A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Feb 26 2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
Default Question about Dragonflight Editions

Ok, so I have a question regarding the 3 HC 1st editions of DF.

Why is the 1978 Del Ray HC considered to be the 1st "official" HC of the book when, both the Walker & Co and the Rapp & Whiting editions preceded it by 9 years?

I have always wondered and now I just want to know.

So, why?

Thanks....
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Default Re: Question about Dragonflight Editions

Is no one able to this for me?
Old Feb 27 2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Not sure what you mean here, Sam.

The Walker & Co. is the original first HC and if someone says the DelRey is, they are simply wrong. In my opinion this can't have anything to do with "official" either. The only thing I can come up with is that when DelRey started to publish Anne's books they were the publisher that published the whole series (in sequence)

What I do know is that people are used to the HC being pblished first, which is NOT the case with Dragonflight. The paperback was published earlier than the hardcover. So while the Walker & Co. edition is the first hardcover it is not, technically spoken, the first edition of Dragonflight

Oh Hang on

THAT'S where your "discrepancy" comes from. The first edition of Dragonflight is the DelReay (!) paperback (the hardcver was published 1978). So somebody mistook DelRey edition for HC instead of mmp. So DelRey is the first edition Dragonflight (albeit in mmp) and Walker os the first hardcover ed.!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Thanks Hans, that has answered part of my question.

But I am still a little confused... It was you who told me that the Del Rey HC was the 1st "official" (your word) HC of DF. I am not sure how to post a link to a previous thread ( I probably should learn how - feel free to tell me), but if you refer to my previous thread entitled "Oh my goodness, it's mine - thanks mum!", you will see what I mean. It is the thread I started when I purchased my copy of the Del Rey HC edition.
Old Feb 27 2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmpf, yes I did (as I discovered) and you can even link to a post: http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...5&postcount=15

[by the way, just open a thread or even a post in a new browser window and copy/paste the link that is appearing in the address line of your browser]

BUT I typed that wrong and you will read that on the same line I explained what I said above, that the mmp was the first ediiton. So while I was typing that I mst have thought we were taling about a Walker ed. How stupid. On the other hand, it is easy, because I can now safely assur you that I was mistyping that and that the Walker is the first HC while DelRey published the first edition (as I should have stated more clearly in my original post). So, sorry for the confusion my friend. It proves I am only human

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2011, 11:35 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Whew...I'm glad to have this all cleared up...I was a bit confused about this one.
I do have the signed first editon paperback, and the 1978 Del Rey HC signed... but not the Walker edition, I was pretty sure that the paperback was the true first...but wasn't absolutely sure after reading this.
I knew that either you Hans, or Cheryl would come to the rescue, with the proper answer.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2011, 02:49 AM   #7
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Hans, thank for answering this for me. This has finally cleared up something I always found confusing. And yes, you are allowed to goof every once in a while.

Lady M - I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found it all a little confusing. Makes me feel better!
Old Feb 28 2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Good thing that MoM has such wonderful AMC experts at hand...helps keep us all in the know

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 1 2011, 01:08 AM   #9
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Absolutely! I dont know what I'd do without MoM and everyone here!
Old Mar 3 2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Just to add to the confusion

The First Edition of Dragonflight as a paperback book (that is, as a full story rather than the serialisation in Analog magazine) is dated from 1968 Ballantine Books, with a First Printing of July 1968 and an incorrect attribution of copyright to Ann McCaffrey (sic)

Unless, of course, anyone else has an even earlier version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The first edition of Dragonflight is the DelReay (!) paperback (the hardcver was published 1978). So somebody mistook DelRey edition for HC instead of mmp. So DelRey is the first edition Dragonflight (albeit in mmp) and Walker os the first hardcover ed.!

Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2011, 09:27 PM   #11
Samsara
Dragon Healer

I do have the 1st ed Ballantine paperback thanks to Becky selling it to me. I still need the Corgi one though.
Old Mar 3 2011, 10:29 PM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Yes I've been helped on several occasions by follow Mom'er's and have helped others in lieu there-of on other times so I'd agree that it's a very helpful community at times.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2011, 01:00 AM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Lord...without the *Expert Help* I found here on MoM, I wouldn't have any part of what could be considered a true collection of Anne's wonderful books...not counting all of her lovely signed photos and odds and ends, I have collected since becoming a member.

Plus some of the best friends anyone could ask for...

Old Mar 5 2011, 12:54 AM   #14
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Agreed!
Old Mar 10 2011, 05:39 PM   #15
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Samsara, I have a spare Corgi FE paperback that I'd be happy to send you for P&P plus a small charitable donation, I'd like it to go to a suitable home It's not pristine, but it's in good condition.

I'll be offline for a few days from tomorrow, if you're interested PM me and I'll get back to you next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I do have the 1st ed Ballantine paperback thanks to Becky selling it to me. I still need the Corgi one though.
Old Mar 10 2011, 09:40 PM   #16
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Oh Anneli, thank you! That would be great!

I'll PM you my details when I get to work. I'm on my way there now.

Yay!!

PM sent!

Last edited by Samsara; Mar 11 2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: adding
Old Mar 15 2011, 06:58 PM   #17
Anneli
Weyrwoman

PM sent
Old Mar 18 2011, 03:52 PM   #18
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Book sent
Old Mar 19 2011, 08:33 AM   #19
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Thanks Anneli! If you PM your details, I'll arrange payment for you!
Old Mar 29 2011, 08:54 PM   #20
Samsara
Dragon Healer

The book arrived yesterday Anneli!! Thank you so much, I love it!

Please let me know how much I owe you for postage... I'm tossing up between a couple charities also... It's between the RSPCA (my favourite charity for animals), or maybe this time to the victims of all the natural disasters we've had lately... Not sure which one...
Old Mar 31 2011, 03:54 PM   #21
Anneli
Weyrwoman

You're more than welcome I'm amazed it arrived so quickly since I sent it by the cheapest (slowest ) option. To be honest, postage was a lot less than I had expected/feared, at £3.20. I have no idea what that is in Australian dollars, but in the circumstances I suggest you add the equivalent amount to your charitable donation and - if I may be so bold as to make the choice for you - send it to the natural disaster relief since there have been such horrors in New Zealand and Japan recently.

So glad you like the book and that it's found a good home

Quote:
The book arrived yesterday Anneli!! Thank you so much, I love it!

Please let me know how much I owe you for postage... I'm tossing up between a couple charities also... It's between the RSPCA (my favourite charity for animals), or maybe this time to the victims of all the natural disasters we've had lately... Not sure which one...
Old Mar 31 2011, 08:33 PM   #22
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Thanks Anneli! It has definatly found a good home!

I have had a think about the charities and I think you are right, so natural disasters it is. What is happening in Japan is terrible but I think I wlll stay close to home on this one, and donate to the NZ Earthquake appeal. 3 pounds must be about $7, so I will make a donation of $15 to the relief fund. How does that sound?
Old Apr 3 2011, 05:43 PM   #23
Anneli
Weyrwoman

That sounds great, Samsara, as long as you're happy that the book is worth it I don't want to deprive a good cause of any funding, but as far as I'm concerned, just give what you can on top of the postage and that's fine by me

Quote:
I have had a think about the charities and I think you are right, so natural disasters it is. What is happening in Japan is terrible but I think I wlll stay close to home on this one, and donate to the NZ Earthquake appeal. 3 pounds must be about $7, so I will make a donation of $15 to the relief fund. How does that sound?
Old Apr 3 2011, 10:05 PM   #24
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Thanks Anneli! Consider it done!