A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 14 2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Some of Hans' latest AMC collection additions

There have been a good box (or two) worth of books that has been residing with my good friend Cheryl for about half a year until it found its way to Europe. I then neglected to take pictures and almost forgot about the books and other stuff. Today I was PM-ing back and forth with Samsara about some collectibles and remembered!

A few years or so ago, I added "The Ascent of Wonder" to my list of books to acquire, since I have a sub collection with all Pern short stories (almost complete) and this book holds "Weyr Search". So, finally I have a copy of this thick book with its many, many stories, good for a winter's evening... erm... week.

Next is another Pern Collectors Item I haven't seen on eBay, or elsewhere, very often: an ARC (uncorrected proof) of Dragonseye (published as Red Star Rising in the UK). It doesn't have the later, ugly, Pern ARC covers but sports the art that was also on the real book.

Nothing to do with Pern but too good to pass on is this pristine first edition of Jane Yolen's (ed.) compilation of Arthurian short stories "Camelot". It holds the AMC short "Black Horses for the King", that formed the basis for the later novel.

Back to Pern and something I have really coveted for quite a while: one of the school books that holds part of Dragonsong. This volume, titles "Another Earth, Another Sky" holds a "short story" by Anne (read: book excerpt) they titled "Rescue at the Dragonstones". Any Pern fan will immediately know which part of the book is excerpted It is nicely illustrated but I'll show you those pictures when I do the Colelcting Highlight on this book.

Ok then... I'll show you the title page illustration, too.

Another steal for just a handful of dolars was an unabridged audio CD book of The White Dragon. Couldn't resist it.

Thy are surprisingly hard to find and acquire: the Del Rey Trade Paperback editions with the Michael Whelan artwork in a circle on the cover. I was lucky enough to find and win Dragonflight in this version:

The ARC uncorrected proof of "The Rowan" will be sold to make money for the last few Pern books I want to add to my collection. It came in a lot with other ARC's.

This Locus magazine issue of June 1986 holds an Anne McCaffrey interview I still lacked.

starting page of the interview:

And last but not least a copy of the American Fantasy magazine of the winter of 1988 with a preview of the "Dragonlover's Guide to Pern", more especially about the artist Todd Cameron Hamilton.

Don't you just LOVE Todd's quote on this page: "It's like God calling you up, and asking you for suggestions on what things should look ike..." Just great!

I love this set of pages with, on the right hand one, a sketch for one of the drawings appearing in the book of the space ship.

OK, that's all for now. There was more but those were replacements or better copies of what I already got, or I forgot about them because they are already in their right places. I'll check the inventory list of the shipment later.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Some of Hans' latest AMC collection additions

Cool, after the discussion about the Pern Portfolio, I sticky-beaked at your ebay and found some goodies over the weekend. Thanks for the suggestion and some great photos for a new wishlist

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Wow Hans, those are great! Whoo Hoo! I especially love the Dragonseye proof, you lucky devil you! Very well done on some amazing finds. I'm officially jealous.... but very happy for you of course!

Just one other thing - how long in the states before you got them??? 6 months??? My god, I think I'd perish from anticipation if I had to wait that long!!!

One more thing... did I hear you say you now have some more spares?????

Last edited by Samsara; Jun 15 2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: one other thing...
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2010, 07:38 AM   #4
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Ohhh...nice!

And did you spot the spelling mistake in the 'American Fantasy' article?
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I must admit I haven't read it yet, Sara, only looked at the illustrations. (unless you mean in the quote?)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2010, 10:16 AM   #6
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I must admit I haven't read it yet, Sara, only looked at the illustrations. (unless you mean in the quote?)
No, in the actual article. ^_^
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16 2010, 03:10 AM   #7
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Ok then... I'll show you the title page illustration, too.
That image reminds me another art we have around here some where about the batch,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2010, 10:01 PM   #8
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Hans, you're a naughty boy for getting me started on German editions. Found some that were reasonably priced I've had to learn basic German so that I could "talk" to the sellers as I've said to Samsara via pm. I've had more chances learning Japanese then European languages when I was young so this is something new for me.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote