A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 16 2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Question: e-books and electronic carrying device - WHEN?

Hi my fellow book collectors,

I have a vision of having all (or most) of Anne's books on an A5 sized electronic carrying device whatever it would be called. This way I could always read Anne's books on the train or whenever waiting somewhere. It would be easier to search and find a specific book and a reference within a book whenever discussing Anne's books or Science Fiction topics as such.

I seem to remember a thread or two mentioning a palmpilot and e-books as well as restrictions. However, I have not seen any thread mentioning whether or not it will be possible now or in the near future.

My questions are:
Is it possible already to obtain a device carrying an unlimited number of books?
Will it be possible to obtain the Freedom series, the Talent series, the.... series??
How many authors' books are available?
How long will it take for this technology to reach Denmark?
Or can I buy it already via a friend in USA?
If so, would it work in Denmark with power supply and such?

It would be great to carry all my books around with me electronically! This would not mean that I would discard all my wonderful paper books, not just yet anyway

Children can bring their electronic play toys around - gameboy, PSP - PlayStationPortable, IPod, etc. My son tells me that IPad should be available to download ebooks, but does it work? Can a person download Anne's books on it?

Conclusion: I wish my own portable toy for ebooks, especially Anne's books!

Can you help me?

Does any of you have such a device?

Thank you in advance for your wonderful answers!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Question: e-books and electronic carrying device - WHEN?

Nina,

A lot of questions

Any PDA (indepent of Opertaing System), smartphone and the special book readers or netbooks (mini laptops) can carry ebooks. Unlimited doesn't exist but you can think of many hundreds or several thousand, depending on the storage space on the device.

What's available? almost all of Anne's. Go to www.fictionwise.com or www.erader.com and search for author McCaffrey to see about availability and prices. if you have decide on a special bookreader then you'de have to buy the format supported by that; so pay close attention to formats (e.g. do a search for eboo formats), ranging from PDF to Microsoft reader to Mobipocket etc. Preferably an open standard would be best of course but watch if your chosen device supports it.
Apart from that there are little programs (probably illegal) which can convert your e.g. Microsoft Reader files to any other (I have such a program).

To be able to download books anywhere you need a reader device with WiFi / internet access, like the Kindle or Apple iPad or a PDA with such.

Yes, I have both a PDA with almost all of Anne's books on it (to take with me everywhere) and also an iPhone that serves as a bookreader if I wish (Apple's ree sftware for that is called Stanza). I am planning to buy an iPad when I visit the USA later this year.

Prices of ebooks are nice but I will still prefer to (also) own the real thing. What;s also nice is that thousands of classic titles from all of Shapespear to Dracula and from Kipling;s books to Alice in Wonderland are available totally free because they are ot subject to copyright anymore (search for free ebooks).
Also some publishing houses will give good titles out or free (e.g. Suvudu by Del Rey who also gave away an McCaffrey/Scarborough title) to entice you to buy the rest of the series!

I use it as an extra, especially for travel and holidays. I rpesonally find I'd rather read a paper book than an ebook even though I am well aware that paper books cost trees and more money
The technology itself is already available in Denmark I'm sure but I can't say how many titles are available as Danish language ebooks.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Nina
Talent

Finder

Thank you, Hans, for your answer

However, this did not exactly make things less complicated

A quick search revealed that some of my favourite Anne books are not at all available, e.g. The Rowan or the Freedom series or ...

As I am worried about formats and compatibility, I can see that I will have to consult someone who can answer all my stupid questions in person. Would an employee in a bookstore know or should I ask the sellers of technology?

Well, I knew that this could not be as easy as all that

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Old May 17 2010, 04:51 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Nope, I don't think someone in a bookstore would have the knowledge or inclination

Best thing still is research this yourself on the internet.

I personally have the books you mention, so they must be or have been available...
I shouldn't promote illegal sources but I am 100% sure all the books you mentioned are available in that circuit. So IF they are out of print...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 18 2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

There's also http://books.google.com if you don't mind only getting to read snippets of the books online.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Emeraldcity
Muskie

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Moon Called/Patricia Briggs

Quote:
Is it possible already to obtain a device carrying an unlimited number of books?
Not at this time. I have a Kindle from Amazon and it holds 3500 books.

Quote:
Will it be possible to obtain the Freedom series, the Talent series, the.... series??
Tower and the Hive is the only one available for the Kindle right now... don't know if the others will come online or not (I hope so!!)

Quote:
How many authors' books are available?
THOUSANDS! LOL

Quote:
How long will it take for this technology to reach Denmark?
No idea, sorry

Quote:
Or can I buy it already via a friend in USA?
If so, would it work in Denmark with power supply and such?
If you bought it from a friend in the US you would need the usual converter plug, and a wireless system to upload the books (I assume) .

I adore my Kindle. I will never get rid of real books of course, but because I travel so much the Kindle is a dream come true. I have about 400 books loaded now and it holds 3500. If I have the wireless off, the battery lasts about 2 weeks, otherwise about a week if I have the wireless turned on.
Emeraldcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Bob12
Heavyworlder

Barnes & Noble has 49 of Anne's Books for the Nook. They include all the Dragonrider books, the Crystal Singer books, Todd's Books, the Acorna books, and several with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. Didn't see the Talent or Freedom series listed though. Prices range from just under five dollars to just under eight. The Nook will hold about 1500 books in its basic configuration or several thousand depending on how large a memory card you add. I added 16gb to mine so that works out to about 13,500 books (I believe that's called "second mortgage") based on the basic capacity.
Old May 23 2010, 06:52 AM   #8
Nina
Talent

Finder

Thank you very much, Hans, Greenrider, Emeraldcity and Bob,

it is nice to know that you have made a choice which works for you with travelling and with many of Anne's books, and I am very grateful to hear about it Since this is new for me, I will continue to investigate for a while before settling on a solution for me.

So far these solutions has been suggested:
PDA
iPhone from Apple
Kindle from Amazon
Nook from Barnes and Noble
iPad from Apple

E-books available from:
fictionwise.com
ereader.com
amazon.com
barnesandnoble.com

Format:
Microsoft reader

The above shows what I have understood so far, but if you have any further information or recommendations please do not hold it back. I tend to do a thorough research every time I need a new electronic device. And getting Anne's books electronically is a serious matter for me

Old May 26 2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Nina, I know Sony has an eReader also, so you should add that to your list to research.

An unexpected site to do some research is Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. The main blogger there loves eReaders and has tried pretty much every one on the market and writes about her experiences with them. The downside is she's in America, and some of the info about buying books simply won't apply to you in Denmark - you'll have to find somewhere else to research that piece of the puzzle.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 09:07 AM   #10
Kesal
Angel Islander

also look at Webscriptions

The link goes directly to those of Anne's books available there.

The best part of this site is the Free Library. Loads of good Science Fiction and Fantasy for free. Also, if you do a web search (ie Google) for Baen Free CD's you'll find even more freebies - yes, it's legal.

I started out using a HP iPaq PocketPC to read my ebooks about 5 or more years ago, in Microsoft Reader format. I now use my iPhone with Stanza for what I buy from Webscriptions and I have other books in other formats also on the phone. Unfortunately, the Baen Free CDs did not come with Stanza format files, but as I now own most of those books in hardcopy, that's not so much of an issue.

I have several hundred e-books on my iPhone, along with 1600 songs in iTunes and various other applications, and don't seem to have any memory slowness issues as yet. And it's a 16, not a 32.

Last edited by Kesal; May 26 2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: fixing linkage
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Nina
Talent

Finder

Thank you, all!

I have been doing some more research, so I thought that I would just compile my findings so far:

These solutions has appeared:PDA
iPhone from Apple
Kindle from Amazon
Nook from Barnes and Noble
iPad from Apple
Sony E-Reader http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook
HP iPaq PocketPC
Elonex 511 EB
BeBook Mini
BeBook One 6”
BeBook NEO www.mybebook.com
Bookeen Cybook Opus

E-books available from:fictionwise.com
ereader.com
amazon.com
barnesandnoble.com
http://ebookstore.sony.com/
waterstones.com:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston.../?pageNumber=3
whsmith.co.uk:
http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/EC85D25E...rchID=19708504

Danish e-booksellers:
www.bog-ide.dk
www.boghandleren.dk
www.boegerogpapir.dk
www.gad.dk
www.polyteknisk.dk
www.academicbooks.dk

Format:
Microsoft reader
Stanza (iPhone)
ePUB, PDF, Word, TXT, RTF, BBeB (Sony)

Other links:
e-reader research:
http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php

http://www.webscription.net/s-75-anne-mccaffrey.aspx
Free library:
http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx
google - Baen Free CD's
www.e-medie.dk
Facebook group: e-medie.dk

I found out that THE ROWAN was available at waterstones.com

Well, this was all for now, folks

Old Jun 13 2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Nina, thanks for summarising the results of your research so far

I haven't yet decided what eDevice I want to replace my dead PDA (which is unable to communicate with my current laptop ), so I'm following your research with great interest
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2010, 09:34 PM   #13
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I prefer the written word to ebooks but that doesn't mean I haven't given it a thought yet as we have a lot of music on the compie so far with iTunes and Microsoft Media Player - just haven't got round to movies or ebooks yet. So like Anneli, I've been reading this and finding it quite interesting. Wasn't Bingley asking for something similiar too but for Indonesia instead of Denmark?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14 2010, 03:52 AM   #14
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
I prefer the written word to ebooks but that doesn't mean I haven't given it a thought yet as we have a lot of music on the compie so far with iTunes and Microsoft Media Player - just haven't got round to movies or ebooks yet. So like Anneli, I've been reading this and finding it quite interesting. Wasn't Bingley asking for something similiar too but for Indonesia instead of Denmark?
Yep here http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...758#post164758

Yes, and I an also doing some looking into right now too.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14 2010, 09:42 AM   #15
Bob12
Heavyworlder

I had to do something. The way books follow me home, it was either buy a Nook or build an extension on the house.
Old Jun 14 2010, 04:50 PM   #16
Nina
Talent

Finder

I thought that I might not be the only one

I am glad that you can use my research, and I am not finished researching until I actually buy a device!

Searching for ebooks is not simple. Sometimes I think that I have found THE ebook - only to discover that the search module has found a paperback or a hardback in stead

I am on a working trip right now where I am bringing my laptop, and just to try out ebooks I have bought a "few" ebooks in PDF format for my laptop, AND they are working fine!!!! I am so ready for an ereader device!!

Usually I carefully pick out 3-5 real paper books, only to find that I wished I had brought something else. Carrying a lot of ebooks on a device is definitely the way to go for me and much handier than this laptop of mine

Now it just comes down to which device to choose - still researching........

Old Jul 15 2010, 05:19 PM   #17
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

2cent Re: Question: e-books and electronic carrying device - WHEN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Thank you, all!

I have been doing some more research, so I thought that I would just compile my findings so far:

These solutions has appeared:PDA
iPhone from Apple <Sinp>
Other links:
e-reader research:
http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php

http://www.webscription.net/s-75-anne-mccaffrey.aspx
Free library:
http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx
google - Baen Free CD's
www.e-medie.dk
Facebook group: e-medie.dk
http://www.facebook.com/Hadley.Young.Visionaries?v=wall | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxQ2qKShvmc X-post from here http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...9&postcount=13 | Braille or Audio
PS add titles using | is the only way I can explain my self
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Mar 9 2011, 05:49 AM   #18
Nina
Talent

Finder

I just realised that I have not updated my thread about e-readers

I have bought the Ebook from Elonex 511. The screen is just like reading a real book with no back lighting. The Ebook is already "old" and with no extra features like the Kindle, which one of my colleagues has. Basically I use my Ebook as a USB stick to upload ebooks from my computer and READ.

I have discovered the riches of reading the old and free books on www.gutenberg.org, and I just love the old classics - still wondering why I have not read them before

Besides I have managed to get all Annes books, except one or two, onto my Ebook, and I just love having them with me always and everywhere!!

just loving to read Anne's books!!!

Old Mar 9 2011, 10:46 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Congratulations Nina!

Old Mar 9 2011, 11:02 PM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Great news that you finally got what you were wanting and are now able to have most of Anne's books with you...wherever you go.

Personally I still take the real thing...I love having a real book to read and take along with me.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2011, 04:23 AM   #21
Nina
Talent

Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Great news that you finally got what you were wanting and are now able to have most of Anne's books with you...wherever you go.

Personally I still take the real thing...I love having a real book to read and take along with me.
Lady Maelin, but it is like having a real book, my Lady! I just have 400 books with me and that way I can change my mind as to what I want to read right now! This is what I wanted - to be able to change my mind

Hans, thank you, it is great reading on my new device

Old Mar 11 2011, 11:43 PM   #22
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Lady Maelin, but it is like having a real book, my Lady! I just have 400 books with me and that way I can change my mind as to what I want to read right now! This is what I wanted - to be able to change my mind

Hans, thank you, it is great reading on my new device

Nice to hear,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons