A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 3 2008, 12:20 PM   #1
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Most capable Weyrwoman

Okay, I'm not asking who your favorite is. I know some people have some pretty strong feelings about some of the characters.

However, capability and likability do not always (or perhaps even often) go hand in hand. Bearing this in mind, of the various Weyrwomen described in the many stories, who would you consider the most capable (as in given a choice you would ride under her command)?
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: Most capable Weyrwoman

Moreta. She really takes her job seriously.

I don't think I'd want to actually be directly under Lessa...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

Zulaya and Moreta, for certain. Zulaya had the skill to run a Weyr, and she genuinely cared about all the riders within it. She was also concerned with events outside the Weyr, such as with Chalkin, and she was one of Iantine's supporters when he was finally free of Bitra, right when he needed help.

Moreta was a heroine, plain and simple, but she was also just a good woman. She took the duties of the Weyr seriously, and she was always ready to aid a wounded dragon. There were times when she made mistakes in the care of a dragon, especially with Tamianth of another Weyr, but she owned up to her mistakes, and her swift actions to correct the mess helped save lives, when the gratitude of Tamianth's rider loaned her some of the 'riders needed to distribute the serum.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot Sorka! She worked her a-s off too, just as hard as Sean, in order to keep the Weyr going, the Queens' Wing flying, and all the dragon bloodlines in order.
Multi-Facets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Brenda

And if Tamianth had been in the same Weyr, she would have spotted the problem a lot sooner.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2008, 07:24 PM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Lessa, even though she's an over-bearing task master, she will get down and dirty if needs be.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Moreta. Now, in fairness, she's the only one we get to see in detail in a "normal" Weyr situation (before the plauge goes pandemic), but she seems to have the best grasp of how to keep a Weyr running.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2008, 12:18 AM   #7
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
Zulaya and Moreta, for certain. Zulaya had the skill to run a Weyr, and she genuinely cared about all the riders within it. She was also concerned with events outside the Weyr, such as with Chalkin, and she was one of Iantine's supporters when he was finally free of Bitra, right when he needed help.

Moreta was a heroine, plain and simple, but she was also just a good woman. She took the duties of the Weyr seriously, and she was always ready to aid a wounded dragon. There were times when she made mistakes in the care of a dragon, especially with Tamianth of another Weyr, but she owned up to her mistakes, and her swift actions to correct the mess helped save lives, when the gratitude of Tamianth's rider loaned her some of the 'riders needed to distribute the serum.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot Sorka! She worked her a-s off too, just as hard as Sean, in order to keep the Weyr going, the Queens' Wing flying, and all the dragon bloodlines in order.
I'll personally second Zulaya.
Old Feb 4 2008, 02:45 AM   #8
Thea
Inactive

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I'll add my vote for Moreta, for the same reasons as above. Zulaya would be a close second, though.
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2008, 03:19 AM   #9
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Zulaya for reasons already stated. Same goes for Moreta.

Lessa too in that, though she's a prideful and at times bitchy person, she still isn't afraid to get down and dirty and work with her cohorts to get a job done.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Deb
Inactive

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

Zulaya and Moreta.....like many others here. Lessa may make for a demanding Weyrwoman, but if you do your own jobs right and don't mess up and make stupid mistakes often....living in her Weyr would be just fine! As a perfectionist myself I understand that quality in others!! I would have no problems living in a Weyr under Lessa's direction.

Each of these Weyrwomen exhibit the quality of doing everthing in their power for the good of Dragonkind and Pern. This I understand!!
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2008, 12:18 PM   #11
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Sorka, Morera & Lessa.
We realy do not know much about the 9th pass Werywoman except Lessa.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2008, 07:22 PM   #12
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Sorka really made little impression on me.

Torene I liked, but we saw little of her skills.

Irene and Laura seemed capable, but Zulaya throughly overshadowed them, and she proved deft and subtle, as well as forceful and compassionate. Zulaya brought the full show and we got to see it.

Moreta struck me as talented and worthy of mention, but (and it has been a long time) I'm not sure she seemed to handle Sh'gall as well as Zulaya managed B'ner and K'vin.

Of the Oldtimers, I seem to recall Merika and Mardra as bitter and provincial, but able to manage their Weyrs. Bedella seems to have been regarded as vapid. I recall Nadira being pretty but little about her skills. Fanna seems to have been well-regarded.

Lessa is imperious and volatile, a martinet in female guise and a temperamental leader is seldom attractive or entirely effective. Lessa gets something of a pass for never having been properly trained and doing well in spite of it all, but what she'd be like without F'lar to reign her in bears some disturbing contemplation. She is very "bang-bang," very "black&white" and I'm sure she has managed a number of petty injustices in her extremes.

Kylara is just a self-centered disaster who doesn't even bother to attempt the job, shoving it off on her juniors. A waste of skin.

I don't recall the other 9th Pass weyrwomen.

I'll reaffirm my preference for Zulaya.
Old Feb 5 2008, 10:33 AM   #13
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Okay, I'm not asking who your favorite is. I know some people have some pretty strong feelings about some of the characters.

However, capability and likability do not always (or perhaps even often) go hand in hand. Bearing this in mind, of the various Weyrwomen described in the many stories, who would you consider the most capable (as in given a choice you would ride under her command)?
Sorka - for the same reasons as Sean. Being first means that you have to anticipate which mistakes you might make, so you can try to lessen their impact. Whereas others have tradition and lessons to help.

Moreta

Lessa - While some have given credit to F'lar for helping to reign her in, I'm giving more credit to Manora. Having a headwoman who knows what she is doing can make a Weyrwoman's job much easier. Other than the supply problem, Lessa didn't have to worry about the more mundane problems of the Weyr.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2008, 02:08 PM   #14
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

sorka, lessa for the simple fact that both had to learn all about the dragons.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2008, 10:36 PM   #15
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
Sorka - for the same reasons as Sean. Being first means that you have to anticipate which mistakes you might make, so you can try to lessen their impact. Whereas others have tradition and lessons to help.

Moreta

Lessa - While some have given credit to F'lar for helping to reign her in, I'm giving more credit to Manora. Having a headwoman who knows what she is doing can make a Weyrwoman's job much easier. Other than the supply problem, Lessa didn't have to worry about the more mundane problems of the Weyr.

GH
Concur on giving Manora her due. Good non-comms are worth their weight in gold.
Old Feb 7 2008, 02:40 PM   #16
J'rem
Inactive

Fan of: Pern-Talent-PlanetPirates
Now Reading: The Drifters - James Michener

Leri. Much of what we admire in Moreta was inculcated by Leri's training. She commanded huge respect both within and outside the Weyrs.

Brekke. Her issues aside, Brekke took on the majority of Senior Weyrwoman duties (due to Kylara's negligence) and performed them well, while dealing with a young queen who still needed a lot of care, and nursing the most heavily injured dragonriders.
J'rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2008, 12:46 AM   #17
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'rem View Post
Leri. Much of what we admire in Moreta was inculcated by Leri's training. She commanded huge respect both within and outside the Weyrs.

Brekke. Her issues aside, Brekke took on the majority of Senior Weyrwoman duties (due to Kylara's negligence) and performed them well, while dealing with a young queen who still needed a lot of care, and nursing the most heavily injured dragonriders.
Good point about Leri.

I can't separate Brekke from her failure in something essential to a Weyrwoman. Yes, she was great at everything else, but when push came to shove she wasn't able to sacrifice her mores even if it would have helped her handle matters when Wirenth rose. Ergo, she was unprepared for the event and whatever she might have been able to do to moderate it could not be done.
Old Feb 8 2008, 04:32 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

J'rem, I most heartily agree.....Leri is also who I would choose. She was a tower of strength for her weyr. She above all other Weyrwomen of her time was respected and cherrished for her wise leadership. Moreta's strength and wisdom came from being taught by and learning from Leri....not to take anything away from Moreta's bravery, but I look to the one that taught her, and that she respected more than anyone else for the true Weyrwoman leader.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2008, 11:15 PM   #19
J'rem
Inactive

Fan of: Pern-Talent-PlanetPirates
Now Reading: The Drifters - James Michener

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Good point about Leri.

I can't separate Brekke from her failure in something essential to a Weyrwoman. Yes, she was great at everything else, but when push came to shove she wasn't able to sacrifice her mores even if it would have helped her handle matters when Wirenth rose. Ergo, she was unprepared for the event and whatever she might have been able to do to moderate it could not be done.
I agree that Brekke failed in an essential facet of being a Weyrwoman ... but I tend to overlook that, as it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to overcome your earliest upbringing and training. Brekke was not weyrbred, she was craftbred, a far more conservative upbringing (though not as much so as the holdbred). Hangups aside, she was extremely responsible and an excellent manager of a Weyr.

Had things gone a different direction, she would have mated with a bronze rider (or possibly F'nor, the best solution for her personally) and her inherently sensible nature would probably have put that in perspective and she would have continued to be the sensible, responsible Weyrwoman that many characters in the novels lauded her for. After all, a mating flight is an inevitability for a queen or green rider. All her worries about "inhibiting Wirenth" didn't matter a grain of sand in Igen when Wirenth rose.

I see many similarities between Tai and Brekke. To me, one of the most interesting facets of the alien/human symbiosis of the dragons and humans is the sexual aspect. Especially considering the sexual hangups of many cultures here on Earth. But that is a whole 'nother discussion.
J'rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2008, 10:56 PM   #20
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'rem View Post
I agree that Brekke failed in an essential facet of being a Weyrwoman ... but I tend to overlook that, as it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to overcome your earliest upbringing and training. Brekke was not weyrbred, she was craftbred, a far more conservative upbringing (though not as much so as the holdbred). Hangups aside, she was extremely responsible and an excellent manager of a Weyr.

Had things gone a different direction, she would have mated with a bronze rider (or possibly F'nor, the best solution for her personally) and her inherently sensible nature would probably have put that in perspective and she would have continued to be the sensible, responsible Weyrwoman that many characters in the novels lauded her for. After all, a mating flight is an inevitability for a queen or green rider. All her worries about "inhibiting Wirenth" didn't matter a grain of sand in Igen when Wirenth rose.

I see many similarities between Tai and Brekke. To me, one of the most interesting facets of the alien/human symbiosis of the dragons and humans is the sexual aspect. Especially considering the sexual hangups of many cultures here on Earth. But that is a whole 'nother discussion.
I'm still cold to Brekke. Reads more like she's qualified to be headwoman of a Weyr's Lower Caverns than Weyrwoman. A sensible, responsible, but ultimately retiring personality does not a good leader make. A Weyrwoman must be able to command, and Brekke lacked that trait. I'll take Lessa, with all her mercurial moods over Brekke as a Weyrwoman any day, but my vote is still for Zulaya.
Old Feb 13 2008, 12:09 AM   #21
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I think given the chance to mature a little more then Brekke would have been a good weyrwoman. She never realy had a chane to show what she could do.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote