A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Dec 18 2007, 05:11 PM   #1
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
So...why do you fic? And, keeping the crackbunnies away...

I'm currently working on three works of AMC fanfiction now (sadly, bouncing back and forth among them so no new chapters quite yet). And I suddenly had the urge to ask everyone, Pern and non-Pern fic writers, why exactly do you write fic?

Me...I write Talent fanfiction (I like Pern, but Pern fanfic is so common I wanted to explore some of AMC's other worlds), and I write it because I've somehow internalized the world enough that these burning questions, and/or ridiculous scenes just pop into my head. Sometimes they're really interesting, and I have to start writing them to their conclusion. Sometimes they're rather...cracktastic. And like an addict, I have to write those too.

Which can make things difficult, as I have a rather dirty sense of humor, but my favorite character to write (Afra Lyon) is pretty much the polar opposite of that. And I have to keep my jokes within Anne-approved boundaries. (I'm toeing the line, but I haven't crossed it!)

Things I've managed to incorporate into otherwise serious fic:

- Unhealthy cracks about Japanese tentacle animation.
- "I, for one, welcome our new mustard-eating overlords!"
- Photoshopped Earth Tower Calenders with Talent heads attached to grotesquely muscle-bound bodies.

Things I've failed to incorporate into my fic due to unhealthy levels of crack:

- Characters being teleported so quickly and with so little thought they end up in front of an audience in their underoos.
- "Coonies are like STDs". I find this concept so hilarious, and if you're familiar with Afra Lyon and how Coonies were introduced to Callisto station, I'm sure you'd laugh too. If this joke was translated to Pern fandom, it would be, "Fire lizards are like STDs". Which opens up all sorts of non-canon hilarity, considering fire lizards were introduced to the Harper Hall by Menolly, and Robinton and Sebel were the first ones to have them. (BTW, much <3 for the Harpers. No offense meant, and I know STDs don't exist on Pern.)

So, I write because the characters have taken over my brain, and sometimes the result is highly cracktastic and humorous to me, thick with in-jokes and meta. I try to edit things so it doesn't go overboard, though.

Why do you write?
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: So...why do you fic? And, keeping the crackbunnies away...

For me it's usually one of two things:

Either I want to write a scene that was implied but not actually shown, such as Mirrim waiting in the Lower Caverns, too scared to go to the hatching (Mirrim's Vigil) or the reaction at Half-Circle Seahold when Elgion returns with news that Menolly is not only alive, but going to the Harper Hall! (News From the Weyr)

Or I get sort of a "what-if" question in my head.

What if Jaxom had not jumped down to help the little egg hatch? (Dragonsong: An Alternate Tune)

What if a child saw a ghost in those old back tunnels, and no one believed them - except that a fire lizard saw it too? (Ghost in the Tunnels)

My story Changes at Riverbend Hold started out as a what-if, but the characters I put into it were not the type to do what the what-if required. But I had gotten fond of them, and the whole ferry-type hold, so I made it into sort of a slice-of-life story.

Oh, and there are STDs on Pern. It's pretty certain that's what Meron was died of.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2007, 09:13 PM   #3
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I've only really written one story, and it has nothing to do with any of Anne's worlds. It started out really short, it's a little longer now, and maybe someday I'll get it to some sort of satisfactory level. I have a very hard time with dialogue in stories so it's difficult to flesh things out. A couple people have read it.

The reason I wrote it was because I find the idea of twins interesting and I happened to be reminded of the old Star Trek episode where the crew members personalities are split ("good vs. evil") and I wanted to explore that, with a twist.

Otherwise, I don't write. I'd rather read or sew.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2007, 09:36 PM   #4
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

[offtopic] Brenda - I thought it was some form of cancer that he died of. But then I've not read Dragondrums in a long while. [/offtopic]
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

After much long discussion about Meron's illness, it was decided that he died from syphillus.

Actually, it couldn't have been cancer because several people were either saying or thinking that he got what he deserved - dying from something having to do with his 'appetites'. Sexual was implied, and I don't know of any disease that's caused by having sex, other than an STD.

I like to fill in the blanks, and bring some dimension to one-dimensional characters. Brekke's Story gives some dimension to Kylara, and actually gives Brekke a point.

I'm currently working on a fic starring Mardra. It kind of took on a life of its own, because something I thought would be about 10 chapters long has turned into 19 and still counting.

I also like to write to insert my thoughts and theories into a story, a-la Dragonsue.

Besides, it's fun.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

I'll just agree with everyone else.

Sometimes it's to explore a question or issue, sometimes to bring depth to minor characters, and sometimes it's just because the world's a fun place and the original characters living in my head decide to run off and cause havoc in it.

My current long-project is more of a... nah, you'll have to wait for the details, as it's still in flux!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I do it because I like to write. Like Brenda, I'll get an idea, and just have to put it down. Though usually it's not a missing scene. I mostly write Pern, but I've had one attempt at Star Trek that I don't really like.
Right now, I'm working on a very long Stargate: Atlantis fic that just won't die. I keep thinking of new things to write.. I did manage to fnish three shorter ones. Including my one and only 'missing scene' type story.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.

I have a self-insert Star Trek: Enterprise fic I want to do. Very, very Mary Sue-ish. Actually, it's more of a Mary Sue than a self-insert, but I've really gotten into the head of my character.

Not sure if I'll ever write it. But, I just the Andorians in Enterprise . . .
Old Dec 24 2007, 03:00 PM   #9
OnyxDrake
Jewel Junk

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Too many books!!!

I write speculative "what-ifs" for Pern post Aivas as that's what interests me the most... I like working with my own characters and they sort of jump out with their own stories. Why? Because I like playing in Anne's world.

X
OnyxDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24 2007, 09:27 PM   #10
Shalyn

Strangely enough, Anne's world is really the only world I've ever even wanted to write in. No others have that draw for me.
Old Dec 26 2007, 07:04 PM   #11
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

I fic because
a) I can't stop myself
b) I want to explore Anne's worlds further and - possibly most important -
c) I don't yet have enough faith in the long term viability of the world I've created myself to launch myself fully into it, so I prefer to gain valuable writing experience in those fabulous worlds Anne has supplied us with
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 07:52 AM   #12
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

I 'fic because:
It's fun.
I love to write, but I don't have the talent to actually write any of the novels I have in mind.
It's a cool way to explore possibilities in another world.
If need be, it forces original characters to flesh themselves out, and once that's done, they can be used in original works or in games.
And at the moment, I 'fic because I owe a huge debt to characters I recently killed, and to the online Weyr I'm part of.

When it comes to displaying 'fics, how do you talk yourselves into putting them online, asking for constructive criticism, and bracing yourselves for the worst?
Multi-Facets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 08:17 AM   #13
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post

When it comes to displaying 'fics, how do you talk yourselves into putting them online, asking for constructive criticism, and bracing yourselves for the worst?
Because, thin-skinned as I am, I want to be a better writer. The only way of getting there as far as I can tell is to keep writing, to get feedback, and to pay attention to the concrit you're given. I saw other good writers doing this, not being afraid of feedback, and thought if they could do it, why couldn't I? When there are fics out there like Faye's Dragonchoice, you know you've got something to aspire to. And when there are fics like there are at the opposite end of the quality spectrum... well, it'd take a very special kind of writer to come up with something truly awful, and if you're prepared to work with concrit, I'd say you're VERY unlikely to be in that category. Making that first post though... I started off with a very simple short just to get comfortable with posting.

I do hate the feeling I get when someone says something critical; it's like a combination of anger and shame at myself, and I shouldn't feel it, because I know I'm not perfect and it's well deserved. Then I try and shrug it off, because whatever's been said is almost certainly 100% correct, and something I do need to work on.

Anyone else feel like that?

On the other hand, positive feedback is like a drug to me...
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 03:47 PM   #14
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

Actually... although it's no big secret, I run a Trek based RPG - and have been for the last 11 years. the ammount of stories that have beeb written... makes my head swim. I have to admit that writing fan-fiction helped me to develop as a writer, and helped me to develop my crafting skills, as far as stories go. These days most of what I write are my own ideas, and stuff (I guess I will have to put something up about what's happened with that soon...)

Why fan-fiction? I guess it's easy to play with an established universe. It's to insert your own ideas and characters, and just get on and write, rather then take the plung and develop things from scratch. Its also a good place to find out about your potnetial strengths and weaknesess as an author. Mines an obvious one, I am a dyslexic - but I have a good editor who understands my brain on that score.
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Anneli
Weyrwoman

And that's also a very good question: if one reader gives critical feedback, how should I react? Should I rely completely on the view of one person? Is it really well deserved or could it be that that person themself was maybe in a bad mood when they wrote the feedback? I think for me it depends on whether I know and respect the person giving the feedback.

And yes, positive feedback is like a drug, but, like any drug, it's not particularly helpful "Gee, I love this, more, please " is guaranteed to give me a buzz, but is unlikely to help me write a better solution to a predicament in which my characters are driving me insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
I do hate the feeling I get when someone says something critical; it's like a combination of anger and shame at myself, and I shouldn't feel it, because I know I'm not perfect and it's well deserved. Then I try and shrug it off, because whatever's been said is almost certainly 100% correct, and something I do need to work on.

Anyone else feel like that?

On the other hand, positive feedback is like a drug to me...
Old Jan 19 2008, 11:29 PM   #16
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

For that matter, what keeps 'ficcers from giving up or convincing themselves they should give up on one story and try something else entirely?
Old Jan 20 2008, 05:06 AM   #17
Jayru

Quote:
For that matter, what keeps 'ficcers from giving up or convincing themselves they should give up on one story and try something else entirely?
That's not just 'ficcers, but writers in general. I think the only answer is; they/we have a story to tell
Old Jan 20 2008, 06:33 AM   #18
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Good point. This is true. (nods thoughtfully)
Old Jan 20 2008, 07:55 AM   #19
Jayru

And whilst, no doubt, some critics say thing to try and stop some people from writing, I think the mark of a good writier is being able to sift through critic that's useful, and that which is clearly not objective.
Old Mar 6 2008, 04:06 PM   #20
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

I have not writtin any fanfic buy I do love to write. Although sometimes I tend to get carried away with the details Unfortunately it seems that my muse is calculus. Yes, calculus, I didn't make it through a single class without popping open my journal to write some new chapter in my book.....Since class has stopped I don't think I've written two pages. Oh well, I'll get back to it I'm sure.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2008, 08:07 PM   #21
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
If they don't sometimes, they're not good writers/ficcers. Sometimes, the only thing you can do with a story is give up on it and move on to something else because you're really not going anywhere with it, and you're wasting time when you could be writing something else.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2008, 08:18 PM   #22
Shalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
I fic because
a) I can't stop myself
b) I want to explore Anne's worlds further and - possibly most important -
c) I don't yet have enough faith in the long term viability of the world I've created myself to launch myself fully into it, so I prefer to gain valuable writing experience in those fabulous worlds Anne has supplied us with
Have we ever seen any of your work? I don't remember it, unless it's under a different name.
Old Mar 14 2008, 05:59 PM   #23
Anneli
Weyrwoman

No, none of my stuff has been posted under my name, although we have been considering posting some of the Pern stories which Cheryl, Hans and I have written as collaborations over the last 10 years, most recently the story for Lady Maelin's Mastery which we gave her in hard copy in Copenhagen

Personally, I'm arrogant (ambitious? ) enough to hope that one day I will write something for publication, so even though I use Pern as a backdrop where I can experiment with writing, I don't tend to post online as I might eventually re-use some of the thoughts in a more original context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
Have we ever seen any of your work? I don't remember it, unless it's under a different name.
Old Jul 28 2009, 11:17 PM   #24
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxDrake View Post
I write speculative "what-ifs" for Pern post Aivas as that's what interests me the most... I like working with my own characters and they sort of jump out with their own stories. Why? Because I like playing in Anne's world.

X
I gotta agree with OnyxDrake here! The 'speculative what if's' are FUN. I do prefer original characters, but that's just me; I like the challenge of making up my own people and situations, even though the world it all happens on has already been established.

I also like writing with canon characters, but putting them in situations of my own choosing- I guess that would be considered 'Alternate Universe', wouldn't it?What I liked most about writing with canon characters is the speed of it-WOW- how they think and move and dress and behave is already established, so all I feel that I have to do is add plenty of discription (and plot, of c ourse) to flesh out the story and make it my own.

Basically, I write because I enjoy expressing myself through the written word.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30 2009, 07:45 AM   #25
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Actually, I find it harder to write fanfic than original fiction. I have to stick to someone else's rules. If I'm doing original fiction I can make up the rules.

Also, I like to explore the fuzzies in Anne's world. Anywhere else, they'd be the edge of the map, where it's written, "Here Be Dragons." What's it like for the ordinary people of Pern, not riders or lord holders, but cot-holders, a drudge, a herbalist/midwife, the holdless ... One day I might even FINISH the thing!
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote