Lord....that is an awful lot of ice. Good luck stay safe and warm.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Deb
Inactive

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

Canadian here!! From southern Ontario. I think this storm hit us after 1 am last night/this morning. I shoveled my back deck (for my dog!) this morning around 9:30. There was about 7 inches then...it is still snowing and not likely to stop until later tonight..... Since 9:30 another 1 1/2 inches have fallen!! And I have to go out soon...I have a snow shovelling contract with a friend and an Open House to attend!!

It'll be interesting to see what the final tally is!! Imagine: a White Christmas shall be had....finally!!! It's been years since we have had anything more than slushy stuff on the ground!! Or snow that lasts more than an hour or two on Christmas morning! (And I'm not even in the "snow belt"!!)
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

We just got rain instead of the predicted snow. And I'm happy about it since we're driving to Philadelphia for the day today.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

This is the worst ice storm we've ever had in Oklahoma. Not even when it hit a stretch of the state which included Muskogee in 2005. I walked out onto the front porch and all you could hear was the popping and cracking of tree limbs and the occasional avalanche of ice as they fell. Had 4 limbs from 4 to 6 inches in diameter fall on the porch roof and half the Hackberry tree fell - at an angle that made it miss the house but now covers the patio. Neighbor brought a gas chainsaw (I have two electric chainsaws, but I am NOT going to use an extension chord on wet ground !) and we got the driveway cleaned up, but a pro is coming to do the rest. I love my neighbor!
A full 1/6th of the population of Oklahoma (600,000 of little over 3 million) had no electric. Four days is the longest we've been without electric and my BIL still has no electric thus no heat. It has been reported that some people won't have electricity until after Christmas ! The snow they were predicting for last Friday was a bust, thank God. It just put a good dusting on the ground.
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2007, 12:46 PM   #9
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

if only it WOULD snow here...
i'd quite happily take some of your snow, used to have lots when i was little - now all we get is a few flake that don't settle in march/april for a few days....
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Deb
Inactive

Well, it's almost 4:30 pm now... It's still coming down, but lightly, and blowing around alot. I would have to say we probably got a total of 11 or so inches!! With drifting, it's pretty deep in places!! Driving is interesting!! Especially on the roads that haven't been plowed yet!! But it is relatively light snow, not that back breaking wet snow...thank goodness!! I will still have to go out later tonight to do my friends driveway, after the plow comes round and blocks her driveway.....that is usually back breaking work...oh well...someones gotta do it!!
Old Dec 16 2007, 07:56 PM   #11
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

The weather people called for us to get up to a 1/4 inch of ice. We got no ice at all. Very little rain either. I hate snow, but would much rather have snow than ice any day.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2007, 12:24 PM   #12
r2005
Crafter
Student

The storm only dropped a little more than 6 inches on us. We get a nice little break, and there's supposed to be more snow on Wed.

I guess we're getting our wish for a White Christmas.
Old Dec 17 2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Caoilfhionn
Inactive

Now Reading: Whatever's handy
Re: It's Snowing Again....

We only got a dusting here, it snowed quite a lot but it was so windy it didn't stay down. I don't think we'll have a white Christmas but at least it's snowed once in December--I'm fed up with freezing temperatures but nothing to show for it!
Caoilfhionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2007, 01:41 PM   #14
Brenda

We got about six inches here after it snowed literally all day Saturday! My parents had called me Friday morning and said I'd better come home that night, even late, if I could possibly manage it. It was perfect, clear weather, empty roads, and by morning there were three inches on the ground...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2007, 04:48 PM   #15
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

We're also getting more snow than we have for a while. It snowed almost every day the first week of the month, then the snow melted for a few days. It was back as of Saturday, and we got more Sunday.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2007, 02:13 PM   #16
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Re: It's Snowing Again....

*envious*

I wish it would snow here, but if it comes on Christmas I can wait

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2007, 04:06 PM   #17
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

We have a very thick layer of white frost (it was -10 this morning ) but are still waiting for the "real thing"
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2007, 05:41 AM   #18
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

-3 is about the coldest we've had so far... i want snow... *sniff*
Old Dec 20 2007, 09:47 AM   #19
r2005
Crafter
Student

It's lightly snowing again here as I type this message.

I think we're in for some bitterly cold days within the next week, but I haven't looked at the weather report recently.

Flamecat, if you want to come to my hometown in Maine, and take a foot of snow away, you're welcome to it. Since we have nearly 3 feet, there will still be plently for us to have a white Christmas.
Old Dec 20 2007, 10:37 AM   #20
Deb
Inactive

We've been quite "warm" of late here in Ontario. A lot of the snow has melted, but we too will still have enough for a white Christmas!!
Old Dec 29 2007, 11:51 AM   #21
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2005 View Post

Flamecat, if you want to come to my hometown in Maine, and take a foot of snow away, you're welcome to it. Since we have nearly 3 feet, there will still be plently for us to have a white Christmas.
aww.. thanks

i'll have to be there in spirit tho'
Old Dec 29 2007, 10:23 PM   #22
r2005
Crafter
Student

It rained right before Christmas, and melted a whole bunch of snow away. We still had a white Christmas, but it was with less snow.

It did snow again today, so the snow piles are starting to get back up. I'm sure there will be more snow to come, and January and February are still to come.
Old Dec 30 2007, 03:49 AM   #23
Thea
Inactive

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I'm jealous! We rarely get snow any more in my neck of the woods, and the closest we came this year was a thick layer of frost.

Ah, well...
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2007, 11:17 AM   #24
r2005
Crafter
Student

Your welcome to have some of our snow.

I'd offer all the snow in the state, but then the snowmobilers and the skiers wouldn't be very happy.
Old Dec 30 2007, 05:23 PM   #25
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

We had a thin layer of snow just before Christmas, but then it melted away Since then it's been unseasonably warm, above zero, so everyone is talking about global warming
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2007, 12:12 AM   #26
r2005
Crafter
Student

We're supposed to get another 6-10 inches tonight through tomorrow morning, but it hasn't started yet. I'm still amazed at how much snow we've gotten because ,as I'm sure I've already stated, it's been a few years since we've gotten this much snow in December.
Old Dec 31 2007, 09:05 AM   #27
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

We had lots of beautiful snow in Wisconsin for Christmas, with more falling every couple of days (including some that delayed us coming home by one day). My children hopefully got their fill of playing in it for a while, since there's none back home in Maryland. (And I got to enjoy not having to go out with them every time, thanks to abundant aunts and uncles!)
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2007, 02:06 PM   #28
r2005
Crafter
Student

It did eventually start snowing, and I don't know when it did. However, it looks like it's dropped at least another 6 inches down, and it's still snowing pretty heavily. Usually, we don't get tired of snow until the end of January or the beginning of February. It's the end of the December and I'm already tired of snow.
Old Dec 31 2007, 02:06 PM   #29
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Well we're (apparently) due for a sprinkle of the stuff around Fridayish.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2007, 08:03 PM   #30
bisbe
Inactive

Fan of: All of them
Now Reading: the one from the library!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
We had lots of beautiful snow in Wisconsin for Christmas, with more falling every couple of days (including some that delayed us coming home by one day). My children hopefully got their fill of playing in it for a while, since there's none back home in Maryland. (And I got to enjoy not having to go out with them every time, thanks to abundant aunts and uncles!)
And it's still snowing here! The last I heard we could break the record for the most snow in December in Madison WI. Even my snow crazy dogs are tired of the white stuff!
bisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2007, 08:07 PM   #31
Emeraldcity

We have had an unusual amount of snow for Seattle as well. Well in the mountains and foothills anyway. We don't ever get much down here at sea level. We did get snow on Christmas Day but typical for us it was melted by the end of the day. But one of the ski resorts had to close a couple of ski runs because there was too much snow and the chair lift couldn't run.....LOL LOL That's a lot of snow!
Old Jan 1 2008, 05:37 AM   #32
Thea
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Well we're (apparently) due for a sprinkle of the stuff around Fridayish.
Ooh, I just checked the weather on the BBC website, and we're supposed to get some snow on Thursday in my region (Lincolnshire). It'll be interesting to see whether we do get any snow this time.
Old Jan 1 2008, 10:27 PM   #33
r2005
Crafter
Student

Really, I don't think it's going to stop snowing here until the beginning of March. It's the first day of the new year, and it's still snowing. I've lost track of all of these storms. I don't think it's supposed to stop until tomorrow morning, or at least that's when the storm warnings are ending since the last time I checked the weather report.

Really, anyone want some snow? I'd be glad to send some to someone who doesn't have any.
Old Jan 2 2008, 05:39 PM   #34
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

We were supossed to get flurries on and off this morning, no accumilation.

I went to work for 8am in an inch and a half of new snow. It didn't stop until almost noon, and I think we got a total of 4"
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2008, 07:17 PM   #35
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Very cold our pipes are frozen again.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2008, 10:43 PM   #36
r2005
Crafter
Student

I don't have any pictures uploaded right now, but you would not believe the size of the snow banks right now. They are really high after having to use the snow blower what seems like the thousandth time in only a couple of days.

It has to stop snowing, or the icy patch on the front steps will never go away. I keep shoveling off those steps and dumping ice met on it, but all those inches of snow keep compounding the problem.

I know that snow storms are the price I pay for living in Maine, and most of the time it's not too bad in the winter, minus the days with the below freezing wind chills, but really, everyone in the state needs a break.
Old Jan 3 2008, 08:53 AM   #37
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Jubiiiii, R2005 has sent some snow to Denmark. Thank you

It is rather windy and showing, already snow stays on the roof tops. Temperature -1 celcius.

I really do like snow and want more

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2008, 02:14 PM   #38
Thea
Inactive

Oh well - it looks like the weather forecast was wrong. We didn't get any snow at all today (although there's still some forecast for overnight). It's still pretty cold, though!
Old Jan 3 2008, 06:13 PM   #39
Hans
Master Archivist

Well, just saw on the telly that Scotland, Spain and especially Romania and Bulgaria had more than a fair share

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2008, 11:35 PM   #40
r2005
Crafter
Student

I would really rather have snow than bitterly cold weather. I didn't have any reason to venture outside today, but I know that it is still cold after looking at the thermometer on the kitchen window.

snow storm versus below zero , I'll take the snow.